Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Mother of God, they made the Flying Monkeys talk.

"Oz The Great and Powerful" full trailer is out.

This is going to be a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 9003/13/2013

...and they gave him Zach Braff's voice.

James Franco as the Wizard of Oz and Zach Braff as the sarcastic flying monkey sidekick.

I love Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 111/14/2012

Looks pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 211/14/2012

Looks awesome!

by Anonymousreply 311/14/2012

When are they making a "Wicked" movie??

by Anonymousreply 411/14/2012

They won't be, R4, after this one flops like it will...

by Anonymousreply 511/14/2012

Wow!

Three generations of built-in audiences.

Disney'll clean up this Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 611/14/2012

The film was originally scheduled to be released at Christmas, to catch 2012 Oscar buzz and the holiday audiences.

It's been pushed off to March 2013 because it's been deemed a flop.

by Anonymousreply 711/14/2012

March was when Disney released Alice in Wonderland. This is basically Alice in Oz.

by Anonymousreply 811/14/2012

A prequel to The Wizard of Oz and a sequel to Wicked...

by Anonymousreply 911/14/2012

Well, they did talk in the book and actually had a much more fleshed out backstory.

by Anonymousreply 1011/14/2012

Looks like another CGI mess.

by Anonymousreply 1111/14/2012

Why don't actors take diction lessons? None of the actors in the trailer speak with any authority or distinction.

by Anonymousreply 1211/14/2012

A kleptomaniac gets three feebs to aid her in a killing spree and they couldn't get Linds?

by Anonymousreply 1311/14/2012

Looks great to me

by Anonymousreply 1411/14/2012

Looks amazeballs to me.

by Anonymousreply 1511/14/2012

Meh. Who cast Franco in this?

by Anonymousreply 1611/14/2012

I actually think it looks pretty good as these things go. And I imagine it will be a big hit. Not sure why posters would look at that and think "bomb." Not your thing? fine, but it certainly looks like something audiences will like imho.

"Looks like another CGI mess."

Agreed. But that's where films are nowadays. It would have been cool if they'd tried to emulate more the look of the sets and effects of the original, though it does look they've tried somewhat.

Is the story based on one of the Frank Baum books? How closely?

by Anonymousreply 1711/14/2012

Hate Franco but this looks good. Yea, not into CGI but as poster above mentioned, it looks like they tried to copy the look of the film, and if they went with straight sets now that would have killed them on budget.

Though I have to say I LOVE the Wicked Witch' CGI entrance in Munckinland and the Munckin's "No, but we can sing!" Its seems the two hottie non Glinda witches are set up to be the future Witches of the West and East, then who is the Big Green witch?

by Anonymousreply 1811/14/2012

It will be a hit.

by Anonymousreply 1911/14/2012

James Franco is no Johnny Depp.

by Anonymousreply 2011/14/2012

Just my opinion, but sorry - this looks absolutely dreadful. Has the bar been lowered that much that so many of you actually look forward to seeing it?!?

by Anonymousreply 2111/14/2012

Filmmaking has gotten so cheap. The entire film was probably made in a small room surrounded by green screens. What's the point of movies any more if you just let CGI do all the work?

by Anonymousreply 2211/14/2012

"Has the bar been lowered that much?!?"

That's one way to put it, r21. But I might express the same idea as:

Especially compared to other contemporary films, it does look like an interesting, playful idea for a fun movie, you cunt.

by Anonymousreply 2311/14/2012

I agree with r21. James Franco's acting, as seen in the trailer for this film, is unutterably bad. The script was undoubtedly cobbled together by a couple dozen underpaid Disney slaves. I'm sure it'll find a large enough audience because it's a family film and children will love it because they just don't know any better.

by Anonymousreply 2411/14/2012

It looks like a big pile of special effects with mediocre dialouge and lackluster performances. Typical holiday fare. Typical commercial dreck. I'm not going to see it.

by Anonymousreply 2511/14/2012

I predict it will be a huge hit!

by Anonymousreply 2611/14/2012

It just has the smell of flop around it, similar to how you could tell Dark Shadows was going to be a massive bomb before it was even released.

