Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Did you Cry When Obama Won ?

Yeah yeah , I know what a bunch of sissies , but immediately ohio was called tears just started . We came so close to have the little rights we have now rolled back . At least know gay teens all over american and world can find solace in the fact that the most powerful man on earth doesn't think they are less than equal because of who they are

by Anonymousreply 9006/28/2014

Typo correction *America* not american

by Anonymousreply 111/11/2012

No, because I kept calm and trusted Nate Silver.

by Anonymousreply 211/11/2012

Yes, and I had a big smile on my face.

by Anonymousreply 311/11/2012

Big sigh of relief

by Anonymousreply 411/11/2012

I had to go to bed ca. 11:30 EST, when things were still a bit chaotic but seemed decisive for Obama. Had I stayed up for the denouement, I would have bawled my eyes out, I know.

by Anonymousreply 511/11/2012

I gnashed my teeth and tore out my hair!

by Anonymousreply 611/11/2012

I saw that Obama was ahead in Colorado and knew he'd win it from the locations of the votes reported, and realized he would win regardless of what happened in Ohio, Florida or Virginia, which hadn't been called. I had a quiet feeling of relief, and told my partner, and we went to bed.

After a couple hours I woke up, checked the returns and saw how Ohio and Virginia had gone over. And then I choked up.

For all the sadness, frustration and anger I feel and have felt as an American citizen, I am an American. I am proud of the country's foundational order and, ultimately, I feel united with my countrymen. With this reelection, as with many other events in my life, I felt that the better spirit we share lifted us. Not that I believe that people who voted for Romney are evil or unAmerican; that's what separates us from many of them. But in this case what is better for all of us came through.

And, beyond this, I trust and respect Mr. Obama more firmly than I have any other president in my lifetime. I believe he has had a reality-based world-view, a sense of the need to hear all sides, a commitment to a long-term strategy, a determination to fulfill good policy, and a grounding of humility towards his work that has set him apart from his predecessors.

Kennedy announced a Real-Politik change. Johnson set the country on a path to fairness internally while foundering in foreign affairs. NIxon (who I loathed as a person and politician) continued it. All three suffered the consequences of their hubris and personal flaws. Ford made his choice to end political upheaval at the cost of his election. Carter failed because his capacity and personality failed to match his vision. Reagan was a disaster; the Wizard of Oz as president set a terrible model but in his own mind he adhered to the three or four core beliefs he held. Bush I was a functionary whose personal arrogance kept him detached from the people. Clinton was brilliant and right on policy but could not separate himself from the game and his appetites showed a hollowness that could never be filled. Bush II was a fool and a usurper whose familial arrogance played out in ways that dangerously hurt the country.

And on the other hand there is Obama. I hope his second term allows his patience to be rewarded, because this country needs it.

by Anonymousreply 711/11/2012

Am in the West Coast. Only when I saw Ohio being announced did I start to tear up. Felt like this was the happiest day of 2012!

They tried to suppress our votes but this was a victory for the people who have been kicked around too long!!

by Anonymousreply 811/11/2012

I was a nervous nelly throughout the early evening as Obama trailing in electorial votes. When all the networks declared him the winner, I was exhausted from my own nervousness. Yes, I cried, cried for a better, kinder and gentler America.

by Anonymousreply 911/11/2012

yes. i knew we would win (thanks nate!) but was still scared they would cheats and rig the votes in ohio.

during his speech when he included us i cried much, much, harder though. *that* was a watershed moment- the first president to embrace and support us, and even get reelected because of it!

by Anonymousreply 1011/11/2012

Yes. Not as much as I cried in 2008, but there were definite tears of joy and relief.

in 2006, when Claire McCaskill won her first Senate race and assured that control would flip, my husband and I cheered. We did it again Tuesday.

I cried when Elizabeth Warren won.

