Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Fraus & Chritmas

The fraus in my office started decorating for Christmas today. During the holiday season when I or anyone else wishes someone a Happy Holiday they aggressively correct "Merry Christmas!" I love Christmas, but don't feel the need to obnoxiously throw my spirit in other peoples faces. Are the cube fraus in your life over excited for Christmas too?

by Anonymousreply 10312/10/2012

A few years ago someone here had a cube-frau who would sing "now bring us some figgy pudding!" over and over.

I still think about that at Christmas each year.

by Anonymousreply 111/13/2012

I can hear holiday music from a cube played on her Sony CD box. Softly but I can still hear it for 8 hours, day after day.

Sometimes I just want to shoot myself.

by Anonymousreply 211/13/2012

I love [bold]Chritmas[/bold]!

by Anonymousreply 511/13/2012

ZZZzzzzzzzz. Same shit, different year.

Be more creative OP.

by Anonymousreply 611/13/2012

There's an auction site that I sell on and I noticed as I was browsing auctions this person spelling it CHRISTmas in their listings.

by Anonymousreply 711/13/2012

You will love my famous pumpkin pie! I'm bringing it to the company pot luck. What are you bringing? I'm so excited to be setting up my decorations!

by Anonymousreply 811/13/2012

Hey fruit loops, this is Agnita...

by Anonymousreply 1011/13/2012

I always claim to be Jewish at Christmas time.

by Anonymousreply 1111/13/2012

most of them were laid off when Obama was reelected.

by Anonymousreply 1211/13/2012

Why are cube-folk allowed to play music out loud and personalize their workspace? It sounds MORE depressing!

by Anonymousreply 1311/13/2012

It's awful I agree. I have a coworker, every day I come in and the first thing she says is "Good Morning." Now how does she know what kind of morning I am having, or what's going on in my life.

It's presumtous of her to assume I am OK with everything and that I should. So I went to H/R to complain about this bitch and they were all like it's my fault.

What? It's obvious that because I'm gay they hate me.

by Anonymousreply 1411/13/2012

OP, here's an easy solution for you to get back at these fraus. Sleep with their husbands.

by Anonymousreply 1511/13/2012

What? No mention of Quacker Factory Christmas sweaters? Socks with jingle bells on them? Gaudy wreath brooches with matching dangle earrings?

by Anonymousreply 1611/13/2012

R14 had better be a parody post.

by Anonymousreply 1811/13/2012

The frau-type woman has an over-the-top nesting instinct, that under the New World Order, HR (full of such women itself) fosters and promotes.

Any of you who remember work in the 70s and 80s will recall quiet, gentlemanly Christmases in the office. (But not events where the wives attended -- those could be horrible bitch fests.)

by Anonymousreply 1911/13/2012

Why are most, if not all, such irritating office fraus white? I've never come across a Black or Asian frau in the office. Does the sorority of obnoxious, overbearing white office fraus explicitly exclude women of color?

by Anonymousreply 2011/13/2012

[quote] Black or Asian

They can be fraus, too, because fraudom is all about estrogen, not melatonin. They just add their own cultural spin to it, but it is still fraudom.

by Anonymousreply 2111/13/2012

[quote]all about estrogen

I should have said "all about overbearing estrogen" because not all women are fraus, and fraus first victims are usually non-frau women.

by Anonymousreply 2211/13/2012

Is Critmas going to be a DL meme?

by Anonymousreply 2311/13/2012

Good question, R20. Why aren't black and asian women fraus?

by Anonymousreply 2411/13/2012

Bah humbug

by Anonymousreply 2511/13/2012

You must work retail, OP. Office workers don't acknowledge Christmas until after Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 2611/13/2012

R18 had better be a parody post.

by Anonymousreply 2711/13/2012

[quote] Why aren't black and asian women fraus?

