Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Fearing an allergic reaction, suburban Frau DEMANDS city chop down all oak trees

But she claims "I'm not a crazy mom":

Fallen acorns a threat to kids with allergies, Vaughan mother claims

Donna Giustizia is campaigning to have oak trees near her child's school removed because of their propensity to drop acorns. A York Region mother is fighting to have oak trees removed near her child’s school, fearing that acorns could pose a deadly threat to students with severe allergies.

Donna Giustizia said the young trees on property owned by the City of Vaughan next to St. Stephen Catholic Elementary School are littering the area with acorns. The school, meanwhile, is nut-free to protect students with potentially life-threatening anaphylactic allergies.

“A false sense of security is putting a sign on the door that says nut-free and there’s nuts all over the place,” said Giustizia, who has two teenage children with anaphylactic food allergies, one of whom attends St. Stephen.

“I’m not a crazy mom, I’m not asking for anything that’s not already there.”

Giustizia appeared before Vaughan’s committee of the whole last week to plead for the removal of the trees.

Several councillors at the meeting questioned the precedent that removing the trees might set. Thornhill/Concord Councillor Sandra Yeung Racco wondered whether removing these trees would mean having to remove oak trees from other public properties where children with allergies might be exposed.

Councillors referred the matter to staff to prepare a report on the issue. City communications manager Ted Hallas said in an email that staff wouldn’t release details of the report before it is presented to councillors.

Giustizia, who chairs the school’s allergy committee, said she’s not suggesting the city become nut-free. But she’s worried about children who could come in contact with acorns at school, as well as the stress of being around a potential trigger of an allergic attack.

“The acorns are not only presenting a risk to the tree nut-allergic students but it is also becoming a great cause of anxiety amongst all students with nut allergies,” Giustizia wrote in her request to appear before the committee, adding that acorns “can also be used to bully and torment children.”

Peanuts and tree nuts are among some of the most frequent triggers for anaphylactic reactions. In recent years, many schools have instated often controversial bans on nuts and other foods that could cause a reaction in some students.

Dr. Paul Keith, an allergist at McMaster University, said acorns, if ingested, could trigger a reaction in someone allergic to tree nuts. But acorns are bitter and generally not eaten in North America, he pointed out.

“The only situation I could see is if they were bullied and forced to eat them,” said Keith. “You really have to eat them to have a reaction.”

Dr. Maria Asper, a pediatric allergist at Toronto’s Hospital for Sick Children, said skin contact with an allergen could cause a local reaction like redness or hives.

“I’m not aware of any reports of children having an anaphylactic reaction upon contact with acorns, so I’m not sure what the risk really is,” said Asper. “For the most part, as long as they’re just handled and not ingested, there’s no scientific literature to suggest anyone has had a reaction.”

May Moore, a spokesperson for York Catholic District School Board, said the board will respect whatever decision the city reaches.

Staff at the Woodbridge school are reminding students not to pick up acorns and custodians and administrators routinely go out to clean up the nuts, she said.

“Safety is certainly at the forefront,” said Moore. “The school is going above and beyond to pick them up … They’ve been very proactive, they’re doing what they can.”

According to the advocacy group Anaphylaxis Canada, it’s estimated that about 6 per cent of young children have a food allergy. One in 50 is thought to be allergic to peanuts.

With files from Torstar news services

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 6611/15/2012

The biggest nut is that woman!

If they do cut down the trees, they should make HER plant more trees to make up for the loss. The planet needs trees.

The lil darlin's aren't eating the darn acorns, are they? How can the acorns be a threat?

This entire things is ....nuts!

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 111/13/2012

She's psychotic.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 211/13/2012

Ridiculousness.

Jayden is allergic to melon, I want all melon removed from the local markets!

