Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

President Obama Considering Sen. John Kerry for Defense, UN Amb. Susan Rice for State

I thought Kerry wanted State?

I have no idea what Rice wants, I never liked her anyway.

by Anonymousreply 5911/30/2012

Sorry, forgot to post the link to the Washington Post on this story.

by Anonymousreply 111/12/2012

R2 - Experience with the Bush admin. Experience with the failures to stop 9-11. Experience with the Iraq war.

by Anonymousreply 311/12/2012

Big problem taking Kerry out of the Senate is that Scott Brown will get another chance to get "his" seat back.

by Anonymousreply 411/12/2012

She has the experience of failure. It's not quite what we're looking for.

by Anonymousreply 511/12/2012

R4 - Maybe so, but Brown is damaged goods.

by Anonymousreply 611/12/2012

Brown already has a seat....

by Anonymousreply 711/12/2012

Why would our Democratic President nominate Condoleeza fucking Rice for anything?

by Anonymousreply 911/12/2012

I don't think they would have offered Kerry the Sec job unless the Dems felt they had senate seat safe. No fuckups like last time: they'll put up a Kennedy or Deval Patrick, or someone else who will campaign hard and has good name recognition.

by Anonymousreply 1011/12/2012

"Brown is popular and some people had a hard time choosing Warren."

What does that even mean? Warren won. Handily. You talk complete nonsense.

If Brown was so fucking popular he would've held on to his seat. Period.

by Anonymousreply 1111/12/2012

[quote] Brown is popular and some people had a hard time choosing Warren.

Apparently there were at least 53.7% of the electorate that didn't...

As the scuttlebutt is that Deval Patrick is likely to be tapped to be Attorney General, I can't believe President Obama would leave two big holes in the Massachusetts Democratic machine.

OTOH, John Kerry as Secretary of Defense means that he couldn't be Secretary of State, which I'm fine with.

by Anonymousreply 1211/12/2012

R4, there's also another Massachusetts Republican in need of a job.

by Anonymousreply 1311/12/2012

Susan Rice our ambassador to the UN. Geez...

by Anonymousreply 1411/12/2012

"Brown is popular and some people had a hard time choosing Warren."

An incumbent who got defeated relatively easily is not popular.

by Anonymousreply 1511/12/2012

Papa John's is cutting my hours, so I'm very interested in these new positions opening up. How does one apply to replace a sitting senator? How about to be the CIA Chief?

by Anonymousreply 1611/12/2012

Better Susan Rice than Susan Lucci.

by Anonymousreply 1711/12/2012

There's always Richard Holbrooke for Sec of State.

I think Rice is a damaged good. The GOP and their Benghazi conspiracy theories are not going to confirm her.

Andrea Mitchell was on Rachel's show tonight and she said that the WH wants Rice as SOS but it will be a battle to get her confirmed.

by Anonymousreply 1811/12/2012

No, R11, I am not talking complete nonsense but thank you so much for chiming in with that insightful analysis.

What it means is that I know people in MA who like Scott Brown and had a difficult time choosing between Warren and Brown. I thought that seemed fairly clear in my earlier post.

Yes, obviously, Warren won by a comfortable margin. That doesn't mean that no one in Massachusetts voted for Scott Brown and the polls had them running neck and neck for months. If this seems incorrect to you, check the polling and the election results.

Brown's white, working-class, truck driving, ordinary guy shtick goes over well in some parts of MA. As I mentioned, parts of MA are a lot more like New Hampshire than they are like Boston.

If you think that Kerry's seat is perfectly safe and Scott Brown can't get elected in Massachusetts, think harder.

Before we give up John Kerry to Defense, State or anything else, that seat had better be locked down.

by Anonymousreply 1911/12/2012

While I think John Kerry would do very well at either position, the Democrats fought so hard to finally get Ted Kennedy's seat back in MA so that the Democrats once again holds both Senate seats in that state. I don't want to see them lose the other MA seat if Kerry is nominated for wither position!

If Kerry is nominated for either of these posts, the national Democratic party better sure as hell have a VERY strong populist candidate lined up for this seat. That is the only way to beat the GOP. That was how President Obama just won his re-election with strong ecomonic populist messaging.

by Anonymousreply 2011/12/2012

There are so many better candidates for Defense Secy - why pick someone with all that Vietnam baggage?

by Anonymousreply 2111/12/2012

R19 - "That doesn't mean that no one in Massachusetts voted for Scott Brown and the polls had them running neck and neck for months. If this seems incorrect to you, check the polling and the election results."

The early polls had them neck and neck, but after the debates, Brown's numbers went south. Nate Silver predicted that MA would have a 99 percent probability of electing Warren.

by Anonymousreply 2211/12/2012

Fuck. If Kerry is selected to Obama's Cabinet, Scott Brown is best-positioned to reclaim a seat in the Senate. Is it worth the sacrifice?

by Anonymousreply 2311/12/2012

What is scary is that it would be a special election (significantly less turnout) ... Brown has a solid # of independents who like him and the infrastructure in place. No Democrat candidate really stands out & ppl will be annoyed if Deval pulls a Romney and leaves his Gov seat before end of term

by Anonymousreply 2411/12/2012

Why are you guys panicking? Even if Brown took Kerry's seat, the Senate will remain democratically controlled.

by Anonymousreply 2511/12/2012

Why not Gen. Wesley Clark for Sec. of State?

by Anonymousreply 2611/12/2012

What r26 said. I don't like Rice.