You've obviously never worked in a NYC hospital. It's all Avon and traveling jewelry saleswomen and what's in the JCP circular this week and what are you going to wear to the party and girl, those SHOES! and I want a RING on this finger, and here -- this is what my kid is selling through school this week. Buy some candy, wrapping paper, popcorn tins, magazines? And horribly fishy lunch and dinner stank coming from the room with the microwave

by Anonymousreply 2811/13/2012

Aww, r3, I love you and completely agree. Josh Grobin has no range to speak of. Didn't Babs give him his start? His rendition of 'O Holy Night' sucks especially when compared to Maria's or Jewel's version. There's a NY radio station named WALK FM that does the Xmas music exclusively. Nothing worse when they air 'The Red Xmas Shoes'. Wrist slitting!

The fraus that insist on saying Merry Xmas are just going back to a simpler time before all of the PC bullshit. When they were kids it was 'Merry Christmas' especially if a few of them went to Catholic school.

by Anonymousreply 2911/13/2012

The posters who mention the fraus correcting people saying "Happy Holidays" and stressing "Christmas" or "CHRISTmas" must not live in San Francisco. Or perhaps California. I worked 20 years, in a law office, in San Francisco, and from at least 1995, any place I worked, it was "Happy Holidays" - "holiday" party; "holiday" cards (that the attorneys were sending out, to business contacts); emails re "holiday season", etc. Anyone who probably insisted on saying "Christmas" would probably have been spoken to, politely, by HR. I'm not kidding.

Which is correct, politically. Although the occasional emphasis on Kwaanzaa seemed A Bit Much.

by Anonymousreply 3111/13/2012

[quote]Those radio stations that switch to an all-Christmas format in mid-November are a total turnoff. Listen to one for a few hours and you'll discover they play the same songs over and over, day after day. Does Josh Groban pay them to play his "O Holy Night" twice every hour?

We have one locally, and now my husband (who's a 5-year-old when it comes to Christmas) insists on keeping the car radio tuned to it. I think I'll start calling him "Ginny in Billing."

by Anonymousreply 3211/13/2012

But Christians are a persecuted minority in this country! Especially the white ones. Didn't you see the election? You can't tell us to stop saying Merry Christmas. It's our First Amendment right. If those "Kenyan Americans" can say happy kwaanza, we can say Merry Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 3311/13/2012

I always say, "Have a good holiday." I say this before memorial Day, Labor Day, 4th of July, Christmas, New Year, etc. If someone says Merry Christmas back, I don't say anything. I just keep going. I already said have a good whatever.

by Anonymousreply 3411/13/2012

I'm putting the MUSS in Christmuss this year!

Getting me a hung star!

Finding me a round John virgin!

The hards will be GAY, Judy!

And, for Christ's sake, Cum all ye faithful!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3611/13/2012

It's probably a safe bet that people who use terms like "fraus" are less literate than those who are not misogynists, so OP shouldn't beat himself up over having written "Chritmas."

by Anonymousreply 3711/13/2012

I see suburban fraus do this more, what with all of their access to the suburban shopping malls and all.

by Anonymousreply 3811/13/2012

My goodness, you guys are a bunch of hypocrites. Here you are disparaging women, after weeks of going on and on about how awful Mitt Romney would be for women and women's issues. So be honest and answer me this: do you gays hate women or not?

by Anonymousreply 3911/13/2012

Why do you homosexuals hate CHRISTmas? Don't you love Jesus? He loves YOU--even though you are all going to burn in hell.

Oh, you like my "Jesus Is The Reason for The Season" banner hanging from my cube? My precious angels---Kayla and Shayla-- made it for me in Sunday school last year. I got written up by that *whisper * lesbian Wiccan in HR for displaying it, bit I prayed for her. I'll pray for you, too.

by Anonymousreply 4011/13/2012

We had the Christian fraus with their sanctimonious "Merry Christmas" and the Jewish fraus replying with their supercilious "Happy HOLIDAYS" and the rest of us watched all the good cheer of the year end get sucked out of the room.