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 311/13/2012

I wonder if her kids are named Madysen, Kaieleigh and Chardonnay

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 411/13/2012

What I want to know is when did all the brats and their crazy moms become such delicate little flowers? When I was a kid there were children with legitimate allergies but no bid deal was made of it and most times no one knew. Now everytime you turn around some asshole is declaring loud and long that they are allergic to something and demand the world revolve around them and do something about it. What fucking nerve on a planet of 6 billion people what makes them soooooo special.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 511/13/2012

I was in line waiting to vote last week, and the mother in front of me had named her daughters Promise and Secret. Promise is weird enough (too much pressure?) but Secret? That's just child abuse.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 611/13/2012

Gash-for-brains.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 711/13/2012

R6 that's fucking awesome!

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 811/13/2012

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 911/13/2012

She chairs the school's Allergy Commitee.

I rest my case, ladies and gentleman of the jury.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 1011/13/2012

Obama's been reelected, time to begin the systematic eradication of the country's crazed, out-of-control, entitled white mommy legion.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 1111/13/2012

If you have to go out of your way to state that you're not crazy, then you probably are.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 1211/13/2012

Can't she just tell her kid to not eat acorns.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 1311/13/2012

Why have children become so fragile these days?? Kids ate dirt when I was growing up and they are still roaming the planet.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 1411/13/2012

Could someone just kill her? KILL HER, please!

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 1511/13/2012

It's hard to even imagine the level of entitlement that would lead someone to suggestion cutting down all the oak trees rather than teach your brat not to swallow acorns.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 1611/13/2012

MY MADISON AND KAYLA ARE ALLERGIC TO AIR AND SUNLIGHT!!!

I want the sun permanently dimmed and please get all this air out of here before they go into prophylactic shock!!!

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 1711/13/2012

Her kids are teenagers. And their mom is crazy. They are probably the most embarrassed teens in Canada right now.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 1811/13/2012

[quote]Why have children become so fragile these days?? Kids ate dirt when I was growing up and they are still roaming the planet.

It is exactly because they aren't eating dirt. When you raise your kids in the sanitary bubble that many are in raised today immune problems become a lot more common.

That is why you tend to only see all these problems in wealthy suburban environments with overprotective mothers.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 1911/13/2012

The school's ALLERGY COMMITTEE?

What. The. Fuck.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 2011/13/2012

[quote]Obama's been reelected, time to begin the systematic eradication of the country's crazed, out-of-control, entitled white mommy legion.

She's Canadian, but thanks for playing.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 2111/13/2012

Kids would be more likely to break their teeth biting into an acorn before they could have an food allergy reaction to one.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 2211/13/2012

If your children have a habit of eating things off the ground, you have bigger issues to deal with, asshole.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 2311/13/2012

[quote] She's Canadian, but thanks for playing.

As much as you claim to hate us R21, you simply can't keep yourself away from all things American, can you? If I lived in that miserable hellhole, neither would I.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 2411/13/2012

Sorry, like it or not R23 a lot of evidence is indicating that trying to make sure your little Jayden never puts anything off the ground into his mouth actually is a big source of the problem.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 2511/13/2012

Is this Darwinism gone awry? Has the internet allowed people who would have never bred (basement dwelling computer game addicts) to meet and have children, and this is the result?

If it is so bad, why have they not yet invented bubble boy (and girl) suits for these allergic angels?

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 2611/13/2012

And I'll also re-post that I DID live in a bubble, at the hospital, for about a year as a kid. As of a few years ago, I'm still "one of the most allergic people" my immunologist has ever seen. I weaned myself off of shots when I was 18.

How I would have dealt with alleged acorn bullying at school: worn two layers of industrial gloves, rubbed poison sumac on the perpetrator(s). Even if all nuts disappeared, there will always be something for allergic people and their parents to complain about. More of them should realize that.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 2711/13/2012

[quote]As much as you claim to hate us [R21], you simply can't keep yourself away from all things American, can you? If I lived in that miserable hellhole, neither would I.

Huh, r24? I was responding to someone who was trying to tie in this woman with Obama.

I don't hate Canada at all. You, on the other hand, are a pain in my fat asshole.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 2811/13/2012

[quote]I don't hate Canada at all. You, on the other hand, are a pain in my fat asshole.

