Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I love fruitcake

I think I'm the only one on the planet. Granted, it is very rich and a little goes an awfully long way, but I think it's delicious.

by Anonymousreply 5711/15/2012

We love it in our house too. Especially if the fruit has been boiled which makes the cake really moist.

by Anonymousreply 111/13/2012

A single, thin slice that's been toasted or warmed can be rather good, but it's not something to keep calling my name for more and more.

Some fruitcakes really do look horrible and nasty.

If you were the recipient of one and didn't know what to do with it, it could be roped through its doughnut hole middle and hung from a tree like a slab of suet for the birds to have at.

by Anonymousreply 211/13/2012

the majority of the fruitcakes i've been gifted with have been horrible. but i did have this one that was absolutely delish. so much so, that i've been trying to hunt it down ever since.

by Anonymousreply 311/13/2012

I wish all the unwanted fruitcakes in the world would be sent to me. I would only have one slice per day, and not blow my diet. I think it's the nuts and alcohol moistened cake that makes me crave it.

by Anonymousreply 411/13/2012

I love fruit cake too. I've never bought one, but usually get a couple around Christmas. I usually have a single slice dipped in homemade chai. Also tastes good with coffee.

by Anonymousreply 511/13/2012

Tastes great with coffee. I haven't had fruit cake in a long time. Probably for the best since it's so fattening.

by Anonymousreply 611/13/2012

What is the longest you can keep a fruitcake for?

by Anonymousreply 711/13/2012

All Brits seem to LOVE The stuff, all of those horrid boiled "puddings".

by Anonymousreply 811/13/2012

Puddings are usually steamed. Julia Child has a great recipe for a holiday pudding, using butter instead of suet. Really terrific, and the sort of thing you can easily do variations on.

by Anonymousreply 911/13/2012

Cheap fruitcake is vile. But I love the Collin Street Bakery fruitcakes from Texas. These are the only ones I can recommend. Are there any other good ones?

by Anonymousreply 1011/13/2012

Christmas pudding and fruitcake are quite different R8. There are also various types of fruitcake.

It used to be common to have other types of boiled puddings but they disappeared with the ark.

by Anonymousreply 1111/13/2012

with REAL dried fruit and nuts they are great. Unfortunately most use that nasty, nasty glaceed fruit that ruins everything.

by Anonymousreply 1211/13/2012

A friend gave me this one made by monks in Oregon. It was pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 1311/13/2012

love fruitcake too!!!

by Anonymousreply 1411/13/2012

R13 Read the will never want it again.

by Anonymousreply 1511/13/2012

I hate it, but my parents love it and always ask me to make it, so I'm on a quest to create tasty fruitcake recipes.

This year I'm working on a spiced tea loaf drizzled with mulled wine caramel. It's fabulous, even if I do say so myself.

by Anonymousreply 1611/13/2012

[quote]Christmas pudding and fruitcake are quite different [R8]. There are also various types of fruitcake.

I consider them all the same yucky thing.

by Anonymousreply 1711/13/2012

[quote]I consider them all the same yucky thing.

How clever of you.

by Anonymousreply 1811/13/2012

by Anonymousreply 1911/13/2012

Send me one, R16.

by Anonymousreply 2011/13/2012

I used to make a Sri Lankan fruitcake (as a gift to my ex-partners family, who were from that country) and it was unbelievably delicious. So rich and spicy. A dozen eggs!! When I say rich, I mean it literally too. If you don't have most of the ingredients handy and have to buy them, it's like a $75 project. Some of the ingredients are exotic indeed, like rose essence, chow-chow (a type of melon or squash I think, macerated in a sugary sauce), ginger preserves, and all kinds of glacee fruits and loads of cashews. Oh, and brandy!! Now I'm fixing to make one!

by Anonymousreply 2111/13/2012

I like a good fruitcake also. My dear late mother used to make several Japanese fruitcakes every year around Thanksgiving and wrap them up in wine soaked cheese cloth and put them in the freezer. The one she would take out after a year and thaw out was fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 2211/13/2012

by Anonymousreply 2311/13/2012

I don't know why fruitcake has gotten such a bad press lately as I have always liked it. Granted, some of the commercial ones are less desirable than others, but generally fruitcake is a tasty treat for me. There were Trappist monks in LaFayette, Oregon who used to make a wonderful fruitcake but in recent years I haven't heard from them. There are other monks in Gethsemani, Kentucky who make a good fruitcake but not as good as the ones in Oregon. I also have ordered cakes from Claxton, Georgia which are pretty good too. In grocery stores, Entenmann's used to make a good fruitcake but haven't seen theirs for years.

by Anonymousreply 2411/13/2012

The bad press for fruitcake is not unlike the incessant jokes about airline food. I personally liked the idea of a free meal/snack while on a flight. All the tongue wagging about that made the airlines charge for food and give up serving meals--at least that was part of the reason, I'm sure. A few blabbermouths who like to waste food ruined it for everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 2511/13/2012

[quote]There were Trappist monks in LaFayette, Oregon who used to make a wonderful fruitcake but in recent years I haven't heard from them.

