Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

John Metz, Denny's Franchisee And Hurricane Grill & Wings Owner, Imposes Surcharge For Obamacare

"If I leave the prices the same, but say on the menu that there is a 5 percent surcharge for Obamacare, customers have two choices. They can either pay it and tip 15 or 20 percent, or if they really feel so inclined, they can reduce the amount of tip they give to the server, who is the primary beneficiary of Obamacare," Metz told The Huffington Post. "Although it may sound terrible that I'm doing this, it's the only alternative. I've got to pass the cost on to the consumer."

by Anonymousreply 5211/15/2012

So anyone can make up a surcharge for any reason? This Is legal?

by Anonymousreply 111/15/2012

USA is doomed

by Anonymousreply 211/15/2012

And Rebublicans wonder why they lost.

by Anonymousreply 311/15/2012

Anyone near his restaurants...don't go.

by Anonymousreply 411/15/2012

Would this be because Obamacare has kicked in just this last week? Was it established as soon as Obama was re-elected? What are these people trying to claim? And why should I pay an "Obamacare surcharge" if these people's expenses haven't actually changed in real life since last week?

by Anonymousreply 511/15/2012

Employers who attempt to do this should receive steep fines, and if they continue to not comply, should then be jailed.

by Anonymousreply 711/15/2012

These people are so tiresome. I'd like to see even more transparency. Include a full breakdown of the cost of doing business. I take it Denny's wasn't offering healthcare benefits previously?

by Anonymousreply 811/15/2012

If you REALLY have to pass the cost on to the customer, which businesses have faced for all of time, then just raise the prices as is usually done and don't announce it.

He's a drama queen attention whore.

by Anonymousreply 911/15/2012

What R9 said.

by Anonymousreply 1011/15/2012

Yep. A drama queen attention whore with bad business sense.

The Republicans won't patronize him realizing his costs have gone up. The Democrats won't patronize him because he's a douche.

by Anonymousreply 1111/15/2012

A good employer naturally provides minimal benefits to his employees. These costs are naturally passed on to the consumer as a regular part of doing business. If you are forced to be a better employer by providing mandatory health care benefits, it only reinforces your membership0 in the 1% Club for 100% douches.

Another vote for Romney Drama Queen.

by Anonymousreply 1211/15/2012

Yet another argument for Single Payer, Universal Health Care which will always be the only real solution.

by Anonymousreply 1311/15/2012

[quote]Anyone near his restaurants...don't go.

Anyone who likes good...don't go.

Denny's sucks.

by Anonymousreply 1411/15/2012

Hey! Look, kids! A talking anus owns a restaurant!

by Anonymousreply 1511/15/2012

That should have said, "Anyone who likes good food...don't go."

Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 1611/15/2012

Denny's? Lenny's? Whoever you are ~ does this mean you haven't provided health care for your employees before this? Also, are you aware that ObamaCare doesn't go into effect for over a year? Also, are you aware that the food you serve is essentially unsavory and unnecessary?

by Anonymousreply 1711/15/2012

Behold: A business owner who is not as smart as he thinks he is, clasping a worn photo of Ayn Rand to his chest as he sets his business empire afire.

R11 has it exactly right. If the fool clings to his publicity tantrum, he will be supplanted by some other cheap eatery that does NOT alienate its own customers. Sayonara, motherfucker.

by Anonymousreply 1811/15/2012

No, r5, Obamacare has not yet kicked in, and you should not pay any such surcharge. The Denny's owner is indeed just a drama queen attention whore, like the various and sundry other double baggers (and by double, I mean "douche" + "tea") around the country who have announced employee layoffs, melodramatically cancelled their cable service, and even swallowed all the pills in their considerable psychotropic arsenal in anticipation of financial catastrophe that has yet to arrive.

by Anonymousreply 1911/15/2012

This guy must be fun to hangout with.

by Anonymousreply 2111/15/2012

'Odumbo'??? This is your idea of an insult, I take it. It doesn't rhyme, doesn't fit in with his name, and brings to mind a cute animated elephant. Probably not what you're looking for ...

by Anonymousreply 2211/15/2012

Did this douchebag pass along reduced prices to his customers for any government tax breaks he may have been receiving?

by Anonymousreply 2311/15/2012

Is there something in Republican DNA that makes them want to be a major asshole at the slightest provocation?

Just curious.

by Anonymousreply 2411/15/2012

"customers have two choices. They can either pay it and tip 15 or 20 percent, or if they really feel so inclined, they can reduce the amount of tip they give to the server"

He forgot the obvious choice for anyone who has a brain and taste buds: don't eat at his restaurants!

See, it's easy.

by Anonymousreply 2511/15/2012

Another racist franchise. They don't like serving African-Americans. Boycott these fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 2611/15/2012

Sorry, I'm not a business owner ....but won't there be some type of 'return' to business owners contributing to their employees health benefits when this all kicks in ?

If so, he's looking to take advantage of any of that type of thing AND charge a surcharge upfront as well ??

If so, yea ...sounds Republican to me ....

If not, aren't employee wages and benefit costs part of what a business is already reporting when they do their taxes ?

by Anonymousreply 2711/15/2012

"I've got to pass the cost on to the consumer."

Fine.

Do so in silence.

