Since 1995

Angela Merkel

How is she on gay rights?

by Anonymousreply 11007/30/2014

She thinks the homos are fabulous

by Anonymousreply 111/10/2012

Sieg Homo, Mary!

by Anonymousreply 211/10/2012

Poor. I remember an op-ed by her arguing against gay adoption.

by Anonymousreply 311/10/2012

My pussy drips for her

by Anonymousreply 411/10/2012

Despite being an unfuckable lardass (Silvio Berlusconi) she remains a staunch defender of personal freedoms. She does desperately need fashion advice however!

by Anonymousreply 511/10/2012

Angela Merkel is the most powerful anti-gay leader currently in the Europe,

Angela Merkel just went on a campaign promoting her Evangelical Christians faith, talking about how God rules her life. She is also a Physicist, a physicist who just turned down her science education, in favor of the sky fairies worshipers.

If this doesn't tell you what Merkel is made up of or what!

No wonder she rejects gay equality. Germany has a long history of anti-gay politicians going right back to Paragraph 175. It still lingers on today.

by Anonymousreply 611/11/2012

She seems far better than our right-wing party though.

by Anonymousreply 711/11/2012

The EU leaders of England, France, Spain, Belgium, Netherlands, Sweden and Denmark all support full gay equality.

The fact the leader of Germany doesn't and adding Germanys past of rounding up Gays and murdering them in Concentrations camps like Sorbitor, Dachau and Birkenau, makes Markels continued rejection of Gay Germans, with full equal rights, a FAR MORE serious moral crime.

Imagine if Germany still refused to give German Jews full equal rights.

by Anonymousreply 811/11/2012

Americas right wing party never got voted into power though R7. The British BNP is anti-gay too, but they don't have any power.

The current US President does support full Gay equality, the current German Chancellor does not. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 1011/11/2012

There are several states in the USA who have Gay marriage.

There are no states in Germany which have Gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 1111/11/2012

R10 The BNP at best has about 3000 members. They are also on the decline as is the EDL. They will never have any effective power thank goodness.

by Anonymousreply 1211/11/2012

""Despite being an unfuckable lardass (Silvio Berlusconi) she remains a staunch defender of personal freedoms."

Oh, geez. BERLUSCONI is the unfuckable lardass. The NERVE!

by Anonymousreply 1311/11/2012

Frau Merkel has given us very strict serving instructions: Two Frankfurter sausages may never touch on her plate and they absolutely should not be placed anywhere near the Kartoffelpuffer cakes.

by Anonymousreply 1411/11/2012

I'm sure the ex-Nazi Pope Ratzinger has a hand in keeping Gays second class citizens in Germany too.

by Anonymousreply 1511/11/2012

Jesus is Angela Merkels constant companion.

by Anonymousreply 1611/11/2012

Only personal freedoms of the Vatican R5.

by Anonymousreply 1711/12/2012

Angela Merkel is an enemy to the gay community, much like Michelle Bachmann in the USA. Why the heck Germany elected such an anti-gay leader is another question.

by Anonymousreply 1812/14/2012

I think Germany in general is probably one of the better countries to live in and not being harassed or even bothered when living an openly gay life. If you are gay you are better of living in Germany than in the US, for sure. The general opinion in the majority of the population is pretty much pro gay marriage all the way. Legal partnerships have been allowed since 2001, but not with the same rights and obligations like hereo couples. Merkel is a conservative politician but not a religious crazy one.

by Anonymousreply 1912/16/2012

Better compared to Saudi Arabia....yeah. But Compared to the rest of Northern Europe and Spain, Germany is extremely anti-gay.

Merkel is a Scientist who just publicly declared Jesus was her constant companion. If that doesn't define crazy, I don't know what does.

What really hangs Germany is its past history of rounding up Gay Germans and murdering them en mass in concentration camps, because those feelings still exist today.

