Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Frank Rich hits the bullseye again.

Mitt Romney is already slithering into the mists of history, or at least La Jolla, gone and soon to be forgotten. A weightless figure unloved and distrusted by even his own supporters, he was always destined, win or lose, to be a transitory front man for a radical-right GOP intent on barreling full-speed down the Randian path laid out by its true 2012 standard-bearer, Paul Ryan. But as was said of another unsuccessful salesman who worked the New England territory, attention must be paid to Mitt as the door slams behind him in the aftermath of Barack Obama’s brilliant victory. Though Romney has no political heirs in his own party or elsewhere, he does leave behind a cultural legacy of sorts. He raised Truthiness to a level of chutzpah beyond Stephen Colbert’s fertile imagination, and on the grandest scale. That a presidential hopeful so cavalierly mendacious could get so close to the White House, winning some 48 percent of the popular vote, is no small accomplishment. The American weakness that Romney both apotheosized and exploited in achieving this feat—our post-fact syndrome where anyone on the public stage can make up anything and usually get away with it—won’t disappear with him. A slicker liar could have won, and still might.

by Anonymousreply 1711/11/2012

Great column.

Sadly, truth has become just another commodity that can take whatever form a particular group's marketing team wishes it to take.

by Anonymousreply 111/11/2012

What of it, r2?

by Anonymousreply 311/11/2012

by Anonymousreply 411/11/2012

Is R2 an asshole?

by Anonymousreply 511/11/2012

How could he support a president who said he wanted to raise taxes for the Rich?

by Anonymousreply 611/11/2012

And the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary goes to Frank Rich.

by Anonymousreply 711/11/2012

As usual Frak Rich hits it. Watching Mrs. Carville on that video making a fool of herself once again exemplifies the fantasy based thinking of her party.

Discrediting the intelligent and accurate Silver because he is gay shows the inability of any critical thinking of that party.

Forget those pesky should have seen all the Romney lawn signs in Florida! The truth is right in front of us.

That's right, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 811/11/2012

It is disturbing that someone so unliked got that many votes. We can't rest on our laurels and pretend that the Repug party is finished. They just need a better candidate.

by Anonymousreply 911/11/2012

Matalin is a big racist also. Back in 1996 she predicted a Dole Victory because weather reports for large parts of the country called for rain. In her words that meant the Republicans would still vote but "a lot the Democratic voting base" won't. I heard it with my own ears and have never listened or watched her skanky ass since. She is vile and disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 1011/11/2012

He also believes in free love r2, and is probably a commie.

by Anonymousreply 1111/11/2012

Frank Rich is America's best writer.

by Anonymousreply 1211/11/2012

i love r11

by Anonymousreply 1311/11/2012

OP, someone beat you to the punch. (And why are there so many multiple threads on the same topic here?)

by Anonymousreply 1411/11/2012

OP wants Frank's hot man flesh inside his mussy.

by Anonymousreply 1511/11/2012

F&F R2. Enough of this shit.

Rich does it better than anyone.

by Anonymousreply 1611/11/2012

I didn't realize Matalin had called President Obama "a political narcissistic sociopath." Not only is that completely inappropriate, it is a perfect description of her guy Mitt.

I'm glad he is writing about all these lies and dirty tricks from the republicans and Mitt's campaign. The whole idea that they could just make things up and get away with it is outrageous. I'm one of those who thinks that Ohio may have gone the other way if the auto companies hadn't put out ads saying the repubs were lying and gave their employees the day off to vote.

by Anonymousreply 1711/11/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!