Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do Americans miss when American cars were all long and swish and American looking?

Here in England, I was watching an American film made in the 70s the other day with my BF and we were saying how cool American cars were in those days.

To non-Americans, at least, it was one of the things that made the American landscape look so totally different from the rest of the world.

by Anonymousreply 10011/17/2012

I miss the time when different brands were distinctive. You could tell a Ford from a Chevy at first glance. And it makes me sad to drive by a dealership & see 50 shades of gray.

by Anonymousreply 111/10/2012

I don't miss it, but I fondly remember it. My dad had an Oldsmobile Delta 88, which was just fucking gigantic. That's the sort of car you could comfortably fuck in, LOL. But, I'd hate to drive it today. So cumbersome. And, you could see the 5 feet of nose ahead of you. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 211/10/2012

So let's have some pix!

by Anonymousreply 311/10/2012

They're a lot more fun to ride in than to drive. If you're in the back seat, it's a soft, comfortable ride. Well, I do miss V8 engines, but the turning radius in a land yacht makes it hard to handle.

by Anonymousreply 411/10/2012

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 511/10/2012

Yes, very much miss the distigtive American cars. The were unique and they were charming. They were huge and comfortable. I am 40 and as a kid I was obsessed with cars. Now there's not much difference between a Honda or a Cadillac. The othe guy was right, you used to be able to tell an Olds from a Buick from a Mercury from a Chevy. Now many American car brands are forever gone, and the ones remaining copy the imports in the cycle of trying to keep up.

My dad had Cadillacs Mercurys Fords Buicks and there is nothing that compares to the distinctive styling Thea cars had. So yes, I miss the old American cars very much.

by Anonymousreply 611/10/2012

[quote]I miss the days when cars had cool, dangerous-sounding names.

by Anonymousreply 711/10/2012

Your daddy still disapproves of you, R5.

by Anonymousreply 811/10/2012

I just watched "The Conversation" from 1974 and thought the cars were ugly and all looked alike.

by Anonymousreply 911/10/2012

Too many cars today have numbers or letters attached to them. The C series, the RX 350, the the G35, the CX3, the CRV, the X5, etc

So boring.

by Anonymousreply 1011/10/2012

Cars began losing their individuality in the 60s and 70s when the bean counters started getting more influence in the boardroom. All of the Big 3 were notorious for it. You could tell a Ford from a Chrysler or a GM, but the brands within were hard to differentiate. I think Motor Trend did an interesting article in the 70s claiming, and proving that there was not much difference between the Cadillac DeVille and the Chevy Caprice. And they were right.

And now you can't tell American cars from Japanese.

by Anonymousreply 1111/10/2012

I think Americans miss American cars that didn't run like ass.

by Anonymousreply 1211/10/2012

Not me. I thought the huge American land barges were ridiculous, and loved the zippy little cars I saw on my first trip to Europe in 83. Later the fad became huge ridiculous SUVs, which are still around, but I'm happy that small cars are more in fashion here now than before.

by Anonymousreply 1311/10/2012

All cars look the same these days. Boring.

by Anonymousreply 1411/10/2012

I can't believe how many cars ape the Lexus RX 300/330/350. It used to be a very distinctive looking car. Now every crossover looks just like it.

by Anonymousreply 1511/10/2012

If you are ever in Michigan you have to visit the Henry Ford Museum. Of course the original Model T but the most gorgeous cars from the 20's and 30's like a green Packard that is a piece of art.

by Anonymousreply 1611/10/2012

They were grand, but rather cheaply built, with many defects as part of the package. Still, they looked marvelous, like the carriages of royalty.

by Anonymousreply 1711/10/2012

American cars in the 70's were all crap.

by Anonymousreply 1811/11/2012

by Anonymousreply 1911/11/2012

In the 1990s I knew a (young) guy who kept a restored fleet of ridiculously large 1970s American cars. He kept a half dozen in the city and that many more at a family house.

