Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

If you had a chance to relive your life . . .

under the same circumstances (same family, same birthday, same place you were raised), what would you do different?

I would quit football, which I didn't enjoy, and instead join the speech and drama clubs, which I was too shy and embarrassed to join at the time. I wonder how those classes, experiences, and relationships would have changed me? Would I be better at public speaking? Have betternlifelong friends, more self confidence?

At least I would have avoided knee and shoulder injuries. I wouldn't have hung out with jocks I couldn't relate to and who bullied guys in the locker room. Instead I might have learned skills that would carry over into my adult life. I might have become friends or more with Chris B. who was active in drama.

I wonder how different my life would have been. Dad would have been disappointed, but looking back I think he would have gotten over it.

by Drinking too muchreply 8111/18/2012

I would not have spent years floundering around in the arts (because that's what I thought gay men did) and would have started my career much sooner. I've discovered that I'm a much happier patron of the arts than artist.

by Drinking too muchreply 211/12/2012

No sense looking backward, OP...

by Drinking too muchreply 311/12/2012

I would have cashed in my stock options when they were at their peak value.

by Drinking too muchreply 411/12/2012

Would have been nicer to my Mom and Brother.

by Drinking too muchreply 511/12/2012

I would have not cared so much about what other people thought of me...I made this mistake when I started the 6th grade and it stuck with me for such a long time...I lost confidence, friends, and didn't go for opportunities in many areas. I'm 28 now and just really got over it a couple years ago. I'm a nice person but if I could life over again, I wish I would have still been nice, but a bit more selfish, concentrating on what I want.

by Drinking too muchreply 611/12/2012

I'm not tough enough to go through my childhood a second time.

by Drinking too muchreply 711/12/2012

I would never have stayed in the Jehovah's Witnesses. I would have left that cult when I was 18. I wouldn't have been so afraid of my father. I would have cut ties to my two brothers and my older sister sooner than I did.

by Drinking too muchreply 811/12/2012

What R1 said to some degree.

I am tall and uncoordinated, but was recruited for basketball and should have given in to the shorter hairy beary coach's advances.

I wish I had become an architect instead of a librarian.

by Drinking too muchreply 911/12/2012

I would have screamed bloody hell the moment my 7th grade math teacher laid a finger on me...and the school put him back intro the classroom and failed to protect me when they knew what was going on. The moment I turned 18 I should have sued. I am THISCLOSE to posting this with my real name.

by Drinking too muchreply 1011/12/2012

I would have never started smoking and I would have made sure my sister, who has just been dx'ed with small cell lung cancer at age 44, never started as well. I don't know if that would have made a difference but it can't have hurt. Same for my Mom.

I'd have moved but not to the city I ended up in.

I would have cut sugar out of my diet a lot sooner.

I would have never started taking prescription pain medicine, even though I am prescribed it legally and for a legit health matter.

by Drinking too muchreply 1111/12/2012

I would not have gone to law school. I would have become either a writer or a journalist. That has always been where my heart is.

I would also have kept in touch with my English teacher whom I was very close to, even after high school. The last postcard I received from her she inscribed, "keep in touch." I did't. She died from cancer a few years after I graduated from law school. I regret it so much.

by Drinking too muchreply 1211/12/2012

Hugs to you guys, don't regret the past too much. I am sure you have a lot to offer and enjoy.

by Drinking too muchreply 1311/12/2012

[quote]I'm not tough enough to go through my childhood a second time.

I wouldn't go through mine a second time either. I'd restart the clock on the day of my high school graduation. Wait a sec. If I *did* go further back, it would be to convince my parents to let me graduate early.

by Drinking too muchreply 1511/13/2012

God, what WOULDN'T I do different. I'd do almost EVERYTHING differently.

by Drinking too muchreply 1611/13/2012

I would have said something about the abuse when I was younger. I wouldn't have been so nice and a doormat in jr.high-I would have changed some so called "friends." I would have studied harder in high school. I was a good student, but I know I could have been even better, perhaps led to a better college. Having written that, I wouldn't have taken college for granted. I should have changed my major before I started my first semester. I was foolish to think that I should have gone into medicine for the money. I wasn't passionate or even talented in that arena and should have gone for something else. I wish I would have taken a year off before I went to college. ...But, I still have the rest of my life! :) Still have time to change things. I hope I will find out someday why I had to go through what I went through, why I made such stupid decisions, or rather why it was worth it. I guess I can say that I can somewhat see why, as my parents, uncle, and grandmother have needed my help over the years. If I had eventually graduated in medicine, I would not have had the time to help them.

by Drinking too muchreply 1711/13/2012

I grew up in a world where no one dare say the word gay. As a youngster I had a creative flair. At 11 I was winning blue ribbons at flower arranging shows. Reality sent me to the military and a post military career in a science field. My interest in art and artist has been constant throughout my life. I have dabbled in dealing in art and ferreted out numerous pieces of art by listed artist. Made some money at it and have always thought if I a redux was possible I could of had success as an art dealer

by Drinking too muchreply 1811/13/2012

Good question, OP. I've been thinking about this issue off and on for years, and come to the conclusion that I really couldn't have done anything significantly differently than what I did at the time. Given the external circumstances (time, place, family, etc.) my personality was my destiny.

