Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Best Emma Thompson moments on screen

Opening the Christmas gift in "Love Actually"

The speech to the judge in "In the Name of the Father"

laughing at the nurses' mispronunciation in "Wit"

by Anonymousreply 1611/13/2012

There's a moment in Howards End when her character is trying to get her fiancé (Anthony Hopkins) to stop blabbering on and on about his past indiscretion with a prostitute and says tactfully "Let us speak no more about it." The way she delivers that is just perfect; my friends and I still quote that to this day.

by Anonymousreply 111/13/2012

Her scene with Denzel Washington in Much Ado About Nothing.

by Anonymousreply 211/13/2012

Having sex for the first time with Jeff Goldblum in "The Tall Guy."

Blurting out "fill me with your little babies!" in "Peter and His Friends."

The learning English scene in "Henry V."

by Anonymousreply 311/13/2012

Throwing shade at Audrey Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 411/13/2012

Sitting on the stairs to calmly drink her tea while her 2 sisters and mum have crying fits in their rooms in "Sense & Sensibility."

by Anonymousreply 511/13/2012

The naked angel in Angels in America.

by Anonymousreply 611/13/2012

Licking the last remnants of alcohol from her empty martini(?) glass in that episode of "Ellen."

by Anonymousreply 711/13/2012

Her reaction at the end of Sense & Sensibility (which she scripted) when she finds out Hugh Grant isn't married - its his brother who married that scheming trollop..

by Anonymousreply 811/13/2012

Gah, I love this woman.

Watching Alan Rickman's eye another woman's ass in The Song of Lunch. So much in one look.

by Anonymousreply 911/13/2012

AAAaahhh! r7 thank you for reminding me of THAT. That was episode soooo brilliant!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1011/13/2012

Are there any where she dies a bloody or fiery death?

by Anonymousreply 1111/13/2012

Just about every moment she has in Howard's End is perfect, which is why she won the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 1211/13/2012

R12 totally agree. Love the part when she stands up to anthony hopkins and defends her sister among others.

by Anonymousreply 1311/13/2012

Taking the book away from Anthony Hopkins in The Remains of the Day.

Hon. mentions:

Alone and able to reveal her torment after being so hurt by Alan Rickman in Love Actually.

Explaining to Kate Winslet that she is not the only member of the family with sense in Sense and Sensibility.

Learning that Hugh Grant is not married in Sense and Sensibiity.

The final scene with Eileen Atkins in Wit.

by Anonymousreply 1411/13/2012

Every second of her performance in Howards End is perfection. The best acting Oscar of the 90s and one of the best ever.

I love that great moment at the end when she finally says to Henry "I'm leaving you, I must tend to my sister". Fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 1511/13/2012

She can do no wrong. I heard her on NPR talking about the Peter Rabbit book she wrote. She was so charming and amusing, that I had an instant fantasy of her being my best friend.

You can read the interview at the link, but I'd recommend listening to it. It's the way she speaks and the words she uses. I think I'm in love with her.

by Anonymousreply 1611/13/2012
Need more help? Click Here.