They were absurd then, even, when the car were only 20 or so years old - antiquated but not classic, not "antique", not yet quite old enough to be taken for cool or vintage, though maybe he was onto something well ahead of his time.

by Anonymousreply 2011/11/2012

No one here cares about your weird stereotypes of America, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2111/11/2012

I once took care of an older couples dog while they were gone for 3 weeks. I would go there early am and hang out with the dog for an hour and back later in the day. I stayed several hours in the evening. I had full access to the house, food, tv etc.because I was expected to stay for awhile. He was a car collector. 15 cars, 1930's chev convertible. Old beautiful pink and black Packard. One of the huge old long pink Imperials etc. When they left he showed me where the keys were kept, on a peg board. "Drive whatever you want". I came and went each day with a different car. I was respectful of that and did not abuse and sure didn't want to wreak anything. Each day I did take a little cruise through town.

by Anonymousreply 2211/11/2012

I miss my '67 Chevy Impala with a 427 under the hood.

by Anonymousreply 2311/11/2012

R22, if they were older, that would make them at least, what, 80?

by Anonymousreply 2411/11/2012

Absolutely gorgeous!

by Anonymousreply 2511/11/2012

beautiful land yacht

by Anonymousreply 2611/11/2012

R25 r26

My favorite cars are 70's luxury cars, Lincoln's and Cadillacs. Beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 2711/11/2012

I loved my Grandpa's Chrysler Imperial. It was better than sitting in my parents' own living room.

by Anonymousreply 2811/11/2012

R26 - I knew a lady who had a Lincoln like that in white - I thought it was the most luxurious car I'd ever sat it - MARY! I wouldn't want to own a big rear-wheel drive like that in the snow belt, though. I was ecstatic when my folks finally got a front-wheeler because it meant not getting stuck in 2 inches of snow.

I admit I like the look of today's cars much better than the old ones. I think the new Ford Fusion, for example, is a nice looking piece of metal. It's very European, which is what North American's apparently wanted, and it does look nice. At the same time, I'd love to see cars such as Lincoln stay 'American' looking. I really hate the new MKZ. You could probably slap a Buick badge on it and no one would know the difference. There have been some really good Lincoln concepts (and some Ford ones) that unfortunately will never make it, such as the 2002 Lincoln Continental Concept, or the Ford Interceptor Concept.

by Anonymousreply 2911/11/2012

2002 Lincoln Continental Concept

by Anonymousreply 3011/11/2012

Ford Interceptor Concept

by Anonymousreply 3111/11/2012

The Lincolns of the late 1970s I think are the most beautiful cars ever made. I wasn't old enough to drive until the next decade and the new cars of the 80s, sucked so badly. If I could find one of the late 70s Lincolns in mint condition, I would buy it. I wouldn't drive it because they are death traps today, but I would buy it and just sit in it.

Ford brought back the Mustang retro style, I wish they would bring back the Lincolns retro style too. The Lincoln brand exists today only as a Ford model upgrade option of cheaply made and assembled parts.

Lincoln is dead.

by Anonymousreply 3211/11/2012

My grandmother refused to ride in my grandfather's new 1966 Pontiac because the headlights were stacked on top of each other instead of side by side, and everyone knows that's dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 3311/11/2012

lol @ R33 - grandmothers always know best...

by Anonymousreply 3411/11/2012

The driver of R31:

by Anonymousreply 3511/11/2012

I'm not crazy for the massive size, though I do like the angularity of 1970s cars. Everything now looks like the same well-used bar of soap.

I also like some of the odd rear window forms, like this 1971 Buick Riviera (from the film Gattaca):

by Anonymousreply 3611/11/2012

Really, R35?

by Anonymousreply 3711/11/2012

I grew up with an old yellow Caddie that we called the boat. During an accident, the front hood flew up and folded OVER the roof ot the car, without breaking the windshield.

Damn I loved that car. Like having a tank. And boy could it hydroplane on the Dan Ryan expressway! Awesome!

by Anonymousreply 3811/11/2012

It used to look so funny when you saw little old ladies driving those vast cars. Seat pulled right up to the wheel.

Loved the colors, like burgundy with matching velveteen seats. Great heavy doors.

The cars @ R25 and R26 are beauties. Vast with probably not a lot of room inside.

