Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

American Holiday Cookery - Pecans

Looking at cookbooks just now, I have decided to make two deep-dish bourbon pecan pies for Thanksgiving. My sister's hosting this year and I said I would bring a dessert.

The new crop pecans are just now coming in at my local market and these are what I shall use.

This made me wonder -- do Europeans and Asians grow pecans?

Do they know what they are?

And if they do, do they like them?

I wonder if growers and jobbers in the USA ship our American pecans overseas.

Can foreign DLer's clue me in and wise me up?

by Anonymousreply 2411/14/2012

It is all on Wiki.

by Anonymousreply 111/12/2012

We don't want to look on Wiki we want answers DL style.

by Anonymousreply 211/12/2012

Hey Irish and UKers --- know what a pecan is?

BTW, it's pronounced "peh-KAHN."

Don't let silly Yankees tell you it's "pee-can."

by Anonymousreply 311/12/2012

WHERE ALL THE PEOPLE OF THIS FORUM HAVE GONE? I FEEL LONELY

by Anonymousreply 411/12/2012

I can attest to the fact that they do indeed have pecan trees in the UK. Several years ago I was there for work and was visiting a little village near Coventry and there was a huge pecan tree just behind the village church. It was off season but I asked if the tree produced a good crop and was told it did and the church would gather and sell the pecans.

by Anonymousreply 511/12/2012

No more anecdotes about pecans from foreign (i.e., non-North American) DLers?

Please, share your knowledge!

by Anonymousreply 611/13/2012

I always thought pecans were native to North America and found nowhere else naturally in the world. Not entirely sure though...

by Anonymousreply 711/13/2012

[quote]WE don't want to look on Wiki we want answers DL style.

WTF is wrong with you?

From Wikipedia:

[quote]The pecan ( /pɨˈkɑːn/, /pɨˈkæn/, or /ˈpiːkæn/), Carya illinoinensis, is a species of hickory, native to south-central North America, in Mexico from Coahuila south to Jalisco and Veracruz,[1][2] in the United States from southern Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, and Indiana to Virginia, southwestern Ohio, south through Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Florida, and west into New Mexico.

Is that fucking "DL-style" enough for you, you lazy fucking cunt?

by Anonymousreply 811/13/2012

R8 It's the DL spin you put on the wiki quote. Can't find that anywhere

by Anonymousreply 911/13/2012

What did you call me, R8?

by Anonymousreply 1011/13/2012

Are you that Nebraska cunt, R11?

by Anonymousreply 1211/13/2012

Ah, love me the sweet bourbon pecan pie, OP! Classic pecan pie, too. I am getting into baking, but I try not to do it often because I'd eat the whole thing. OP, you like pecan fudge?

My favorite:

4 cups sugar 4 tablespoons cocoa 2 cups whole milk 1/4 cup of good Bourbon 16 ounces whole pecans

Directions: In a heavy saucepan, mix sugar and cocoa until blended. Add milk and stir until blended.

Heat and slowly bring mixture to a boil. Allow mixture to boil up and dissolve sugar crystals on the sides of the pan.

Boil until candy reaches the soft ball stage (230-240 degrees), stirring constantly.

To test for "soft ball stage" drop a little of the candy mixture in clean, ice cold water. If you can roll it around with your finger and it holds together, it's ready.

Remove from heat, and stir in bourbon. Beat mixture with a spoon, stirring briskly until the candy starts to crust around the sides of the saucepan and the mixture thickens considerably.

Pour into a buttered 9x13 glass dish. Allow to cool slightly and cut into squares. Press a whole pecan into the top of each square.

by Anonymousreply 1311/13/2012

Wow, that pecan fudge sounds great. I am a little scared of making fudge and the "soft ball stage," but I think I'll have to try this.

by Anonymousreply 1411/13/2012

One of the reasons pecans are not cheap is because China loves American pecans.

Our 2 trees are just beginning to drop their nuts. I'm competing with the squirrels. The bottom of the trees are wrapped in tin, so the critters can't climb the trees. I've probably picked up 3 gallons of them so far.

by Anonymousreply 1511/13/2012

R Frenchies, Deutchies, and Swissies pecan eaters?

by Anonymousreply 1611/13/2012

I shall use the pecans from my pecan tree.

by Anonymousreply 1711/13/2012

Georgia has the best pecans.

by Anonymousreply 1811/13/2012

I miss my grandmother's pecan pralines. She made them at Christmas and gave them as presents.

by Anonymousreply 1911/13/2012

[quote]1/4 cup of [bold]good[/bold] Bourbon

This HAS to be an Ina recipe.

by Anonymousreply 2011/13/2012

You guys crack me up.

How are pecans grown in GA better than others? I've never noticed any variation in pecans other than size.

by Anonymousreply 2111/13/2012

Pecan recipes.

Some of these look quite tasty.

by Anonymousreply 2211/13/2012

Oooh, ooh, oooh!

Gonna try this as a Thanksgiving side salad.

by Anonymousreply 2311/14/2012

Pecans -- little kernels of joy...

by Anonymousreply 2411/14/2012
Need more help? Click Here.