Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Mist - I can't believe I watched this movie tonight

I am going to have nightmares.

I kept flipping channels back and forth but spotted 3 Walking Dead actors - Carol, Laurie, and Dale.

Thomas Jane is hot though.

by Anonymousreply 7611/22/2012

What did you think of the shock ending, OP?

by Anonymousreply 111/10/2012

r1 - that was depressing. Also I already have a bug phobia so this movie did me no favors. I kept flipping away when it got too gross and then would come back out of morbid curiousity. Just call me a glutton for punishment.

Frank Darabont must be buddies with the guy who plays Dale on The Walking Dead as I noticed he has been cast in a few of his movies.

by Anonymousreply 211/10/2012

I loved Marcia Gay Harden.

by Anonymousreply 311/10/2012

Agreed, R3. She's underrated by many, I think.

I loved this movie - it's dark and cynical, like me.

by Anonymousreply 411/10/2012

Darabont is buddies with him, r2. That relationship has mentioned once or twice in the Walking Dead threads.

by Anonymousreply 511/10/2012

The Dale guys is good actor, most directors reuse talented character actors.

by Anonymousreply 611/10/2012

Best ending ever.

by Anonymousreply 711/10/2012

It's worth getting the DVD so that you can see this movie in black-and-white. Much more powerful.

by Anonymousreply 811/10/2012

Andrea is in it, not Lori.

by Anonymousreply 911/10/2012

Darabont talks in the commentary about how he knew some people would hate the downer ending for the tone and for the fact it wasn't in the story.

by Anonymousreply 1011/10/2012

Stupid movie. Anyone who was scared by this film is braindead

by Anonymousreply 1111/10/2012

It's the type of story the Twilight Zone used to do in a half an hour with bad acting and crude 1960s effects.

by Anonymousreply 1211/10/2012

The use of "Host of Seraphim" as the background music during the final scene is devastating.

by Anonymousreply 1311/10/2012

Yes it's a throwback to unpretentious 60s monster movies r12, so what? That's why they included a B&W version on the bluray release, it's not like they were trying to hide its origins.

by Anonymousreply 1411/10/2012

Thomas Jane should have had some shirtless scenes.

by Anonymousreply 1511/10/2012

But he did r15, he pulls his shirt off in the grocery story fairly early in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 1611/10/2012

Thomas Jane was so HOT in this! I wanted to be wrapped in his muscular arms and V-shaped torso.

I saw this when it first came out and really loved it, especially the unexpected finale. I was just thinking this past week that the right/Republicans' melodramatic rants as of late reminded me of Marcia Gay Harden in this movie. That's what I found most scary. Giant bugs and monsters are make-believe, but batshit craziness in the name of religion is real and thus terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 1711/10/2012

aside from the last 5 minutes - which seemed to be tacked on from a much better movie - i thought it blew. the special effects were horrible, the writing was weak, and the acting totally hammy. the whole thing in general was very Syfy.

I read the story back in the day and thought it was awesome. It's what lead me to what became my very favorite writer - HP Lovecraft. So maybe I'm being a little bit sniffy and unforgiving.

I still think its a total cheeez fest though.

by Anonymousreply 1811/10/2012

"It's what lead me ..."

Whoops! meant "led"

by Anonymousreply 1911/10/2012

The story is just alright, R18. It's good that you could progress from the mediocre and routine idiocy of Stephen King to the genuine innovation of Lovecraft, though.

by Anonymousreply 2011/10/2012

I rented this because Frances Sternhagen is in it - I know - MARY!

by Anonymousreply 2111/10/2012

Marcia Gay Harden had a whole monologue that was cut, so if you want a really Margaret White-esque moment that should have stayed in be sure to check out the DVD - it's a great scene.

by Anonymousreply 2211/10/2012

"The story is just alright, [R18]."

oh, I stand corrected!

I, in fact, am a huge unabashed fan of Stephen King. And I thought The Mist was *quite* intense when I read it. Sure I was 12. But I've revisited it over the years and it still remains a favorite of mine.

by Anonymousreply 2311/10/2012

[quote] Yes it's a throwback to unpretentious 60s monster movies [R12], so what?

So Stephen King is a derivative hack who peddles recycled Cold War metaphorical paranoia to people who can't wait to read his next piece of crap.

by Anonymousreply 2411/10/2012

I love Marcia too but I wanted to jump through the screen and strangle her character.

by Anonymousreply 2511/11/2012

[quote]I love Marcia too but I wanted to jump through the screen and strangle her character.

Haha! I cheered when she got that can of peas chucked at her head.

by Anonymousreply 2611/11/2012

God so many pretentious assholes who can't stand it when people like something less than Philip Glass's latest opera.

As far as modern horror goes it's a lot better than 90% of the other stuff being produced. And Marcia Gay Harden was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 2711/11/2012

The book was much better, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 2811/11/2012

Good movie, and the ending is a shocker. I won't spoil it, but it will leave you speechless. If they had only waited!

by Anonymousreply 2911/11/2012

"The Mist" is my favorite King novella. The movie isn't as good, but I'm not even sure the story could be rendered on screen with an intensity even close to the original. I thought the movie was a valiant effort, and is probably my favorite of all the movies based on his work.

by Anonymousreply 3011/11/2012

I read the story back in the day and I got a little obsessed with it - trying to imagine monsters as tall as the clouds. When the movie came out, I was really stoked.