I bawled like a baby when it was clear marriage equality had won in ME and MD.

by Anonymousreply 1111/11/2012

Still cry every time I think of all the folks who stood in line for hours, in he cold, even after states had been called, to make it clear that they were Not going to have their votes suppressed.

by Anonymousreply 1211/11/2012

I didn't cry, but I did feel a huge sense of relief and happiness.

by Anonymousreply 1311/11/2012

I teared up when he walked on stage with his family at McCormick Place in Chicago. I thought "His daughters are so grown!" and then the waterworkds started, partly because I knew that seeing a happy, black family in the white house makes tons of freepers angry.

by Anonymousreply 1411/11/2012

The Barack Obama Facebook page put up a picture of the President and Michelle hugging with the caption "Four More Years" about as soon as the election was called, and that turned me into a blubbering moron.

by Anonymousreply 1511/11/2012

Yes, I did cry. At the relief of the win of a fair, decent man over the threat of a craven, venal liar. And at the triumph of the better part of America over the lesser instincts of the supporters of that liar.

by Anonymousreply 1611/11/2012

No, I did not cry. Relieved as hell. Thankful as all get out. Hopeful for our country, my faith cautiously restored. (It was dashed in 2004 when I thought America was OVER.) I think I was just too tired and emotionally wrung out to cry.

by Anonymousreply 1811/11/2012

I cried tears of joy watching Romney concede.

Tear of utter fucking ecstatic schadenfreude, alternated with me flipping the middle finger at the TV and yelling "WHERE'S YOUR GOD NOW, ROMNEY?"

by Anonymousreply 1911/11/2012

I didn't cry, but I was thrilled. And not just because of what it means for the gay community.

by Anonymousreply 2011/11/2012

Yes, and Mitt and I will be crying all the way to the bank in the Cayman Islands where we have our big kitty hidden.

by Anonymousreply 2111/11/2012

I also cried because my pussy stank SO badly.

by Anonymousreply 2211/11/2012

Apologize, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 2311/11/2012

I did cry a couple of times he was giving his acceptance speech.

He was on fire that night and I was relieved but also so proud that he is our President.

by Anonymousreply 2411/11/2012

Fixed it for you, R23. The majority of white women voted for Romney (56% Romney, 42% Obama).

by Anonymousreply 2511/11/2012

I did. The world will thankfully never know what a terrible bullet it dodged that day.

by Anonymousreply 2611/11/2012

42% of white women is still pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 2711/11/2012

Another cry-baby in the house. How happy I was.

by Anonymousreply 2811/11/2012

I didn't cry. I was actually pretty toasted when I saw the announcement. I kind of went on a rant against what a pos Romney had been during the campaign and then just sat glued to the tv watching the Obama's and Biden's.

I still feel totally elated over his win.

by Anonymousreply 2911/11/2012

R17, Over the past four years the stock market is up by 2/3rds. I think I'll take that record over four days of trading.

by Anonymousreply 3011/11/2012

It was single women.

New research reveals Barack Obama owes his re-election victory to the unmarried women who turned out in their millions to vote for him.

Nearly a quarter of the voters in Tuesday's election were unmarried women – and Obama captured more than two-thirds of their votes.

by Anonymousreply 3211/11/2012

I cried with relief, but the desire to move to Canada is still strong with me.

by Anonymousreply 3311/11/2012

I giggled and then googled Ted Nugent to see if he was dead or in jail yet.

We're waiting Nuge.

by Anonymousreply 3411/11/2012

"And not just because of what it means for the gay community"

by Anonymousreply 3611/11/2012

Yes, multiple times. Love this guy!

by Anonymousreply 3811/11/2012

Me, too. And when I saw that video of the President thanking the staff,when HE teared up.

by Anonymousreply 3911/11/2012

John Kerry received a greater percentage of the popular vote (48.3%) than Mitt Romney (47.9%)

by Anonymousreply 4011/11/2012

No, because I knew that the fix was in.

At least this time I'm happier with this fix.

by Anonymousreply 4211/12/2012

R41, your halitosis is as disgusting as your homophobia. Thrilled to see you gnashing your gray teeth in Pee Tardy land!

by Anonymousreply 4311/12/2012

I'm worried now, while I voted on social issues, I sorta think OK, now what;s the use in equal rights when I'm living outta a dumpster.

Obama has a disastrous track record when it comes to the economy, he was one of the leading supports of the CRA, which was a major reason behind the whole economic downturn in the first place.

I am sorta worried, hopefully unduly.

by Anonymousreply 4511/12/2012

Didn't cry. Whopped for joy, though.

Still deeply satisfied. And very proud of this country (most of it, anyway).

by Anonymousreply 4611/12/2012

Yes and then again when they showed the celebration on Maine for Marriage Equailty and then in Maryland...Happy tears all of them.

by Anonymousreply 4711/12/2012

nice to see that I wasnt the only mess

by Anonymousreply 4811/12/2012

[quote]You're an idiot. So what if Obama supports gay? He can't get you jobs. You are gonna have a great time the next four years with a rotten economy.