by Anonymousreply 4111/13/2012

I'm picturing 8 fraus in hideous Xmas sweaters gleefully pulling a sleigh through their office while simultaneously playing 'Santa Claus Is Coming To Town' on their kazoos

by Anonymousreply 4211/13/2012

Women who work in offices are braindead idiots.

by Anonymousreply 4311/13/2012

Laughed until my stomach hurt with r9; fat, neurotic, browbeating FRAU alert at r30 and r35--we "fags" can make the difference in elections for you too dearie, we're not exactly asleep and snoring when it comes to choice rights for women (or men for that matter). Otherwise I just wanted to throw in my 2c worth about how annoying I find xmas and all the false, phony "good will" and "good cheer". One does not need some "special day" in December to express a truer sentiment along those lines and if you want you can give someone a gift any time you like, why do you need December 25th to do it? Many people are like Pavlov's dogs about this, once the "Christmas bells" start to ring and the commercial interests start to say "buy, buy, buy" the salivation starts and the pronouncements that "I 'HAVE' to buy gifts for soooooo many people and I haven't even started shopping". If I had more money I would go to some Buddhist or even Moslem country for the whole month of December just to escape all the claptrap and foolish phoniness. I read somewhere quite some time ago that in West Hollywood, a city with a gay government, city hall is open for business on Thanksgiving and Christmas but is closed on Halloween! And to all the Christian fraus who say it is Jesus' birthday, I will believe that when you show me the passage in the Bible directly quoting Jesus saying to celebrate his birthday.

by Anonymousreply 4511/13/2012

Nobody is saying that a person can't say Merry Christmas. They are saying that if someone says, "Happy Holidays" and another person corrects them and insists they say "Merry Christmas," it is impolite and possibly harassment.

Nobody gets fired or sent to HR for saying Merry Christmas. It's only for insisting another person say Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays.

by Anonymousreply 4611/13/2012

[quote]I always claim to be Jewish at Christmas time.

I drop little hints that I am [NB: I'm not really], such as complaints that the gaudy red Xmas decorations have no blue, but my coworkers are too dim to get it.

by Anonymousreply 4711/13/2012

Maybe you should complain to your coworkers "It's like a schvitz in here with all this red felt clogging the airflow.My asthma! My allergies! Hey.. Move your tokhes, I'm afraid I'll knock down this gaudy fake tree in the way here. Yeesh, I need all this tinsel like a loch in keppe!"

by Anonymousreply 4811/13/2012

[quote]browbeating FRAU

Can we just shorten this one to "fraubeating?"

by Anonymousreply 5111/13/2012

[quote] I don't care if you want to celebrate Festivus, but that means that schools have an aluminum pole IN ADDITION to a Christmas tree

I don't think schools are allowed to have Christmas trees.

BTW, I went to Catholic school and we never had a Christmas tree in school. We had a crèche. And we never got to make snowflakes or snowmen or paper cut-out mittens and put them on the walls or windows, like the lucky kids in public school.

Nothing "secular" was allowed. We each cut out and colored and angel and put our name on the angel. The nuns hung the angels on the classroom walls and put a gold star on the angel every time we sold a certain number of Christmas cards. Needless to say, the poor kids got zero or one star and the wealthier kids, whose parents bought a bunch of boxes and passed them out to friends, got a ton of gold stars. The one with the most stars got a holy medal or a scapular or something. .

Christmas in Catholic school was pretty dismal.

by Anonymousreply 5211/13/2012

If you hate our supposed "sexism/patriarchy", r50, then why do you hang out here? It is a gay site you know--there are precious few places we can be ourselves--you can at least walk down the street holding hands with your boyfriend without fear or hugging him in public, that is less of an option for us, just as is marriage, if that is what one wants to do (marriage for me personally is useless). Maybe I hate matriarchy and reverse sexism, but be that as it may, I "hear" you about trying to escape TG and xmas. I went to Ireland during the American Thanksgiving in 2005 and while I was relieved to find a regular working day on what was celebrated as Thanksgiving Day in the US, once it was discovered I was American I was told "Happy Thanksgiving". I told one person who said that that I came to Ireland to escape that for one year at least and they seemed a little amused when I told them that all Thanksgiving is is just a frenzied gorging fest where women do most of the work in the kitchen and men plop themselves in front of the TV to watch some stupid football game while the kids run wild and wreck the house--give me a week of diarrhea instead!!

