Since 1995

GENIE - that feral child from California discovered in the 1970s

Where is she now?

by Anonymousreply 10311/28/2012

sad

by Anonymousreply 111/13/2012

Nova documentary

by Anonymousreply 211/13/2012

I noticed that Animal Planet is going to do a series on wild children. I do feel sorry for them because becoming normal takes a lot of therapy and no one seems able to put the child's interests first.

by Anonymousreply 311/13/2012

I've never heard of this case and I wish I never had. That's the saddest thing I've ever read. How inumane can a parent be to a child? I normally make fun of fraus but I'll be damned if I don't feel like one right now. Absoluteky heartbreaking that this child's opportunity at life was completely destroyed.

by Anonymousreply 411/13/2012

She is Mrs. Brad Pitt.

by Anonymousreply 511/14/2012

I dreamt of her.

by Anonymousreply 611/14/2012

She cannot take care of herself, so she is institutionalized and her location is not public knowledge, for her protection.

by Anonymousreply 711/14/2012

Heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 811/14/2012

over 100 known?

by Anonymousreply 911/14/2012

My next Oscar role!

by Anonymousreply 1011/14/2012

I've never heard of this case before. Her father sounds like a monster.

by Anonymousreply 1111/14/2012

Her father sounds like a monster indeed, but what was up with her mother?

by Anonymousreply 1211/14/2012

?????

"Nell" was not about the Genie Wiley case necessarily.

by Anonymousreply 1411/14/2012

GROSS

by Anonymousreply 1511/14/2012

It was "loosely" inspired by the case of Susan Wiley aka Genie.

In the DVD commentary of "Nell":

"Both director Michael Apted& Jodie Foster, in their DVD commentaries, also reference the case of Genie, a young girl who spent the first 13 years of her life locked in a bedroom & strapped to a potty chair."

There is a lot of myth & mystification regarding "Genie" & what happened in her family as well as the aftermath. No one ever mentions her brother at all.

Genie was not strapped in the dark the entire time, neighbors saw her outside playing with toys before the parents spiraled downwards.

She was never able to function at a "normal" level after her discovery & after years of therapy, partly due to deficits that were not related to the neglect & treatment at the Wiley home.

Her father killed himself after the arrest & her mother was nearly blind at that point.

Those assigned to "aid" in her recovery kept her like a lab experiment, as their real focus was not on Susan: but on understanding the development of linguistics.

Susan aka Genie came to hate the "helpers" so much that she asked to go back to live with her mother, Dorothy. The truth is very complicated.

The entire topic of feral children is full of hoaxes, myths: Genie caught a great deal of public interest.

Not in what actually happened though. Did you realize that none of the family slept in beds; the brother was equally terrified of the deranged father who slept with a gun in his hands? That part of the reason Susan's mother was so passive was due to a combination of low IQ combined with blindness?

The link provides you with some of the family background not generally known. Susan never was able to walk "normally" & did insist at 1 point to refused to be an experiment anymore, returning to live with her mother.

She was eventually placed in a group home as her mother was blind. Her brother got lost in the shuffle, no on seemed to take any interest in his existence at all.

Let me know if you would like a comprehensive post on my blog. It is a very different story, the problems of The Wiley family than the attention grabbing headlines.

The "help" that was offered was often as cruel as the perceived home conditions. "Genie" was a lab rat, a source of research: not showered with love & affection. The truth is more horrible than the myth.

by Anonymousreply 1711/14/2012

Somebody's off his meds again.

by Anonymousreply 1811/14/2012

My first Oscar role!

by Anonymousreply 2011/14/2012

One of the cable channels had a show on a number of them. I remember a girl in Russia and an American boy that was hanging around with dogs.

by Anonymousreply 2111/14/2012

R13,R16,R19 It is true that there is far more interest in the plight of white children, particularly pretty females as opposed to the majority of missing & endangered children:hispanic, afro-american & LGBT.

Nancy Grace & Fox News don't cover those cases.

The Charley Project on the web has 9,000 cold cases of missing as well as endangered youth, many of them male as well as LGBT.Susan Wiley aka Genie got all the attention: her abused brother rarely gets a footnote.

No one cares, LGBT kids that go missing are often not even reported as gone by their families.

Dallas Drake runs an organization that trains Law Enforcement to approach LBGT youth with more sensitivity.Children & teens don't run the world.

by Anonymousreply 2211/14/2012

say what?

by Anonymousreply 2311/14/2012

[quote][R13], thank you, thank you for your first two sentences.