I think it was the fuel crisis of 1979 that accelerated their demise.

by Anonymousreply 3911/11/2012

We should keep the American car meme in the permanent DL archives. Let's keep bumping this until it reaches 600.

by Anonymousreply 4011/11/2012

Yes OP. Cars all look alike now. A guy in my neighborhood has a 1959 pink Cadillac I would love to have.

[quote]I think Americans miss American cars that didn't run like ass.

You don't much about those old cars. They ran great and were built to last.

by Anonymousreply 4111/11/2012

70's Cadillac comfort

by Anonymousreply 4211/11/2012

What about the rich Corinthian leather?

by Anonymousreply 4311/11/2012

My mother drove a green 1977 Monte Carlo for the longest time. She was a teacher at the time and had a long commute, so she traded that big body car for an '86 Izuzu I-mark.

by Anonymousreply 4411/11/2012

Sigh R42

by Anonymousreply 4511/11/2012

for R43

by Anonymousreply 4611/11/2012

I drove a 60 Cadillac this summer. It had been sitting for a couple of years, but it fired right up with a jump.

What was amazing was the air conditioner. It put out huge volumes of the coldest air I've ever felt. You could store meat in that thing with the air on.

by Anonymousreply 4711/11/2012

I grew up poor. My best friend in high school was wealthy and the family owned a car dealership. I didn't even know there were cars with air conditioning, electric windows, electric seat controls that made the seats all the way flat back in 1970. I felt like I was in a spaceship when I rode with them I'm the family car.

My mother's car supposedly had heat, but we never drove far enough for it to get warm, lol

by Anonymousreply 4811/11/2012

R48 - we had a teacher with an old Beetle that didn't have any heat. Or, rather, it had this tiny little heater that barely heated. I remember her driving around with these little holes scraped in the frost. It's a wonder she never hit anyone or anything.

by Anonymousreply 4911/11/2012

I went from a 1969 Jaguar XK-E coupe (worst car, ever but sexy to look at) to a 1977 Cadillac Seville, which I loved. It was black on black. You could actually watch the gas needle go down if you were driving uphill.

by Anonymousreply 5011/11/2012

[quote]I went from a 1969 Jaguar XK-E coupe (worst car, ever but sexy to look at)

If this is what you're talking about, yes...v. cool

by Anonymousreply 5111/11/2012

Check out these Lincolns by Givenchy,Pucci, Cartier and Bill Blass. Perfect for arriving at Studio 54's door

by Anonymousreply 5211/11/2012

by Anonymousreply 5311/11/2012

Do I miss those big gas guzzlers? YES! Man, at least back in the good old days cars had style of some kind. These tin cans today have zero style.

by Anonymousreply 5411/11/2012

by Anonymousreply 5511/11/2012

What is with the modern obsession with making rear windows smaller and smaller?

by Anonymousreply 5611/11/2012

My mother had a 1971 Tbird 4 door. Coolest car ever made!

by Anonymousreply 5711/11/2012

My mom had a Chevy Corvair. The backseat floor kept falling down. I could see the road. My mom would say, "Just don't put your feet down!" it used to get the shakes. The steering wheel would start shimmying and the whole front of the car would do the hippy hippy shake.

My mom owned some real bombs.

My sister's bf owned a fantastic-looking turquoise Triumph.I loved to be seen in that car, but it rarely made it more than 4 or 5 blocks before nearly exploding. Cops would always try to help us fix it when it would break down -- they just loved looking over that Triumph because they couldnt believe how bad it was. We had to grab the joints and roaches out of the ashtray and stow them under the seat.

He sold it for a case of beer. Great-looking car, though

by Anonymousreply 5811/11/2012

Top of the line AMC Ambassador 1958 version

by Anonymousreply 5911/11/2012

This is what I drove to school and kegs my senior year in 1979. It was a boat, but did it impress!

by Anonymousreply 6011/11/2012

If I had a place to store a classic car, I would be all over a really nice AMC Pacer. I think in another 10-20 years people will wake up and realize what classics those cars were.

(I'm talking about styling. I'm well aware they were pieces of shit to drive)

by Anonymousreply 6111/11/2012

I like when people post links. This thread is useless without pics.

The pic @ R52 is other worldy.