R28. Did you gain weight and now your asshole is fat? I thought all assholes were the same size whether you were fat or thin. Hmmm. I learned something today.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 2911/13/2012

R25 I can understand a toddler may do something like that, but these trees are near an elementary school, meaning the kids cant be any younger than 7, 6 at the least. I'm sorry, but by that age I knew better. Every kid knew better. If a child that age doesn't know they're not supposed to pick something off the ground and eat it, they have a fuck up for a parent.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 3011/13/2012

Seriously, R18. Those must be the most embarrased teens in all of N. America right now.

I went to school in an area that is filled with trees that rained acorns on our school yard in the fall. The school was across the street from a public park (Sutter's Fort) filled with oaks. They were a staple in the native Indian diet in the area. We didn't need to be told not to eat crap off the ground, especially nothing as scrawny and unappetizing looking as an acorn. A foil wrapped chocolate egg, maybe, but an acorn?

The first lesson we ever learned about them is that they're extremely bitter to eat and that the natives went through some complex grinding and purification process to make an edible porridge. Any allergic child who managess to choke one would have to be suicidal or seeking vengence against his/her stupid parent who humiliated them in front of their peers and the nation.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 3111/13/2012

[quote]A false sense of security is putting a sign on the door that says nut-free and there’s nuts all over the place

Actually what might me more dangerous to her precious kids' health might be the fact that the biggest, most harmful nut of all lives with them in their own house.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 3211/13/2012

Typical frau bitch with way too much free time. Heifer needs a damn job!

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 3311/13/2012

While we are at it, can we PLEASE cut down all the pine trees? And the maples and those damn propellers every spring -- those can go too, right?

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 3411/13/2012

Somebody better tell her to get rid of all the oak furniture and stair rails - they were near acorns once.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 3511/13/2012

Leave the fuckin' trees alone, they were probably there before she was born and hopefully they will be there long after she is dead (and maybe it might be a good thing if that event isn't too far off in her case). Trees take in carbon dioxide which is a greenhouse gas which contributes to global warming which, in turn, helps create massive storms and hurricanes (which is the earth's way of trying to cool down) like Sandy. This bitch probably drives a gas guzzling SUV and wouldn't be caught dead on a train or bus (ala Midnight Cowboy, maybe?).

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 3611/13/2012

[quote]But she claims "I'm not a crazy mom":

I'm no racist, but ...

I'm not homophobic, but ...

I don't hate women, but ...

I have nothing against Muslims, but ...

I am not crazy, but ...

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 3711/13/2012

[quote] It is exactly because they aren't eating dirt. When you raise your kids in the sanitary bubble that many are in raised today immune problems become a lot more common.

Quoted for truth. I went to a seminar on this last month. The solution is more exposure, not less.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 3811/13/2012

Chop her down instead. If they go with this they are pathetic, making a decision without substantial scientific evidence.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 3911/13/2012

They aren't going to do it, are they?

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 4011/13/2012

Dr Paul Keith: “The only situation I could see is if they were bullied and forced to eat them.”

This will surely become a Law & Order or CSI plot now.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 4211/13/2012

When I was a kid, there were oak trees in the back yard and of course I once tried to eat a fallen acorn. FYI they taste horrible, and anyone who bites into a raw acorn is going to reflexively spit out every molecule.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 4311/13/2012

Thank you, R43. That's what I was going to say. Biting into an acorn is not something you would do more than once.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 4411/13/2012

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 4511/13/2012

[quote] there’s nuts all over the place,” said Giustizia

Well, she's right about that.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 4611/14/2012

Oak trees have been around for thousands of years, and yet the human race still survives. They may even pre-date humanity for all I know. They produce oxygen.

If we cut down enough trees on the basis that some precious children can't endure the presence of trees on this planet, we will all die. Virtually all plant life on earth produces some potential allergen such as pollen, mildew, flowers, etc. I say if her child is really so delicate it can't endure living on the same planet as plants, it's time to put it out of its misery.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 4711/14/2012

But those trees, they have the right height!

