Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Karl Rove’s Crossroads GPS Never Filed Legally Required Registration

EXCLUSIVE: Karl Rove’s Crossroads GPS Never Filed Legally Required Registration

By Josh Israel on Nov 14, 2012 at 5:00 pm

When Karl Rove’s Crossroads Grassroots Policy Strategies (GPS) formed in 2010, it established its official address in Warrenton, VA, and registered with the Internal Revenue Service a tax-exempt 501(c)(4) “social welfare organization.” It apparently did not, however, register as a charitable organization with the Commonwealth of Virginia, as appears was legally required.

According to state code, non-profit groups that intend to solicit contributions must first register with the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Office of Charitable and Regulatory Programs. Groups must pay an annual fee ($325 for groups raising over $1 million annually), provide basic information about their operations, and must sign statements affirming that no funds “have been or will knowingly be used, directly or indirectly, to benefit or provide support, in cash or in kind, to terrorists, terrorist organizations, terrorist activities, or the family members of any terrorist.”

The Virginia law explicitly exempts political campaign committees that are “required by state or federal law to file a report or statement of contributions and expenditures.” Crossroads GPS has consistently kept its contributors secret as it has raised and spent tens of millions of dollars against Democratic candidates.

While the group’s federal tax filings and registration with the District of Columbia indicate that it is a Virginia corporation — and Crossroads GPS did apparently register with the state’s corporation commission — the Office of Charitable and Regulatory Programs confirmed to ThinkProgress that no entity named Crossroads GPS or Crossroads Grassroots Policy Strategies has ever registered to solicit contributions in Virginia. Additionally, no entity with the tax identification number listed on Crossroads GPS’s tax filings has ever registered with the agency.

A spokesman for Crossroads GPS did not respond to a ThinkProgress request for comment.

by Anonymousreply 3311/23/2012

Can we send Karl Rove to jail then?

by Anonymousreply 111/14/2012

In other words, he's a dirty rotten tax cheat.

by Anonymousreply 211/14/2012

r1 / r2 - HELLO, real world calling...

by Anonymousreply 311/14/2012

The 1%ers who donated now have their loophole to sue to get their money back.

by Anonymousreply 411/14/2012

More importantly, the rich donors might have just lost their invisibility because of this. It'll be fun to see the list of names and how much they donated.

by Anonymousreply 511/14/2012

The idea of Karl Rove running a charity is like Hannibal Lecter throwing a Tupperware party.

by Anonymousreply 611/14/2012

If Karl Rove is involved in the non-registration, then he knew exactly what he was doing. This was all thought through--and I'm sure somehow he and/or his donors will benefit by this supposed "mistake."

by Anonymousreply 711/14/2012

Any hopes that Virginia AG Ken Cuccinelli will go after Rove?

I so love internacine war.

by Anonymousreply 811/14/2012

Love you, R-6.

by Anonymousreply 911/14/2012

im not normally a cynical/paranoid person, but doesn't it seem a little *convenient* that this is coming up _after_ the failed election?

sounds like a very easy way to get rid of Rove, and possibly refund the donors.

by Anonymousreply 1011/14/2012

This can only be a good thing, R10. Republicans lose all around with this one.

by Anonymousreply 1111/14/2012

my point is the rich donors probably _wont_ lose if they get their money back, _if_ that's what is going on. on the other hand they would probably have to release their names to get the money...Sophie's Choice?

by Anonymousreply 1211/14/2012

[quote] According to state code, non-profit groups that intend to solicit contributions must first register with the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Office of Charitable and Regulatory Programs. Groups must pay an annual fee ($325 for groups raising over $1 million annually), provide basic information about their operations, and must sign statements affirming that no funds “have been or will knowingly be used, directly or indirectly, to benefit or provide support, in cash or in kind, to terrorists, terrorist organizations, terrorist activities, or the family members of any terrorist.”