Germany should have been the world leader in Gay equality because of this, yet it is still spewing the Nazi inspired hatred towards Gays from the highest level.

by Anonymousreply 2012/16/2012

I lived in Germany for more than 10 years and didn't see what you R20 are describing. Gays and Lesbians kiss and being affectionate with each other openly in open places in broad daylight - nobody cares. I worked very close to a public building where you could get married and same sex couples were getting married there quite often. Merkel is at odds with what the public opinion is on gay/lesbian issues. I wouldn't vote for her but she is not a crazy nutter as Romney or Palin or other right wing weirdos in the US (which got almost half of the votes in the last two elections BTW). I cant remember of hate crimes that are being reported in the US ever happened in Germany.

by Anonymousreply 2112/16/2012

"same sex couples were getting married there quite often"

Why do you lie R21? Do you think people won't notice?

Same Sex marriage is illegal in Germany and you damn well know that. Gays don't even have basic tax equality in Germany.

by Anonymousreply 2212/16/2012

R22 Same sex marriage is not illegal in Germany - by law it is not considered the same as in heterosexual marriages, that's true (tax, adoption and other things are still considered differently with same sex couples) but gays and lesbians get "married' since 2001 by the same person and by the same institution who marries hetero couples. By law you are considered husband and husband or wife and wife.

by Anonymousreply 2312/17/2012

by Anonymousreply 2412/17/2012

R23 why are you spinning propaganda? It this a German thing? Do Germans not understand the difference?

If you call a cow and dog, that does not mean the cow is a dog. It just means you are a bit nuts.

by Anonymousreply 2512/18/2012

I am pretty sure I am not nuts, but I am not so sure you R25 are not ignorant. If you want to talk about gay and lesbian issues around the world be better informed. BTW, I don't really like Merkel but she didn't have a problem nominating a gay person as foreign affairs minister. He usually takes his "husband" along when he travels as foreign minister. I don't like this guy either because he supports anti social policies, but that's another story.

by Anonymousreply 2612/18/2012

Allowing gays to exist is not pro gay. Merkel actively votes down basic equality for gays. Obviously those gays in her party are even worse than Log Cabin Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 2701/19/2013

Angela Dorothea Merkel

by Anonymousreply 2804/07/2013

Germany is not a progressive modern country. Its advances in technology, make people think it is.

Einstein Neanderthals

by Anonymousreply 2904/07/2013

It's really funny when Americans try and comment on politics and society in other countries, especially for the countries that don't use English.

by Anonymousreply 3004/07/2013

As far as Germany and treatment of gays is concerned.... once a very bad mistake (1930-40s), twice.....a permanent part of the national character of Germans.

by Anonymousreply 3104/07/2013

Just that in Germany more gay couples are allowed to get legal partnerships and get married than in the US.

by Anonymousreply 3204/07/2013

Celebrating the second class status of Gays in Germany.

Did Germans encourage the Jews celebrate their second class status in the 1930s too?

by Anonymousreply 3304/07/2013

Germany is like New Mexico - more potentially progressive on gay rights than many European countries (and American state), but not a trailbrazer by any means.

by Anonymousreply 3404/07/2013

I thought Merkel was a lesbian. Is she not out?

by Anonymousreply 3504/07/2013

But New Mexico didn't round up gays and murder them in concentrations camps a few generations ago, so the pressure to make up for that history, is not the same comparison.

by Anonymousreply 3604/07/2013

I'm talking about right now, right now, R36. Frankly, most people don't even remember that gays were also placed in concentration camps.

by Anonymousreply 3704/07/2013

The US should be the number one country in the world pushing for gay marriage and, frankly, it's outrageous that president Obama has only been able to come out in favour of marriage equality in literally the past few months. Even then, he is not equivocal about this support and has never stated explicitly "I believe all Americans should be able to have full and equal marriage rights that are recognised throughout the nation and at federal level, also allowing the foreign spouses of gay Americans the right to settle here." After the racist anti-miscegnation marriage laws rife through many states of the US - even when President Obama was born in many states his parents would not have been able to marry - it is outrageous that the US continues to deny full marriage rights to all its citizens.

