Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Unemployment benefits question

I've been unemployed since Dec 2011, almost a year. I moved to another state in order to look for work and I've had several unsuccessful interviews. I continue to apply for jobs like crazy every week.

The people at the unemployment office will not return my calls and my online account doesn't show the info I need. Is one year the limit for benefits? I don't know what "tier" I'm in. But in 3 more weeks, I will be homeless if that's it.

by Anonymousreply 711/14/2012

There may be extended unemployment benefits offered by the federal government through your state unemployment office. You need to apply with a new claim. Go into your local unemployment office, if your state does not offer a way to apply on line. My state (NY) offers online claims, so its easy.

In any case, going into the office will help to explain your rights, especially bout any extended benefits. Don't wait until your current claim expires - go now.

by Anonymousreply 111/13/2012

What R1 said. There was an extension. Also, take in temp work and even Home Depot type shit. Target and HD are always hiring in my area.

by Anonymousreply 211/13/2012

Thanks, I will go into the office to get a better understanding. Btw, I have an MA and retailers have rejected me.

by Anonymousreply 311/13/2012

R3/OP when applying for work, take as much off as possible.

It would be better to say you have NO EXPERIENCE.

by Anonymousreply 411/13/2012

Yes, I've decided to lie about my degrees. I truly believe that is unfair to the employer as well as my competitors for the job. However, I am desperate and will be living out of my van if I don't get a job.

by Anonymousreply 511/13/2012

R5/OP nothing is fair in life. If you don't look after yourself, who will?

At this point it is every man for himself.

by Anonymousreply 611/13/2012

I hope this doesn't sound crass, but maybe trying to find a sugar daddy wouldn't be amiss if you can play that scene or at least a roommate you can trust. I wouldn't rule out grocery stores, they don't pay much but every little bit helps. I worked in a grocery store for nearly 14 years and managed to get a small pension out of it. It sucks to be "customer oriented" but unfortunately you sometimes have to steel yourself to certain things to survive. If worse comes to worst you can always try Goodwill or the Salvation Army. I'm assuming parents or siblings are either out of the picture or unacceptable.

by Anonymousreply 711/14/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!