I thought it was really intense. Not so much the CGI, but the sense of doom and not knowing and fear in the supermarket. I thought the acting was great - the little boy was really natural. I was glad that they did show one of the giant walking insect things at the end - it was just how I'd imagined them. The ending was horrific (as in horribly sad).

by Anonymousreply 3111/11/2012

Does the DVD include the cut scenes of Helen Lawson and a chub of bologna in the supermarket deli?

by Anonymousreply 3211/11/2012

Loved this movie and love Stephen King. And for the record it was written in 1980 R24 during the cold war.

You don't have to like Stephen King and most of the movie versions of his books are pretty bad but the Mist is not one of them. There's no denying King is a talented and prolific writer.

by Anonymousreply 3311/11/2012

I agree with the others who say that Stephen King is a hack. If that makes me an elitist, so be it.

That being said, I think the movie captures something that the novella does not. Maybe the acting and the set design push it beyond the limitations of the source.

by Anonymousreply 3411/11/2012

One of the reasons I like the movie is I'm a huge fan of fog. I'll drive around for hours when we have dense fog, listening to my mp3s, it's especially otherworldly in the early predawn hours. King probably would've called it The Fog, if it hadn't already be the title of that John Carpenter movie.

by Anonymousreply 3511/11/2012

R35, I like you.

by Anonymousreply 3611/11/2012

The ending to the story is much more depressing and terrifying.

The movie's ending was solely for shock value, wasn't earned, and was just stupid.

by Anonymousreply 3711/11/2012

Love, love, love this movie. So happy to see it's gaining the following it deserved when it was released back in 2007. Very underrated.

by Anonymousreply 3811/11/2012

In the final scenes, they were all hopeless, so he does the trendy murder-suicide thing and shoots his son and all occupants of the vehicle, just as the as a convoy of tanks and soldiers roll in, extinguishing the giant cockroach aliens. He loses it and drops to his knees and screams to the heavens (just like a true Christian). If they had waited a few more minutes, they would all have made it alive. End scene.

by Anonymousreply 3911/11/2012

Love this movie but it's such a horrific mindfuck and such a powerful ending I can probably never watch it again.

Glad people are mentioning Marcia Gay Harden - she's brilliant in this role.

by Anonymousreply 4011/11/2012

I read the story one summer night at the Jersey shore, as fog was rolling in. I couldn't see the lagoon or dock from the house because of the fog. I was scared shitless.

by Anonymousreply 4111/11/2012

There should be a warning on this movie for people with depression issues.

I saw this with my teenage niece and we both walked out of the theater feeling miserable. We spent the rest of the night in a depressive funk, randomly saying things like "why did we watch this?".

It took much chocolate to erase that one.

by Anonymousreply 4211/11/2012

It just started airing on SyFy

by Anonymousreply 4311/11/2012

It's trying to get in through the loading dock door!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4511/11/2012

Also in the final scene they thought the sound of the approaching tanks was the a horde of monsters about to descend on them, and right at the very end he sees a truck carrying all the people they left back at the store come rolling past.

by Anonymousreply 4611/11/2012

I fuckin' hate spiders.

by Anonymousreply 4711/11/2012

Marcia Gay Harden was the shit in this film. Deserved an Oscar nom for Supporting Actress. Her and her minions were way scarier than any of the CGI extradimensional monsters.

by Anonymousreply 4811/11/2012

I saw The Mist in the theater and it's one of thoses movies that's great to see in that environment, because the entire audience was so into it. Everybody screamed and gasped in unison.

Those creatures gave me nightmares, especially those big spider things. Very scary.

by Anonymousreply 4911/11/2012

[quote]Marcia Gay Hardon... She's underrated by many, I think

Yeah, poor underrated Oscar and Tony Award winner Marcia.

by Anonymousreply 5011/11/2012

I am a 48 yr-old horror fan who finds himself disappointed time and time again by allegedly good horror movies, so I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked THE MIST. It was well-directed and acted, nicely gory, creepy and sometimes even scary. Loved the atmosphere of gloom and doom

by Anonymousreply 5111/11/2012

I thought the ending in the novella was more haunting: the fleeing survivors (there are only four of them) are continuing on their way, not knowing what lies ahead, not even knowing if the world as they knew it even exists anymore.

In the movie there is gratuitious violence that does nothing for the story. That poor army guy that they "sacrifice" to the monsters...no such thing happened in the novella and it was just unnecessary and dumb. However the brief sexual encounter that happens between David and Amanda was omitted in the movie. I guess the filmmakers thought the sex between the married man and a random woman would be unseemly but that extra graphic violence would be beneficial.