Do I wish I had been fitter and therefore more attractive in my high school and college days, with better dress sense? Sure, but I've always hated sports and I never would have stuck out a long-term fitness program.

Do I wish my parents had sent me to better, more liberal and academically challenging prep-type schools where I might have been encouraged to use my high IQ rather than being told to fall in line and keep my mouth shut? Sure, but it was never going to happen, both for ideological and financial reasons.

So I guess I've done okay, and I'm not unhappy with my life as a whole.

by Drinking too muchreply 1911/13/2012

I would not have become a lawyer - worse job in the world. I would have also come out sooner instead of staying in the closet to protect certain people from being hurt.

by Drinking too muchreply 2011/13/2012

I would have learned to sing earlier, rather than waiting until my 40s.

I would have spent less time cruising, and more time applying myself to something constructive during my 20s.

by Drinking too muchreply 2211/13/2012

I wouldn't have purchased a personal computer - it's an addiction.

by Drinking too muchreply 2311/13/2012

[quote]Dad would have been disappointed

YOUR dad. We are not siblings. I have my own dad. So when referring to your dad to people who aren't your siblings, you say "my dad".

I can't stand people who do this. Someone please start a thread on this asinine practice.

Oh, what would I do differently? Not read this stupid thread.

by Drinking too muchreply 2411/13/2012

Not do drugs. Ever.

by Drinking too muchreply 2511/13/2012

LOL @ R24. I thought I was the only prisspot who hated that. Another pet peeve of mine is people who ask a question of themselves and then answer it.

Example from R19:

[quote]Do I wish I had been fitter and therefore more attractive in my high school and college days, with better dress sense? Sure.

[quote]Do I wish my parents had sent me to better, more liberal and academically challenging prep-type schools where I might have been encouraged to use my high IQ rather than being told to fall in line and keep my mouth shut? Sure

Ugh, just say what you wished you did. No need to embellish by phrasing it as a long ass question.

by Drinking too muchreply 2611/13/2012

My life was fucked up from the get-go: birth parents died, spent several years in an orphanage, physically/sexually abused, adopted but became a ward of the state again after my adoptive parents divorced 4 years later, also spent almost a year in a psychiatric hospital after a suicide attempt at 16, so by the time I was 18 and legal to make my own way/choices in the world, I was beyond fucked up. I tried to make a go at it the rest of my teen years, but spent my twenties in and out of psychiatric hospitals and unable to hold on to jobs. I'm in my thirties now with nothing to show for it (no relationship, no friends, no job, living on assistance) and asking the same thing: What could I have done differently? But I never felt in control of my life. I still don't.

by Drinking too muchreply 2711/13/2012

I remember when I got laid off for "not fitting in" I realized I could (and had) risen to every challenge, but I could never triumph against that one.

So for me, pretty much all roads led to 2012, and I enjoyed the life I could live until now.

by Drinking too muchreply 2811/13/2012

Skipped college and gotten into a trade instead.

by Drinking too muchreply 2911/13/2012

OP, I just spoke with Chris B.

Even if you were in Drama Club he still wouldn't have liked you.

by Drinking too muchreply 3011/13/2012

I would have started is the best exercise for my body-type.

by Drinking too muchreply 3111/13/2012

Would you?

by Drinking too muchreply 3211/16/2012

I would have at least tried to stand up to my physically and mentally abusive father.

by Drinking too muchreply 3311/16/2012

I would never have listened to my doctor who prescribed me Cipro. That was by far the single biggest mistake I've ever made, and it literally cost me my life. I am now 100% disabled because of it.

by Drinking too muchreply 3411/16/2012

I would have given up hating my schoolmates, clinging to it like a life preserver.

I would have spent more time with Dad before he died.

I would have followed my shrink's advice and started psychotropics instead of espousing the view that meds produced worthless, manufactured happiness.

I would have given up booze, smoking and drugs MUCH sooner.

I would have retained a better attorney in my fight to keep my stock options, rather than going with a friend of a friend who was willing to bill me at a discount. Ugh. I was so stupid. Young and stupid.