by Anonymousreply 5311/13/2012

No it is an office r26 with some exceptionally frauish bitchy women.

by Anonymousreply 5412/07/2012

My nephew is dating a young woman who just loves, loves, loves Christmas and Christmas traditions and holiday decorations and Secret Santas, etc. I feel like telling him, "RUN for your very LIFE!:

by Anonymousreply 5612/07/2012

It's amazing how much drama and projection now exists in ALL holiday greetings nowadays. It's really sad.

Defensive much? We should just tolerate anyone saying whatever they want, as long as it's in good cheer, and not sarcastic and mean spirited.

[quote]We have had a secular tradition of Christmas in the USA since the 1840s. Why should we have to stop our 175 year old traditions because another culture has its own traditions.

The above at R44 is a good example of the defensiveness I'm talking about. It's automatically assumed that INCLUSION of OTHER ways of saying a holiday greeting means EXCLUSION of the more traditional one. The reality is, NOBODY who celebrates other holidays this season is wishing to end Christmas. But FOX News has the mouth breathers thinking otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 5712/07/2012

When I say frau I mean a conservative close minded woman, so no allies there.

by Anonymousreply 5912/07/2012

I'm mortified that my mother has several Christmas sweaters and earring sets. I just sigh and roll my eyes when she brings them out.

by Anonymousreply 6012/07/2012

[quote] Some of those fraus saved your asses from the clutches of the Mitt. Don't forget it.

Actually Obama lost the white female vote. Most white women are freepers, even if it's only by a small margin.

by Anonymousreply 6112/07/2012

[quote]A few years ago someone here had a cube-frau who would sing "now bring us some figgy pudding!" over and over.

That was not a song, that was a demand.

by Anonymousreply 6212/07/2012

The principle of an elementary school in France caused controversy this week when she tried to ban a visit by Père Noël (Santa Claus) out of respect for the country's secular tradition of laïcité. Of course the French version of Freepers cried "Islamisation!"

by Anonymousreply 6312/07/2012

^ Oh fuck, I know it's principal. Stupid autocorrect. I should have written headmaster.

by Anonymousreply 6412/07/2012

[quote]I don't think schools are allowed to have Christmas trees.

Ohhhh yes they are. Here's the hideous display at the entrance to my department.

by Anonymousreply 6512/07/2012

Christmas is just the same shitty cubefrau behavior found year round times one hundred.

Thankfully I have the option to telecommute a lot. If I'm in the office, I have to watch the herd of sows walk around with their coffee on one side of their massive gunts, and a plate of food/cookies on the other side talking about OMG I'M SO BUSY. Busy being a feed hog, maybe.

Not to mention the fact that since all these bitches do all day is eat and drink, they're "in the loo" every ten fucking minutes.

And yes, their statistics and results for what they produce show how lazy they've been. It's not just me being a grumpy bitch....though these sows make me want to say "bah humbug!"

by Anonymousreply 6812/07/2012

It's the OCD Troll, r67, who recycles threads. Every year it recycles a Merry Christmas vs Happy Holidays thread, a War on Christmas thread.

It recycles threads about vegans, autism, fibromyalgia, pussy, peanut allergies, gluten avoidance, entitled women with children, office holiday parties, anything about lesbians, chain restaurants, crimes committed by black people, obesity and a few other things.

It never ends, because people answer every time the same thread pops up.

by Anonymousreply 6912/07/2012

[quote] Sexism/patriarchy in gay men is arguably the worst.

Merry Christmas, Nan Michiganwomyn!

