Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Mega-Blast Flattens Houses in Indy Suburb

This is why we can't have nice things!

by Anonymousreply 3812/22/2012

Meth lab exploded?

by Anonymousreply 111/11/2012

Probably an old fashioned gas leak. Natural gas is an inherently dangerous thing to have around.

by Anonymousreply 211/11/2012

Romney supporter spontaneous combustion.

by Anonymousreply 311/11/2012

What is it with Indiana and gas explosions? This has happened before in Gary and Highland.

by Anonymousreply 411/11/2012

WW for R3. :)

by Anonymousreply 511/11/2012

"Elmer, I TOLD you not to eat that third burrito!"

by Anonymousreply 611/11/2012

The weird thing is, nobody reported any smell of gas in the area.

Would a meth lab explosion be that huge? The blast rattled windows 3 miles away.

by Anonymousreply 711/11/2012

Right-wing bomb maker?

by Anonymousreply 811/11/2012

Possible explanation in this comment:

[quote]They're saying one of the homes was for sale. One blew up a couple weeks ago when thieves stole the gas appliances and left the gas line leaking. It was also empty and for sale.

Wouldn't a meth lab smell an awful lot?

by Anonymousreply 911/11/2012

This happened not too far from my brownstone in Boerum Hill, Brooklyn not long after I moved here. It was a gas explosion and, although the gas people deny it, most people believe it was caused by people jack hammering across the street from the house that exploded. It took two other buildings with it and other buildings suffered damage. I believe three people died in that one.

by Anonymousreply 1011/11/2012

Not anymore than a gas leak, r9. And meth labs are usually smaller so they can be moved around.

That's fucking crazy to steal appliances and leave the gas on!

by Anonymousreply 1111/11/2012

Why would anyone buy natural gas when they know this can happen? A few years ago there was a natural gas explosion in California which made a huge crater in the ground. I think people were warned and got out before it exploded.

by Anonymousreply 1211/11/2012

I don't know why the gas is left on in an uninhabited house? In case prospective buyers want to test the stove?

by Anonymousreply 1311/11/2012

You wouldn't need to do that until the inspection, r13.

If it's a foreclosure, you'd think the bank would have the gas turned off since they know houses are being stripped of copper and appliances.

by Anonymousreply 1411/11/2012

Sad -- one of the dead was a beloved elementary school teacher. I hope she never knew what hit her...

by Anonymousreply 1511/13/2012

Not a gas leak.

That would have been an awfully large meth lab.

Any theories?

by Anonymousreply 1611/13/2012

So, according to the cops, not a meth lab, not a gas leak, not a bomb...

by Anonymousreply 1711/13/2012

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering, r17.

What else could it have been? Medical supplies? (Oxygen, peroxide?) Gasoline?

Whatever it was, there was enough of it to create a blast that was felt three miles away. It wasn't just 2 or 3 gallons of gas.

by Anonymousreply 1811/13/2012

The cat knocked over a bag of flour.

by Anonymousreply 1911/13/2012

I'm no detective, but here are the facts reported by WTHR yesterday: 1. Domestic disturbance followed by restraining order in February; 2. Acrimonious divorce in March; 3. Short sale on house initiated in March, later cancelled and house purchased by ex-wife; 4. Boyfriend moves in with ex-wife and daughter. Ex-husband claims to have received text from daughter regarding furnace prior to weekend. Ex-wife says she doesn't know where ex-husband is "getting his stories." Rushes through interview. I would say this was a major homicide.

by Anonymousreply 2011/13/2012

The people who owned the house where the furnace blew up weren't home at the time.

The teacher was in the basement of her home next door and died instantly.

by Anonymousreply 2111/13/2012

So the teacher and her husband who lived next door died. Was the allegedly targetted home uninhabited or were the people lucky to be away at the time?

by Anonymousreply 2211/13/2012

Who was the intended victim, r20? (That's a very plausible scenario, BTW! Thanks for proposing it!)

Nobody seemed to be home at the time and a teacher *next door* was killed.

I wonder what was used - the cops say it wasn't a bomb.

by Anonymousreply 2311/13/2012

With the family conveniently away for the weekend that the house exploded, with even the cat boarded, it seems like more than coincidence. If someone deliberately let gas fill the house in order to let it catch fire they probably didn't think it would cause such a blast.

by Anonymousreply 2411/13/2012

Who boards a cat for the weekend? I have three indoor cats and I don't board them when I go away for a few days

by Anonymousreply 2511/13/2012

Update: It's being investigated as....Homicide!

by Anonymousreply 2611/20/2012

We know from the election that Indiana is filled with scumbags.

by Anonymousreply 2711/20/2012

Insurance scam gone wrong....details will come out now.

Police and ATF waited until after the funeral of the teacher and her husband to make the announcement.

Most surprising thing about a house exploding in Indiana was that it WASN'T a trailer!

by Anonymousreply 2811/20/2012

Christ, so many families lost their homes. How horrible:

Demolition ordered for 29 homes in deadly Indianapolis explosion

RICK CALLAHAN | Associated Press INDIANAPOLIS – Demolitions have been ordered for more than two dozen homes in a blast-ravaged Indianapolis neighborhood where a house explosion that killed two people is being investigated as a homicide case, officials said Wednesday.