James Franco is a joke. I simply can't take him seriously in any role, his bizarre public persona overshadows everything he does. And his acting sucks in this trailer. In fact, everybody in this movie has at least one Oscar nomination and all of the acting just stinks.

by Anonymousreply 2711/14/2012

Do none of you watch Once Upon A Time?

This looks like a smash to me. I hated Alice in Wonderland, but I took 3 kids and they loved it. This looks like more of the same.

I'll spend the two hours wishing the CGI was painted backdrops and matte shots.

by Anonymousreply 2811/14/2012

It looks absolutely beautiful -- and extremely LOUD. The new Disney model.

by Anonymousreply 2911/14/2012

You know, I would have had no interest in seeing this, but if nothing else, that looks gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 3011/14/2012

I had a nightmare about James Franco last night.

I was buying pink cotton candy at a Walmart and he took my shopping cart. Then, he began complaining about Michael Sneed - a local reporter with bad hair. Awful man.

by Anonymousreply 3111/14/2012

"Mother of God, they made the Flying Monkeys talk"

My usual feeling when I see James Franco or Zach Braff...

by Anonymousreply 3211/14/2012

I find Franco overexposed and tiresome, but I'll take him ANY fucking day over having to suffer Johnny Depp.

by Anonymousreply 3311/14/2012

For the person who asked, this is very, very loosely based on the Baum books. I do agree it looks terrible.

by Anonymousreply 3411/14/2012

Franco is so full of shit that you can smell the reek of him on the Youtube trailer. Why is anyone giving this self-absorbed narcissist any work at all?

by Anonymousreply 3511/14/2012

This is horrible, all that latex and the talking trees, just horrible and you can practically see the wires on the flying monkeys and what is with that miniaturized witch puppet doing the sky writing?

Ghastly.

A flop.

by Anonymousreply 3611/14/2012

What the hell, I put it in my Netflix queue because of the trailer. It looks bizarre enough to be fun, and while I hate the overexposed Franco I love Rachel Weisz.

I just wish they'd put that money into a top-quality version of "Wicked", the book not the musical.

by Anonymousreply 3711/14/2012

The Flying Monkeys talked in The Wiz

by Anonymousreply 3811/14/2012

I thought it looked terrific. Of course, there is the issue of James Franco, who looks less and less like he can actually act, but still, it looks great.

by Anonymousreply 3911/14/2012

The Monkeys talked in the original book, as someone else said. And I am glad they are doing something different then trotting out that "re-telling," of the story with Wicked. I want a real wicked witch, not a politically correct "animal activist." character.

by Anonymousreply 4011/14/2012

Maybe a small problem might be that the Baum books aren't that well beloved in the rest of the world?

by Anonymousreply 4111/14/2012

James Franco ruins everything he's in. Five years from now everyone will shake their heads in disgust that he ever had a career.

by Anonymousreply 4211/14/2012

James Franco is cute, maybe sexy, but that's precisely why he should never have been cast as the Wizard.

Bill Hader -- at least he has some of the ol' Frank Morgan eccentricities...

by Anonymousreply 4311/14/2012

I kept thinking of the old 3D movie on Kids in the Hall with John Candy where EVERYthing LUNGED towards the CAMERA with alarming and comical frequency.

Really, are kids going to beg their parents for those ugly flying pirahnas for xmas?

And I agree about the voices. All this money in effects and visuals, and nobody has a voice strong enough to match.

by Anonymousreply 4411/14/2012

I hate the talking monkey already. He's very Jar Jar Binks-ish. I also agree with the others who think James Franco is a terrible actor - beautifully musky butt, no doubt, but not a serious thespian.

I'm intrigued to see how Mila Kunis will do. She and Rachel Weisz could make the movie work.

by Anonymousreply 4511/14/2012

[quote]What the hell, I put it in my Netflix queue because of the trailer.

