Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The higher the percentage of blacks a state has, the lower the percentage of the white vote that went for Obama

Among the states in which exit polls were conducted, Obama won the lowest percentage of the white vote in the state with the highest percentage of black voters. That state was the ever-reliable Mississippi, where Romney made his famous “I like grits” comment. Thirty-six percent of the voters in Mississippi are black. Obama won a mere 10 percent of the white vote there.

Conversely, Obama won one of his highest percentages of white voters in the state with the fewest minority voters: Maine. Ninety-five percent of Maine’s voters were white, and 57 percent of them voted for Obama. That ties with one other state for the highest percent of whites voting for Obama: Massachusetts, where 86 percent of the voters are white.

In fact, Obama won the white vote only in states with small minority voting populations. The others Obama won were Iowa (93 percent white), New Hampshire (93 percent white), Oregon (88 percent white), Connecticut (79 percent white) and Washington State (76 percent white).

This is quite a curious phenomenon.

by Anonymousreply 511/10/2012

I'm guessing that in states with a large percentage of blacks, white people tend to blame their problems on the blacks ("I wouldn't be unemployed if all those damn black people in this state weren't taking all the jobs!"). Blacks and other minorities are the scapegoat. As a result, white people in those states are more reluctant to vote for a black president.

by Anonymousreply 111/10/2012

OP, there's nothing curious about this The majority of the black population live in southern states, which historically, as always been the most racist as well.

by Anonymousreply 211/10/2012

They're southern states. This isn't surprising.

by Anonymousreply 311/10/2012

Just making sure you know that slavery WAS happening in England and other parts of Europe. These threads are written by a hurting Black person who likes to slam the US in favor of Britain and Europe but Shhhhhh, doesn't know slavery also existed in Europe. Hard to move forward with one foot stuck in the past.

by Anonymousreply 411/10/2012

Sorry, I didn't see your post, R2.

by Anonymousreply 511/10/2012
Need more help? Click Here.