(Oh, wait...JC was a penised person, wasn't he? So sorry....)

by Anonymousreply 7012/07/2012

The "Christmas is banned" is such a freeper panic thing. That low-budget piece of crap looking film "Last Ounce of Courage" is about this.

by Anonymousreply 7112/07/2012

There are around 10 Christmas Songs and 50 versions of each one. I cannot stand it.

by Anonymousreply 7212/07/2012

Further proving my point, R70.

I also can't fathom how you could assume I'm Christian.

What a poor and transparent choice of immature, defensive remark.

by Anonymousreply 7312/07/2012

Considering Christmas has nothing to do with the birth of Christ seems to fly over many heads. It's the Winter Solstice. Jesus was supposedly born in the spring or summer. The tree is pagan in origin.

The proper greeting is "Happy Winter Solstice".

by Anonymousreply 7512/07/2012

[quote] I also can't fathom how you could assume I'm Christian.

I can't fathom why you think I give a fuck. Save your massive stack of everyone's-out-to-get-me issues for your therapist.

by Anonymousreply 7612/08/2012

[quote] I started homeschooling my daughter when she was suspended from first grade for bringing a Santa pencil to school.

More likely that she had a crazy overprotective, fundamentalist mother.

by Anonymousreply 7712/08/2012

When I was a kid in the 70s the factory my Dad worked at had a Christmas show for the kids every year where there would be a dog act or choir or something. The emcee would lead the audience in singing Happy Birthday to Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 7812/08/2012

Tell everyone that you want a caganer for Christmas. Nothing says Christmas like one of those delightful little figures from Spain.

by Anonymousreply 7912/08/2012

[quote] They can be fraus, too, because fraudom is all about estrogen, not melatonin. They just add their own cultural spin to it, but it is still fraudom.[/quote]

Hehe that's melanin, R21.

by Anonymousreply 8012/08/2012

[quote] I tend to think these "frau" trolls were molested by a close female relative

Yes. That seems far more plausible than the possibility that some posters may actually work with fat, annoying, conservative women.

by Anonymousreply 8112/08/2012

*kisses* R81

by Anonymousreply 8212/08/2012

From 2011 --

[quote]There seems to be a revolution brewing against our cube fraus. At a 'planning day' recently, the need for quiet space and a requirement for people to be respectful kept coming up. And one of the things that the facilitator talked about was the need to make sure that workplace 'flexibility' doesn't come at the expense of other people (previously unheard of advice!) Last Thursday, one of the managers actually told a herd of fraus that his staff needed some quiet (a previously unheard of intervention). Viva la Revolution!

Did this ever pick up steam or was it like the Occupy Movement that occurred at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 8412/09/2012

Join the fucking Frauish Inquisition.

by Anonymousreply 8512/09/2012

The 'Happy Holidays' pandering to jews shit is strictly an American thing. It's creepy. Even European jews think so.

by Anonymousreply 8612/09/2012

Not just Jews, R86. There are other non-Christians, you know.

by Anonymousreply 8712/09/2012

r65 = angry Christmas hating Jewbag

by Anonymousreply 8812/09/2012

Many years ago I saw a button that said "The tilt of the earth is the reason for the season" and have been kicking myself ever since for not picking it up. I've looked around online and can't find anything like it.

by Anonymousreply 8912/09/2012

[R75] I don't believe that it is Winter everywhere on December 25. I enjoy spending the season in Australia or NZ or even Palm Springs. Do they have winter in Jerusalem ? I've never been.

by Anonymousreply 9012/09/2012

[quote] When I was a kid in the 70s the factory my Dad worked at had a Christmas show for the kids every year

What's a factory?

by Anonymousreply 9112/09/2012

I agree r86. I spent a wonderful summertime Christmas in Australia.

by Anonymousreply 9212/09/2012

[quote]When I was a kid in the 70s the factory my Dad worked at had a Christmas show for the kids every year

When I was a kid, the local Moose lodge had a Christmas gift for every kid in the elementary school (about 240 students). We would all go into the auditorium and sing a few seasonal songs - Frosty, Rudolph, Here Comes Santa Claus, etc. Then the curtain would open and Santa would be seated on a huge golden chair surrounded by stacks of gifts all over the stage. Non-Christian kids didn't turn down their gifts.

by Anonymousreply 9312/09/2012

I wish more people took Prozac or learned to smile and move on. It's on my list but Santa never seems to deliver.

by Anonymousreply 9412/09/2012

Except the Australians didn't invent Christmas, you dolts. Christmas is the christianization of European winter solstice festivals. The people who brought Christmas to Australia were Europeans, importing their winter holiday to the southern hemisphere.

