Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Catholic Church On Gay Marriage: We Are Not Losing

According to an article in L'Osservatore Romano by historian Lucetta Scaraffia, the church has emerged in recent years as the only institution on the global stage that's capable of resisting the forces that threaten to "break up...human society."

by Anonymousreply 1211/11/2012

Yeah, right. Homosessuals are at it agin, breaking up society! As if.

I think the religious wing nuts are doing a damn good job at breaking up society with their ridiculousness.

by Anonymousreply 111/10/2012

Those old pervs and closted fags of the Catholic Church just won't go quietly into that good night, will they?

by Anonymousreply 211/10/2012

Yes, the Catholic church has been playing politics -- with varying degrees of success -- for the better part of the past 2000 years, but this is a fight that they cannot and ultimately will not win.

The argument is absurd:

[quote]By opposing legislation allowing gay couples to adopt in the United Kingdom or fighting the birth control mandate in the U.S., the church "made it clear for everyone that this is not about progress" but about "the loss of one of the founding freedoms of the modern State, religious liberty."

This is not about "religious liberty." That is a smokescreen for intolerance and outright bigotry. Someone who is opposed on moral and religious grounds to same-sex marriage should simply not have one. End of story. But the Catholic church and like minded individuals should leave their morals and cramped religious beliefs out of the secular workings of the state because -- news flash -- not everyone agrees with them or cares what those beliefs may dictate. This is an unwarranted and unwelcome intrusion of religion into public policy and it should be shunned and avoided.

by Anonymousreply 311/10/2012

Pull their tax status already. Challenge their tax status in the Supreme Court.

by Anonymousreply 411/10/2012

I don't expect the Catholic church to ever change their stance on gay marriage,birth control, or abortion. That is their right just as it is mine to not belong to this corrupt religion. They can do what they want. Gay people can get legally married in plenty of places and there are other friendlier churches who welcome all people. I don't understand why anyone wants to even fight them. There are enough people I know who have left the church and their numbers have been dwindling for awhile now. They can go fuck themselves to me. They don't even exist as far as I am concerned.

by Anonymousreply 511/10/2012

[quote]gay marriage,birth control, or abortion

They have changed their position a number of times over the past two hundred years.

by Anonymousreply 611/10/2012

Did the original dinosaurs rush toward oblivion as well or is the Church just trying to get it done before another kiddie buggering scandal erupts?

by Anonymousreply 711/10/2012

The hierarchy of the Catholic Church feels nothing but contempt for ordinary Catholics. This has always been the case, but there's been a severe disconnect since Humanae Vitae came out in the mid-1960's.

Most Catholics are pro-choice, pro-gay, and pro-birth control. Ordinary Catholics are overly patience and have learned long ago that most priests are like their somewhat nutty old aunt who blurts out embarrassing comments at weird moments.

Also, most gay Catholics are now ex-Catholics...they walked away like a battered spouse tired of the abuse.

by Anonymousreply 811/10/2012

by Anonymousreply 911/10/2012

A vile institution.

by Anonymousreply 1011/10/2012

Man in white dress and ruby red slippers vows to fight gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 1111/11/2012

catholics are a sick group

by Anonymousreply 1211/11/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!