Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Paul Ryan: I Didn’t Lose Because Of The Issues, I Lost Because Of The ‘Urban’ Vote

In his first interview since losing the election, Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) wouldn’t admit that voters rejected his economic vision and instead chalked up President Obama’s victory to a large turnout of the “urban vote.”

“I don’t think we lost it on those budget issues, especially on Medicare, we clearly didn’t lose it on those issues,” Ryan told local station WISC-TV. “I think the surprise was some of the turnout, some of the turnout especially in urban areas, which gave President Obama the big margin to win this race.”

But Ryan’s post-election analysis contrasts sharply with his view of the race before Election Day. Throughout the campaign, Ryan — who was selected for the ticket because of his budget plan — insisted that the race presented voters with a “choice” between two different economic paths for the nation and repeatedly tried to sell the merits of his proposal on the stump. Republican lawmakers bragged that should the GOP ticket win, “they can justly claim a mandate” to push through Ryan’s initiatives. Here are just three examples of the former Vice Presidential candidate making the same argument:

– “The president, I’m told, is talking about Medicare today… We want this debate. We need this debate. And we will win this debate.” [8/16/2012]

– “We have a big choice to make. We’re not just picking the next president for a few years. We are picking the pathway for America for a generation.” [8/27/2012]

– “We’re entering what we call the debate and choice phase of this campaign. And we’re going to give the people of this country the right and opportunity to choose a different path.” [10/01/2012]

Indeed, Obama made raising taxes on the wealthiest Americans a centerpiece of his campaign and voters overwhelmingly agreed with his approach. Exit polls showed that 6 in 10 voters nationwide say they think taxes should be increased and Ryan’s budget proposal played an important role in Senate races where Democrats picked up seats.

And while seniors backed Romney/Ryan at the same rate as Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) in 2008, a survey commissioned by the AFL-CIO “showed that by 64 to 17 percent, voters want to protect Social Security and Medicare benefits and address the deficit by increasing taxes on the rich, rather than address the deficit by cutting entitlements.”

by Anonymousreply 9711/14/2012

Whatevah, gyrl.

by Anonymousreply 211/13/2012

He should definitely keep talking just like this, as should the rest of his doomed party.

by Anonymousreply 511/13/2012

Actually, R4, you were arguing and insulting someone on that thread that agreed with you but you were too reactionary to realize it.

by Anonymousreply 611/13/2012

So, other words, in typical Republican fashion, it's "the darkies fault"?

by Anonymousreply 711/13/2012

I agree with all the sentiments of letting them blame everything but what really cost them the election. It ensures a lifetime of Democratic rule for us.

by Anonymousreply 811/13/2012

[quote]Act like fucking Republicans for once.

But I like science and reality.

by Anonymousreply 911/13/2012

in other words, Black people didn't like his cracker ass.

by Anonymousreply 1111/13/2012

Yes, you clearly lost those swing states of Iowa, Wisconsin(your homestate!) and New Hampshire because of urban (aka black) voters.

53% of voters thought the Romney/Ryan economic policies would favor the rich. You DID lose on your economic vision.

Also someone should remind the Republicans black people are real citizens that have the right to vote. You can't blame for daring to show up and vote, you can blame your messaging for not even trying to attract voters in the black community and instead treating them with disdain.

by Anonymousreply 1211/13/2012

Paul Ryan: "I'm great, but I didn't win because the stupid fucking black people didn't vote for me."

by Anonymousreply 1311/13/2012

"The people who matter had their right to rule trampled by a bunch of blacks and Hispanics."

The opinions of the majority of voters don't count because I get to define them."

"I'm in charge! I'm in charge!"

by Anonymousreply 1411/13/2012

That's OK.

A quicker path to extinction.

by Anonymousreply 1511/13/2012

and this way of thinking Paul Ryan is why you are NOT VP elect...

by Anonymousreply 1611/13/2012

'Urban' is Republican dog whistle for the n-word.

by Anonymousreply 1711/13/2012

In other words it was Negroes and Hispanics that won the vote.

Hey, Paul, what about us white girls who voted against you because of you and your cronies chauvinistic, prehistoric comments towards women, minorities and gays? That's right, you alienated us too.

by Anonymousreply 1811/13/2012

It was not a landslide (51% of he popular vote and 300 plsu electoral in not that). It was perhaps a mandate. Or better yet- Obama's platform carried the day.