It's astonishing that even as recently as the 1960s American citizens were imprisoned in certain states simply for marrying - legally in another state - a person of another race. Given the US's history of slavery and racial discord and the repugnance of its anti-miscegnation laws it's astonishing that the United States Supreme Court is widely expected to allow the practice of letting individual states decide whether they can discriminate against their own citizens in such a way.

Oh, and if an American-German same-sex couple marries (although this marriage is only recognised in a handful of US states) in New York state then the German partner will not be able to reside in the US and create a home with their spouse. But, if that same American-German same-sex couple were to have a civil partnership in Germany, then the American partner is able to reside in Germany and create a home with their spouse.

by Anonymousreply 3804/07/2013

[quote]Why the heck Germany elected such an anti-gay leader is another question.

Well probably because gays aren't their top priority, but I'm just guessing.

by Anonymousreply 3904/07/2013

[quote]I thought Merkel was a lesbian.

She's been married - to a man - twice. However, as noted, her fashion sense could lead you to assume otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 4004/07/2013

NOBODY, has forgotten the Holocaust R37.

Although I can see how some people, like yourself, would want that.

by Anonymousreply 4104/07/2013

Thank you r38 for being the voice of reason. Germany is far mote progressive in many ways than the US, I can't believe anyone would think otherwise. It ain't 1945 anymore, people.

by Anonymousreply 4204/07/2013

Arguing that Germany is better than some places in the USA (Like Texas or Tennessee).... why not use the comparisons, Germany is better than Saudi Arabia and Iran too?

It is..... isn't it???

by Anonymousreply 4304/07/2013

R43, Germany is better for gays than most places in the United States, including those states which have same-sex marriage.

The truly ridiculous thing about the German-bashing Americans is that they mistakenly believe that gay people have more rights in the US than gays in Germany do.

by Anonymousreply 4404/07/2013

Gays in the USA do have more rights that Gays in Germany. Plus the US head of state. President Obama, is publicly, fully supportive of full equality in ALL US states.

Germanys Merkel actively vetos any attempts for even minor improvements in the second/third class rights Gay Germans have, never mind her total refusal to ever consider full equal rights.

If apologists like R44 are the only thing Germany has going for it today, I can see now why Germany has had such a terrible history on the treatment of its Gay citizens.

by Anonymousreply 4504/07/2013

Really. r45? Can you tell me a single better right that gays in the US have than gays in Germany? Because, I can't think of one. Go on, tell us.

And, when did Obama come round to his newfound belief that all US states should have gay marriage? Because during his first presidential election campaign he was saying bullshit like "I think marriage is only between a man and a woman because God is in the mix". He only "evolved" on the issue relatively recently.

And when did Merkel ever veto anything? You do realise she doesn't actually have the right to veto anything, don't you? And the thing you are referring to that her party voted against was the issue of same-sex couples filing joint taxes - which is a principle that does not even exist in the US.

And, fuck off about history. Anyone trying to claim that because Germany does not have gay marriage (yet it has almost all the rights attached to gay marriage, unlike the US) that means it's like the 1930s and 1940s can go and fuck right off.

You know, if you had a German partner and you wanted to live together in the same country, you could have a German civil partnership and you could move to Germany. But, your German partner would not be able to move to the US to live with you if you married each other in New York state.

by Anonymousreply 4604/07/2013

P.S. You do realise that Merkel is a conservative politician. When your main conservative political party (i.e. the Republicans) is as in support of gay rights as German conservatives are then you can crow about how so much more wonderful the US is.

by Anonymousreply 4704/07/2013

Merkel is the world's hero (heroine) standing up against the NWO and it's satanic agenda.

I love her.

by Anonymousreply 4804/07/2013

David Cameron, UK PM, is a Conservative and he publicly supports equal rights for gays. So does Dick Cheney and FoxNew's Glenn Beck. You can't get more conservative than that.

by Anonymousreply 4904/07/2013

Oy. Another thread full of halfwits who have never even left their home state spouting nonsense.