Wow! Just the two, Dear?

by Anonymousreply 2411/14/2012

The atrocious parents had another girl besides Genie. The father decreed that the baby should be kept IN THE GARAGE. The infant died of exposure, but no charges were ever filed. And how in the hell was the awful mother able to get custody of Genie again after the inhuman treatment that child had received at the hands of her insane father and dipshit mother?

This is one of the worst child abuse cases ever heard of. So sad that poor Susan/Genie was never able to recover from it. So sad that despite all the scientists and social workers and psychologists and doctors and do-gooders she ended up alone and wordless in some institution. She never had a chance. God damn her parents.

by Anonymousreply 2511/14/2012

R25Your outrage is based on complete ignorance.

Although very moving, you do care so much.

Far worse cases happen every day.

Children are discovered dead after far worse abuse.Every single day. Rilya Wilson's tiny body was never located.

Read about her case on my blogspot.

Susan Wiley aka Genie was never going to "recover" because she already suffered at birth severe deficits.

Although your version is so dramatic.

by Anonymousreply 2611/14/2012

Try reading about one of those other ethnic toddlers who don't get news coverage.

Serenity Gandara died, was tortured & tied to a chair.

"Serenity's cause of death was determined to be blunt force trauma to her abdomen. Her liver and bowel were lacerated and a doctor said her pancreas was torn in half. She had a skull fracture on the left back side of her head and multiple contusions, bruises and abrasions, the report said. Her head had numerous injuries in various stages of healing that a doctor said were consistent with having been repeatedly hit on the head with something, the reports said."

Sorry to inform you that "Genie" was treated far better.

by Anonymousreply 2711/14/2012

R25 Here is another child kept in a cage, covered in feces, outdoors in freezing temps.

Expand your outrage to reality.

The Genie thing was a press sensation.

Drama for drama queens.

by Anonymousreply 2811/14/2012

Thanks, As Always; M!

by Anonymousreply 2911/14/2012

R22 this is not ONTD, did you get lost on your way there?

by Anonymousreply 3011/14/2012

[quote] One of his operatives hacked into my private account & released onto Google Images a naughty photo of my hot self.

Uh oh. Why am I not surprised by this statement?

by Anonymousreply 3111/14/2012

"R25Your outrage is based on complete ignorance"

So you're saying it's no big deal, because horrific child abuse happens all the time? And that it's no big deal because other children have suffered far worse? You are one fucked up asshole idiot.

By any standard the abuse of Susan/Genie was appalling. But I guess you think she didnt' have it too bad. You are a retard.

by Anonymousreply 3211/14/2012

Serenity Gandara had a far worse time.

She died in obscurity.

No one wonders about her at all.

All those broken bones, tied to a chair, starved, battered, beaten.

Genie did not have any broken bones.

She was not a foster child.

Her dead parents were head cases.

The Media loved the story, you keep coming back for more.

by Anonymousreply 3411/14/2012

Crazy parents like these never exist in a void. Look at those lunatics who captured that Jaycee girl. Constant calls to the police about a girl living in a tent in the backyard. The town gets the lunatics to promise to clean the backyard up. End of investigation.

This stuff gets swept under the rug all the time.

by Anonymousreply 3511/14/2012

M - you are interesting. Your writing is a bit fragmented. Is English your first language? I don't mean to be rude.

by Anonymousreply 3611/14/2012

I think she ran for VP in 2008

by Anonymousreply 3711/14/2012

M what medications are you taking currently?

by Anonymousreply 3811/14/2012

Why do we have to suffer this bulimia-mouthed psycho troll? PLZ STFU, CRAZYFLAKES!

by Anonymousreply 4111/14/2012

Seriously. I'm interested in this topic and would like to get the DL perspective, but this yammerer has taken the thread hostage.

by Anonymousreply 4211/14/2012

He died while working on a novel about the IRS. His sentences spliced over-the-top grammatical pedantry into lazy, semi-ironic college-kid run-ons.

by Anonymousreply 4311/14/2012

Weren't the "real" feral children of the past really autistic kids whose families dumped them in the woods?

by Anonymousreply 4411/14/2012

LOL, R43. She has a habit of cutting and pasting wholsale from Wiki. Without attribution I mught add. That's a n-no.

by Anonymousreply 4511/14/2012

What the fuck is going on with this thread and who is this "as always M" person?

by Anonymousreply 4611/14/2012

Meds and suicide aside, David Foster Wallace was someone who was never taken aside by a writing teacher and told that "throat clearing" is fine on the first draft, but then you must not only cut it out (as in "stop doing it"), but cut out all the throat clearing passages that preface the work.

