Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why was Barbra late to support AIDS?

?

by Anonymousreply 3011/13/2012

Because they wouldn't photograph her left side.

by Anonymousreply 111/12/2012

AIDS was doing pretty well without her support.

by Anonymousreply 211/12/2012

R2 made me laugh out loud.

by Anonymousreply 311/12/2012

Did people go without care or die because of her untimley support?

by Anonymousreply 411/12/2012

Still r2, she could've intentionally contracted AIDS, and then gone on a whore spree sleeping with any willing guy in sight. If she'd tried harder, she could've pitched in and supported AIDS, if she cared that is.

by Anonymousreply 511/12/2012

Is it true her son, Jason, is positive? And what about her bringing "The Normal Heart" to the big screen?

by Anonymousreply 611/12/2012

I think The Normal Heart is being brought to screen, but Barbra no longer owns the rights to it and won't have any involvement. I don't think anyone knows if Jason is positive, I've heard it might just be a rumor started by Babs' many right-wing enemies.

by Anonymousreply 711/12/2012

And Larry Kramer R7.

NORMAL HEART is not being made by Barbra, but by someone else. I can't remember, but it's a low grade talent. Don't expect much. Streisand would have done it justice. But Kramer wants someone he can steamroll over. Streisand wouldn't put up with the ego gratification.

As for AIDS, she did donate proceeds to the SOMEWHERE single to AIDS charities. That was in 1985. She did respond to people who said she wasn't doing enough for the cause in the early nineties, simply stating that it was just their opinion.

by Anonymousreply 811/12/2012

But again why is this important either way? Isn't it her choice ? Why do you feel so entitled OP?

by Anonymousreply 911/12/2012

At Barbra's L.A. concert this weekend, she did a duet with son Jason. She said that when Jason was a little boy, they used to sing all the songs from Funny Girl and Hello Dolly together. Jason deadpanned, "Well, that explains a lot, doesn't it?" Barbra was momentarily shocked, and then started laughing, as did the whole audience. Barbra then asked him, "Did you sing My Man, too?" Jason giggled and said, "I sure did!"

by Anonymousreply 1011/12/2012

Is Babs forgetting that Jason's all time fav singer was Donna Summer? And that Babs did the duet with her only because of Jay?

by Anonymousreply 1111/12/2012

When George Bush I was President she took him to task for not responding to the HIV crisis in the late 80s. I remember that response she gave "that's their opinion" which is to say they had no idea how she or her Foundation gave to HIV groups. Point is she had given substantial $ early. She gives lots of money to organizations that do not always make the press you know and has since the 1960.

by Anonymousreply 1211/12/2012

It's my impresson that she opposes AIDS, and always has.

by Anonymousreply 1311/12/2012

Let's see, "Gay Icon + passive aggressive remark implying she has failed her fans or doesn't care about them"

Gosh, I WONDER who could have started such a thread and what was their intention?

Hmmmm.

by Anonymousreply 1411/12/2012

[r8] I am not a super fan of Julia Roberts but I doubt she can be steam rolled. I am sure Alec Baldwin can stand up to Larry. I look forward to seeing Mark Ruffalo, Matt Bomer and Jim Parsons. Ryan Murphy seems like a good choice for director. Of course Producer Brad Pitt can be steam rolled all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 1611/12/2012

Barbra gives tons of money to charity anonymously, as is the Jewish tradition. Her response wasn't just 'that's their opinion'. She said "I have given tons of money' without anyone ever knowing about it. This very subject was discussed in Vanity Fair article about her in the early nineties I believe it was.

by Anonymousreply 1711/12/2012

Perhaps r11, Donna sang My Man too, on her Live & More album, and slyly acknowledged her gay fans with it "this something I think you ladies will identify with... and maybe some of you men too." Pretty daring for a mainstream pop star in 1978.

by Anonymousreply 1811/13/2012

[quote]Barbra gives tons of money to charity anonymously, as is the Jewish tradition.

please she's always bragging about her charitable donations...see her recent Katie Couric interview....

by Anonymousreply 1911/13/2012

Let's see, "Gay Icon + passive aggressive remark implying she has failed her fans or doesn't care about them"

Gosh, I WONDER who could have started such a thread and what was their intention?

Hmmmm.

by Anonymousreply 2011/13/2012

She had sub-conscious hostility towards Jason for turning out gay. His gayness made her feel insecure about her choice to put her career before motherhood.

by Anonymousreply 2111/13/2012

Don't forget everything Bette Midler has done for AIDS charities and the gay marriage movement!

Oh wait...

by Anonymousreply 2311/13/2012

La Streisand has given TONS of money over the years to HIV/AIDS, heart research, women's health, Jewish organizations, environmental causes and certainly to her beloved Democrats. The truth is she gives away MUCH more than people know, and certainly, to whomever said watch her interview on Katie, Barbra does SO FEW interviews so it's not exactly like she's out there self-promoting like a freaking Kardashian.

And this from Music-Cares, when she was Person of the Year in 2011: Barbra’s Streisand Foundation has given millions of dollars through 2,100 grants to nonprofit organizations and she has raised many millions more through her performances. Streisand supports an impressive range of causes from AIDS organizations to nonprofits that work on issues of women’s equality, the protection of both human rights and civil rights, the needs of children at risk in society, the preservation of the environment, Jewish/Arab relations, and relations between African-Americans and Jews.

by Anonymousreply 2411/13/2012

but I spend most of my money at the mall I have in my basement!!!

by Anonymousreply 2511/13/2012

Do the shops in Barbra's mall have cashiers....or can you just take whatever you want?

by Anonymousreply 2611/13/2012

For the benefit of R23

by Anonymousreply 2711/13/2012

wow r27: she was in fantastic voice!

by Anonymousreply 2811/13/2012

Barbra said:

We must find a cure to end this disease that's 100% preventable....

Wait a minute, did I read that right? AIDS is 100% preventable and these dumb gays still keep getting it?

by Anonymousreply 2911/13/2012
Need more help? Click Here.