Imagine driving off the lot in one of those things, brand new.

by Anonymousreply 6211/11/2012

I agree, R61, Pacers were cool looking.

by Anonymousreply 6311/11/2012

I don't really miss them because they put lead in the air and were so wasteful of fuel.

But I do miss the big V-8 engines that sped up so easily and the cushy soft feel, especially on long trips, sort of like floating on a marshmallow.

by Anonymousreply 6411/11/2012

I just remembered, those oval windows on Fords/Lincolns were called opera windows.

Speaking of windows, take a look at this Mercury. The rear window opened.

by Anonymousreply 6511/11/2012

Mercury Cougars from the late 1960s and early 1970s had great forms, really distinctive front and rear ends and a great sloping rear window. They were angular and sleek without looking like a Kleenex box on wheels, and though they sometimes got up jacked up and tripped out with motorhead shit, they could just as easily make a bridge between conservative luxury and forward-looking sportiness.

by Anonymousreply 6611/11/2012

My car looks just like every other new car on the road, and I can't afford the really distinctive new ones, but what amazes me is how far we've come with technology in the past 50 years. Check out this crash test between a 1959 Chevy and a 2009 Chevy.

by Anonymousreply 6711/11/2012

R66, don't forget the rear sequential lights

by Anonymousreply 6811/11/2012

Interesting video, R67. I bet if you ask anyone whether or not today's vehicles are safer, or the old iron land yachts, most people would probably pick the old iron land yachts.

by Anonymousreply 6911/11/2012

Since this is DL...

1972. A week before my graduation from high school, Ron, David, and I were in the car that my father owned. A 1968 Buick that was enormous. What still amazes me is that you could park a car like that in those days. Today? LOL! You would take up probably two spaces. Anyway, I was the designated driver. We went to Staten Island to drink (the legal age was 18). On the way home to North Jersey, we ended up parked near a woods, getting high. Alcohol and pot and teen horniness. David joked about how big he was and Rond and I wanted to see what David was talking about. We all ended up in the back seat jacking and sucking.

I cannot imagine this happening in my Nissan Maxima. Those old cars were definitely made for sex.

by Anonymousreply 7011/11/2012

I haven't the slightest idea of what might be wrong if something does go wrong in my car. I take it to get the oil changed when it'sdyne due date and everything is fine.

When I read some of these "worst car I ever owned stories," I'm amazed at how many things people would fix themselves. Thermostats, gear shafts, belts, blocks, rods. It seems people were used to fixing their cars themselves. I've never even checked the oil in my car with a stick.

I've had my car (my first) for 7 years and haven't had problems except to get new tires.

by Anonymousreply 7111/11/2012

I find the 1964-1966 Imperials so handsome and so stately looking. The only reason I'd look at MAD MEN from time to time would be to see Don Draper in that obscenely gorgeous Imperial Crown Convertible:

by Anonymousreply 7211/11/2012

R61 AMC designed the Pacer with the passenger door a few inches longer than the driver door for easier access to the back seat for rear passengers. Not sure if you knew this fun fact.

by Anonymousreply 7311/11/2012

Both the Pacer and the Matador Coupe were a waste of AMC's limited resources, and played a big role in the company's fall.

by Anonymousreply 7411/11/2012

R71, when I had big American cars, I could do some of my own minor maintenance: changing the oil and oil filter, changing the air filter was a cinch, draining the radiator. I tried changing the air filter on a Mitsubishi Galant: it took me at least half an hour. I had to move all sorts of stuff out of the way just to get to the filter. It would have taken me about two minutes on an Oldsmobile.

by Anonymousreply 7511/11/2012

I always liked Kelly's little Mustang in Charlie's Angels...yellow with the two tone roof.

Why don't cars come in cool colors any more?

by Anonymousreply 7611/11/2012

If the AMC Matador never existed Pedro Almodovar would have had to invent it.

by Anonymousreply 7711/11/2012

My best friend had a powder blue Camaro sport coupe with a white roof and tan interior. It wasn't all that uncommon to get a different colored roof on a car in tne 70s. you could get racing stripes, too. Or pinstripes.