I noticed that in his essay on cruise ships -- once he settled down and started writing about the cruise and the ship, he was fine, and all that came before was just...clearing his throat, and would not have been missed if it disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 4711/14/2012

Here's an article on her brother. Check this out:

{quote]John Wiley was 6 years old when he stood helplessly on a California street, on his way to buy an ice cream, when an out-of-control pickup truck slammed into his grandmother and dragged her mangled body down the street.

[quote]The loving woman had taken the boy into her California home when he was only 4, believing that her son — Clark Wiley, a demanding taskmaster of a father — was an unstable parent.

[quote]Two of John's older siblings had died mysteriously as infants: a 2-month-old sister died after her cries prompted Clark to wrap her in a receiving blanket and leave her in a bureau drawer in the garage. And a brother died shortly after birth.

[quote]John's life was spared by the hit-and-run driver in 1958, but the event condemned him back to the home of abusive parents — a nearly blind, mentally ill mother and tyrannical father, who in 1970 would be charged in one of the most horrific cases of child abuse in modern history.

Sounds like Dad killed two of the kids.

by Anonymousreply 4811/14/2012

What makes the story even worse was that after she was rescued, she was making progress! But after her mother regained custody and was later sent to numerous foster homes, she was repeatedly abused again and regressed back to how she was when they first found her. :(

I don't know which is more cruel. Rescuing a child who only knew abuse or rescuing a child from abuse, giving her love and helping her to recover and trust again, only to send her back to to people would further abuse her.

There is a special place in hell for those foster parents.

by Anonymousreply 4911/14/2012

I can't believe how crazy Meryl's gotten in this thread. So sad. Good thing no one's irreplaceable.

by Anonymousreply 5011/14/2012

Such a lonely little girl in a cold, cold world

by Anonymousreply 5111/14/2012

Sad to be alone in the world ...

by Anonymousreply 5211/14/2012

Same here r46 I remember watching a show about feral kids in what used to be the Soviet Union. There was some Ukrainian boy who lived in an abandoned house with a pack of wild dogs.

by Anonymousreply 5311/14/2012

It's a sad story all around and just as she was making progress everyone fucked it up with egos and then she ended up getting abused in a different home and stopped trying to speak...there's an article I read from 2008 that says she's in a home for underdeveloped adults now.

by Anonymousreply 5411/14/2012

elton john's 'little genie' is about this remarkable case.

by Anonymousreply 5511/14/2012

She went on to become an actress and starred in General Hospital ...featured in a long running storyline with "Luke".

by Anonymousreply 5611/14/2012

She might not know what she's doin, but she sure knows how to rub my lamp!

by Anonymousreply 5711/14/2012

This clip of a russian girl raised by dogs is really disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 5811/15/2012

R58, I tend to think that's a bullshit story. Though she is good prancer.

by Anonymousreply 5911/15/2012

What was particularly sad was that Genie was beginning to express herself by vocalizing some words, however, after she was put in a foster home she was severely punished for vomiting and after that she never uttered a word again. In the end, the state failed her.

by Anonymousreply 6011/15/2012

please just stop.

by Anonymousreply 6211/15/2012

you just don't know what goes on in people's houses or what's concealed within their very heavy hearts. this is absolutely tragic.

by Anonymousreply 6311/15/2012

So are the stories about feral children raised by dogs, wolves, monkeys not true or hoaxes?

Do you know,M?

by Anonymousreply 6611/16/2012

M,

There is a show on ABC--"The Middle," which is a reworking of "The Wire." I'd be interested in your ate on it.

by Anonymousreply 6811/16/2012

"ate" = "take"

by Anonymousreply 6911/16/2012

unwise

by Anonymousreply 7111/17/2012

Is it so surprising, R9? Even the DL has Umpy.

by Anonymousreply 7211/17/2012

When is this lame pimp "M" going to get banned?

by Anonymousreply 7311/17/2012

Yea, not cool, "M" not cool at all. Stop pretend threatening fellow posters and accusing them of crimes.