Germany is far more liberal than the general US and being politically conservative in Germany doesn't mean the same as being a Repug in the US.

You guys have no idea how good a life you could have in Germany.

by Anonymousreply 5004/07/2013

Second class status is second class status. One is not more progressive than the other. The German arrogance is vulgar on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 5104/07/2013

R49, wow, so you name three people who have all "evolved" from their previously anti-gay marriage positions, only one of whom is a politician. On the basis of which you are trying to claim that the position on gay marriage and gay rights of one of the two major parties in the US, the Republicans, is better than that of the CDU in Germany?

This is election year in Germany. Cameron has had huge trouble getting gay marriage through, Hollande too. Why would a conservative political leader, whose party is not fully at one on the issue (although there are many in favour) want to potentially create more problems at such a crucial time?

R51, why is second-class status fine in the US, which doesn't have full gay marriage throughout the land, but not in Germany? And, if second-class status means not having gay marriage then gays in 99.99% of the world have second-class status. In fact, some are in much worse situations and get put to death for being gay. But, clearly, in a world like that, Angela Merkel not swinging behind gay marriage is obviously the worst thing that can happen.

You know, gay marriage is a very important issue, but it's not the most fucking important issue and it's not the be all and end all of being gay. Just because it's the burning issue in the US at the moment, doesn't mean it has to be everywhere else. The US isn't the entirety of humanity, it's not like everything that is a hot button issue in the US has to be in Europe or anywhere else.

Nevertheless, Germany is significantly more likely to get full gay marriage for all its citizens before the US gets full gay marriage for all its citizens. And I am still waiting to hear exactly what the better rights that US gays have over German gays are. None of you Germanophobes can answer that!

The American arrogance is vulgar on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 5204/07/2013

Real-life situation of a German-American same-sex couple: it's not the German end of things that's causing problems for this couple but the American end.

by Anonymousreply 5304/07/2013

"You know, gay marriage is a very important issue, but it's not the most fucking important issue and it's not the be all and end all of being gay. Just because it's the burning issue in the US at the moment, doesn't mean it has to be everywhere else. The US isn't the entirety of humanity, it's not like everything that is a hot button issue in the US has to be in Europe or anywhere else."

by Anonymousreply 5404/07/2013

I think you need to separate general acceptance of LGBT people in society and LGBT rights. Is Germany a nice place to live for gays, are they visible, do they get harassed etc? I would say yes, they are visible. There have been many gay characters on tv. I'd also say that it seems like most Germans are genuinely accepting of gay people, and although I'm sure there's still some homophobia left, by my experience, it doesn't seem worse than in other places. Then you have LGBT rights, which doesn't necessarily mirror the positive attitudes of the people, which really is a shame. I definitely agree that with German history especially, they really should support LGBT rights. But I still think German Gays live happy lives, despite not having full equality.

Then you have my country. I'm from Norway, and I can tell you that I'd much rather live in Germany. Norway is a racist, homophobic and conservative shithole. Do we have equal rights? For the most part yes (even though we can't get married in church yet). Are we accepted in society though? HELL NO! Christians still consider gays sick, disgusting, unnatural etc. And trust me, the Christians still have a lot of power in this country, even our fairly liberal state church voted no to gay marriages. And don't even get me started on the muslims.

I do think some countries have both though.. I think Spain, The Netherlands, England and to an extent Sweden and Denmark, have high acceptance of LGBT people in society, and equal rights.

Just don't be so fast to label countries where gay marriage is legal as a sort of haven for LGBT people, because that simply isn't the case.

by Anonymousreply 5604/07/2013

[quote]Idiot at [R54], can you please name a right that gay people in the US have that gay people in Germany don't? Thanks!

Well, your right to bear arms is a lot different than ours.

by Anonymousreply 5904/07/2013

Helpful, R 58.

by Anonymousreply 6004/07/2013

It depends on the state, r57.

