Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

All-Purpose Les Miserables Thread

Instead of starting a new one every time something new comes out, here's one for the rest of the year.

Here's the new international trailer.

by Anonymousreply 2811/24/2012

Wow this might turn out to be a good musical for a change.

by Anonymousreply 111/14/2012

At least there won't be any big dance numbers.

by Anonymousreply 211/14/2012

Movie? What movie?!

by Anonymousreply 311/14/2012

So who has read the full book? I read an abridged "Hunchback of Notre Dame" (English translation) and liked Hugo's sly humor.

Does "Les Miserables" have some of the same wit?

by Anonymousreply 411/14/2012

R4 it is looooong but Hugo's writing is very enjoyable.

Lots of descriptions of the streets of Paris.

Lots.

by Anonymousreply 511/14/2012

I can't wait to see this.

I think the more interesting casting would have Jackman playing against type as Javert with Crowe playing Valjean.

I loathe Sascha Baron Cohen.

by Anonymousreply 611/14/2012

Disappointed in the Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen casting. Nothing they did in "Sweeney Todd" warranted them ever appearing in a musical again.

by Anonymousreply 711/14/2012

I'm nervous that Hathaway and Crowe are gonna ruin it, you guys.

by Anonymousreply 811/14/2012

Hathaway is going to win the Oscar. Deservedly. Mark my words.

by Anonymousreply 911/14/2012

R6, thank you! I've been saying the same thing to anyone who would listen! And I'm surprised at the casting of Baron Cohen, 'cause usually Threnadier is played by a singer who is rather chunky, earthy; lower rather than higher voice. Perhaps BC and BC (gee: did I come up with something: "BC" and "BC" (Bonham Carter, hee-hee?!) are a "matched set"? Regardless, cannot WAIT to see!

by Anonymousreply 1011/14/2012

Bump

by Anonymousreply 1111/17/2012

Script is back online for anyone interested.

by Anonymousreply 1211/18/2012

They re-recorded all the singing after shooting.

They are not trumpeting this fact, but that is what it is, a fact.

by Anonymousreply 1311/18/2012

I like Eddie Redmayne but would two drop-dead beautiful women really yearn for him? Couldn't they cast Henry Cavill?

by Anonymousreply 1411/18/2012

Will be a huge disappointment.....watch...bump....

by Anonymousreply 1511/18/2012

r15 also predicted a Mitt Romney landslide victory.

From Daily Mail People lucky enough to be invited to private screenings of Les Miserables this week told me that having the actors sing live, as it were, added a grippingly emotional intensity to the picture (which is already pretty emotional!).

One showing yesterday in central London left the audience moved to tears.

Viewers I spoke to praised the film’s ‘breathtaking’ appearance, and the performance of stars, including Jackman and Anne Hathaway.

They revealed that Russell Crowe, as Inspector Javert, had a scene-stealing moment halfway through which allowed cinema-goers to have a quiet sob.

People who caught yesterday’s screening seemed equally impressed by the younger actors, mentioning Eddie Redmayne’s knockout Marius, Samantha Barks’ moving Eponine, Amanda Seyfried’s touching Cosette, and Aaron Tveit’s enjoyable Enjolras.

And Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter bring the house down as the Thenardiers, unsurprisingly.

I have seen Les Miserables, too, but I’m not allowed to write about it yet, alas.

The fact it’s even ready this far ahead of its January 11 UK opening date (its world premiere is in London on December 5) is a tribute to director Hooper’s tenacity (and that of producers Eric Fellner, Tim Bevan, Cameron Mackintosh and Debra Hayward).

Les Miserables will be a major Oscar and Bafta contender.

by Anonymousreply 1611/22/2012

My 9 year old son has seen the stage version -is there anything in the movie version that is inappropriate in comparison? He would LOVE to see this.

by Anonymousreply 1711/22/2012

So, is what I posted just common knowledge? Or is real gossip once again completely ignored on the Datalounge?

by Anonymousreply 1811/23/2012

Gossip from whom? Post a link if you're going to say stuff without backing it up.

by Anonymousreply 1911/23/2012

Gossip from me, someone who found this out through people and not through anything that can be linked online. It's true. Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 2011/23/2012

Does Anne H. take out her pointy tit bags?

by Anonymousreply 2111/23/2012

This is the most racist movie ever! Not a single black person in a lead role!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2211/23/2012

I agree R22. I'm certain all the racist queens here on DL will support this lame ass piece of shit movie and rave about it simply because it is all white.

by Anonymousreply 2311/23/2012

R17 I hope is a parody post, otherwise they've landed on the wrong site.

by Anonymousreply 2411/23/2012

[quote]Will be a huge disappointment.....watch...bump....

I kinda have the same feeling, too. At most, it will flop in the US, but when foreign gross gets taken into account, it will recoup and make a modest profit. But it won't be a blockbuster, even if's good and a critical darling. After all, it's a musical, period/costume drama, two genres moviegoers tend to avoid.

by Anonymousreply 2511/23/2012

[quote]This is the most racist movie ever! Not a single black person in a lead role!!!!

Funny you say that 'cause in the Liam Neeson film version from 1998, Enjolras (the Aaron Tveit part) was inexplicably played by a black actor, Lennie James.

by Anonymousreply 2611/23/2012

Anne Hathaway is a whore.

by Anonymousreply 2711/23/2012

Deadline reports on the NY & LA screenings yesterday.

From this early standpoint it seems to me that, barring the unlikely chance that the movie bombs, this will be the easiest Oscar horserace since "Return of the King." Toughest competition will be from "Lincoln" but that is a film that requires - gasp - thinking! - but "Les Mis" is everything that Oscar voters love - a gorgeously staged melodrama, appeals to men and women, young and old, international audiences; a large cast, a studio picture, huge marketing & crossover potential... it's the kind of old fashioned event movie Hollywood loves because it makes Hollywood feel good about itself.

Predictions: Best Picture - shoe-in

Best Director: Tough call - Hooper is young and talented but two near-consecutive Director trophies is unheard of. Spielberg has a very good shot at getting his third trophy, dark horse will be David O. Russell.

Best Actor: Shoe-in - Jackman. A commercial leading man who's earned his stripes and is well-liked, the Oscar is his reward. DDL has two and his "Lincoln" performance is not "showy" enough; and Phoenix, who actually gives the best performance of the year, refuses to suck up to the Academy; plus The Master flopped; Bradley Cooper is still too green.

Supporting Actor: Crowe and/or Redmayne will get nominated; very good possibility of Tommy Lee Jones winning for "Lincoln"; also DiCaprio if "Django" is well-received

Supporting Actress: Done deal for Hathaway. Only interest will be which of her costars will be nominated, Seyfriend or Barker.

Screenplay: Nomination in Adapted Category, will lose in "Lincoln."

Rundown as I see it:

Les Mis: 13-14 nominations; will win Picture, Actor, Supporting Actress, Editing, Song, and will split technical categories with Lincoln

Lincoln: Director, Screenplay, maybe Supporting Actor, maybe Score, plus the techs

Silver Linings Playbook: Academy will feel obliged to give it something. Jennifer Lawrence will be the youngest Best Actress winner at age 22.

by Anonymousreply 2811/24/2012
Need more help? Click Here.