Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How do you keep mashed potatoes warm?

I want to make them an hour or so ahead of time and then put them aside so I can concentrate on other things. I've been looking online and there are two schools of thought in this matter;

1) Keep them warm in a crock pot set on low

2) Keep them in a simmering double boiler

Either one of those things would work. I could cook and mash the potatoes, use one of the above methods to keep them warm while I prepare other items. Then when it's time to serve the potatoes I could add the heated milk and butter, mix, and serve.

What say you?

by Anonymousreply 311/12/2012

Carefully spoon the mashed potatoes into a hot water bottle and tie this around your mid-section.

The spuds will be kept delightfully warm and squishy as you bustle about your kitchen.

Then squeeze the potatoes into your serving dish and zap in the microwave for minute or two.

One final stir and place on your table for the oohs and ahhhs.

by Anonymousreply 111/12/2012

LOL @ R2. Personally, the whole idea is not to have to do anything to the mashed potatoes at the last minute. I prepare them and put them in a casserole dish, then I either nuke them for a couple of minutes or put them in the oven for 15-20 minutes while the turkey is resting.

by Anonymousreply 211/12/2012

The double boiler method works quite well - I've done that several times with good results. It's nice to be able to make the mashed potatoes well ahead of time so they are not part of the prep scramble at the end.

by Anonymousreply 311/12/2012
Need more help? Click Here.