This is again the Republican tendency in among politicians and their mouthpieces (FOX) to just make up their own realities.

by Anonymousreply 2011/13/2012

Jesus Christ. Nate Silver's projections were free. He explained how he arrived at the statistics. He had a proven track record. Numbers that didn't lie. Instead these boneheads spent jillions of dollars on their own guy who told him what they wanted to hear. Obama got the Silver programming and polling. Now, who sucks at business?

by Anonymousreply 2111/13/2012

I hate to sound like a tinhat, but I really wonder if the Tea Party loonies and rightwing want some kind of race war. Look at those stupid secession petitions cropping up. Would the left act like that if Romney had won? How many of the signers are losing whatever is left of their minds because the black guy with the strange name won again? Then you have the GOP VP candidate blaming black folks because the black guy with the strange name won again. It seems like latent racism is oozing. Would folks be this upset if Obama were a white man named Bill Smith? (Yeah, I know he's technically half white; however, loonies don't see him like that. All they say is his skin color.)

by Anonymousreply 2211/13/2012

Does make you think R22. Phrases like "it's not a white America anymore" and "urban vote" is very racist. The problem is I don't think they realize their own racism. They are probably "hey, I've got a black friend" types.

by Anonymousreply 2311/13/2012

Ryan lost, because he doesn't know how to tell the truth!

by Anonymousreply 2411/13/2012

So basically he's admitting that the Republicans are the "rural" party.

The overalls-wearing, straw-chewing, barefoot types, where whites could be white and Protestant and feel gracious when they didn't lynch the one "colored" in town...

How quaint.

by Anonymousreply 2511/13/2012

What I have read is that Obama's team opened up a very large number of very local offices over a year ago. The republicans poked fun at this, but apparently, the staff there really got to know the voters in the area and this is what got the voters to turn out in the election. Now the republicans are surprised despite that all their candidates made multiple trips to Iowa and New Hampshire for the same reason. It was retail politics at its best.

by Anonymousreply 2611/13/2012

[quote]Hey, Paul, what about us white girls who voted against you because of you and your cronies chauvinistic, prehistoric comments towards women, minorities and gays? That's right, you alienated us too.

We don't care for the sluts and faggots any more than we do the niggers and spics. We only care about rich white men and their wives (as long as they stay in line).

by Anonymousreply 2711/13/2012

He sounds more intelligent when he has a cock in his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 2811/13/2012

R25, Protestant has nothing to do with it. Neither candidate was Protestant. Ryan himself is Catholic and we all know what cult Mitt worships.

by Anonymousreply 2911/13/2012

"Yes, you clearly lost those swing states of Iowa, Wisconsin(your homestate!) and New Hampshire because of urban (aka black) voters."

Obama also won states like Maine and Vermont. Yeah, Vermont is so urban!

by Anonymousreply 3011/13/2012

You didn't think he was going to say, "I lost because I'm an asshole."

But the real reason he lost is because he's an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 3111/13/2012

So what about the 39% of white people who voted for Obama? What about them Paul? The urban vote isn't big enough to elect a president.

by Anonymousreply 3211/13/2012

There is also this little detail that most people live in urban communities not rural communities. Not sure what he is getting at (I don't think he knows either.) Whoever is going to win an election is going to have to win in urban communities, or not run.

by Anonymousreply 3311/13/2012

Don't forget Paul the gay people hate you too.

by Anonymousreply 3411/13/2012

r29 please pay attention.

Ryan was speaking about who voted for him, not his own religion.

it's Ryan who said they lost the "urban" vote, thus my comment that he must be the "rural" candidate.

And unless you know something we don't, beyond Notre Dame, it's Protestants associated with "rural" America.

p.s. Are you Protestant? Protestants are always the first to say Mormons aren't Protestant, even though that's exactly the tradition from which the Mormons came, just like Fundamentalists and Evangelicals. See the link. You're all from the same Original Cult.

by Anonymousreply 3511/13/2012

Here's the best of the comments from the link:

"Paul Ryan actually lost his hometown of Janesville by several thousand votes. He's lucky he has a gerrymandered district or he would have lost his seat too."

