Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What percent of nuns do you think are lesbians?

by Anonymousreply 6711/13/2012

by Anonymousreply 111/11/2012

100% lick some pussy

by Anonymousreply 211/11/2012

by Anonymousreply 311/11/2012

Whatever it is, it's dropped dramaticaly over the last century or two.

by Anonymousreply 411/11/2012

Much smaller percentage than the percentage of gay priests.

by Anonymousreply 511/11/2012

Are there any nuns left. Do young women still join the convent? I have no idea how many were actual lesbians but I bet it wasn't as much as people like to joke about; sort of like women's colleges.

by Anonymousreply 611/11/2012

by Anonymousreply 811/11/2012

Not as many as I'd like.

by Anonymousreply 911/11/2012

Nuns need each other...

by Anonymousreply 1011/11/2012

No idea, but my guess is nuns honored their vow of chastiy to a far greater degree than priests.

by Anonymousreply 1111/11/2012

All. All percent.

by Anonymousreply 1311/11/2012

I have nun friends, Sisters of Carondolet. They fairly progressive, don't wear habit. Worked side by side with them at work, they had regular jobs they were sent to college for. 3 of them shared the same house. When they were away I took care of their dob. I doubt there are any more lesbians among them and in the normal population.I don't think the convent is where most lesbians want to be in spite of the appeal of being with and having access to women.

by Anonymousreply 1411/11/2012

Well, they must be menatlly ill for giving up a potentially happy and normal life under the hope that something is there after they die.

by Anonymousreply 1511/11/2012

Mentally ill? The nuns I've known are among the sanest, most grounded people I've ever met -- and they find happiness and fulfillment in helping others. Not because they expect a reward after death, but because it's the right thing to do. I have no use for the male power structure of the Catholic church -- talk about mentally ill -- but nuns are awesome.

by Anonymousreply 1611/11/2012

r7, did you remember the one who tied a hand to the bed post and the other under her body to prevent masturbating?

by Anonymousreply 1711/11/2012

The life of most orders is not what it used to be. They are the absolutely only thing I respect about the evil RCC. I have know a few daffy wing nuts but most are delightful fun people. Respecting them came easy to me and I am an atheist since age 3

by Anonymousreply 1811/11/2012

I'm a Jew, all the nuns I have met, and I have met many, were lovely, lovely people. There should be a female pope.

by Anonymousreply 1911/11/2012

[quote]I don't think the convent is where most lesbians want to be in spite of the appeal of being with and having access to women.

I don't think the idea is they would join to meet woman, it is to get away from having to have sex with men (pressure to get married, etc.). Same idea with gay priests.

by Anonymousreply 2011/11/2012

Before most of you were born when I was a child. My brother and sister and I were often babysat by a high school girl. My brother and I had a hooligan reputation and many girls would not babysit for us. My mother resorted to a high school boy to corral us. When he left for college our babysitter was Marliyn. She had a spike of colored hair near the front, sometimes green and sometimes red. We could not figure out how she did that.

While we were in the bath tub she would sit by the tub smoking cigarettes. We loved her. She was forbidden to take us off the farm. One evening we could see a huge fire in town and of course we all jumped into her car and headed the 2 miles to town.

One day I came home from school and my mother was in tears having just heard that Marilyn was joining the convent. This was the rigid old day, hideous isolation and habits. My mother cried for years at what in her perception was a beautiful young woman throwing her life away.

A few years later we got a call that Marilyn was coming for a visit and wanted us to come and visit. Marilyn was no longer Marilyn and was accompanied by a senior nun. No other way could they travel except in pairs.

Here sat two nuns in mufti. I did not recognize her. Coffee and cookies were served and we started to reminisce. Soon the group dissolved into gales of laughter as this pair of penguins told the funniest frank stories about how they lived and the things they did. I don't recall having more fun as a child than that. My family did not like Catholics at all and I was at first wary of the meeting. My mother could never understand a woman becoming a nun but was relieved to know that Marilyn was still the same girl and life went on for her.

by Anonymousreply 2111/11/2012

R21, the question still remains, was Marilyn a lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 2211/11/2012

My weighing in on this question, not being Catholic, a woman, or a lesbian, would be akin to white men weighing in on reproductive rights.