Maybe they took a vow of silence.

by Anonymousreply 2611/13/2012

I make fruitcake using an old WWII rationing recipe called "war cake." The recipe is all over the internet, it was given out on the radio during the war and everybody had it. The original is made with no eggs (due to rationing) and candied citron. It was made to be shipped overseas and was supposed to keep a long time.

I've made it with real dried fruit, usually apricot, coconut, raisins, papaya, pineapple and mango, sometimes dates or cherries, with pecans. I tried making it with cherries and dark chocolate, it was way too sweet for me but YMMV. Prunes did not work - they were too mushy and sticky. You could do it with dried apples, walnuts, cinnamon and nutmeg instead I guess. Soak it in brandy and let it sit for a few weeks. I've never found anybody who wanted to use it as a doorstop or re-gift it.

by Anonymousreply 2711/13/2012

Yeah, I love fruitcake, too. Always want to share it. My first apartment, between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I had a Sunday afternoon "fruitcake tasting". Nice idea I thought. Nice crowd. Big fail! I had cake from Williams-Sonoma, Harry & David, The Greenbrier, the Trappists Monks of Gethsemani and those Claxton Fruit Cake one-pound bars that I remember from childhood sold at every gas station. A few friends picked a bit. I got many strained smiles. Everyone just wanted to drink!

by Anonymousreply 2811/13/2012

Maybe "real" dried fruit would help ... I can't stand the nearly-unchewable chunks of red and green fruit that need to be spat out. YUK!

by Anonymousreply 2911/13/2012

[quote] I had a Sunday afternoon "fruitcake tasting".

Cash bar?

by Anonymousreply 3011/13/2012

Gethsemani Farms sells the best fruitcake I've ever had...made by Kentucky bourbon-soaked Trappist monks...or maybe it's the cakes that are soaked. Never say the church isn't relevant to fine eating.

by Anonymousreply 3111/13/2012

R24, see r13.

by Anonymousreply 3211/13/2012

I love it too as long as it's not 10 years old upon arrival.

by Anonymousreply 3311/13/2012

I love fruit cake, good fruitcake. One time I stumbled on a close out sale of fruit cake loafs sealed in beautiful tin litho tins. Different varieties and I must have bought all of them. Coconut mango macadamia nut, black cherry walnut and ones I don't remember. They lasted several years, the tins were not Christmas so I also gave them as gifts other times of the year.

by Anonymousreply 3411/13/2012

I once had an older neighbor lady that I became improbable friends with. We could haunt the peasant food of little out of the way places in New Mexico. If you know what Crabtree and Evelyn food items are, whe always had a closet full of tinned cookies, crackers and cakes including their tasty fruit cake. She bought stuff on sale and used it for gifts and treats to others. Taking care of her house when she traveled was a chore due to all of the hand watering, daily in the summer. I was always rewarded with a basket of treats along with a big box of Godiva dark chocolates.

by Anonymousreply 3511/13/2012

I LOVE it too

by Anonymousreply 3611/13/2012

Why do people use that disgusting red and green glacee stuff? You can buy perfectly good dried fruit in the supermarket!

I looked up recipes for plum pudding, thinking "That's a quaint treat I might want to make for Christmas." It was too intensive for me. I have a faulty memory and would miss a step here or there. There is cheesecloth, parchment paper, plastic wrap, aluminum foil. I'd get it mixed up.

And then there is the part where you store it away for 4 months. I'd totally forget where I put it.

by Anonymousreply 3711/13/2012

This thread is filled with fruitcakes.

by Anonymousreply 3811/13/2012

Christmas eve, 1999, my partner and I were making big money, the US$ was very strong, so we did a big tour of the South Pacific, spending Christmas eve at what might have been New Zealand's most exclusive B&B.