I don't believe Janesville is exactly an "urban vote" mecca.

by Anonymousreply 3611/13/2012

Just want to thank you all for the great replies, some funny, some pithy and so to the point, but most of all, helping to prolong that "bask in the afterglow" feeling, knowing full well what an ignorant, self-important twit Paul Ryan. I so love that Wisconsin ended up being a blue state and that Tammy Baldwin crushed her republican opponent. Republicans are the past, Dems are the present and the future.

by Anonymousreply 3711/13/2012

by the way for anyone who wants to see the numbers, Ryan ... and the rest of us ... are not wrong on certain key points

he and Romney did not win the "men" vote in double digits... after party identification the biggest margins of wins were rural, small town, White Protestant voters.

Obama won the Catholic vote...

by Anonymousreply 3811/13/2012

No you didn't lose on the issues, BECAUSE YOU AND MITT DIDN'T PUT FORTH ANY ISSUES. You lost mostly because the American people don't want to buy a pig in a poke. No tax returns, that 47% slam (thank you Jimmy Carter's grandson) and a number of other reasons. Corporations are not people, my friend.

by Anonymousreply 3911/13/2012

Meanwhile, Ryan's hometown has just approved a measure extending Domestic Partnership benefits to city and library employees and their partners.

by Anonymousreply 4011/13/2012

How urban of them to consider such...

by Anonymousreply 4111/13/2012

People voting for their own self-interest instead of mine? What the hell?

by Anonymousreply 4211/13/2012

I wish charlie's hands would get too athritic to post.I'm so tired of his upper class bullshit perspective.

Whu CARES if it wasn't a landslide? An African-American President, in a deeply racist country, won reelection after supporting an end to DADT AND gay marriage equality. He has a mandate from the non-racist Americans. The others made it clear that they want nothing to do with him and that's what they should get- NOTHING.

by Anonymousreply 4311/13/2012

"we never thought those shiftless, lazy , negroes would turn out in such numbers again. who knew?"

by Anonymousreply 4411/13/2012

R43 what a fucking ass you are. First of all to wish that on anyone - let alone someone who is on the same side as most of us are. Secondly, he was simply correcting an earlier poster who said this was a landslide. It was note a landslide. Fact. Deal with it and stopping being an ass.

by Anonymousreply 4511/13/2012

I also think we lost because I misspoke about my marathon running time. (I lied.)

And because I took advantage of a faux photo opp and washed clean dishes at the soup kitchen.

And then of course, I posed for workout photos with my dumbbells and baseball cap on backwards looking like a doufas.

Oh, and my policies sucked.

And I had the world's worst running mate.

Shall I go on?

by Anonymousreply 4611/13/2012

[quote]Just because he fucked some black chick in college doesn't mean black people will vote for his stupid P90X ass.

I'm assuming he just went out on dates with her. Surely he wouldn't have had sex before marriage?

by Anonymousreply 4711/13/2012

"I really wonder if the Tea Party loonies and rightwing want some kind of race war"

Good! We'll have a perfect excuse to mow them down like zombies.

by Anonymousreply 4811/13/2012

For christssakes, Ryan lost his hometown of Janesville, Wisconsin, by nearly a two-to-one ratio, which is by no means "urban."

Romney also lost his hometown of Belmont, Massachusetts by nearly the same margin as Ryan. And Belmont is an upscale, tony little suburb outside of Boston.

by Anonymousreply 4911/13/2012

Is this the new code for black and minorities? I really hate this POS more than Romney. He is really, really evil. Romney is more clueless and dumb. They remind me of Bush II and Cheney.

by Anonymousreply 5011/13/2012

[quote]Protestants are always the first to say Mormons aren't Protestant, even though that's exactly the tradition from which the Mormons came, just like Fundamentalists and Evangelicals. See the link. You're all from the same Original Cult.

The difference between Protestants of every stripe and Mormons is that the religion of Protestants is taken solely from the Bible. Protestantism was born out of the translation of the Bible from Latin into the native languages of Europe. Once they could read the Bible for themselves, millions of European Christians rejected the non-Biblical practices of the Catholic Church.

