Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Brewer eyes third term as governor

PHOENIX -- While the votes for this election are still being counted, Gov. Jan Brewer is starting to make noise about 2014.

Brewer recently told the Arizona Republic that she's still thinking about challenging the state constitution to run for a third term.

Her spokesman, Matthew Benson, confirmed that the state's top executive is mulling over a decision but hasn't made up her mind.

The Arizona Constitution limits governors to just two terms in office. But Brewer's lawyers say the law doesn't apply in this case because Brewer took over for Gov. Janet Napolitano in the middle or her second term.

Napolitano left in 2009 to take a job as the U.S. Homeland Security Chief. That elevated Brewer, who was then secretary of state, to the governor’s office.

"In that situation the person who was duly elected as secretary of state should not be punished for having inherited the office," said Joe Kanefield, who served as legal counsel for Brewer during her time as secretary of the state and as governor.

He says Brewer should be allowed to run.

The constitution, however, says even serving part of a term counts.

According to Article 5, Section 1 of the constitution, "No member of the executive department after serving the maximum number of terms, which shall include any part of a term served, may serve in the same office..."

Anyone looking for more clarity from the state's top election official or its top legal mind, they wasn't going to get it on Monday.

Both Secretary of State Ken Bennett and Attorney General Tom Horne declined to comment for this story. The two Republicans are eying runs for the governor’s office in two years.

Horne said he hasn't been asked to look at the possibility of Brewer running, so he didn’t want to speculate.

Bennett said he was too busy overseeing the vote count from Tuesday's election. As of late Monday, there were still about 343,000 uncounted ballots statewide.

Even if the governor is allowed run, it's unclear how well she'd do. Recent polling shows voters are split on Brewer's job performance.

The Democratic leaning Public Policy Polling release a survey last month showing 47 percent of voters approve of the job she's doing while 46 percent disapproved.

But her political handlers say those numbers don't mean much, and believe Brewer would win if she's allowed to run in two years.

Doug Cole, who's firm HighGround, Inc., ran Brewer's campaign two years ago, says you can never count out Brewer.

In January 2010, Cole said, the conventional wisdom was Brewer couldn't win a Republican primary.

"We all know what happened," he said.

Brewer easily won her primary before cruising to victory over Democrat Terry Goddard.

"Don't ever count out any politician two years from an election," Cole said.

by Anonymousreply 2811/13/2012

Jan Brewer and Rick Scott need to be flushed down the toilet with the rest of the shit Repukes.

2014 can't come fast enough to oust them from the Governor's mansion!

by Anonymousreply 111/13/2012

Ew, kill it

by Anonymousreply 211/13/2012

She's a fucking apple doll. The way she wagged her fucking gnarled finger at Obama. And isn't her son a rapist?

by Anonymousreply 311/13/2012

Every time I see Jan Brewer, I think the NWO nuts might be right, and there really are lizard overlords.

by Anonymousreply 411/13/2012

She looks to me to be the Wicked Witch of the West's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 511/13/2012

What's this about her son the rapist?

by Anonymousreply 611/13/2012

send her packing por favor

by Anonymousreply 711/13/2012

Her son is a psycho who's presently in a state mental hospital for kidnapping and sexual assault.

by Anonymousreply 811/13/2012

Why is he in a mental hospital and not in jail? His mother, I presume.

by Anonymousreply 911/13/2012

Her skin is so wrinkled.

by Anonymousreply 1011/13/2012

I would just hope that if she runs the people of Arizona will be smart enought this time to give her th eboot.

by Anonymousreply 1111/13/2012

He was considered not competent to stand trial.

by Anonymousreply 1211/13/2012

Jan Brewer: Arizona's #1 Cunt®

by Anonymousreply 1311/13/2012

Actually I'm kind of surprised the republicans haven't considered running her for vice-president with some other woman in the presidential slot but I can't think of a republican woman who commands enough national attention to do that--not that I'm actually wishing for it, I'm just making an objective observation, political science, if you will. Who was that republican "businesswoman" who ran against Jerry Brown, can't think of her name???

by Anonymousreply 1411/13/2012

Meg Whitman, whose son has also engaged in dubious behavior with women.

by Anonymousreply 1511/13/2012

[quote] Who was that republican "businesswoman" who ran against Jerry Brown, can't think of her name???

Meg Whitman

by Anonymousreply 1611/13/2012

Yes--do you think a Brewer-Whitman ticket could emerge if only so that the republicans can boast the first all female presidential ticket?

by Anonymousreply 1711/13/2012

I think the Republicans are done with meg Whitman. Besides, she's busy running HP into the ground now.

by Anonymousreply 1811/13/2012

I love Jan Brewer. In comparison she makes my rancid cunt smell like a rose.

by Anonymousreply 1911/13/2012

Meg Whitman who spent 100 million of her own money to run for governor. How stupid is that? Willard didn't spend a dime of his own. If a candidate can't figure something that simple out, they are toast and broke

by Anonymousreply 2011/13/2012

"Meg Whitman who spent 100 million of her own money to run for governor. How stupid is that?"

Indeed.

by Anonymousreply 2111/13/2012

I don't know much about her as I don't follow Arizona politics. That state has seemed to get particularly crazy the past decade or so. Is it all the aging white racists who make up a formidable election block?

It seems she has a legal footing, however. I mean, if Hickenlooper here in Colorado had taken over the office halfway through a term, I would want him to be able to run two additional campaigns. Seems like a partial term shouldn't count when it comes to term limits.

by Anonymousreply 2211/13/2012

"Actually I'm kind of surprised the republicans haven't considered running her for vice-president..."

Can you imagine? She makes Christie look like Letitia Baldridge.

She may be loved in AZ, but her generall crass craziness would turn off a host of voters.

Let's campaign for her NOW!!

by Anonymousreply 2311/13/2012

Terrance Stamp should play her in the tv movie.

by Anonymousreply 2411/13/2012

I dunno. Is Meg crazy/right-wing enough for them?

by Anonymousreply 2511/13/2012

Meg Whitman lost to Jerry Brown by 12 points in 2010.

Why would anyone think she is Presidential-level material?

by Anonymousreply 2611/13/2012

[quote] It seems she has a legal footing, however.

Not really. Per the article:

[quote] The (AZ)constitution, however, says even serving part of a term counts.

According to Article 5, Section 1 of the constitution, "No member of the executive department after serving the maximum number of terms, which shall include any part of a term served, may serve in the same office..."

by Anonymousreply 2711/13/2012

She and her lawyers are floating the idea of a third term to see how it fares in public opinion. If it's not favorable for her, why bother challenging? It's win, win for her.

by Anonymousreply 2811/13/2012
Need more help? Click Here.