Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Regional Generalizations Thread

My Yankee parents, lifelong New Englanders, eat ice cream even during the winter. Whenever I tell people from other areas that our ice cream parlors are busy even in January, they look at me like I'm nuts.

You?

by Anonymousreply 2211/11/2012

Are you just blurting this information to random strangers? Otherwise, I see no reason for anyone to be surprised.

by Anonymousreply 111/11/2012

Fascinating. So glad we're finally addressing this.

by Anonymousreply 211/11/2012

Guys really do piss on the street in front of everyone.

by Anonymousreply 311/11/2012

As one African-American said to me, "I will never understand how white people can eat ice cream even in the middle of winter."

by Anonymousreply 411/11/2012

As one white person said to us," I don't understand why blacks don't eat ice cream in the winter."

by Anonymousreply 511/11/2012

I love ice cream all year round, just like I love coffee all year round. I don't sit outside consuming either of these, usually, and since I have heat in winter and AC in summer I really don't see the issue.

People are weird.

by Anonymousreply 611/11/2012

Do other DLers like Devil-On-Horsebacks?

by Anonymousreply 711/11/2012

I know. It's almost like asking why people warm up their food in the summer.

by Anonymousreply 811/11/2012

Everyone eats ice cream year-round.

People also drink coffee when it's hot out. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 911/11/2012

WTF is with HOTdogs in the summer?

by Anonymousreply 1011/11/2012

Everyone in Tennessee is an anti-gay, racist, pickup truck driving, Republican Country Music fan.

by Anonymousreply 1111/11/2012

Why don't people drink coffee through a straw? It might stain their teeth less.

by Anonymousreply 1211/11/2012

Texans really will barbecue anything: chicken, shrimp, crabs, cabrito.

by Anonymousreply 1311/11/2012

Some of the worst generalizations are about Texans.

Before you ask: No, I'm not a Texan.

by Anonymousreply 1411/11/2012

Ice cream is a popular treat in Siberia, even in winter.

by Anonymousreply 1511/11/2012

But R14, don't you also find that Texans deserve such stereotypes more than others: that they, in fact, try to live up to them?

by Anonymousreply 1611/11/2012

Growing up in St. Louis a person would have been considered insane to barbecue in the fall or winter or early spring. It was one thing to buy BBQ from the Veterans on South Broadway or from any number of BBQ shacks or street smokers on the North Side, but to do it yourself would have been thought radical.

One reason may have been that if the weather was nice enough to stand out in it to cook it was nice enough to hang your wash out, and with relatively little time to do it, pork steak smoke in the sheets would have made a neighbor unpopular.

For that matter, pork steaks in St. Louis remain The Thing.

by Anonymousreply 1711/11/2012

I heard a stat some years ago, that MN is the ice-cream capital of USA, they consume the most.

So weather has nothing to do with it, it's the sweet tooth

by Anonymousreply 1811/11/2012

Are you saying not everybody in St. L loves prov-el pizza and toasted ravioli R18?

by Anonymousreply 1911/11/2012

In my hometown in WI there is a frozen custard drive-in that's been around since the 50's, and it's often filled 2 deep with cars even in the middle of winter.

by Anonymousreply 2011/11/2012

You're probably right, R16. Many of them seem to enjoy their Ugly American reputation (that makes normal Texans cringe).

by Anonymousreply 2111/11/2012

R19, I'm saying they're not reheating their Imo's or their toasted ravioli on the grill in winter. Nor their St. Paul sandwiches, brain sandwiches, Gus' pretzels, Ted Drewe's custard, gooey butter cake, Hodak's and Porter's chicken, buffalo fish or pig-snoots-with-hot-sauce, all of which remain St. Louis treats.

by Anonymousreply 2211/11/2012
Need more help? Click Here.