In some US states, gay couples can marry and adopt - two things which they can't do in Germany.

by Anonymousreply 6104/07/2013

Gays in Germany can adopt, r67. Moreover, civil unions in Germany grant more rights than marriages in the handful of US states that allow them do, immigration of your partner being one important right as well as your same-sex partner rights going with you whichever part of the country you live in.

I know everyone in the US is getting all excited because DOMA will probably be overturned. But, nowhere else - and certainly not Germany - ever had anything as stupid as DOMA to overturn in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 6204/07/2013

[quote]Gays in Germany can adopt

I meant joint adoption.

[quote]civil unions in Germany grant more rights than marriages in the handful of US states that allow them do

It's not about which rights are granted and which aren't, it's about whether there's legal equality or not. Which is there in New York, but not in Germany.

by Anonymousreply 6304/07/2013

"Germany is not a progressive modern country. Its advances in technology, make people think it is."

And yet, Germans get six weeks vacation, maternity/paternity leave, women get a small pension for the years they spent raising children, and they have a female head of state (the US never even had a female vice president).

by Anonymousreply 6404/07/2013

When people are talking about England here, are they actually talking about England or do they mean the United Kingdom? Because same sex marriage in Scotland has exactly the same rights and responsibilities in every way, including parental and tax issues, as heterosexual marriage but that isn't the case in England. The law isn't the same throughout all four countries that make up the UK.

by Anonymousreply 6504/07/2013

Germany is light years ahead of the US, however, that may be due to overcompensation from guilt.

by Anonymousreply 6604/07/2013

Not far off a bull-dyke.

by Anonymousreply 6704/07/2013

"Germany is light years ahead of the US, however, that may be due to overcompensation from guilt."

Not really. Germany was the leader in the sciences and arts before Hitler came into power.

by Anonymousreply 6804/07/2013

The most significant thing I've learned on this thread is that Glenn Beck now supports marriage equality?

by Anonymousreply 6904/07/2013

There is no legal equality in Germany - at all.

by Anonymousreply 7004/07/2013

The US is an interesting country but in social issues it is light years behind compared to most European countries.

I am pretty sure more people are anti gay marriage in the US than in Germany. Almost half of Americans voted for an extremely conservative politician in the last election.

by Anonymousreply 7104/07/2013

I want to move to Germany.

by Anonymousreply 7204/07/2013

You would think now that the Nazi Pope Ratzinger has been banished, Germans would back away from their anti-gay attitudes.

by Anonymousreply 7304/08/2013

R63, how much more "equal" are gays in the vast majority of the US, not just a handful of states, over gays in Germany? Seriously, your desire to bash Germany and arrogant belief that the US is the best place in the world are leading you to some tortuous logic.

Oh, and, again, a resident of New York cannot have their foreign same-sex partner come and live with them, whereas a citizen of Germany can.

On the whole, however, I'm rather more worried about the complete lack of rights for gay people in places like Iran, Uganda, etc.

by Anonymousreply 7404/08/2013

I think there are much more people having gay or lesbian relationships or g/l sex in the US than in Germany. Politics, gay marriage and laws are overrated. German mentality is pretty old-fashioned, intolerant, conformed and fun-free. And there are about 10 people of public life (meaning entertainers, politicians, media guys etc.) who admit that they are homosexual, three of them are black and one is Persian.

by Anonymousreply 7504/08/2013

Berlin is the only close to gay friendly city in all Germany. But it is Gay friendly circa New York in the 1970s. Very, very discrete and secretive, but the basements are alive.

There are more out Gay celebrities any major US city, than in the entire country of Germany today.....just so you know what the "climate" is like there.

by Anonymousreply 7604/08/2013

She and Putin got flashed today by protestor boobies. Putin looked like he enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 7704/08/2013

Merkels Party, the CDU, is being banned from attending Berlin Pride this year.