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 4811/14/2012

[quote]acorns “can also be used to bully and torment children.”

There's a subcommittee waiting to formed on this.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 4911/14/2012

Can also be used to bully and torment children:

Frogs Snakes Crawdads any sort of animal dung sticks stones

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 5011/14/2012

Sticks and stones may break bones, but an acorn's gonna kill 'ya!

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 5111/14/2012

Her child isn't dead from the nut allergy, despite having a fucking complete nut for a mom.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 5211/14/2012

Kayden, Mikaylëa, Zoeyy (2 Ys!), Preston, Kaieyleighé, Khaiye (pronounced like the name "Kay"), Kailyn, Jayden L, Jaiden T, Jadyn L, Jaidynn P. (two N's!), Jeaidenn T (prounced Jaeden), Madison, Brianna, Mia, Mackenzie and Ethan are all allergic to all plant life (they don't like their veggies!) so we must destroy all plants/trees/shrubs/vegetables, etc.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 5311/14/2012

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 5411/14/2012

And yet they fail to point out (my SiL is one of the best examples) that the GREATEST THREAT to our nut allergic progeny is THE PEANUT.

Which is a legume...

And from personal experience - there was almost WWIII at my parent's home when I made some macaroni and cheese with some NUTmeg topping. She (SiL) screamed at me for an hour before allowing her poor starving children some potatoes - which I forgot had been flavoured with mace.

And she loves my mum's praline toffee ice cream, not allowing the kids to have much "because it's a treat" - really she wants as much as she can shove done her throat...

My poor idiot brother puts up with it, even when s

We don't have the heart

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 5511/14/2012

^ "even when she's dragged them to Casualty"

Sorry.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 5611/14/2012

[quote] if a human child is STUPID enough to eat acorns (and happens to be allergic to them, when acorns are non-toxic to most human beings) and dies, that's a GOOD thing; it prevents that dumb human, hyper-allergic, larva from spreading his idiocy & pussification to another generation.

OmG, I would get in damn big trouble using this as an example of survival of the fittest i.e. the ability to avoid pussification. But it did make me crack up.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 5711/14/2012

My twins Brie and Camembert are allergic to animal dander. Any type of dander. They have a severe allergic reaction when they come into contact with any animal that has fur. In fact, they can go into shock just seeing an animal scurrying across the grass.

There are squirrels, racoons and opossums that are on school property. I want them removed. There are rats in the basement of the building. They must be removed as well.

Also, there are several dogs that live in the houses along the two block route that Brie and Camembert walk to get to school. I can't risk them getting sick from those animals. I want the City Council to ban all dogs from the city limits. And might as well throw cats in too.

We must make the world a better place for our children.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 5811/14/2012

Chop down the children instead.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 5911/14/2012

The "children" in question are teenagers.

Some people posting on the orginal article say that tree nuts are not legumes, and therefore her children may not be allergic to them at all.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 6011/14/2012

ITA with r59.

And can we chop down the parents while we're at it?

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 6111/14/2012

You have got to be fucking kidding me?

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 6211/14/2012

You should hook her up with that delicate guy and his partner with the next door neighbors that smoke in their yard. They can swap allergy stories.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 6311/15/2012

Now there's a crazy bitch in BC suing Air Canada for discrimination because they forced her to submit to an exam by their own doctors before being permitted to fly, due to her extreme strawberry allergy.

People like this should just be killed at birth.

I would suggest signs be posted letting people know they may be exposed to allergens, and stop accommodating absolutely everyone. At some point, they need to take responsibility for themselves - it's not the general public's responsibility or care.

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 6411/15/2012

The Allergy Committee will commence its scorched-earth campaign at 0400 hours. Hasta la vista, trees!

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 6511/15/2012

Gia, bring me the axe!

by THINK of the CHILDREN!!!reply 6611/15/2012
Need more help? Click Here.