Haven't you heard "moocher"? Government doesn't create jobs, businesses and the top 1% do!

by Anonymousreply 4911/12/2012

I'm STILL crying.

by Anonymousreply 5011/12/2012

I think I was just smilling and feeling happy, I believe I cried the first time he was elected.

by Anonymousreply 5111/12/2012

If you're worried about jobs, then you should start emailing your House Rep. THOSE are the fuckers who have blocked EVERYTHING. The Prez was actually trying to get a budget and stimulus going but the fucking Rethugs in the House keep saying no. Like they always do.

Instead of bashing on the Prez, r41, maybe you should be bashing on the idiots in the House FIRST. THEY are the ones blocking any jobs bills.

by Anonymousreply 5211/12/2012

We don't care what r41 says, 52.

His shit is broken and he just doesn't know it yet.

He'll be committing suicide soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 5311/12/2012

My House Rep (Carolyn Maloney, D-NY) was re-elected, as was my hot Senator, Kirstin Gillibramd (D-NY)

by Anonymousreply 5411/12/2012

Cry? Heck no, I cheered with the rest of the crowd I was watching the election returns with.

by Anonymousreply 5511/12/2012

I'm a guy and I didn't cry ... until I saw that Tammy Duckworth beat Joe Walsh, and did so by 10 points.

Her victory - along with those of Tammy Baldwin and Elizabeth Warren - kept me smiling all night.

by Anonymousreply 5611/12/2012

Yes, I cried with pure joy and exiliration.

Not joking.

by Anonymousreply 5711/12/2012

You're welcome!

by Anonymousreply 6011/13/2012

[quote]Obama has a disastrous track record when it comes to the economy

Actually, this is not true, as Obama's record is better than his predecessor's, for example. We've seen the creation of nearly vie million new private sector jobs since the economy hit bottom. We've seen the economy go from hemorrhaging jobs, in total free-fall,to turning around to creating jobs again. We've seen a slow but steady recovery, albeit one that's blocked time and time again by the intransigence of congressional Republicans. Had they acted as they have in previous recessions, the unemployment rate would be almost a full percentage point lower and we'd have roughly 1.7 million additional jobs. We've seen a stimulus package that created or saved roughly 3 million jobs.

So tell me again about this "disastrous" track record of Obama's, won't you? The worst you can say about Obama is that he underestimated the severity of the downturn, which is true: he did. The worst you can say about his opponent is that he wanted to return us to policies that led to the economic meltdown in the first place. I know which one I'd pick.

[quote]he was one of the leading supports of the CRA, which was a major reason behind the whole economic downturn in the first place

Utter nonsense. The Community Reinvestment Act had absolutely nothing to do with the economic meltdown. Firstly, nothing in the CRA requires that banks write bad loans. Nothing. Secondly, roughly 75% of the loans that were at the heart of the foreclosure crisis were from institutions that weren't covered by the CRA. Thirdly, the real problem with the meltdown wasn't the foreclosure crisis, it was the financial instruments built on top of those bad loans, where each loan was leveraged as much as 40 to 1. A $200 billion foreclosure issue is damaging and is clearly a problem. An $8 trillion loss from those bad financial instruments? That's a fucking crisis and it has nothing to do with the CRA.

Next time, please educate yourself before you vote and before you post here.

by Anonymousreply 6111/13/2012

[quote]You're an idiot.

Oh, the irony....

[quote]So what if Obama supports gay?

Supports gay what? Oh, and to quite a few of us, fundamental civil rights are, in fact, important. It doesn't matter in this case, of course, since Obama is clearly better on all issues, not just on social issues.

[quote]He can't get you jobs.

Five million private sector jobs and counting, better than Bush did in 8 years. Did you have a point to make?

[quote]You are gonna have a great time the next four years with a rotten economy.

Actually, had you been paying attention, you might have noticed that the economy is slowly recovering.

[quote]I would rather NOT be able to go in the army and NOT be able to get married AND have a GOOD job than this shit will get with Obama.

Fortunately, you don't have to make that choice, as you can get all of the above. I will simply note that you did not even list, and cannot defend, Romney's economic policies.

[quote]He's no friend of yours.

Well, no, not personally. He's just a decent President, certainly far better than his opponent would have been.