Seems like LGBT Germans are FINALLY waking up.

by Anonymousreply 7805/11/2013

To claim that the US is more progressive on gay rights than Germany is a joke.

That said, it is strange that no German state has attempted to legalize gay marriage. Or is that only in the jurisdiction of the federal government in Germany??

by Anonymousreply 7905/11/2013

The USA is much more progressive than Germany on LGBT equality. Times 10. The difference is the extremes that exist in the USA, which Germany does not have. Germany is less than LGBT friendly middle ground over all. The USA has both extreme poles of LGBT friendly ground/ anti-gay hatred.

by Anonymousreply 8005/11/2013

Has Merkel come our yet?

by Anonymousreply 8105/11/2013

r80 exaggerates a lot, but he has the gist of it right when he says

[quote]The difference is the extremes that exist in the USA, which Germany does not have

In Germany, there aren't many people who are actively anti-gay rights, but there aren't many people who are actively anti-homophobia either.

by Anonymousreply 8205/11/2013

r82, change comes with slow deliberation in Germany for many things. It's not because of a bigoted opposition. It's just typical of the political culture.

If you want to know what Germans actually think.... According to Wikipedia, the most recent poll showed 74% support same sex marriage with 23% opposed. Try to get those kind of numbers in the US.

by Anonymousreply 8305/11/2013

Fine as long as your country isn't in debt.

by Anonymousreply 8405/11/2013

r83 - what I meant is that there's more tolerance for casual homophobia in Germany than in the US.

Let me illustrate with an example: a few years ago, the German equivalent of Simon Cowell called a contestant on German Idol a faggot. There was no controversy over it at all. It wasn't even a story apart from in the gay media.

Now imagine the same thing happening on American Idol...

by Anonymousreply 8505/11/2013

rotten useless cunt

by Anonymousreply 8605/11/2013

Germans on TV called a gay person f*aggot and nobody really cared.....yeah....this does not surprise me at all. Germans have a bit of a history treating Gay people like this....

by Anonymousreply 8705/11/2013

Why is the NSA spying on our alleged allies?

by Anonymousreply 8805/29/2014

Yes you are.

by Anonymousreply 8905/29/2014

She is an evil cunt.

by Anonymousreply 9005/29/2014

"BERLIN, Germany — Reeling from revelations that a neo-Nazi cell allegedly robbed banks and murdered immigrants with impunity for more than a decade, the authorities have been at pains to show they’re acting against extremism.

Leading the effort is a drive to ban the far-right National Democratic Party, which is alleged to have neo-Nazi links.

All 16 German states filed a motion in the federal constitutional court to ban the NPD in December, arguing that it propagates racism and aims to overthrow the democratic government. But the court's dismissal of a similar case in 2003 suggests the going won't be easy, especially when neither Angela Merkel's government in Berlin nor parliament has joined the fight.

More than that, critics say, the move will do little to stop hardcore neo-Nazi street fighters even as it galvanizes support for a political organization that was already about to self-destruct.

Germany has tough laws to prevent the resurgence of Nazism, such as a ban on displaying the swastika and an edict that makes it illegal to deny the Holocaust.

However, constitutional protections for free speech have made it difficult to ban the NPD just because its ideology bears some similarity to Adolph Hitler's. To do that, the plaintiffs must show the party is actually working to overthrow the state through violence.

Experts say that may be very difficult to prove.

“There are some similarities between today's neo-Nazis and the Nazi Party of the 1920s and '30s,” says Bernd Wagner, a longtime veteran of the anti-extremist unit of the German police. However, he adds, the party lacks a formal structure with a leader at the top. “There are countless cells and networks with separate activities and projects and horizontal, vertical and diagonal connections.”

The danger those informal networks pose hit home in 2011, when police allegedly connected a string of bank robberies and murders to a terrorist cell that called itself the National Socialist Underground (NSU).

Among the group's alleged crimes are the murders of nine immigrants between 2000 and 2006, the bombing of an immigrant-owned barbershop in Cologne in 2004 and the murder of a policewoman and attempted murder of her partner in 2007.