I would have forgiven more people their behavior.

I would have provided better financial advice to Mom at an earlier date.

I could go on and on, but I don't want to spend the time going down What If Lane. It's a slippery slope. It only makes me feel worse. I can only work with what I have in the here and now.

by Drinking too muchreply 3511/16/2012

Seriously: start a thread on the "Mom/Dad" thing. It's so annoying.

by Drinking too muchreply 3611/16/2012

Poor r24. So incredibly uninformed as to usage. And a harridan to boot! Bless your heart.

by Drinking too muchreply 3711/16/2012

Stopped using baby oil at 12 -16 to get a faster "deeper" tan. Ugh. Don't do it, teenaged self, you'll be using makeup to cover the age spots at 50!

Like some of the other posters, I would give myself the "power" to confront some truly abusive junior high school teachers. Really guys - Ridicule, humiliation, choking are effective teaching tools?

by Drinking too muchreply 3811/16/2012

I would go back to college and NOT give a fuck what anyone thought about me.

Being older is much nicer in that you really don't give two shits about what everyone else thinks, says or does. They're usually stupid anyway.

by Drinking too muchreply 3911/16/2012

[quote]Being older is much nicer in that you really don't give two shits about what everyone else thinks, says or does. They're usually stupid anyway.

That's how it used to work, but not any more. You have to constantly "manage" your image with others. If people sense you don't care what they think, they get offended.

If you offend someone, it is usually viewed as your fault.

by Drinking too muchreply 4011/16/2012

Let them be offended, r40.

I don't give a fuck.

by Drinking too muchreply 4111/16/2012

I would have gone to Harvard (without a scholarship) rather than Clark University with a full scholarship. I don't care if I had to work two jobs - I would have made it work. For me, it's about the relationships I would have made.

by Drinking too muchreply 4211/16/2012

I've reported r41 to HR and to the webmaster. He makes me feel threatened.

by Drinking too muchreply 4311/16/2012

"I would quit football, which I didn't enjoy, and instead join the speech and drama clubs, which I was too shy and embarrassed to join at the time."

I would actually not spend so much time performing and studying the performing arts but would have concentrated on writing and physical exercise, because they are the things I have found to make the biggest difference in my well being in my old age, the things I feel most happy about when I am focused on them. Not that I regret the choices I made but simply because knowing what I know now about myself, I can see that those are where my talents lie. I also realize that I am very introverted and I wish I would have experienced that as a not bad thing growing up rather than pushing myself to be something I was not.

by Drinking too muchreply 4411/16/2012

Fuck you, too, Cheryl at r43.

I especially don't give a fuck what YOU think!

by Drinking too muchreply 4511/16/2012

R34, how did you become disabled on cipro? I am taking it now (for walking pneumonia) and I have horrible, violent nightmares every time I fall asleep. Really dark, scary stuff. Back to the thread topic...I would have never started drinking every night to kill the pain of an abscessed tooth. I eventually got insurance, and fixed the tooth, but am still drinking nightly 15 years later. I also would have applied myself in college. I was fairly intelligent, and didn't have to try. I was lazy.

by Drinking too muchreply 4611/16/2012

r24 &26 Please get laid soon.

by Drinking too muchreply 4711/16/2012

I would tell all the people I loved (and who didn't know it) that I loved them.

by Drinking too muchreply 4911/16/2012

Viki, you only have one life to live.

by Drinking too muchreply 5011/16/2012

flip off my mother every time I passed her bedroom before I went to school.

Bitch laid in bed and pretended her kids didn't exist.. started in first grade.

by Drinking too muchreply 5111/16/2012

I would have picked the tennis team over the drama club in high school and be retired right now after a mediocre career and making over a million getting to a quarter final twice in a grand slam and winning a couple of tier 11 tournaments.

Instead I am washout in Hollywood looking for a second career.

by Drinking too muchreply 5311/16/2012

I wish I had followed my instincts with the boys whom I instantly knew were gay (at that age, I just instinctively new many of them were even though they were closeted--and that has made me ever since then believe 100% in my gaydar at first sight) and confronted them and fucked them. Some of them were quite cute (and, as it later turned out, were having lots of sex with one another at the time). But self-loathing and closeted gay boy that I was, I avoided those boys like the plague and instead obsessed over the sensitive straight boys who seemed like they MIGHT POSSIBLY be gay.