Seems like she's going to get the job, though.

by Anonymousreply 2711/12/2012

I wonder if Obama has considered that this could put Scott Brown back in the senate.

by Anonymousreply 2811/12/2012

I wonder if r28 reads replies beyond r3....

by Anonymousreply 2911/12/2012

R25, any GOP in the Senate or House would represent another vote to cut taxes for the 1-percenters, cut SS and Medicare, Pell Grants, and any other safety net program for working class Americans not to mention a vote against gay rights.

Why cede even 1 seat to the GOP at all when you know what their crazy agenda is?

by Anonymousreply 3011/12/2012

Wesley Clark might even work better at Sec.of Defense.

by Anonymousreply 3111/12/2012

I'd love to see General Clark back in the game for the Democratic Party.

His first run at the presidency was a clusterfuck but I always thought he could have done a lot better.

by Anonymousreply 3211/12/2012

Ashley Judd or Angelina Jolie as Secretary of State!

by Anonymousreply 3311/12/2012

Clinton/Clark 2016?

by Anonymousreply 3411/12/2012

R18 Richard Holbrooke is dead.

by Anonymousreply 3511/12/2012

R34, that's a walk down memory lane for me.

I still like it.

by Anonymousreply 3611/12/2012

Chuck Hagel will be Sec. of Defense

by Anonymousreply 3711/12/2012

The collapse of America is happening mush faster than I thought

by Anonymousreply 3811/12/2012

I think r37 is onto something.

by Anonymousreply 3911/12/2012

Ugh, can you imagine John Kerry as SOS, boring the world to death? Does the US really want to inflict him on the global community?

by Anonymousreply 4011/13/2012

And yet Richard Holbroke in his present state would still be a damned sight better than Susan Rice.

I'm not enthusiastic about either Kerry or Rice.

I know this is getting repetitive but Bill would be a great Secretary of State. It needs to be someone respected and liked around the world. Maybe Angelina would be a good idea. They'd show up and listen to her.

We need to think about this more.

by Anonymousreply 4111/13/2012

As long as his choices don't risk losing a senate seat...

by Anonymousreply 4211/13/2012

[quote]There are so many better candidates for Defense Secy - why pick someone with all that Vietnam baggage?

Because he's a decorated veteran with a distinguished public service career?

by Anonymousreply 4311/13/2012

I'm sure Obama isn't ready to give up a Senate seat. Don't Kerry's going anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 4411/13/2012

I hope neither prevail.......

by Anonymousreply 4511/13/2012

When will we start hearing who is appointed to what?

by Anonymousreply 4611/13/2012

I think Kerry would make an excellent Secretary of Defense. Especially BECAUSE of his Vietnam War history.

by Anonymousreply 4711/13/2012

We need to send the White House e-mails and petitions asking them not to nominate John Kerry for anything where he has to leave Massachusetts. We need to nip this telegenic Scott Brown monster in the bud... If we let him in, he'll cause trouble for us forever.

by Anonymousreply 4811/13/2012

And nobody thinks of Bill Clinton for SOS? The savings on stationary alone would be considerable.

by Anonymousreply 4911/13/2012

Now that we've had three women as secretary of state, do we have to have another one necessarily? Can't we have a man in that role again? or does it have to always be women from hereon out?

by Anonymousreply 5011/13/2012

LOL @ R49!

by Anonymousreply 5111/13/2012

R8 further displays the foolish, confused thinking - at best - that continues to deny the power and right of the majority in voting who they voted for.

Warren won with 53.7% of the vote. That is a good margin.

I know you're just trying to say that things are tight in Massachusetts because people are willing to vote for a moderate Republican. With Romney having been governor there, dear, we don't need the reminder, since your state made the fuckhead's run possible.

Just don't act like Warren didn't win and win decisively. Regardless of the number of Boston dumbshits who didn't like her.

by Anonymousreply 5211/13/2012

We need an Asian man as SOS. Haven't tapped that demographic yet. Or an Hispanic/Latino..(whatever is the current name.)

by Anonymousreply 5311/13/2012

Lord r50...

by Anonymousreply 5411/13/2012

It won't be Oprah, I can tell you that.

by Anonymousreply 5511/13/2012

What about Gayle Winfrey for Defense?

by Anonymousreply 5611/13/2012

If Warren had won by double digits like Obama did over Romney I would feel better. She couldnt get all of the Obama vote which signifies Browns healthy lead with Independents.

The D challenger is not yet known (Lynch?Capuano?) and voter turnout for special elections is less than a midterm.

On the plus side the D candidate will not take for granted like Coakley ... and I want Clinton to camp out in the state

by Anonymousreply 5711/13/2012

Chris Matthews was saying that Ed Markey's looking at it quite seriously. Now that's a candidate who might be worth the risk.

Tweety said that Markey had considered it before Warren threw her hat in the ring this time.

The thing is, now that those freaks have gone after Susan Rice the way they have, I really want the President to nominate her and, of course, win.

by Anonymousreply 5811/30/2012

We need a Democrat for Defense. Seriously. Panetta was the first Dem to hold that position since Carter because Clinton and Obama had previously put Republicans in that role.

by Anonymousreply 5911/30/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!