You can get racing stripes and a different colored roof on the Mini and the Mustang now, but are there other contemporary cars that come with those options?

by Anonymousreply 7811/11/2012

I agree about the 64-66 Imperials. Elegant luxury.

by Anonymousreply 7911/11/2012

My first car was a Lincoln just like in R52's post.

It was royal blue metallic and had royal blue metallic leather seats and shag carpeting. Also a Cartier clock. The back seat was huge, like a living room, perfect for sex. I loved hat car.

by Anonymousreply 8011/11/2012

I love old American cars. I have a black '67 Mustang coupe. I can't bring myself to buy a Japanese car. It was a depressing sight driving past all the car dealerships today and not being able to tell which one sells American cars! Cadillac is the only one that still has a hint of American style in every model.

by Anonymousreply 8111/11/2012

In the 1960's, my grandparents had a gorgeous slab-sided four door Lincoln Continental with the suicide doors - light greeny/tan color with matching leather interior. I think it was a 1965 model. I barely remember it but do remember the car being enormous and all four of us grandkids could easily fit in the backseat. I also remember it having electric windows and we'd constantly run them up and down. I'd love to have a convertible version of that same car now. A classic beauty.

by Anonymousreply 8211/12/2012

So is this what all the Romney supporters talk about now?

by Anonymousreply 8311/12/2012

Look who's driving a 75 Mercury Cougar!

by Anonymousreply 8411/12/2012

I love that the little window in the back (@R84) is called an 'Opera Window'. Never heard that before.

by Anonymousreply 8511/12/2012

1975 Cougar - where vinyl goes to die.

by Anonymousreply 8611/12/2012

At my first job, all the Italian girls wanted a black Trans Am. It was the Guidette Car of the Year.

by Anonymousreply 8711/12/2012

by Anonymousreply 8811/16/2012

I just love this car. So classy. The AMC Matador Barcelona

by Anonymousreply 8911/16/2012

I think the nadir of American car design occurred in the early 1980's when GM introducted the "J" car. It was the first platform to be used by all 5 divisions, including Cadillac. While the Chevy, Pontiac and Buick versions of this car sold well, the Olds version was the beginning of the end for Oldsmobile, and the Cadillac Cimarron is listed as one of the 50 worst cars of all time.

I also remember during that same period, Lincoln was still a very distinctive car, and its ads made fun of the sameness of the Buick Electra 225/Oldsmobile 98/Cadillac Sedan DeVille.

by Anonymousreply 9011/16/2012

Which car was the first Japanese luxury car?

by Anonymousreply 9111/16/2012

I would say the Toyota Cressida, R91. My uncle had one that was about an '85 model. I remember it was loaded with gadgets and goodies - it was pretty luxurious for the time. It was a really small car, though. I think the most significant, though, was the Lexus is400.

by Anonymousreply 9211/16/2012

Thanks r92, that's the answer I was trying to think of. My uncle had one around 1982, and yes it was small and boxy

by Anonymousreply 9311/16/2012

The other day I saw a 57 Desoto. It was spectacular. Yellow and white with fins that were halfway to the sky.

by Anonymousreply 9411/16/2012

This, right here is what I want to own:

by Anonymousreply 9511/16/2012

The correct link:

by Anonymousreply 9611/17/2012

by Anonymousreply 9711/17/2012

Strange post R97. You could have made your point far more effectively without all the vitriol, don't you think?

To say all men love cars and engineering is ridiculous. Plenty of men, straight and gay, haven't the slightest interest in cars.

I remember some time ago there was a thread about telephones, I think and some guy posted that he was surprised that there was a thread on DL that sounded like a bunch of stereotypically boring straight guys.

by Anonymousreply 9811/17/2012

this one must have made a huge impact when it appeared in 1967

by Anonymousreply 9911/17/2012

OP, when I went to London in 73, I couldn't believe how small the cars were.

Suburbs raised me. Loved driving along in gigantic early 70s land-yachts, big convertibles, sofa-like seats, power-steering with zero road feel you steer with one finger, 500 cu in engines, top down and careening along the FDR drive.

Englishman, you have no idea. They were great. I treasure the sense-memory.

by Anonymousreply 10011/17/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!