Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is Anyone Actually Happy?

McAfee murders, Elmo has to date a kid, Petraeus betrays. All at the top of their fields but they have to fuck it up.

by Anonymousreply 1711/20/2012

Don't let the day's news stories color your view of the world. Remember what the business of the media really is.

by Anonymousreply 111/13/2012

Yes. But just watch, this thread Will. Not. End. Well.

by Anonymousreply 211/13/2012

OP, you are missing the obvious. Happiness is under achieving, therefore, the majority of us are quite happy.

Obviously over achieving is bad, this is why the over achiever most often ends up unhappiest.

Mediocrity ROCKS!

by Anonymousreply 311/13/2012

In a television interview, Barbara Walters asked the question, "Are you happy?"

Grace thought for a moment. "I've had happy moments in my life, but I don't think that happiness - being happy - is a perpetual state that anyone can be in," she said. "Life isn't that way. My life here has given me many satisfactions in the last ten years."

by Anonymousreply 411/13/2012

"A person is about as happy as he makes up his mind to be." - Abraham Lincoln

by Anonymousreply 511/13/2012

if you are warm you are happy or you are on your way to be.

by Anonymousreply 611/13/2012

Journalists, like historians, accenctuate the negative. As the late historian Barbara W. Tuchman said:

"Disaster is rarely as pervasive as it seems from recorded accounts. The fact of being on the record makes it appear continuous and ubiquitous whereas it is more likely to have been sporadic both in time and place. Besides, persistence of the normal is usually greater than the effect of the disturbance, as we know from our own times. After absorbing the news of today, one expects to face a world consisting entirely of strikes, crimes, power failures, broken water mains, stalled trains, school shutdowns, muggers, drug addicts, neo-Nazis, and rapists. The fact is that one can come home in the evening -on a lucky day -without having encountered more than one or two of these phenomena. This has led me to formulate Tuchman's Law, as follows: "The fact of being reported multiplies the apparent extent of any deplorable development by five- to tenfold" (or any figure the reader would care to supply)."

by Anonymousreply 711/13/2012

I LOVE that for 4 more years, I can wake up at 12am to a rerun showing of that tubby Karl Rove being skewered on MSNBC, then pick up the phone to call the White House kitchen and order a midnight pork chop sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 811/13/2012

I feel a song coming on!

Chubby Checker

Belgians in the Congo!!

by Anonymousreply 911/13/2012

We lesbians are happy, actually.

by Anonymousreply 1011/13/2012

I think Buddhists are..

by Anonymousreply 1111/13/2012

I want a cool Gillette commercial starring McAfee, Elmo, and Petraeus

by Anonymousreply 1211/13/2012

Overall people seem to be unhappier than they were 50 years ago. I think the commodification of nearly every aspect of modern life has a lot to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 1311/13/2012

You're right, R11.

by Anonymousreply 1411/13/2012

For me, it isn't about "happiness" so much as "peace of mind".

After a lot of looking outside of myself (job, friends, social standing, material things), I've realized it doesn't matter what other people think of me.

If I can't look at myself in the mirror, none of that other stuff matters.

by Anonymousreply 1511/13/2012

Well, obviously success and wealth doesn't buy it unless it just corrupts and enough is never enough. Elmo formally resigned today and put an officail black eye on Sesame Street. Mitt must be laughing today.

by Anonymousreply 1611/20/2012

But it wasn't Big Bird, R16. Elmo's always been iffy.

by Anonymousreply 1711/20/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!