Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

It looks like AC360 and the rest of CNN's shows were beat out by MSNBC even through Hurricane Sandy coverage!

AC360 was in last place the past 10 days even with Hurricane Sandy coverage and Anderson Cooper live in the field (www.tvbythenumbers). The Lawrence Odonell Show and The Ed Show has beat him consistently. I am very surprised by this. CNN usually beats out MSNBC during anything that is deemed catostrophic weather hence Hurricane Katrina coverage. Even Politics Nations with Al Sharpton has been beating The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer.

Do you guys think CNN will ever figure it out?

I can turn on MSNBC at any time and see openly gay host (Rachel Maddow/Thomas Roberts), African American male and female host (the list is too long), young white men and women, older white men and women. They have Latina and Asian host like Alex Wagner and Veronica De La Cruz. They even have a host of Pakinstani decent Martin Bashir.

Do you think CNN needs to be more progressive when it comes to diversifying their brand or do you think they will get left behind in the dust?

Can they continue on with their all white male cast of journalist(with the exception of Soledad Obrien and Don Lemon)?

Are they doomed?

by Anonymousreply 5411/13/2012

The answer is yes, OP.

by Anonymousreply 111/10/2012

They should give Don Lemon a show where he talks shit about celebrities and politicians. A panel of guest cohosts. Frequent cohost: Anderson Cooper. One of the segments could be Don accosting random celebs in airports and hotels to see if they know who he is. Hilarity ensues. Ratings gold!

by Anonymousreply 211/10/2012

I used to be an avid CNN watcher but not so much anymore. I see very big differences between them and the others. Even FOX news is progressive when it comes to hiring minorities.

What do you think the problem is with CNN? Why are people not tuning in?

by Anonymousreply 311/10/2012

CNN's too right leaning. Fox viewers aren't going to watch them and they've turned off the liberals who can now watch MSNBC. They claim to be non-partisan when they are not. President Obama has a mandate now, but you have anchors/pundits on CNN still out there saying that he's the main reason for the gridlock in Washington which is ridiculous. The day before the election, Dana Bash was saying that the enthusiasm level for Romney was significantly higher than it was for Obama and it turns out she was dead wrong. They want believe what fits their Obama-hating narrative, but they're going to have to change.

by Anonymousreply 411/10/2012

To start with, CNN must drop the following personalities:

Erin Burnett

Piers Morgan

Anderson Cooper

Wolf Blitzer

Ali Velshi

Roland Martin

John King

Candy Crowley

They have served their time. They are boring and offer nothing NOTHING original. I vow never to watch King at the "magic board" ever again. Velshi is an auctioneer missing a carnival. Cooper is a stuttering pretender. Gimmicks and pretty teeth are no substitute for astute analysis.

by Anonymousreply 511/10/2012

The right calls it Communist News Network and the left thinks it's Fox lite. The effort to hold the middle ground is not a good strategy because news junkies almost always have a point of view and if you piss them off half the time they won't watch.

MSNBC actually does give the Republican point of view a fair amount of time (Joe Scarborough, Steve Schmidt and Michael Steele being the biggest current voices). But they have conservatives who (usually) talk in the language of reality. So I think I get both legitimate points of view from MSNBC without hearing the latest Republican spin which is so obvious because every one of them uses the same talking points each day.

by Anonymousreply 611/10/2012

When/if Anderson goes, I'm done with CNN.

I know there's someone here who likes to post threads about CNN failing every other week just so they can hit out at AC.

by Anonymousreply 711/10/2012

I'm also done with CNN. I used to rely on them for balanced reporting. But they've made a conscious decision to compete for the conservative audience and they're trying to shed the perception that they are biased against Republican leaning interests and positions.

They lost me after watching their coverage of the debates. It was a constant play to show they were similar to Fox News, perhaps hoping to have Sean Hannity say "Even CNN agrees with our point of view". I have removed them as my browser homepage and I don't turn them on to watch.

by Anonymousreply 811/10/2012

I watched Carol Costello the morning after Hurricane Sandy made landfall. She must have been having a bad day because it was some of the most uninspired live coverage Ive ever seen. She looked like she would rather throw herself into the storm surge than be on camera that morning.

I have grown to love Soledad O'brien though. She takes absolutely no shit from any of her guests.

by Anonymousreply 911/10/2012

If they all acted like Soledad they would be a hit.

by Anonymousreply 1011/10/2012

I wish she had thrown herself into Sandy, r9. She is an insufferable buffoon.

by Anonymousreply 1111/10/2012

I really like Soledad too!

by Anonymousreply 1211/10/2012

CNN's idea of lively is Wolf Blitzer, Candy Crowley, and maybe a drive-by with some of the perennially ossified inner-beltway types. MSNBC is just so much more lively and current and fun to watch!

I have started watching Politics Nation whenever I can, and it is a real kick, Rev. Al has actually developed a real style, even though reading the TelePrompTer will never be his strength, he more than makes up for it. Great show!

by Anonymousreply 1311/10/2012

I've written this before, but long ago, when Anderson Cooper first got his own show, Tim Goodman, the TV critic (now with THR, then with SFGate/Chron), said that Cooper was essentially Ashleigh Banfield, Part 2.