You queued a movie that won't be out on DVD for another year.

Srysly.

by Anonymousreply 4611/14/2012

r45, that's provided the script isn't shit, which is asking a lot of mainstream Hollywood these days.

It probably had 17 re-writes before the parts were even cast, and 5 afterwards.

The dialogue re-write would, of course, be done before the actors were cast.

by Anonymousreply 4711/14/2012

Looks like something that would air on the SyFy Channel.

by Anonymousreply 4811/14/2012

Who knew The Wizard was gay, since that's all Franco plays now.

by Anonymousreply 4911/14/2012

You just know Franco really wanted to play Glinda.

by Anonymousreply 5011/14/2012

Well, Sam Raimi is a hell of a better director than Tim Burton and the doll looks to be fantastic CGI.

by Anonymousreply 5111/14/2012

WTF????

I keep getting Get thread 0 status and vanished threads for all the gossip related threads here.

The Warren Beatty and RDJ threads are all gone (or I can't access them)

I can't start a thread on it, or I would.

Is anyone else getting this?

Other threads are coming up OK.

by Anonymousreply 5211/14/2012

Oz the Flop and the Floperful.

by Anonymousreply 5311/14/2012

At Franco's request, they have added a scene where Oz fellates several of the Witch's guards. Of course, he all the penises he sucked were prosthetic.

by Anonymousreply 5411/14/2012

I predict this will be the #1 movie for three weeks straight. Sequel announcement in June.

by Anonymousreply 5511/14/2012

Franco puts a little Community Theater in everything he does.

by Anonymousreply 5611/14/2012

The THREE witches - Weisz, Kunis and esp. Michelle Williams - look great and are terrific actresses.

And Sam Raimi can direct when he really cares about the subject matter (see Spiderman I)

But Franco is just miscasting. He always looks dirty, he mumbles, and he's short. The role calls for someone with more flash, more presence, a real leading man - too bad Joaquin Phoenix wasn't available.

by Anonymousreply 5711/14/2012

Joachin Phoenix is incapable of appearing to have fun, so I'm glad it wasn't him.

I could have lived with Johnny Depp (sans Tim Burton), who was attached at one point. Or Joseph Gordon-Levitt or Ryan Gosling, if the role needed someone younger.

by Anonymousreply 5811/14/2012

God, Joaquin Phoenix would have been worse than Franco.

by Anonymousreply 5911/14/2012

R36, I don't know if you're being ironic, but you are aware that "The Wizard of Oz" did flop on its initial release?

[quote]It's been pushed off to March 2013 because it's been deemed a flop.

That's not such a death sentence anymore, as studios are starting to realize. "Alice in Wonderland" made over $1 billion worldwide, and this year "The Hunger Games" made $686 million. It's because of this that the "GI Joe" sequel was postponed from a summer 2012 release to next March, reason being there will be less competition then.

by Anonymousreply 6011/14/2012

Best comment on Deadline:

"Maybe they shouldn’t have put all the witches in clothing from JCPenney."

by Anonymousreply 6111/14/2012

LOL, r61

I just saw that and was going to ask which one of you bitches wrote it.

The comments were mixed, though. I thought there would be much more cynicism.

by Anonymousreply 6211/14/2012

The CGI is doing all the work in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 6311/14/2012

I guess Disney didn't learn anything from the dismal showing of their previous "Oz" effort back in 1985, "Return To Oz." It starred that cute li'l Fairuza Balk. She was one of the 11 people who saw it.

by Anonymousreply 6411/14/2012

"It's the *pictures* that got small."

by Anonymousreply 6511/14/2012

Instead of this crapfest, why not just film "Wicked"? it's about OZ, has depth and gravitas and probably would rely on ACTING rather than the usual Industrial Lights and Magic b.s.