Mormons have their own completely separate "Holy Book," the Book of Mormon, that was either translated or more likely written and invented whole-cloth by Joseph Smith. No one other than Mormons believes anything in the Book of Mormon.

by Anonymousreply 5111/13/2012

Whatever reason you want to believe, you still lost. But keep offending everyone….it will do wonders for your political future!

by Anonymousreply 5211/13/2012

A couple of y'all don't seem to get that "urban" is code for black. He's not literally talking about city-dwellers.

by Anonymousreply 5311/13/2012

R50, Paul Ryan is the one who is stupid, not Romney. Ryan is the male version of Sarah Palin.

by Anonymousreply 5411/13/2012

Romney also lost every state where he's from, had/has a house or currently lives:

California, Colorado, Massachusetts, Michigan and New Hampshire.

Not sure, I'm trying to find it on Google, but I believe Romney even lost San Diego where he recently moved to his renovated house with the car elevator--not exactly an urban outpost.

by Anonymousreply 5511/13/2012

“I don’t think we lost it on those budget issues, especially on Medicare, we clearly didn’t lose it on those issues,” Ryan told local station WISC-TV. “I think the surprise was some of the turnout, some of the turnout especially in urban areas, which gave President Obama the big margin to win this race.”

I didn't lose because of the issues; I lost because more people voted for the other guy.

by Anonymousreply 5611/13/2012

Some of my best friends are urban.

by Anonymousreply 5711/13/2012

You're right, R55.

The California map shows that Obama won San Diego County by 5 points over Romney, even though San Diego often votes Republican.

by Anonymousreply 5811/13/2012

[quote]I didn't lose because of the issues; I lost because more people voted for the other guy.

R56. Funny bitch. That line just had to be repeated.

by Anonymousreply 5911/13/2012

Republicans are not doing themselves any favors by insisting they lost because non-white didn't vote for them. Who really did them in were women. They can do all they want to appeal to blacks and Latinos and Asians, but as long as they keep pushing the idea that there are different kinds of rape and a woman who wants birth control is a slut, they will lose more than 50% of the electorate.

by Anonymousreply 6011/13/2012

Those women need to get out of their binders and vote Republican next election!!

Wake up ladies!!

by Anonymousreply 6111/13/2012

Oh, they are bitching about voter fraud now and about Obama the dictator ruling and deciding for millions somehow ignoring that the majority voted for Obama.

Idiots all of them.

by Anonymousreply 6211/13/2012

A ... a ... dog ate all the ballots with me and my pal's name on it ... I swear! Please, no detention ... aw, man!

by Anonymousreply 6311/13/2012

[quote]And unless you know something we don't, beyond Notre Dame, it's Protestants associated with "rural" America.

Seriously? Go to Pennsylvania, Maryland and Louisiana sometime. There are plenty of rural Catholics.

by Anonymousreply 6411/13/2012

Well, I'm an "urban" gay man from Lakewood Ohio who voted for Obama. I am so proud that my state put Obama back in the White House for another 4 years.

by Anonymousreply 6511/13/2012

"“I don’t think we lost it on those budget issues, especially on Medicare, we clearly didn’t lose it on those issues,”

With those crazy idea, Ryan definitely "lost it."

by Anonymousreply 6611/13/2012

Do women and Asians count as "urban" too?

by Anonymousreply 6711/13/2012

And after I wore my hat backwards, too!

by Anonymousreply 6811/13/2012

Has he distanced himself from Romney to such a degree that he now only refers to *his* loss?

by Anonymousreply 6911/13/2012

Aaron Schock probably won't give him booty calls anymore.

by Anonymousreply 7011/13/2012

This thread deserves to be bumped, if only because half the paying posters apparently can't bother to scroll a page or two before they rush to post the same damn thing.

by Anonymousreply 7111/13/2012

The ‘Urban’ Vote

That is not true.

Women, working class people, union employees, Asians, Mexicans, Senior citizens and gay people hated him too

But Paul shouldn't let facts get in the way. Just like every other repug, they never have before why start now?

by Anonymousreply 7211/13/2012

Almost R72, Romney did comfortably win senior citizens. It was among young people (18-29), who were a bigger percentage of the electorate than 65+, that Obama cleaned up with huge margins.

by Anonymousreply 7311/13/2012

Apropos nothing in particular.... what congressmen, Senate of House, would dare oppose taxing the rich? Political suicide.

When the tax the rich passes, I'll be dancing.

by Anonymousreply 7411/13/2012

This article at link explains how and why GOP loses urban (big city) vote. It notes how even in red states, the big cities vote Democratic. The conservative, small government, limited services philosophy works ok in the suburbs and rural areas, whereas in the cities people are more dependent on government running things.

by Anonymousreply 7511/13/2012

The conservative, small government, limited services philosophy works ok in the suburbs and rural areas, whereas in the cities people are more dependent on government running things.