by Anonymousreply 2311/11/2012

Some of them were pretty awful teachers.

by Anonymousreply 2411/11/2012

Ma sister, Rose, has threatened to "take the veil," we hope it won't happen.

by Anonymousreply 2511/11/2012

When I was in Catholic grammar school, we thought they became Sisters because boyfriends dumped them.

by Anonymousreply 2611/11/2012

by Anonymousreply 2711/11/2012

Join the Peace Corp, become a teacher but to give up life's pleasures is ridiculous and accomplishes nothing.

by Anonymousreply 2811/11/2012

All of them, Katie.

by Anonymousreply 2911/11/2012

Nice story, R21.

by Anonymousreply 3011/11/2012

Get dressed like a nun,enter a nunnery and you'll surely stop wondering about that!

by Anonymousreply 3111/11/2012

I rest my case.

by Anonymousreply 3211/11/2012

"I don't think the idea is they would join to meet woman, it is to get away from having to have sex with men (pressure to get married, etc.). "

That was true of much of the Catholic church's history; if a woman didn't want to enter into a very unequal marriage with a man, her only options were to live with relatives and be trated like a slave, or to become a nun.

That started changing in the 19th century, when education and middle-class jobs started becoming available to women, and changed completely during the 20th. Nowadays, the only reason a woman would become a nun is religious fervor.

by Anonymousreply 3311/11/2012

All of them, except Sally Field, Marge, and Jan Brady.

by Anonymousreply 3411/12/2012

P 21,

Do you mind if I ask your approximate age and the area of the country you're from--midwest, south, etc?

by Anonymousreply 3511/12/2012

Seriously, no one considers spirituality as a reason for becoming a nun (or a priest)?

Do you also believe that each and every Tibetan monk is a closeted gay man, who escaped to a temple to avoid marrying a chick? Or is the assumption that all nun/priests are 'mo's perhaps a little anti-Christian backlash?

by Anonymousreply 3611/12/2012

R35 rural Iowa, 60

by Anonymousreply 3711/12/2012

"Do you also believe that each and every Tibetan monk is a closeted gay man, who escaped to a temple to avoid marrying a chick?"

I once saw a travel documentary about India, which showed a Hindu monestary where the monks honored the Gods through music and dance. The monks all seemed as gay as a flock of geese carrying baskets of kittens in their beaks, and for the filmed ritual dance most of them dressed as girls and fluttered around.

So while I don't assume that every monk of every religion is gay, I certainly don't assume they're straight.

by Anonymousreply 3811/12/2012

I would say that the happy ones are. I remember an Irish nun named sister Eileen who was far too bitter and mean to ever have gotten laid by a woman or a man. Her students would have been so much better off if she had been bumping some cat. The priest in that same parish, Peter, on the other hand, was happy as hell having a torrid affair with a good friend of mine.

As a Catholic, I am a little upset with Peter for breaking his vows, and now I tend to think, when the priest, any priest, is holding up the host and transforming the bread into the body of Christ, 'Where have those dirty hands been?'

by Anonymousreply 3911/12/2012

I've had friends who were Religious Brothers, that is, non-ordained guys who lived in a religious community, often alongside priests. One was openly gay, the other was straight. Both estimated that the percentage of gay priests was much higher than in the "normal" population, about 35%.

I've known about half a dozen nuns in my life, and those I've asked seemed to think the percentage of lesbian nuns was about 10%, though they felt the percentage of lesbians in the rest of the world was probably closer to 7% than the oft-referenced 10%.

My perception is that nuns tend to respect their vow of chastity far better than priests and brothers, but both my friends were completely faithful to their vows (or said they were, and I believed them).

by Anonymousreply 4011/12/2012

Oh please enough of those ridiculous percentages, especially among nuns. Please.

People throw those numbers, 6%, 10% in the air about lesbians when the reality is women hide it much better than gay men. People have no idea.

To quote my best lesbian friend: I know straight women exist, I just have yet to meet one.

by Anonymousreply 4111/12/2012

A lesbian, even if she's walking like a truck driver and sounds like one only has to apply a bit of mascara and lipstick to be assumed straight. The general population and especially men have no idea how many we are. No idea.

by Anonymousreply 4211/12/2012

Most of the younger nuns (under 50) I see now are from India, Philippines and Central America.

by Anonymousreply 4311/12/2012

Well the one I married is a lesbian!