by Anonymousreply 6611/14/2012

r66, don't fault ILM for hacks who don't know how to write/direct/produce an engaging story CGI enhances, as opposed to a hack crutch, money grab CGI fest (aka the Michael Bay special).

by Anonymousreply 6711/14/2012

Everyone in this thread sounds OLD.

by Anonymousreply 6811/14/2012

Except you, R68; you sound like a person who is young in body but dead in spirit.

by Anonymousreply 6911/14/2012

Is it a musical?

by Anonymousreply 7011/14/2012

This looks terrible. And the acting all around seems subpar. I wonder if George Lucas saw it before he sold Star Wars to Disney.

by Anonymousreply 7111/14/2012

The last I heard Universal was prepping Wicked. It would be based on the stage musical. It was several months ago that Deadline reported it, I guess no progress has been made. They are probably waiting to see how this movie will do.

by Anonymousreply 7211/15/2012

Why is the monkey dressed like a bellman? That's kind of racist.

by Anonymousreply 7311/15/2012

No, Franco is better than Depp and MUCH hotter

by Anonymousreply 7411/15/2012

[quote]Oz the Flop and the Floperful.

Sorry, popular, this film will be popUUUlar.

by Anonymousreply 7511/15/2012

All they have to do is open as wide as possible.

A BOFFO FIRST WEEKEND will earn back nearly half the production costs before word of mouth can dampen the gate.

And if it's NOT A FLOP, well then, all the better.

I think some of you are jumping the gun with a thumbs down. You are leaving out the curiosity factor since the story is so well-known.

by Anonymousreply 7611/15/2012

Return to Oz freaked me out when I was a kid,I imagine that to be what a bad acid trip is like.

by Anonymousreply 7711/15/2012

You really can't compare "Return to Oz," and this movie. The first film was a bit of a mishmash of Baum books, but kept the darkness of his books, especially the original (In the first there were more things then the Witch for Dorothy to fear in Oz.) The shock therapy scene and the Heads in the Chamber scene was a bit of a shock for people expecting the 1939 flavor. Plus, it had Dorothy in it, and Judy Garland is too iconic for anyone to accept anyone else. It looks like this might be keeping just enough of the original's feel and look with adding (to me at least) the unfortunate ironic things all movies have to have now.

Michelle Williams actually looks good as Glinda and they seem to be basing her more on Baum's take, where she was smart and sexy and poweful and not a flighty fairy.

by Anonymousreply 7811/15/2012

I give it a thumbs up

by Anonymousreply 7911/15/2012

"Return to Oz" happens to be a fabulous movie, and Balk made a memorable debut, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 8011/15/2012

A Depp/Burton production would have sunk faster than Dark Shadows and made me just angry. Depp could have done it IF someone was hired to smack him the instant he started doing Willy Wonka or Jack Sparrow shit (every fucking time).

The witches look interesting.

by Anonymousreply 8111/15/2012

From coast to coast queens of a certain age are pouring themselves a white wine and typing Judy.

by Anonymousreply 8211/15/2012

If Depp did it today he would insist on having over the top make up and mustache.

by Anonymousreply 8311/15/2012

The CGI looks lame, but otherwise not so bad.

I'd go see it.

by Anonymousreply 8411/15/2012

It certainly has nothing to do with Wicked. Different author and different concept. I enjoyed it although it confused me, since I thought it was a prequel to Wicked.

by Anonymousreply 8503/12/2013

They should have found an actor who could theoreticlly mature into a Frank Morgan type.

by Anonymousreply 8603/13/2013

Didn't it make $80 million the first weekend?

I love DL film experts.

by Anonymousreply 8703/13/2013

[quote]Maybe a small problem might be that the Baum books aren't that well beloved in the rest of the world?

Tough shit. The Baum books come first and are more important.

The end.

by Anonymousreply 8803/13/2013

Those flying monkeys are the ONLY decent thing about that stupid movie!

by Anonymousreply 8903/13/2013

I thought you were talking about the Vatican for a moment...

by Anonymousreply 9003/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.