Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Denial has poisoned the GOP and threatens the rest of the country too

By Frank Rich

by Anonymousreply 1111/11/2012

All true, unfortunately. The last paragraph is the worst to read. How can we get out of this, America? You have people like Rachel Maddow, who researches the shit out of everything she presents, and is shouting facts from the rooftops, and conservatives will doubt every word she says. The job of being a responsible, thorough journalist is no longer respected. It is true what the article said: Facts are often "just your opinion." I have given facts to conservative acquaintances to disprove some of their bullshit, and they will still say, "Well, that's how YOU feel." It's not how I feel, you idiot, it's actually TRUE, and REAL.

by Anonymousreply 111/11/2012

by Anonymousreply 211/11/2012

great article, thanks for posting OP

by Anonymousreply 311/11/2012

One of the best op-eds of the past decade.

by Anonymousreply 411/11/2012

We have now begun the process of turning the Republican Party's penchant for destruction inward onto itself.

by Anonymousreply 511/11/2012

This to me is one of the big stories of this election. The choose your own reality stuff.

Yesterday there was whole thread on here where DLers thought the Republicans were lying about being shocked by the election results. A lot of the Rethugs were shocked. It's connected. You had all these FoxNews people running around promoting and believing "unskewed" polling claiming a strong Romney win.

by Anonymousreply 611/11/2012

Well said.

by Anonymousreply 711/11/2012

I'm so glad that all these horrific right wing people who were gloating about their win BEFORE Election Day had their asses handed to them.

by Anonymousreply 811/11/2012

Some of them are still trying to figure out what happened. I participated in a longish phone poll yesterday where it was clear that the poll was from an evangelical/Tea Party point of view.

The questions were focused on my experiences with reverse discrimination/affirmative action, using my taxes to pay for the 'takers', whether I thought the President was a Muslim or Kenyan, and thoughts on killing the unborn. I was also asked questions on how many times a week I went to Church, whether I considered myself born again, and how many non-Whites lived in my neighborhood.

I was also asked who I voted for for Pres, Senate, and House and which issues were important to me. Surprisingly, there were no questions on gay issues. The focus was on immigration, health insurance, affirmative action, abortion and racial tolerance.

The poll was poorly designed and some of the questions were downright insulting. But stayed on the line because I wanted the poll sponsor knew that not every 50-year old white Virginian thinks that way they do.

by Anonymousreply 911/11/2012

Fox News and Rush Limbaugh brought about the GOP defeat in a large way by furnishing Romney with the facts regarding the "47%".

I am quite enjoying all of the post-mortem stories out there regarding how many republicans actually thought Romney would win.

by Anonymousreply 1011/11/2012

Thanks for posting this, OP. Bravo!

by Anonymousreply 1111/11/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!