Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Slap Shot" (1977)

Saw this for the first time on RetroPlex last weekend. Very homoerotic.

by Braden's Jockstrapreply 1911/14/2012

Michael Ontkean was a babe.

by Braden's Jockstrapreply 111/13/2012

I love Strother Martin in just about every movie. And that's the prettiest Lindsay Crouse has ever looked on screen.

by Braden's Jockstrapreply 211/13/2012

"He not gay! He got a cock like a horse!"

by Braden's Jockstrapreply 311/13/2012

Sad to say, I thought the oafish Hanson Brothers were cute.

by Braden's Jockstrapreply 411/13/2012

Michael Ontkean in his "jock strip" - wow

by Braden's Jockstrapreply 511/13/2012

"it's alright and it's coming strong, we gotta get right back to where we started from."

by Braden's Jockstrapreply 611/13/2012

I went to see that with a male "Date" in high school. We got stoned and ended up making out for hours afterward, then admitted we were both thinking about Michael Ontkean.

by Braden's Jockstrapreply 711/13/2012

I think it's still pretty shocking when Newman's character tells the mother her 12 year old son will "have a cock in his mouth before you can say cock robin."

And the screenplay was written by a woman, Nancy Dowd.

by Braden's Jockstrapreply 811/13/2012

Lindsay Crouse was in this? Christ, I didn't know she was that old. I saw it about 25 or 30 years ago, so I don't remember it that well.

by Braden's Jockstrapreply 911/13/2012

Paul Newman's leather outfit was a little gay. Well, a lot gay.

by Braden's Jockstrapreply 1011/13/2012

Overrated, rented it last year and was bored. Also saw it in the theater when it came out and didn't really like it.

by Braden's Jockstrapreply 1111/13/2012

r11, it helps if you're a Canadian hockey fan. There are a lot of hockey culture references that are odd to outsiders. There are also a lot of in-jokes, as Newman's character was based on a real person.

I don't mean that in a snotty way, but it is quite funny to people in the niche.

by Braden's Jockstrapreply 1211/13/2012

I love this movies, it's absolutely hilarious and the kind of dark comedy that's almost impossible to make. Newman and Onktean are terrific, but what makes the film perfect is all the bit and supporting players, all of whom make every little thing both real and funny.

And if Paul Newman's leather jacket is more than a little gay, it works. His character is a rube who thinks he's sophisticated, he wouldn't know when his flashy jock's wardrobe veered into gay territory.

by Braden's Jockstrapreply 1311/13/2012

"Making Love" with Ontkean is more entertaining and funny.

by Braden's Jockstrapreply 1411/13/2012

R10 It was the 70s. That entire decade was gay.

Profane and hilarious, it was the antithesis of your usual sports movie. Loved it.

by Braden's Jockstrapreply 1511/13/2012

When I was just a teen gay I remember going to see this movie JUST for the jockstrap scene.

I don't remember anything else about the movie.

by Braden's Jockstrapreply 1611/13/2012

[quote]Lindsay Crouse was in this? Christ, I didn't know she was that old. I saw it about 25 or 30 years ago, so I don't remember it that well.

She played Ontkean's wife. Swoosie Kurtz plays another hockey wife.

by Braden's Jockstrapreply 1711/14/2012

Swoosie Kurtz has practically the funniest line in the movie when she looks around at all the people yelling horrible comments at the team and says 'good crowd,' completely straightfaced. Like she's willing it to be true.

This is one of my alltime favourite movies. R4, the only reason I first hired it was because of the Hanson brothers in their glasses on the cover. I love guys in glasses ...

R12, any stories?

by Braden's Jockstrapreply 1811/14/2012

Part of this film (hockey sequences) were filmed in my hometown.

Newman was a prick. Ontkean messed around with a high school girl (she was 18, though).

by Braden's Jockstrapreply 1911/14/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!