We went back to a reunion of her convent, and there were definitely some women still in the order who were lesbians; and their "oblates" tended to be out gay people, because they were still considered lay people (HA!)

We were heartily welcomed, though some of the older nuns thought I was my wife's "daughter."

by Anonymousreply 4411/12/2012

I wrote about this some time back on another thread. I did eight years in a Catholic school run by nuns. By the time I was old enough to be aware of such things, it was pretty clear to me and my classmates that some of the sisters were lesbians. It wasn't hard to pick them out. They were tough broads, walked with a swagger and live, breathed, ate and slept Notre Dame football. More than a few of them were heavy drinkers. My estimate as to how many of them were gay was around 10%, in other words, no more or no less than the general population. Of course these was the ones that were obviously gay. Its possible there were more who would fell under the category of "lipstick lesbians".

One last thing about nuns. They are the ones who do the work priests couldn't be bothered doing: feeding the hungry, caring for the sick, taking in the homeless and battered women. In other words, doing the things Jesus would hope one would do in his name.

by Anonymousreply 4511/12/2012

@R39: "Bumping the cat" has just become my favorite new expression

by Anonymousreply 4611/12/2012

Holy caneface!

by Anonymousreply 4711/12/2012

R47 i want to fuck your bum.

by Anonymousreply 4811/12/2012

All I know is that in my family 50% of the nuns are lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 4911/12/2012

R49 what are you baby?

by Anonymousreply 5011/12/2012

Anyone recall a community of religious brothers in Washington, DC founded as a ministry to People With AIDS and does it still exist?

by Anonymousreply 5111/12/2012

R48 reminds me of DL's old Bobby Blake troll:

"I'd pee up his bum" signed Bobby Blake

by Anonymousreply 5211/12/2012

Agnes of God!

by Anonymousreply 5311/12/2012

R52, i'm just bored. All the rooms are dead and i'm not interesting in fucking politics or Prozak right now.

by Anonymousreply 5411/12/2012

I'm a female in the military, and I'd say at minimum 25% of the women are 100% lesbian. Can't imagine nuns would be different, considering they are even more isolated to same sex situations.

by Anonymousreply 5511/12/2012

R55, hey girl, you fuck each other in military? Nice broads there?

by Anonymousreply 5611/12/2012

R48, then go the the baths. If we were in the same city I'd say we split the cost of a cubicle.

Seriously, not judging. I trolldarred you and some of your posts are hilarious. Come to think of it, I'm going to trolldar them again and click W&W on each one

by Anonymousreply 5711/12/2012

R57 i want some love from you baby, troll me if you have to...

by Anonymousreply 5811/12/2012

W&W for you R48, consider it a tongue in your nasty hole.

by Anonymousreply 5911/12/2012

They can't be Lesbians, they are married to God!

by Anonymousreply 6011/12/2012

R59? Why you think i have a nasty hole? I can be nice when i'm not bored and disappointed by this forum. So you want to lick me or you want to fuck me? First of all, usually, you fuck or you get fucked? One must know...

by Anonymousreply 6111/12/2012

Sister Mary Jo teaches shop at Queen of Virgins.

by Anonymousreply 6211/12/2012

r60 reminded me of a joke ending with "send the bill to my brother-in-law."

by Anonymousreply 6311/12/2012

R56, Yes. Yes we do. They aren't all nice, but there are hardly any fat ones.

by Anonymousreply 6411/12/2012

The question isn't how many do you think are lesbians, but how many do you think keep their vow of chastity?

Also, btw, there is a difference nuns and sisters. Nuns are cloistered women who live in Monasteries- like monks. Kind of hard to be a an active lesbian in a cloistered Monastery.

Sisters are active religious women, like Sister Simone Campbell, who spoke at the DNC. I have worked with her and can assure she has kept her vows.

But really, it's kind of weird for this question to be bandied about again. How many of you are gay but not having sex for whatever reason? Your activity and relationship status doesn't make you more or less who you are.

by Anonymousreply 6511/13/2012

r65, thank you. I was waiting to see how long it would take for someone to educate DLers.

by Anonymousreply 6711/13/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!