Such a drama queen, this bitch!

by Anonymousreply 2811/15/2012

r6 & r20: Do us all a favor and go purchase a tanning salon in Key West.

by Anonymousreply 2911/15/2012

I have come to the conclusion that Republicans are the WHINIEST crybaby motherfuckers on this entire PLANET!!!

If they don't get their way, they will cry, and cry, and whine, and stomp their collective little feet, hoping someone will pay them attention.

Fortunately for us, he'll go out of business, and this world will be better for it.

It's true that Republicans really don't get it. Americans voted AGAINST Romney and the Republicans, yet instead of yielding to the will of the people, they are becoming MORE obstinate, and irrational, and spiteful, and hateful.

The good news is that Republicans will continue to lose.

by Anonymousreply 3011/15/2012

I own a business and pass along all rising costs to the consumer. That's what ALL successful businesses do if they want to continue to thrive. You don't put a sign in the window announcing it though.

by Anonymousreply 3111/15/2012

Considering his food is so loaded with fat,sodium and sugar and contributing to the ever declining health of the average American he should have to pay his employee's AND his customer's health care cost.

by Anonymousreply 3211/15/2012

Interesting that these threats are coming from owners of big corporations not little mom and pop businesses. Denny's is doucheville anyway; I would never eat there.

by Anonymousreply 3311/15/2012

ITA @ R32. There should be a tax on all fast food that goes into a general fund for Universal Healthcare.

by Anonymousreply 3411/15/2012

I don't think it's all Denny's, R33, just one douchebag franchisee. I'm not sure if Denny's is corporately owned by some Rethug, but if not then hopefully they pull his franchise from him.

by Anonymousreply 3511/15/2012

R33, why would you expect a quote from the owner of a little bakery or pizza shop to make national news?

Mom and Pop's don't pay benefits anyway--never have, nor will they be required to under Obamacare. They don't have anything to complain about.

Boycotting Denny's and PJ's and giving your business to a local Mom and Pop shop does nothing to support healthcare for all people.

by Anonymousreply 3611/15/2012

Obviously what he is doing is making an additional five percent profit during the period before Obamacare kicks in at 2014. He is just excusing his greed.

by Anonymousreply 3711/15/2012

D.R.A.M.A Q.U.E.E.N

by Anonymousreply 3811/15/2012

there'll be more of these

by Anonymousreply 3911/15/2012

So, let me get this straight....

First, he is increasing his prices to pass along to consumers a cost he has not yet incurred.

Second, he is cutting the hours of his (probably) below-minimum-wage employees, so that he can avoid incurring that cost.

And then, third, he is encouraging consumers to lower their tips by the amount of that unincurred cost, thereby effectively shifting the expense to the employees.

I WAS going to end with a nasty comment about this guy, but I find myself speechless.

by Anonymousreply 4011/15/2012

I notice that all these douchebag restaurant owners complaining about Obamacare are purveyors of the most vile, unhealthy food imaginable. Just avoiding their poisonous crappy food and eating healthy meals at home I think, would lighten the burden on our healthcare system considerably. Healthcare costs drop, these douchebags go out of business, everybody wins.

by Anonymousreply 4111/15/2012

Can they wait for Obamacare to start (2014) before they do all this. It's just bullshit now.

by Anonymousreply 4211/15/2012

What these douchebags think is that if they whine and throw a public tantrum, Obama will just say, "You're right. Let's just uninsure 46 million people to make you feel better."

by Anonymousreply 4311/15/2012

Denny's has been a racist, homophobic pesthole for decades. Who in their right mind would eat there, anyway?

by Anonymousreply 4411/15/2012

The choice doesn't have to be employer paid healthcare or none at all genius @ R43.

by Anonymousreply 4511/15/2012

The cost of him providing health insurance to his workers does not increase depending on how much money the restaurant makes. That he is making the surcharge a percentage of the bill tells me he is just looking at a way to fleece his customers, punish his employees and make a political statement. So, fuck him. Fuck him with something hard and sandpappery.

by Anonymousreply 4611/15/2012

[quote]Denny's has been a racist, homophobic pesthole for decades.

Exactly. In the early '90s they were sued for outright refusing to serve black customers, making them wait inordinately long times to be seated, or making them pay for their food up-front.

by Anonymousreply 4711/15/2012

What a creep this Metz guys is. He's raised prices in the past and will do it again, but if he thinks combining his business decisions to his politics is going to be good for his business, then he must be financially secure and close to retirement age. He's one screwed up person.

Let the bastard charge whatever he wishes and let's see if his businesses survive.

by Anonymousreply 4811/15/2012

With the respect he has for his employees I bet his restaurants are a great place to work. And you can be sure that the happiness of those workers is reflected in the food and service.

Surly and haphazard service can only lead to better sales, surely this guy is a business genius.

by Anonymousreply 4911/15/2012

r42, from the article at HP,

[quote]He planned to use the 5 percent surcharge tactic in all his restaurants starting in January 2014, when Obamacare is fully implemented.

by Anonymousreply 5011/15/2012

My boss and I were talkig about this and he said that he's confused. He gets a payroll tax credit for providing health insurance (which he always provided) plus now he gets a rebate from the insurance company at the end of the year which he says is part of Obamacare. He doesn't understand what all the flap is about.

by Anonymousreply 5111/15/2012

Thank you r51.

These businesses are fleecing people and trying to make a political statement over it.

People who want to hate Obama will use any excuse - not facts.

by Anonymousreply 5211/15/2012
Need more help? Click Here.