Of course he didn't sign/file this paperwork. He didn't want to lie on the official form. The republicans are a terrorist party and he did provide a lot of support.

by Anonymousreply 1311/14/2012

R10, why are you using the underline for emphasis?

by Anonymousreply 1411/14/2012

If he didn't register in the State that's a stone throw from the US capital, where else did he fuck up?

by Anonymousreply 1511/14/2012

Nothing will happen to Rove.

He outed a CIA agent and nothing happened to him then.

Nothing will happen now.

They'll let him sign some retroactive document

by Anonymousreply 1611/14/2012

God I wish he'd be arrested, tried, convicted, and thrown in prison for the rest of his life.

by Anonymousreply 1711/14/2012

... and then killed in prison.

by Anonymousreply 1811/14/2012

Is this more stifling red tape that prevents job creation?

by Anonymousreply 1911/14/2012

[quote] sounds like a very easy way to get rid of Rove, and possibly refund the donors.

He can't refund any money. He already spent it

by Anonymousreply 2011/14/2012

He may be legally required to return what has not been spent. This will be fun. I hope it makes it to the mainstream media. Not enough people read ThhinkProgress. In the end, he'll pay a fine. But disclosing the names will be wonderful. That's a very important win.

by Anonymousreply 2111/14/2012

I decided to bump this thread because I want to wallow in being vengeful and vindictive. I want to see his porcine ass fry. I harbor no illusions that Rove will go to jail. I would love to see him pay a fine. But even more important is the "court of public opnion."

I would be delighted to see the media go after him, and continue to portray him as arrogant, comical, and inept. I want to de-fang the son of a bitch! I want to reduce him to a clownish figure who can't even get into the foyer of one of the Koch brothers' offices.

I want to see him as the butt of jokes and an object of ridicule. For someone as arrogant as Rove to be seen as a joke, and an importent has been whose phone calls don't get returned woiuld be hellish for him and delicious for us.

If it could be arranged, I'd love to see Murdoch & Co. cancel his WSJ contract. The media needs to monitor the prick for ever excess.

by Anonymousreply 2211/23/2012

The rules apparently don't apply to the wealthy or to the conservative.

by Anonymousreply 2311/23/2012

[quote]He outed a CIA agent and nothing happened to him then.

He also helped send a Democratic governor (Don Siegelman) to prison.

by Anonymousreply 2411/23/2012

Can any sane person see Rove as anything BUT a criminal con-artist at this point? I don't understand why this freak hasn't been convicted yet.

Oh wait, I know. He knows where the bodies are buried...

by Anonymousreply 2511/23/2012

One thing is for damn sure. No Republican is going to want this man anywhere near their campaign.

He might be discredited as a political pundit but he's totally finished as a campaign adviser and for that I'm eternally grateful.

He's been a scourge on US politics for far too long.

by Anonymousreply 2611/23/2012

Are these donations now tax deductable or are they not? I bet some of the donors get very angry if they are not tax deductable and they have really lost a lot of money on this. Rove is going to get skinned alive by them if they are not getting their money back WITH interest.

by Anonymousreply 2711/23/2012

Rove looks like a serial killer Dahmer Style.

by Anonymousreply 2811/23/2012

There's something so unsavory about the notion of these billionaires putting their money into something with the absolute expectation that if they "invested" in this that they would get something in return: The White House.

If this isn't blatant purchasing of elections then I don't know what is.

I'm just so glad that the American people put the Koch brothers and Sheldon Adelson in their places.

by Anonymousreply 2911/23/2012

I don't understand why lobbying groups are tax exempt. Make them pay taxes on all revenue and disallow donations as a deduction.

They keep talking about return on investment, so clearly no one sees this as charity.

by Anonymousreply 3011/23/2012

Exactly, R30

by Anonymousreply 3111/23/2012

It's pretty easy to apply for a 501c3 tax exempt status for a charitable non-profit organization. Then it's not called "lobbying." It's called "advocacy."

by Anonymousreply 3211/23/2012

R27, I think contributions to the Superpacs is tax deductible. I'm pretty sure I read that either on Thinkprogress or dailykos right after people were saying Rove had lost all those millions.

by Anonymousreply 3311/23/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!