The monsters in the novella are scarier than in the movie. The tentacles that make off with Norm the bag boy are mysterious; they're all that's seen. There's no monster with tentacles seen in the novella, just the tentacles. Ollie tells David: "I just keep asking myself...all those tentacles...like a squid or something. David, what were they hooked to? WHAT WERE THOSE TENTACLES HOOKED TO?"

by Anonymousreply 5211/11/2012

It's gratifying that this film is gathering the same appreciation and following post-release as Darabont's masterpiece, The Shawshank Redemption.

by Anonymousreply 5311/11/2012

I thought it sucked that all of Marcia's "Christian Minions" lived at the end.

by Anonymousreply 5411/11/2012

Carol sure likes that short mannish haircut

by Anonymousreply 5511/14/2012

Are you just concocting posts, R50? In no post in this thread does it say "Marcia Gay Hardon... She's underrated by many, I think".

by Anonymousreply 5611/14/2012

"I thought it sucked that all of Marcia's "Christian Minions" lived at the end."

David and the others ended up in an area where the mist was evaporated by the army, presumably. I held on to the belief that where the Christian crazies were was beyond all hope. And if the mist was removed, then what happened to all the beasties that were roaming around in it? The ending made it seem like once the mist was gone, all the monsters that came out of it miraculously disappeared, poof, just like that. It was a dumb ending.

by Anonymousreply 5711/14/2012

r55, she would look better with more hair. I thought she chose that style for low maintenance for her character on Walking Dead but she must think it looks good.

by Anonymousreply 5811/14/2012

[quote] Are you just concocting posts, [R50]? In no post in this thread does it say "Marcia Gay Hardon... She's underrated by many, I

I'm not R50, but you need to check out R4.

by Anonymousreply 5911/14/2012

Oh, simply hysterical, R32!

by Anonymousreply 6011/14/2012

Yeah in the novella the mist went on and on since what occured was the literal merging of two dimensions caused by Project Arrowhead,the monsters weren't beaten back or defeated.

by Anonymousreply 6111/15/2012

At the very end of the novella I believe the car radio picks up a transmission from Hartford, CT, I think.

Damn, I'm going to have to re-read this, it's been a decade or more.

by Anonymousreply 6211/15/2012

At the end of the novella the survivors (only four, I think. It's been a while since I've read it) heard a garbled message on the radio that said "Hartford" and headed out for there, assuming it was safe.

by Anonymousreply 6311/15/2012

Bad acting. HORRIBLE cgi. Thomas Jane does look delicious though.

by Anonymousreply 6411/15/2012

"At the very end of the novella I believe the car radio picks up a transmission from Hartford, CT, I think."

Yes, while trying a radio David (he's the only one listening) picks up what he thinks is one word: Hartford. It may be just his imagination, but he holds on to the belief that maybe there is a place they can get to that's safe. That's how they story ends; David, Mrs. Carmody (a tough old lady), his son and Amanda are on a journey to Hartford. They've found shelter in a hotel and the car needs gas and David thinks he can siphon some up: "but it means being outside." The situation seems pretty damn hopeless.

In the movie I liked that part where the old guy vanquishes some of the creatures and sneers; "fuckers!" I don't know who the actor was that played the old guy but he was quite good.

by Anonymousreply 6511/16/2012

No one said "Marcia Gay Hardon", R59.

by Anonymousreply 6611/16/2012

Correction: in the novella it's Mrs. Reppler who gets away with David and Amanda and the little boy. Mrs. Carmody is the crazy woman who tries to convince the people in the market that the only way to survive the monsters is a "blood sacrifice." Incidentally, the Mrs. Carmody in the novella is an old woman, NOT a Christian, very witch-like, who runs a junk shop in town filled with a variety of strange things. This Mrs. Carmody is not a Christian crazy; she's something of an occultist, very demonic in appearance and manner.

by Anonymousreply 6711/16/2012

With all the end of day shows on they should do a good remake of 'The Stand' which is my favorite King book.

by Anonymousreply 6811/21/2012

It's better that they made her a Christian in the movie, R67. It's more likely that the Christian would start sacrificing people... The Wiccans I've met are generally harmless.

by Anonymousreply 6911/21/2012

R68 there's a new stand movie in the works for 2013. I don't know how they're going to squeeze that whole huge book down to a single 2-hour movie though. Supposedly Ben Affleck will direct.

by Anonymousreply 7011/21/2012

The scene in the pharmacy is the worst for me and my arachnophobia.

The ending of the novel doesn't sound like a happy ending either. In the movie the people in the supermarket survive, don't they? Is there some big moment in the book where the supermarket is overrun by the creatures or something?

by Anonymousreply 7111/21/2012

You know what `Mist` means in German?

by Anonymousreply 7211/21/2012

It means dung or manure in German and and in some regions it's also a 'gosh darnit/damn!' expression for an unpleasant surprise.

by Anonymousreply 7311/21/2012

R71, we never find out, but you get the impression as the lead character drives away that they aren't going to survive very long.

by Anonymousreply 7411/21/2012

Somebody would seriously have nightmares because of this movie? The spiders are like big Halloween decorations and the biggest insect looked like a metal robot on a green screen -- straight out of 1970s Star Wars.

by Anonymousreply 7511/21/2012

I know the insects were fake looking but it still creeped me out because I have always been a bit scared of bugs.

by Anonymousreply 7611/22/2012
Need more help? Click Here.