Police initially failed to link the crimes to an ideological motive and insisted at first that the Cologne bombing couldn’t have been a terrorist attack.

It soon surfaced that the earlier effort to ban the NPD may have aided the terrorist group.

In 2012, the Interior Ministry announced it was investigating suspicions that an NPD official named Ralf Wohlleben — who had acted as a confidential informant for the authorities seeking to ban the party — had during the same period supplied the terror cell with the gun allegedly used in the murders of the nine immigrants.

The development gave ominous new meaning to the constitutional court's 2003 dismissal of the case against the NPD.

Back then, the court ruled that the authorities had flooded the party with so many undercover agents and informants that it was impossible to ascertain whether its alleged plotting to overthrow the government had actually been hatched in the minds of the police.

Now it looked as if they had also indirectly supplied the weapons.

“Wohlleben and other functionaries of the NPD were also active in this terror network,” says Wagner, who now heads a group that helps neo-Nazis who want to leave the movement.

“Even though in public they presented themselves as a non-violent democratic party, at the same time they were providing support and logisitics for violent activities.”

Prompted toward new vigilance by the revelations, the Interior Ministry reopened investigations into some 3,300 unsolved murders and attempted murders committed between 1990 and 2011. As a result, nearly 750 cases were added to the 60 killings previously attributed to right-wing extremists.

The 16 state governments now seeking to ban the NPD argue that the party gives the network real political power. They allege that as many as 1 out of 3 party members is a convicted criminal or faces police investigation, according to a copy of the complaint leaked to a German newspaper.

By providing the NPD with the state funding afforded to all German political parties, German taxpayers are essentially paying for the neo-Nazi groups' propaganda, the interior minister for the state of North Rhine-Westphalia argued.

“We can't be the shoemaker who continually resoles their combat boots with this party financing,” Ralf Jäger told German media after the case was lodged.

However, police say it will be difficult to establish the existence of a command structure or a money trail from allegations that the membership rosters of the NPD and informal Kameradschaften, or “fellowships” of neo-Nazis, share some common names.

There's little or no direct proof to suggest that the NPD operates like the political wing of a broader, militant neo-Nazi movement — as Sinn Fein acted for the IRA in Ireland, says Oliver Stepien of the Berlin police.

“The inland intelligence service and our own information suggests that the neo-Nazi action groups try to use the NPD structure to advance their own goals,” he says.

“But there's no general rule that the NPD pays for the lawyers when a right-wing activist is accused of a crime. In fact, the party distances itself from the action groups when they break the law.”

by Anonymousreply 9105/29/2014

Guaranteed, Germany allows gay marriages before all US states do. Legal partnerships are allowed since 2001 all over Germany. More than half of US states have zero legal partnership options for gay and lesbian couples. The majority of Germans support gay marriage, the majority of US citizens don't. America is way behind!

by Anonymousreply 9207/19/2014

Lady Bunny and Angela Merkel have a resemblance. Switch their clothing and you wouldn't know the difference.

by Anonymousreply 9307/19/2014

How many of you, trying to belittle Germany have ever left the States??

by Anonymousreply 9407/19/2014

R92 While Germany will more likely legalise SSM before the likes of Alabama, some states like Bavaria are actually socially quite conservative, more so than US states like Massachusetts which have legalised SSM

by Anonymousreply 9507/19/2014

Being openly gay in Munich is easyer than living in the closet in Houston.

by Anonymousreply 9607/20/2014

Merkel and Putin are two of the same. Merkel is helping Russia deny shooting down that plane. She hates fags. Don't forget she grew up in East Germany under KGB rule. She speaks Russian. She hates fags.

by Anonymousreply 9707/20/2014

She's a cunt. Germany is known as the leader of the EU and this bitch won't go along with giving Putin the finger. CUNT. Germany has typically cared about themselves

by Anonymousreply 9807/20/2014

She is a dry cooched homofobic reptilian. Not bad as Iran anyway.