Well "M" seems to be using proxies here because she forgot to stop using her proxy when she started posting on Nov 16. Hmmm.

by Anonymousreply 7611/17/2012

M: since you are such a stickler for accuracy, DFW did NOT win a Pulitzer; The Pale King was a finalist.

by Anonymousreply 7711/17/2012

well that' not very glamorous...

by Anonymousreply 7811/18/2012

this M character reminds me of another straight female troll....

by Anonymousreply 7911/18/2012

The cunt that hijacked this thread is insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 8111/18/2012

You should try reading her blog.

by Anonymousreply 8211/19/2012

The video at R58 makes me laugh. Does that mean I'm a bad person?

by Anonymousreply 8311/19/2012

M, it's a shame you don't watch TV. I think you might enjoy "The Middle," though it might be a little high-brow for your tastes.

by Anonymousreply 8411/19/2012

M, I was only trying to help. I have a feeling that getting interested in a television show would be a useful endeavor for you. It would give you a chance to engage your mind, if that's possible, and it might give you an appreciation for other human beings. If you insist on staying off your meds, you need to appreciate that other people have value,however difficult that might be for you.

I'm surprised you have such a virulent reaction to me, considering I'm no doubt the only person in the world who has ever been concerned (for good reason, I am sure) about your well-being.

by Anonymousreply 8611/20/2012

Well, aren't you special?

by Anonymousreply 8811/22/2012

Who the fuck is this "M" person? Is it a reincarbation of another troll?

It sounds possibly mentally ill or doesn't understand what the DL is about.

by Anonymousreply 8911/22/2012

R88

More special than Anonymous Poster Cowards of DL who snark a lot. Never accomplished anything

"Special", here is a reference to help.

by Anonymousreply 9111/22/2012

This is fun! Poke the troll and listen to it bleat!

by Anonymousreply 9211/22/2012

Dear M person, you are weird as fuck. Why are you so fucking weird, its like youve been raised by wolves or something.

by Anonymousreply 9311/22/2012

R93

Anonymous Coward Poster of No Note:

Hope you get help with your issues.

Insecure, weird, jealous...

Often this sort of condition ends badly.

by Anonymousreply 9411/23/2012

R92

I don't comprehend bleating sounds at all.

Do seek professional help.

Humans use words, not random noise.

Speech Pathologists are available.

Jealousy, insecurity, rage ends badly.

Anonymous Cowards die so many deaths.

by Anonymousreply 9511/23/2012

Oxymoronic posteur:

[quote]Jealousy, insecurity, rage ends badly.

[quote]Anonymous Cowards die so many deaths.

by Anonymousreply 9611/23/2012

R96

Your ramblings are a cry for help.

Dial 911.

Go to the nearest Emergency Room.

Tell them you are addicted to DL.

You are not alone, just batshit crazy.

by Anonymousreply 9711/23/2012

I think we may have our most sociopathic troll ever! I hope when she goes postal at her job at the post office, she doesn't hurt anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 9811/23/2012

[quote]Tell them you are addicted to DL.

One post from me, troll-dar shows post after post by you. What a strange, disturbed, incoherent yet wordy creature you are.

by Anonymousreply 9911/23/2012

R98

I realize the tragedy of your life.

The bleakness that you are facing right now.

Choosing the right doctor and/or therapist for your mental health needs may seem like a daunting task. But, finding the right doctor is an important step towards getting proper treatment. A number of different types of doctors can treat mental illness.

The Fire Island Disaster is a Terrible Thing.

Poor Anonymous Coward Poster Who Suffers So.

by Anonymousreply 10011/23/2012

Nice try, troll. You live in a world where you are the only sane one, and everyone else thinks you're crazy. Don't worry...you're not alone. Just ask John Wayne Gacy, Charles Manson, Michelle Bachmann or David Bekowitz. They've all been through what you're going through now. I'm sure you've got them all on speed-dial.

By the way- I _will_ congratulate you on having a blog. That is an impressive accomplishment. You are obviously a very important person!

by Anonymousreply 10111/23/2012

R101

What causes you to spew so?

Who is "David Bekowitz"?

That sort of misnomer really makes me angry.

I am not dead or crazy like you & those others

My ministry preaches help to mentally ill:

Such as yourself.

by Anonymousreply 10211/23/2012

?

by Anonymousreply 10311/28/2012
Need more help? Click Here.