Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Echo Park

I'm planning a vacation to LA and am VERY excited about finally seeing Echo Park. I've wanted to visit all my life. Any good hotels in the area? TIA.

by Anonymousreply 1212/04/2012

Not a safe area.

by Anonymousreply 111/14/2012

What is it about Echo Park that made it a lifelong "destination"?

by Anonymousreply 211/14/2012

You a fool.

by Anonymousreply 311/14/2012

I grew up about a mile from Echo Park. There's nothing for a tourist to see there. It's just a neighborhood in LA, though one that is trending apparently. There are a couple of fleabag motels nearby on Sunset but otherwise I can't think of a "good" hotel in EP. The closest ones are probably in Downtown.

I moved away from LA 8 years ago so maybe I've missed out on a lot. My family still lives a mile from EP though.

by Anonymousreply 411/14/2012

Echo Park always been a scruffy, working class neighborhood with a large Mexican pretense -- previously, Mexican-American, now mostly illegals. During the 30s, it was a hot bed of Communism, with those people being mostly Irish and Jewish who lived in the nicer houses in the hills. During the 90s, I heard there was a Commie rest home in the area, as many remained True Believers throughout their lives, and unto death. So, if that Home is still there, I could see Red Diaper babies being interested in a pilgrimage to meet the elders.

There were always gangs in that area, but they became dangerous only after 1980, when drugs, rather than "turf" became their driving force. Lately, there has been a big crackdown by the LAPD, opening up just enough room for the outlander real estate agents to run in and create a "destination" of their own. You know the type -- they call the weeds growing from the curbs, "authentic" the aroma of local taco trucks, "the delightful spell of spice," and the hard and dirty looks of the locals cruising by with subwoofers on max volume as "vibrant." I recently read that the locals have taken to yanking some of these interlopers into the nearest alley to beat the shit out of them, and sending them screeching back to Larchmont. Still, there remains the ubiquitous neo-shops and overpriced eateries that clutter the sidewalk with chairs and are quite beloved by the faraway New York Times. Perhaps you wish to see those?

If so, understand they are all clustered in one or two blocks, and are far smaller than you imagine. Still, if you wish to view the leading edge of a wedge currently being driven to chase minorities and the poor away from the central city, Echo Park is a good place to start.

by Anonymousreply 511/14/2012

Aimee Semple McPherson's Angelus Temple is located in the Echo Park neighborhood. Stop in and tell them you're a close personal friend of Kathie Lee Gifford.

by Anonymousreply 611/14/2012

Is it a good place to go if you're interested in Mexican American culture, or Mexican American cock?

by Anonymousreply 712/04/2012

What the sam fuck is a "Mexican pretense"???

R7: there are dozens of gay Latino bars in LA. Much safer.

by Anonymousreply 812/04/2012

Rent the movie with Susan Dey instead.

by Anonymousreply 912/04/2012

Echo Park is my favorite neighborhood in LA (grew up there). It's wonderful. However, I can't understand why any tourist would want to spend time there, other than to see a band at the Echo or something.

by Anonymousreply 1012/04/2012

In the late 80s early 90s, there used to be incredibly hot sex in the men's room on the south side of the park. Big fat Latino cock there in steady supply, just waiting to be sucked.

by Anonymousreply 1112/04/2012

They will kill it soon when it starts resembling Venice.

by Anonymousreply 1212/04/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!