Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

In 59 Philadelphia voting divisions, Mitt Romney got zero votes

It's one thing for a Democratic presidential candidate to dominate a Democratic city like Philadelphia, but check out this head-spinning figure: In 59 voting divisions in the city, Mitt Romney received not one vote. Zero. Zilch.

These are the kind of numbers that send Republicans into paroxysms of voter-fraud angst, but such results may not be so startling after all.

"We have always had these dense urban corridors that are extremely Democratic," said Jonathan Rodden, a political science professor at Stanford University. "It's kind of an urban fact, and you are looking at the extreme end of it in Philadelphia."

Most big cities are politically homogeneous, with 75 percent to 80 percent of voters identifying as Democrats.

Cities are not only bursting with Democrats: They are easier to organize than rural areas where people live far apart from one another, said Sasha Issenberg, author of The Victory Lab: The Secret Science of Winning Campaigns.

"One reason Democrats can maximize votes in Philadelphia is that it's very easy to knock on every door," Issenberg said.

Still, was there not one contrarian voter in those 59 divisions, where unofficial vote tallies have President Obama outscoring Romney by a combined 19,605 to 0?

The unanimous support for Obama in these Philadelphia neighborhoods - clustered in almost exclusively black sections of West and North Philadelphia - fertilizes fears of fraud, despite little hard evidence.

Upon hearing the numbers, Steve Miskin, a spokesman for Republicans in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, brought up his party's voter-identification initiative - which was held off for this election - and said, "We believe we need to continue ensuring the integrity of the ballot."

The absence of a voter-ID law, however, would not stop anyone from voting for a Republican candidate.

(more at the link)

by Anonymousreply 2811/13/2012

Who would those "contrarians" have been? The generation of blacks old enough to have some loyalty to the Republican party have died off by now.

by Anonymousreply 111/12/2012

Voter fraud! Voter fraud!

by Anonymousreply 211/12/2012

Republicans are fucking idiots.

by Anonymousreply 311/13/2012

Smart people in those 59 voting areas.

by Anonymousreply 411/13/2012

R5 just isn't getting it.

by Anonymousreply 611/13/2012

No brotherly love for Mitt in Philadelphia.

by Anonymousreply 811/13/2012

I live in Philadelphia. Those are almost exclusively black neighborhoods. There was no voter fraud; they hate Romney there and btw most of Philadelphia voted for Obama including whites and hispanics.

by Anonymousreply 911/13/2012

Romney was polling around 0% with blacks nationwide, so this isn't really that surprising.

by Anonymousreply 1011/13/2012

We're down with the brothers. We got nine percent of the black vote across the country.

by Anonymousreply 1111/13/2012

This makes me very happy. There's a lot of conservatives, even in the city. My next door neighbor here in South Philly is a racist fuck and a busybody.

by Anonymousreply 1211/13/2012

It was all those urban people

by Anonymousreply 1411/13/2012

R5 = stuck in the past

by Anonymousreply 1511/13/2012

What are these "59 divisions"? If they mean precincts, why didn't they say so. Sounds like disinformation to me.

by Anonymousreply 1611/13/2012

It's a lie. They are making it up.

by Anonymousreply 1711/13/2012

I don't see what's so surprising - 19,000 votes is not a lot in a city the size of Philly.

What about all of the areas of the country without Obama votes? Surely there were some.

by Anonymousreply 1811/13/2012

Just checked ward one. No "divisions" with zero votes for Romney.

by Anonymousreply 1911/13/2012

Just checked 27 divisions in ward 2. All had Romney votes.

by Anonymousreply 2011/13/2012

I'm sure there were areas of the USA where Dems got zero votes. You know, the places where they want to re-enact the Civil War? I'm not worried about them imposing literacy tests again. Their own GOP supporters couldn't pass them.

by Anonymousreply 2111/13/2012

I'm from Philly too. Even many of the whites here who have issues with black people voted for Obama...go figure.

by Anonymousreply 2211/13/2012

In the third ward, won by Obama 9642 to 53 there were exactly 2 of 22 "divisions" with no votes for Romney. If I were looking for fraud, I would look in the ones where there were 1 or 2 votes for Romney. That doesn't mean all Republicans were shut out. One of them got 127 votes, but that was the highest of all the GOP vote totals.

by Anonymousreply 2311/13/2012

R19/R20 - so it's all a lie? Do you have a link to those tallies?

I'm not surprised - but shit, that asshole needs to be called out.

by Anonymousreply 2411/13/2012

Philadelphia has 66 wards. Each ward has about 25 "divisions." That means there are around 1,650 "divisions" in Philadelphia, a city of 1.5 million people.

59 out of 1650 is 3.5% in a city won by Obama with 85% of the vote.

Not exactly evidence of massive fraud.

by Anonymousreply 2511/13/2012

*gasp*!!!

You just did MATH!

What are you, a commie?!?

by Anonymousreply 2611/13/2012

Well, Obama won those precincts 19,600 to nothing.

Let's say for the sake of argument there was fraud in those precincts and Romney should have won 15%, his citywide total.....Well, then you would have to move less than 3,000 votes from Obama to Romney, not even 10% of what he would have needed to carry Pennsylvania.

And there is no reason to think he would get 15% in black neighborhoods.

by Anonymousreply 2711/13/2012

R25 you're forgetting that for Republicans, the fact that Romney lost at all is evidence enough there was fraud.

by Anonymousreply 2811/13/2012
Need more help? Click Here.