The fact that Christmas is celebrated during what is summertime in the southern hemisphere has nothing to do with the reason for Christmas. The reason for Christmas is that Christian priests remodeled pagan holidays with more acceptable "Christian" meaning. And the pagan holiday in December was winter solstice.

by Anonymousreply 9512/09/2012

[quote]The proper greeting is "Happy Winter Solstice".

I know 2 straight men in my small neighborhood who say this. One is over 70 & libertarian, the other is over 90 & liberal -- both highly educated & kind to animals.

by Anonymousreply 9612/09/2012

Er, r90, nearly all of our Christmas traditions--exchanging gifts, feasting, bringing trees indoors and/or decorating them, celebrating a grandfatherly man/god who comes on a sled from the north pulled by reindeer with presents for kids, holly, mistletoe, etc--are all pagan traditions celebrating the winter solstice, subsumed by the European Christian church in the middle ages to make the religion palatable and compatable with previous traditions.

I probably don't need to tell you that Australian and New Zealand Christmases came later than that, do I?

by Anonymousreply 9712/09/2012

Wait, Australians celebrate Christmas in the summer? WTF?

by Anonymousreply 9812/09/2012

Good grief R90. Did your mom shake you when you were a baby?

by Anonymousreply 9912/09/2012

Australia is in the Southern hemisphere, r98, so their summer season of warm weather is in Dec, January, February. As another poster pointed out, the tilt of the earth is the reason for the season.

Totally unrelated, but it reminds me of one of my favorites scenes from Muriel's Wedding, which is set in Australia.

Muriel is in a bridal shop, and she decides to pretend to be a bride-to-be so she can try on bridal dresses. The shopkeeper asks excitedly when Muriel has her wedding planned, and she replies nervously, "September." And the shopkeeper says, full of happiness and congratulation, "Spring!" It comes as such a surprising little kick to people in the Northern hemisphere.

by Anonymousreply 10012/09/2012

For R90

In America today, the mention of Christmas conjures many images for us all. The Christmas tree and the abundance of nicely wrapped presents. Christ’s birthday. Singing Christmas carols, chestnuts on an open fire, Yule logs, Mistletoe, Holly and evergreens, wreaths, and of course for the kiddies, Santa, reindeer and flying sleighs. Since this is my blog, the question is, how many are Pagan? Let’s find out, eh?

The traditions that we enjoy each Christmas started with the two oldest civilizations known at this time, the Egyptian and Sumerians. Since both were sister civilizations, with Sumer being the oldest, and the written accounts are found within each, it is hard to say which one started them.

The 12 days of Christmas came from the celebration of Horus or Marduk. The celebration for the rebirth of Horus lasted for 12 days, also for the celebration of the 12 day battle of Marduk to conquer the deities of darkness. It is in the Sumerian celebration that the next oldest tradition came from, Gift Giving. During their celebrations, the Sumerians held huge parades (Christmas parades anyone), wished good tidings to each other and exchanged gifts. The Greeks adopted the Solstice with celebrations honoring Zeus’s victory over Kronos and the Titans. The Romans also celebrated Saturnalia and their religion of Mithraism. It was the biggest celebration of the year and gift giving was expected from everyone.

