Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Abilene, Texas

I have to spend a week there after New Year's. The city's tourism website and the pictures online do not leave me with a lot of hope of things to do past the first day. Downtown and the Grace Museum look like they're worth an afternoon's stroll. Nightlife is conspicuously absent from any discussions.

What does DL know about the place?

by Anonymousreply 4211/18/2012

Abilene, Abilene, prettiest town I've ever seen, women there don't treat you mean in Abilene, myyyyyyyy Abileeeeeene.

Actually, Abilene is a Biblical name if I'm not mistaken--the location is today mostly what is now called the Golan Heights, Syrian territory officially occupied by Israel.

by Anonymousreply 111/11/2012

There is not much to Abilene unless you count Abilene Christian University.

by Anonymousreply 211/11/2012

Pretty barren

by Anonymousreply 311/11/2012

Lord, OP, I live in TX and wouldn't step foot there.

by Anonymousreply 511/11/2012

I stayed in a motel there one night that stunk like wet dog.

by Anonymousreply 611/11/2012

There's nothing there, OP. Don't look forward to it, just grit your teeth and get out ASAP.

by Anonymousreply 711/11/2012

the cowboy had on tight jeans with a bubble butt and huge package as I unbuttoned his jeans out came a 9 inch thick cock with a very hairy bush. I reached around and put three fingers in his hairy hole

by Anonymousreply 811/11/2012

Why on earth are you going there OP?

by Anonymousreply 911/12/2012

Yikes Abilene? I am a Texan and wouldn't want to get stuck there.

I definitely would check the movies playing that week.

Very Christian and a bunch of religious assholes.

Good God what did you do to deserve that hellhole?

by Anonymousreply 1011/12/2012

Thanks, everyone. Sigh. That's what I was afraid of.

I even searched for Abilene gay bars and found that the ones they had seem to have closed.

The two top-rated hotels I've found have been a Residence Inn and a La Quinta, but I may stay at the "MCM Elegante Suites" for the name alone (of course there is an accent mark over the last E in "Elegante"). It is "conveniently located directly across from the Mall of Abilene, and just minutes away from the Abilene Zoo, Putt-Putt Golf and Games, movie theaters, museums, and all your favorite restaurants."

Kill me now.

by Anonymousreply 1111/12/2012

The zoo animals will be fine company. The Abilene citizens, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 1211/12/2012

Is the zoo OK? The pictures online are incredibly depressing. There's a lot of chain link and a sort of concrete overpass over the giraffe exhibit.

by Anonymousreply 1311/12/2012

Even the giraffe looks eager to leave.

by Anonymousreply 1411/12/2012

Isn't it named after a face cream?

by Anonymousreply 1511/12/2012

Yeah, it pretty much sux. Another Texan wishing u the best.

by Anonymousreply 1611/12/2012

OP, it's only a week.

go see movies.

by Anonymousreply 1711/12/2012

You might find a good steak. That's about it.

by Anonymousreply 1811/12/2012

Thanks, Texans (note that I'm not at all bashing the state).

I figure if I survived two nights in Fort Stockton, I can do this.

by Anonymousreply 1911/12/2012

There's always high school football.

by Anonymousreply 2011/12/2012

If you like candy -

by Anonymousreply 2111/12/2012

I too am a Texan (Austin native) and I spent the most miserable 2 days of my life when I was working as a field service engineer for an electronics company a few years back. My job was to go to Abilene Christian College and repair some equipment. Even the students were ugly and in-bred looking (And I do like Cowboys). If at all possible, avoid going to that inbred shit hole!

by Anonymousreply 2211/12/2012

When I was a kid, I had the unfortunate experience of having to go there for a school competition. Given that there was nothing of tourist or educational interest, our minders took us to the mall. Apparently that was the most interesting and educational place in town.

by Anonymousreply 2311/15/2012

There's truly not much to do there for more than a day or so. It's only an hour and a half drive to Fort Worth. Make the drive at least one day if you can simply to get away from Abilene. There's plenty to keep you occupied in the Fort Worth/Dallas area.

by Anonymousreply 2411/15/2012

If you get desperate OP, Fort Worth is about a 3 hour drive away. At least there are interesting museums in Fort Worth.

by Anonymousreply 2511/15/2012

Hey R25 said, go to Fort Worth. I had a BF that took me there one time when we went to visit his parents (He grew up in Ft. Worth). We went to some really hot gay bars; lots of cowboy drag types. Yeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwww

by Anonymousreply 2611/17/2012

good museums in Ft. Worth.

this looks promising if you're into that sort of thing: National Center for Children's Illustrated Literature 102 Cedar - Abilene, Texas 7960

by Anonymousreply 2711/17/2012

Abilene is tragic, OP. It's like Western New York - soulless and dreary. It is one of the few places in Texas that has no redeeming value whatsoever - escape to Austin, Houston, or even San Antonio if you can.

It's so bad that there's even an amusing paradox named after it.

by Anonymousreply 2811/17/2012

Typical of Abilene:

by Anonymousreply 2911/17/2012

There's nothing to do in Abilene except get the hell out. If you're stuck there, go to Fort Worth (2.5 hrs away) or Dallas (3 hrs away) on weekends to save your sanity. It's an easy drive from there to civilization.

by Anonymousreply 3011/18/2012

Am I missing something here? OP is there for a week not a lifetime. So there isn't much to do, so what? It's a week.

by Anonymousreply 3111/18/2012

I loved that song

Abilene, oh Abilene, I feel your sea winds blowin'....

by Anonymousreply 3211/18/2012

Do what the locals do, sample the young Air Force men from Dyess.

by Anonymousreply 3311/18/2012

Why can't you get away from the local humans and stroll around a park or nature preserve in your free time?

by Anonymousreply 3411/18/2012

R34, do they have such things in Abilene?

by Anonymousreply 3511/18/2012

Check the internet for some cruising sites. I guarantee you'll find some hot, horny, very closeted, and very enjoyable men.

by Anonymousreply 3611/18/2012

Abiline is the birthplace of that much-loved jack-off cream and there's a museum downtown dedicated to the masturbatory arts.

by Anonymousreply 3711/18/2012

Many posts are from people who have never been there. There's plenty to do there and Abilene has a very vibrant gay community.

by Anonymousreply 3811/18/2012

r29's link is a window onto another world. Don't miss the customer photos!

Wikipedia says that Abilene has "one of the five highest [buildings] in the western two-thirds of the state", so the city has got that going for it!

by Anonymousreply 3911/18/2012

[quote]Many posts are from people who have never been there. There's plenty to do there and Abilene has a very vibrant gay community.

r38, tell me where I can find some of them! I'm only going to be there for a few days, but would rather get out and see what there is to do rather than stay in my room and catch up on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 4011/18/2012

The Real Estate Agent hath arrived.

by Anonymousreply 4111/18/2012

spend all your free time recruiting homosexuals

bring a camera and be a photojournalist for a week

convince yourself there is an unsolved crime and go play detective

hide gay agendas in little notes all over town

by Anonymousreply 4211/18/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!