The elaborate 7-course Christmas dinner with wine pairings was shared with six couples: two American (including us), three Brits, and one German couple. It was amazing. We were all strangers at the same table.

By the last course, we were all happily tipsy and the subject of dreaded (for Americans) fruitcakes ("Christmas Pudding" for the Brits) came up. We must have spent two hours in an absurd and hilarious debate about fruitcake.

The Americans talked about Red Dye #2, re-gifting, door stops, and mall shops. I boasted that a fruitcake in the US is a joke gift that keeps on giving, and that nobody ends up eating one.

The Brits were absolutely adamant, poetic, loving, and nostalgic about their Christmas Pudding. We got extensive "feeding" instructions on how to keep it forever in the fridge. You just keep adding heavy booze to keep it moist was the bottom line.

And then English-style fruitcake was served for dessert. It was heavy, rich, complex, and boozy, and was absolutely wonderful and unlike any artificially flavored fruitcake I've had in the US. It was like having a cocktail or aperitif, but with more fiber.

by Anonymousreply 3911/13/2012

[quote]Why do people use that disgusting red and green glacee stuff? You can buy perfectly good dried fruit in the supermarket!

Well, they're not really the same thing. True, dried fruit works well and is preferable in all ways, but it's not traditional in most recipes, and tradition trumps taste in America.

You can make your own candied fruit and peel, which is drastically different from the store-bought embalmed version, but it's more work than most people would like to do. My partner just made some candied orange peel for a recipe, and it's incredible, but involved blanching the peel four separate times, cooking it in sugar, dredging in more sugar, and then baking at a low temperature. It's a lot of work for a single ingredient of a larger recipe.

by Anonymousreply 4011/13/2012

R39, Christmas Pudding is plum pudding, not fruitcake. It is made months before Christmas and is stored in a cool place, where it is periodically doused with booze. It is reheated by steaming on Christmas day. Some people garnish it with holly and make a flambé. But it's not fruitcake.

by Anonymousreply 4111/13/2012

The fruitcakes from the Trappist monastery just south of Atlanta are excellent. They also grow the most incredible Bonsai trees there.

by Anonymousreply 4211/13/2012

Love it with a dollop of Crème fraîche

by Anonymousreply 4311/13/2012

I adore fruitcake. I only wish it weren't soooo expensive. Even one of those sub par fruitcake logs is well over $5. Figi's fruitcakes go for over $20.

by Anonymousreply 4411/13/2012

I've never had fruitcake, but it always looks goo on t.v.

by Anonymousreply 4511/13/2012

"Why do people use that disgusting red and green glacee stuff? "

I like the stuff, and finally found out why. That brightly colored candied fruit has the highest sugar content of anything listed on US nutritional tables. Old-fashioed glace fruitcate soaked in brandy has many more calories than the average pastry, so of course my sugar-loving taste buds adore it.

Can someone post a link to the very best monastic bakers? If I'm going to eat something that fattening once a year, it'd better be worth the calories.

by Anonymousreply 4611/13/2012

Lord & Taylor used to sell a wonderful fruit cake, besides the fruit, it had bits of chocolate in it...yum

by Anonymousreply 4711/13/2012

You are what you eat.

by Anonymousreply 4811/14/2012

If it only has real fruit and nuts in it, it's OK.

by Anonymousreply 4911/14/2012

You can buy plum pudding from the UK. They always have these articles in different periodicals declaring which shop has the best tasting store-bought plum pudding. One newspaper swears by Harrod's, another will declare Harrod's meh and swear that some discount chain plum pudding is better. The comments will say Marks and Spencer is best, etc.

It's all a matter of taste.

by Anonymousreply 5011/14/2012

Me yike snow.

by Anonymousreply 5111/14/2012

I love it too, when it's good.

It has an unfair bad reputation. Most who say they hate it have never even tried it.

by Anonymousreply 5211/14/2012

A friend from Jamaica gets "black cake" sent from home every year. It's more like rum in a solid form than cake. But I love it.

by Anonymousreply 5311/14/2012

I prefer fruit cake that isn't flavored with molasses (it's light brown to yellow.) Otherwise it has the same dried fruits and nuts. Does anyone have a good recipe for it? It's often served at tea parties. Tx.

by Anonymousreply 5411/14/2012

"Oh, you're the ones who sent me the fruitcake. It made me SO sick."

by Anonymousreply 5511/14/2012

Suet? That's what birds eat. Ick.

by Anonymousreply 5611/15/2012

You'll never find that fag shit in MY restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 5711/15/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!