[quote]I can't wait for you 'mos who all think Obama is giving you UHC to find out you'll have to pay for your AIDS meds anyway. Well except for the 90% of 'mos who have HIV and are on SS anyway.

Thank you so much for confirming that you're an ignorant bigot. It always makes our lives easier to know that we can laugh at your ignorance without pitying you.

by Anonymousreply 6211/13/2012

Oh, and back on topic, no, I didn't cry. I did let out one hell of a yell, though, and a deep, deep sigh of relief. And whooped and hollered again when I realized that the Senate candidates were doing so well and that we'd actually increase the lead there.

I still had to do some nailbiting while waiting for the results of the Washington same-sex marriage referendum, though.

by Anonymousreply 6311/13/2012

I yelled, laughed, clapped and teared up a little. Nothing compared to the mess I was in 2008 but this election was important.

Despite the overt racist attacks and the seemingly inexhaustible supply of dog whistles during this election, the President won a decisive victory with a clear mandate for his policies.

Once could be brushed aside by fuckwitted Republican bigots as a fluke. Twice? That's a PRESIDENT.

Barack Obama, two-term President of the United States. Looks good.

by Anonymousreply 6411/13/2012

Why hasn't the 'mos troll been banned?

by Anonymousreply 6511/13/2012

I cried in 2008 and exhaled and unclenched this year. I did get teary eyed over Elizabeth Warren's win. And I got verklempt when I saw the President thanking his team and getting teared up.

by Anonymousreply 6611/13/2012

I'm crying now, as we go into another recession. But of course, it's always someone else's fault.

by Anonymousreply 6711/14/2012

I cried when Sasha told her father to acknowlege the people behind him and the family all turned around and waved. I wonder how all those creepy neo-cons and Teabaggers could look at that and still think he's the Devil. I think there is no better example of "family values" than the Obama family.

by Anonymousreply 6811/14/2012

I bawled like a baby when the Ohio returns started coming in. When it was all over, my mom called and we cried on the phone together. We were one hot, happy mess.

by Anonymousreply 6911/14/2012

>>The stock market has shown how they feel about 4 more years of Obama.

Have you been living under a rock?

by Anonymousreply 7011/14/2012

I sighed with relief. Finally, Obama doesn't have to live in the shadow of Bush anymore. He's now free to blame himself for the previous four years of failure.

by Anonymousreply 7111/14/2012

Au contraire, r71. 49% of Americans still think that George W is to blame for our economic woes. Choke on those sour grapes, Freeper.

by Anonymousreply 7211/14/2012

Yes I did! I was so happy to see him win.

by Anonymousreply 7311/14/2012

Is it embarrassing now to see this thread?

by Anonymousreply 7406/27/2014

by Anonymousreply 7506/27/2014

by Anonymousreply 7606/27/2014

F&F the freaking cunts and pasters

by Anonymousreply 7706/27/2014

Nope. Didn't vote for him. People assume I did though, which is annoying.

by Anonymousreply 7806/27/2014

No, but I felt incredibly proud.

by Anonymousreply 7906/27/2014

[quote] r44, they're called spinsters.

by Anonymousreply 8006/28/2014

I was so happy! I cried.

Imagine the republicans having the presidency? Yikes! Thank god for Obama.

by Anonymousreply 8106/28/2014

Of course not. Learn to be clear-eyed op.

I was immediately appalled by Michelle's dress.

Then on a more substantive level, I was bored by Obama's flat speech.

Finally I was annoyed he shelved the already-planned fireworks display.

by Anonymousreply 8306/28/2014

Yes, both times.

by Anonymousreply 8406/28/2014

Pathetic ... Crying at a miserable failed president

by Anonymousreply 8506/28/2014

R44 and R80

I call them consumers and groupies. Some could be seen crying in the front row reaching to shake his hand. Some fainted at the glory of his presence. A rock star was created and extremely well promoted by supremely adept promoters. It was iconic!

by Anonymousreply 8606/28/2014

Cry all you want -- still no jobs and a nearly 3% contraction in this quarter's economy.

by Anonymousreply 8706/28/2014

I cried for the fate of the United States.

by Anonymousreply 8806/28/2014

by Anonymousreply 8906/28/2014

I cried in 2008. In 2012 I knew that if anything positive was to come in America these next four years, it would have to come from us, not him.

by Anonymousreply 9006/28/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!