The 29 homes slated for razing amounts to nearly a quarter of the 125 houses in the subdivision where the Nov. 10 explosion destroyed five homes and damaged dozens more, leaving some on the brink of collapse. No arrests have been made in the blast, which investigators believe was intentionally set and caused by natural gas.

Marion County Prosecutor Terry Curry said search warrants are being executed and interviews are being conducted, though he declined to say who had been interviewed or what investigators have found. He and other authorities announced Monday that the case was now being treated as a criminal homicide investigation.

“As we learn information and learn the identities of individuals who might or might not have information, we’re pursuing every lead along that line,” Curry said Wednesday.

Indianapolis’ code enforcement department said Wednesday that it had issued demolition orders for 29 heavily damaged homes in Richmond Hill, a subdivision on Indianapolis’ south side. Four other homes, including two that were leveled in the blast, are being maintained for now as part of the crime scene.

Owners of 17 of the 29 homes under demolition orders have until Dec. 20 to consult with an engineer to determine whether their home can be saved, said Adam Collins, deputy director of the city’s code enforcement department. He said some of the subdivision’s homes are so badly damaged, they are in danger of eventual collapse.

“With all of these homes, we believe they should come down because they pose a safety risk,” he said. “We believe they’re not repairable.”

The four houses at the crime scene include the home where investigators believe the explosion occurred and the house next door, where the couple killed in the blast – John and Jennifer Longworth – had lived.

The owners of the house believed to be the blast site weren’t home at the time of the explosion.

City arson investigators, along with agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, have concluded that the late-night blast was not an accident.

Total damage has been estimated at $4.4 million, and federal authorities are offering a $10,000 reward for information in the case.

Investigators have focused on appliances in their search for a cause.

Curry said investigators are continuing to “narrow down the precise mechanics of the explosion.”

“The belief at this time is that it was an intentional act, but other than that, I can’t discuss how investigators might or might not think that occurred,” Curry said.

by Anonymousreply 2911/22/2012

The plot thickens!

It should be pretty easy to find the people that lived at the house next to the teacher. It looks like the perps got the hell out of town when they realized how much damage the "accident" had caused.

Shit! Twenty-nine houses. And right around the holidays.

by Anonymousreply 3011/22/2012

The homeowner and her boyfriend did come back to Indy and are the prime suspects. Investigators are saying gas was released into the home and, apparently, ignited from a remote destination.

Law enforcement officials told The Indianapolis Star on Tuesday that they suspect gas was intentionally released into a Richmond Hill home before a spark caused it to explode, setting off the chain of blasts in the Southeastside subdivision that killed two people.

Authorities said the fumes seeped from a manipulated pipe or stove and gathered within the house at 8349 Fieldfare Way, until a small spark ignited it.

“The place was full of gas,” a source close to the investigation told The Star, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

A second law enforcement source told The Star that remote detonation is the leading theory now of how the Nov. 10 blast occurred, but more investigation is needed before they can be sure.

Neither source would say what evidence led them in that direction.

The law enforcement sources would not say whether authorities had zeroed in on a particular suspect but said the person had at least a rudimentary understanding of how to cause explosions.

The developments were revealed on a day when rumors and speculation swirled, leading to erroneous reports in other media outlets that arrests had been made or that people had been formally taken into custody for questioning.

Marion County Prosecutor Terry Curry, Indianapolis Division of Homeland Security Chief Gary Coons and Indianapolis police Capt. Craig Converse all confirmed that no arrests had been made.

Converse said investigators are interviewing lots of people and running down tips being supplied through Crime Stoppers and other sources. Another high-ranking law enforcement source told The Star that two people were questioned Tuesday by police in connection with the explosion, but neither was arrested.

One of the people questioned, the source said, agreed to answer questions. The other spoke to police after they served him with an “evidentiary” warrant. The warrants are usually used to obtain fingerprints or other personal evidence.

In addition, police served one standard search warrant to obtain property. Police declined to identify the people who were questioned or the property that was the subject of the warrant.

by Anonymousreply 3111/22/2012

They better hope their home computer was destroyed in the blast. cyber trail.....

by Anonymousreply 3211/22/2012

Poor teacher and her husband...

by Anonymousreply 3311/22/2012

[quote]They better hope their home computer was destroyed in the blast. cyber trail.....

Would they actually need the computer or could their ISP give details of seaches during a particular time frame?

by Anonymousreply 3411/22/2012

The family was arrested!

by Anonymousreply 3512/21/2012

Was just going to post that, R35. They really don't make a set of criminals dumber than this. I feel sorry for her daughter.

by Anonymousreply 3612/21/2012

They tried and failed once last year. So this year they turned the gas on at the fireplace and left the house, with a canister of gas in the microwave on a timer. The house filled with gas for 6-9 hours and then the gas canister in the microwave blew, setting off the gas in the house. They had upped their insurance on the house to $310,000 last year, far more than the house was worth.

Of course they had done no calculations about how much gas was needed or what exactly would happen.

by Anonymousreply 3712/22/2012

Copper thieves

by Anonymousreply 3812/22/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!