Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cheap but Healthy meals

Last night I just cooked up some tilapia with tandoori spices. Easy and quick. The side veggies were sautéed with a dash of anchovies and garlic. Delicious. It took me 15 minutes total and I LOVE It.

What are some of your best options for making meals at home that are cheap and healthy? Large portions stored away for lunches are good too.

by Anonymousreply 2111/14/2012

If you want cheap, wait a day or two after Thanksgiving and get a whole turkey for almost nothing. It's months worth of low-fat protien!

by Anonymousreply 111/14/2012

Last night I sauteed sliced turkey sausage with onion, garlic, and peas then mixed it with brown rice. Cheap and surprisingly good.

by Anonymousreply 211/14/2012

Tilapia isn't healthy.

by Anonymousreply 311/14/2012

Neither is turkey...

Lentil soup is cheap, healthy, high in iron and fiber.

by Anonymousreply 411/14/2012

I was eating tilapia and enjoying it greatly....

until I read where most of the tilapia is coming from.

Apparently, most of it comes from very dirty tilapia farms in Equador and other parts of South America.

Also, tilapia fish eat feces in the water of these dirty-watered fish farms.

Most of the tilapia in the U.S. markets is not wild caught from fresh waters, but instead comes from dirty fish farms.

After I read all of that, I couldn't eat tilapia any longer. It's a shame because tilapia is about the most economic fish available.

by Anonymousreply 511/14/2012

Damn! I can't even trust fuckin' Tilapia to be good to eat?!

That does it! I'm THIS CLOSE to becoming a vegetarian!

by Anonymousreply 611/14/2012

Vegetarianism isn't healthy, either, R6.

by Anonymousreply 711/14/2012

Lentils and brown rice.

by Anonymousreply 811/14/2012

On our frugal menu this month: Lots of soups and stews.

Mushroom-barley soup

Tomato soup made from Pomi brand tomatoes (no additives)

5-bean casserole with chicken sausage (and a side of Beano!)

Burgundy beef stew

Cream of chicken and wild rice soup (got a fab deal on wild rice, and you only need 1 cup, cooked)

Chicken pot pie pasta from this month's Everyday Food

And...the many variations on the inevitable leftover Thanksgiving turkey.

by Anonymousreply 911/14/2012

Beans and Brown RIce.

And Cocaine.

by Anonymousreply 1011/14/2012

Tilapia, all Atlantic salmon and most shrimp are farm-raised in filthy bacteria-invested cesspools.

So are catfish, but catfish are bottom feeders even in the wild.

by Anonymousreply 1111/14/2012

invested = infested

Mea culpa

by Anonymousreply 1211/14/2012

Cock n ass provide free nutrition

by Anonymousreply 1311/14/2012

R9, What brand of chicken sausage?

R5, Why does what a fish eats affect it's nutritional value?

by Anonymousreply 1411/14/2012

R14, I can answer that. If a fish eats shit, unless it's extremely nutritious shit (which is not the norm), that affects the quality of its flesh.

by Anonymousreply 1511/14/2012

And the tilapia are swimming around in putrid, rancid, disgustingly filthy water at the fish farms.

by Anonymousreply 1611/14/2012

Careful, OP. I once made a thread talking about my love for tilapia, and these bitches skewered me.

by Anonymousreply 1711/14/2012

farm salmon is bad? how bad? i know they add something in the feed to give them the color.

by Anonymousreply 1811/14/2012

The benefits of turkey and peas is that they have tryptophan, a precursor of melatonin and serotonin. That is, they help your body calm itself, feel good, and sleep.

Turkey 90 mg per oz.; cottage cheese 176 mg per oz; peanuts 65 mg per oz.

by Anonymousreply 1911/14/2012

Kimchi fried rice with an egg on top (kimchi bokkeumbap).

Quite cheap because a Korean friend gives me homemade kimchi, I get a brown rice medley in bulk at Costco, & I buy eggs when they're on sale for around $1/doz.

Healthy: lots of fiber, high in vitamins & low in calories (I use more kim chi than rice), protein from the egg. Quite filling & tasty, so a little bit goes a long way. Good with raw vegetables like radishes & green onions, which are also cheap & healthy.

Very easy: cook a lot of rice the day before & use it when it's drier the next day(s) -- then just fry the rice in a little olive oil for a few minutes, add some chopped kimchi & fry that briefly, remove & keep warm, fry an egg sunny side up in the same pan & plop it on top of the rice/kimchi mixture -- sprinkle with soy sauce from a leftover take-out Chinese food packet.

by Anonymousreply 2011/14/2012

And the body also needs B6 to make things with Tryptophan so 1. banana; 2. 3 oz. cooked turkey; 3. peas.

You'll be full and you'll feel good.

by Anonymousreply 2111/14/2012
Need more help? Click Here.