As it turns out, none of them were. (And I think I secretly knew that deep down, which is why I obsessed over them.) And I ended high school a virgin, when I could have gotten laid quite early had I been less self-loathing.

by Drinking too muchreply 5511/16/2012

I wouldn't have even spit on my current partner if he was on fire. The lying, cheating asshole makes me regret every fucking nano-second I've spent with him.

by Drinking too muchreply 5711/16/2012

by Drinking too muchreply 5911/16/2012

R47, Mom and Dad called. They said they love us more. You were always their biggest disappointment.

by Drinking too muchreply 6011/16/2012

I would have stood my ground and picked my own high school to attend, refused to go to church, stayed in the Ivy League (I dropped out), and generally not cared what other people thought of my "different" thinking. My creativity ended up imploding, because I put all my energy into trying to fit in. Stupid move.

by Drinking too muchreply 6111/16/2012

No r52, she played different tennis leagues a week. Morning group on a few days, afternoon group on a few days, and the fun one on the weekend.

Don't worry, nothing my therapist didn't ask. No alcohol problems or prescipt drug (your next questions).

As the therapist said, you don't play tennis and have an active social life with adults when you are depressed.

And yea, the therapist was intrigued, and basically she didn't care then and wouldnt care now.

by Drinking too muchreply 6211/16/2012

Today I found out my spouse of 26 years is in a longterm affair with a woman I thought we were mutual friends with. We had her over to dinner many times, even vacationed with her. If I could start again, I would've never married him.

by Drinking too muchreply 6311/17/2012

We don't care about you or your husband, frau.

Be gone.

by Drinking too muchreply 6411/17/2012

Would have ended it all at 18 when I had more courage.

by Drinking too muchreply 6511/17/2012

Can minor tennis players make a million? I thought their winnings were on par with minor league baseball players--poverty wages.

(Though I knew a minor league player who made 1 million in his first year, but only under a development contract.)

by Drinking too muchreply 6611/17/2012

[quote]We don't care about you or your husband, frau.

Who are you to represent all of us with your nastiness?

Stay away from the second person in your posts in future, you sour little bitch.

by Drinking too muchreply 6711/17/2012

Love there is no IF.

by Drinking too muchreply 6811/17/2012

R46 I took it EXACTLY as prescribed to me (2x500mg daily) and the next thing I knew my body began falling apart limb for limb. I too had the nightmares while one it. Almost more like shooting awake in a near panic. I cannot recommend more highly that you do some Google searches and start reading the plethora of stories from previously healthy individuals who are now completely disabled by that poison. It is NO joke. Everyone has a limit as to how much they can take before the drug's damaging effects become noticeable...hopefully you haven't passed yours yet. Seriously--start Googling. I cannot warn anyone strongly enough against Cipro and ALL fluoroquinolone antibiotics.

by Drinking too muchreply 6911/17/2012

I'm sorry r63. That must be terribly painful for you.

by Drinking too muchreply 7011/17/2012

r66, why no R in front of 53? I had to flip back a page to see if you were talking to me.

I'm in the top 100 in my alternative world, that is mediocre not minor player. In my ten years on the tour I figure I could at least accumulate $1 mil, my entourage would be small and I wouldn't buy a bunch of shit. Getting to a quarterfinal in a slam is a lot of cash. I did it twice in my scenario.

by Drinking too muchreply 7111/17/2012

That's terrible, R63. Do you have any children?

by Drinking too muchreply 7211/17/2012

I would have gone to New York to study interior design instead of to Kansas to study architecture.

I would have let people know me as I was instead of trying to be something I wasn't.

I'd rethink those hideous, oversized glasses I wore in the '80s.

by Drinking too muchreply 7311/17/2012

I would have studied abroad my junior year. I studied Chinese in college, but never studied in Asia. 6-12 months in the PRC or Taiwan would have enabled me to solidify my language ability and taken my professional career in a different direction.

by Drinking too muchreply 7411/17/2012

I would never (and let me stress NEVER) have let Matt in Dallas get away.

by Drinking too muchreply 7511/17/2012

R69, what do you mean by "my body began falling apart limb for limb"? What? How? That sounds horrifying and terrible.

by Drinking too muchreply 7611/17/2012

This life I've lived has barely been tolerable. I'd have to change so many things in order to be able to stand living it again that you might as well give me someone else's life to live.

by Drinking too muchreply 7711/17/2012

Thank you R47!

by Drinking too muchreply 7811/17/2012

Got it. Out of curiosity--why did you choose acting over the tennis?

(I was a teenaged tennis bum myself. After I was ranked in the state, my mother became an intolerable tennis mom and I quit.)

by Drinking too muchreply 8011/18/2012

Law of unintended consequences kicks in here.

You folks clearly have not watched enough Star Trek to learn the issues with temporal mechanics.

Each choice, decision or event is both the end result (effect) and a cause to future events.

by Drinking too muchreply 8111/18/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!