First of all, that sounds like a slur against cities, Second of all, I do not the Paul Ryan supporters thought: "I support a small govt, limited services philosophy." They were thinking "marriage is between a man and a woman. Obama is a Muslim. Don't take away my guns. Need a white president."

by Anonymousreply 7611/13/2012

Because rural areas hate government subsidies, right, r75?

by Anonymousreply 7711/13/2012

I thought they were the party of personal responsibility.

I guess that's easy when it's never your fault.

I thought they were the party of pulling yourself up by your boostraps.

I guess that's easy when your family has money like the Bushes and the Romneys.

by Anonymousreply 7811/13/2012

Personally, I'd be very happy to have Paul Ryan run on his budget and on his Medicare/Medicaid plans in 2016. And I'd love it if the Democratic candidate would ask him why, if he's so confident about those proposals, has he been so blatantly lying about them?

by Anonymousreply 7911/13/2012

We hate you too Mitt.

by Anonymousreply 8011/13/2012

Paul you lost because you and Mitt are fucking assholes. That is all.

by Anonymousreply 8111/13/2012

That's enough, charlie. That's plenty.

by Anonymousreply 8211/13/2012

Ryan still doesn't get it, does he? He makes a general blanket statement, and then there's all sorts of evidence to disprove or contradict his theory.

Romney/Ryan lost all over with all sorts of groups. It's a hard thing to accept that you and your running mate are douchebags, a liars and frauds.

It wasn't only urban. It was everything including your own lilly-white hometown community.

by Anonymousreply 8311/13/2012

To COMPLAIN about a large voter turnout is fundamentally anti-democratic.

As r12 notes, Ryan and his Tea Party admirers seem to be having a real problem wrapping their minds around the fact that all those brown and black Americans who voted for Obama are "real Americans" with the same voting rights as everyone else. In showing up at the polls in droves, they were simply discharging their civic duty—not pulling some sort of dirty trick on Romney/Ryan.

by Anonymousreply 8411/13/2012

[quote] he conservative, small government, limited services philosophy works ok in the suburbs and rural areas

Well, lets just cut all those farm subsidies and other forms of rural assistance then. After all, smaller government should start at home right?

by Anonymousreply 8511/13/2012

Urban?

Are they using up the leftover dog whistles?

Thrifty.

by Anonymousreply 8611/13/2012

[quote]Ryan and his Tea Party admirers seem to be having a real problem wrapping their minds around the fact that all those brown and black Americans who voted for Obama are "real Americans" with the same voting rights as everyone else.

R84 nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 8711/14/2012

They lost it because my Republican parents of 4 women and one gay son, 12 grandchildren were terrified of the future they presented and voted for Obama.

by Anonymousreply 8811/14/2012

Denial, delusion, dimwit.

by Anonymousreply 8911/14/2012

Paul dear, there's just no dignified way to save face from your colossal loss and rejection by the American public. But you chose to ignore the facts just as you're doing now.

Well that, and you and Romney are assholes.

by Anonymousreply 9011/14/2012

r4, landslide? Calm your ass down honey.

by Anonymousreply 9111/14/2012

Note the blue cities.

by Anonymousreply 9211/14/2012

Oh no, maybe Obama won because of voter fraud.

by Anonymousreply 9311/14/2012

"The conservative, small government, limited services philosophy works ok in the suburbs and rural areas, whereas in the cities people are more dependent on government running things."

Yes, until those suburban and rural areas badly need help from FEMA, which, btw, Romney wanted to also make cuts to.

As for Ryan, he is as dumb and yokel-ish as he looks, what an clueless piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 9411/14/2012

I love you women! The Association for the Defense of the American Uterus.

by Anonymousreply 9511/14/2012

This douchebag is freaking out because the literal color of this country is changing!

by Anonymousreply 9611/14/2012

These people never cease to amaze. They've been demonizing blacks, hispanics, women, and gays for over 40 years to win the racist white vote, and they are now shocked, SHOCKED that those people won't vote for them, and that they are in large enough numbers to overtake the angry old white dudes that make up their party.

by Anonymousreply 9711/14/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!