The Christmas – Yule Tree. The Yule tree has been in traditions thousands of years before it became known as the Christmas tree in the 1840′s. In fact, the Christmas tree was banded in Every Christian denomination and in the Bible (Jeremiah 10:1-5) because of its Pagan roots until Queen Victoria changed it to allow herself to have one after returning from a trip in Germany. The evergreen tree represented the continuation of life to the Pagan culture of Europe and was decorated with what they wanted the new year to bring. Coins, Corn or other crops and flowers, lights for the return of the sun and successful harvests and gifts to their Gods. In later years, the Germanic Pagans created Ornaments to adorn the tree. They symbolized the sun and the warmth to come.

Other traditions came into the mix as the years went on. The Holiday Bells, or jingle bells were-are used to drive evil spirits away. Holiday Candles come from the Saturnalia celebration and were-are used as gifts to drive evil away and to urge the sun to return. Evergreens of all kinds (Tree, Wreaths, Garland, etc) have power over death since they don’t die in the winter and are used to defeat evil. Holly is the sign-symbol of re-birth. Wreaths are the symbol of Birth-Death-Rebirth in the continuation of the Wheel of Life. The earliest ones were made from tree limbs, and the Greeks covered them with greenery to make the image we have today. Snowflakes were-are used as a Pagan symbols of love. They were from the story of Persephone’s decent into the underworld. Demeter cried tears for Perephone and the tears formed the first snowflakes. The story has a similar ring to the Sumerian story of the decent of Inanna into the underworld. I am reading the Akkadian version of the story currently.

Who can forget the custom of kissing a pretty girl or boy under the mistletoe? The mistletoe for the Celtic people is used for fertility and abundance, and if hung over the doorway, protection from evil. The actual ritual of kissing came from the Norse custom to receive Freyja’s blessings of luck, love, fertility and protection from disease.

And now for the big, big S, Santa. The story we all grew up with, a jolly fat man riding in a sleigh giving out gifts to all the girls and boys. The good ones get toys, the bad ones get coal, is endeared into our fondest childhood memories of Christmas. The image of Santa is taken from the Celtic image of The God, as well as the Norse image of Odin, as an elderly man with long robes, gray hair and beard, and the wreath adorning his head. The image has regained popularity in recent years as the European “Father Christmas” in many a hobby shop and holiday stores. The image of Santa we know today came mostly from a political cartoonist of the 1880′s named Thomas Nast, who fattened Santa up, give him a pipe, and had little elves running about. An aggressive advertising campaign by the Coca Cola company in the 1930′s ingrained the image into pop culture, and no, Santa was not invented by them either, that is just an urban myth.

One of the real historical person in the Christianized version is St. Nicholas of Myra. According to legend, St. Nicholas would go and give bags of money to the poor on Christmas eve. One story in particular has him helping a poor farmer with three daughters. Since there was no dowry for the girls, no one would marry them and they would likely end up as prostitutes. Hearing of the farmers problems, St Nicholas came by with three bags loaded with coins. The farmer was not in, but a window was open, so he threw them at the fireplace and they landed inside the stockings that were on the hearth to dry. Starting the Holiday stocking traditions that would be incorporated into the Santa story of today.

Reindeer also have a special meaning to the Celtics as the stag symbol of the God Cernunnos. Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer was written by Robert May and published and distributed by the store Montgomery Ward. It is a story about a being different and overcoming those differences to lead the way in life, and to be able to prove to everyone you have worth, even with a major difference.

So, however you celebrate the American tradition of Christmas, Yule, or the Winter Solstice, it may all be based in Pagan, and Christian traditions, but I firmly believe that your God knows where your heart comes from and will bless us all at this time of year. Does this discount the American Traditions that all enjoy on Dec 25? No, I believe it enhances them with a rich traditions that go back to the dawn of civilization and keeps us in contact with our forebears.

by Anonymousreply 10112/10/2012

Thanks R101.

At one time, Santa was said to be very small. Clement Moore refers to him as an elf.

by Anonymousreply 10212/10/2012

A friend of mine works in an office where a frau has bestowed a little Christmas tree on the large Christmas tree as a friend. "I GOT A TREE FOR THE TREE" she squealed. It block the reception walk space and people have started kicking into it.

by Anonymousreply 10312/10/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!