by Anonymousreply 9907/20/2014

I think she's tremendous. Y'all crazy.

by Anonymousreply 10007/20/2014

Trailer park politician!

by Anonymousreply 10107/20/2014

R96 But being openly gay in Boston is easier than in both Munich and Houston

by Anonymousreply 10207/20/2014

[quote]She's a cunt. Germany is known as the leader of the EU and this bitch won't go along with giving Putin the finger. CUNT. Germany has typically cared about themselves

Showing Putin the finger would achieve what exactly? Those bodies are still in train wagons rotting. Negotiating with armed separatist is not possible without the help of Russia. EU needs Putin in order to get to the crash site. There will be time to impose sanctions on Russia, but now is not the time.

by Anonymousreply 10307/20/2014

[quote]The majority of Germans support gay marriage, the majority of US citizens don't. America is way behind!

How is America behind? Almost half of the US now has gay marriage, while ZERO parts of Germany do. Germany is the one that's behind honey, and because the gays there are lazy and don't fight for their rights, there are no signs of them having gay marriage anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 10407/20/2014

R104 Gays can get married in a legal partnership since 2001 in Germany. Lots of prominent people in politics, arts and entertainment are openly gay. Germany is way more gay friendly than the US!

by Anonymousreply 10507/22/2014

R25, gay marriage has been legal in Germany since Aug. 1, 2014.

The first men to be married celebrate in Hanover The first gay couples in Germany have tied the knot after a new law came into power allowing a form of gay marriage.

It should cause something to be recognised as normal everywhere in Germany that was never abnormal

Berlin Mayor Klaus Wowereit Gudrun Pannier and Angelika Baldow took their vows in Berlin to become the first couple to marry.

"It is exciting to be the first couple and for us it is a great honour," said Ms Baldow.

The first men off the mark were Heinz Friedrich Harre and his partner Reinhard Luechow, who were married in Hanover.

In Hamburg, where an informal gay partnership has been allowed for two years, a "mass wedding" of 15 couples will take place attended by prominent politicians including the leader of the Green Party, Claudia Roth.

Register offices around Germany said their switchboards were jammed with calls from gay couples.

But there have been delays implementing the law in some parts of the country as three states attempt to overturn the legislation at the constitutional court.

Rights and responsibilities

Germany's version of gay marriage will give couples the same inheritance and tenants' rights as heterosexual married couples.

Angelika Baldown (L) and Gudrun Pannier celebrate under the media spotlight A foreigner legally joined in a gay partnership to a German will also gain the right to citizenship here.

Partners will also have a responsibility to maintain and support the other if he or she is in financial difficulties.

But attempts to give same-sex partners the same tax and welfare benefits as those enjoyed by straight couples were defeated in the upper house of the German parliament where Chancellor Schroeder's coalition is in a minority.

And unlike gay couples in the neighbouring Netherlands, German couples will not have the right to adopt.

Legal battle

The states of Bavaria, Saxony and Thueringen are still engaged in a legal battle over the partnership law, claiming that it undermines the constitutional protection of the family.

Although an earlier ruling by the constitutional court ordered all states to implement the law pending a final decision on its constitutionality, some states have not yet done so.

Now gay couples are taking legal action to try to force the law to be implemented.

Despite the difficulties the legislation has faced, the gay community considers it a triumph after years of campaigning.

Berlin Mayor Klaus Wowereit, who recently announced that he was gay, said it was "a great step forward".

"It should cause something to be recognised as normal everywhere in Germany that was never abnormal," he said.

by Anonymousreply 10607/24/2014

Angela Merkel is Hitler-lite.

by Anonymousreply 10707/24/2014

She is the frau's frau.

by Anonymousreply 10807/24/2014

What's Frau Merkel's stance on Jews?

by Anonymousreply 10907/24/2014

The date on that should be

1 August [bold]2001[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 11007/30/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!