Goodman was absolutely correct, but given Cooper's connections, he got to hang around long, long, long, long after the ratings showed his show simply doesn't work.

by Anonymousreply 1411/10/2012

The Ed Show on MSNBC is now number 2 after O'Reilly on Fox

AC360 is third in its time slot.

by Anonymousreply 1511/10/2012

r14 you are shady but you are correct. Ashleigh Banfield popped up on CNN during the storm coverage out of nowhere. I had no idea she had taken over Tony Harris's old shift.

by Anonymousreply 1611/10/2012

CNN is the TMZ of news groups. One trip to their online comment section and the peasants they attract and you can see how they failed to carefully craft their image of a serious go-to news agency. They're done. All for cheap hit count for ad revenue. They'll never recover from this gaffe.

by Anonymousreply 1711/10/2012

I'd definitely get rid of Wolf Blitzer, Gloria Borrger, Roland Martin, Dana Bash, Piers Morgan, Erin Burnett and Candy Drowley.

I'd keep Anderson, Soledad, Ali Velshi, and John King. I like Martin Savitch and Fareed Zacharias, too. Gergen's got to go. He's over. Mary Matalin? Gone. Carville and Begala are OK. Toobin is fine.

Right now, Wolf Blitzer is on constantly. I mean Constantly. I cannot stand him. However, I enjoyed watching election coverage on John King's maps.

Fact is, yes they have a liberal perspective, but the people on MSNBC are intelligent. I always learn something from watching that network. Even the commentators they have on are really smart. Chris Hayes, Ezra Klein, Joan Walsh, Jonathan Alter, many others.

Chris Matthews is great fun to watch. I genuinely like them all, and trust them. I must say, Ed Schultz has an outsized ego, and he can be insufferable, but I'd rather deal with him than Piers Morgan. And there is no one on any TV network as good as Rachel. She is stellar!

by Anonymousreply 1811/10/2012

R7 please don't go there. If we want to talk about how atrocious CNN is then we can do so. If Anderson Cooper is not up to par then he's fair game and so are the rest. Nobody is trying to throw a subliminal dig at him if they were they would have mentioned his daytime show being cancelled.

I can say after watching that youtube clip of Soledad O'brien I have become a "new" fan. She was not having it. She would be a great addition to MSNBC.

by Anonymousreply 1911/10/2012

Soledad O'brien used to work at MSNBC

by Anonymousreply 2011/10/2012

Oh really? So maybe that's why she's not afraid to give an opinion. CNN has been dreadful the past couple of years.

by Anonymousreply 2111/10/2012

Cnn International used to be great. Hopefully it still is, but I haven’t been able to watch it lately.

If CNN and CNNI could merge, it could save the brand, and possibly be cheaper so they could devote more resources to global bureaus. It could work, as long as CNN doesn’t drag CNNI down to their level - which, unfortunately, is very possible, if not probable.

by Anonymousreply 2211/10/2012

If CNN had a fleet of Soledads they'd be indispensable.

by Anonymousreply 2311/11/2012

CNN actually poached Soledad from MSNBC

by Anonymousreply 2411/11/2012

Anderson has become a boah.

by Anonymousreply 2511/11/2012

I'd keep Anderson, Fareed, Soledad and Ali Velshi because he WILL go after conservatives. Even Anderson was questioning how Mary Matalin could continue to act like the Republicans don't have to change after having been trounced in the election. Don Lemon is kind of strange but I guess he could stay. Dana Bash, Gloria Borger, David Gergen, Candy Crowley, Jessica Yellin and all their right wing pundits can go. I don't like Jessica Yellin because although she's the White House correspondent for CNN, she has an attitude towards the President and the Administration, she always comes off suspicious and disdainful of them instead of just reporting straight.

by Anonymousreply 2611/11/2012

[quote]Right now, Wolf Blitzer is on constantly. I mean Constantly. I cannot stand him. However, I enjoyed watching election coverage on John King's maps.

It's more likely they'd try and invent a new day of the week to put him on than realize there's too much of this hack.

by Anonymousreply 2711/11/2012

CNN Pouched both Soledad and Suzanne Malveaux from MSNBC. Another Fact, Soledad and Suzanne were classmates at Harvard.

The quality of their respective shows are some of the best hours of CNN programming. Between Soledad's hard interviewing during Early Start, to Suzanne's well thought out programming during Newsroom International makes up for the mess in Primetime.

by Anonymousreply 2811/11/2012

Brianna Keilar, another star at CNN, one of the best Washington correspondents of all times!

by Anonymousreply 2911/11/2012

The power that be at CNN decided after the 2010 mid-term elections to veer to the right. I guess they thought that the emergence of the Tea Party was a signal that America was turning conservative again and they wanted to be a part of it. They hired Tea Party darlings Eric Erickson and Dana Loesch as pundits. It's been all downhill from there.

Anderson, Gloria Borger, Candy, Erin Burnett and Dana Bash used to tilt more Democrat until CNN decided that they were going after a more conservative viewer. I think Democratic pundit Donna Brazile has been pushed out completely.

by Anonymousreply 3011/11/2012

Whatever they are doing it's not working. I can barely stand to watch CNN for more than 30 minutes at a time. They try to blame Obama for everything, even bad weather and they think their viewers don't know what they are up to.

by Anonymousreply 3111/12/2012

People know CNN is sensationalism and lies.

by Anonymousreply 3211/12/2012

There are two reasons I no longer watch CNN:

Rachel Maddow

Lawrence O'Donnell

by Anonymousreply 3311/12/2012

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really enjoyed CNN's election coverage.

Aside from that, the network sucks cocks in hell.

by Anonymousreply 3411/12/2012

I wonder if the election will turn in to a boon for MSNBC's ratings. They were getting it right all along while Fox was in its Cone of Silence. Surely, non-Fox news consumers have to take note of this.

by Anonymousreply 3511/12/2012

MSNBC is the network of the future. They rock! The folks at CNN have been living high on the hog for way to long. They have folks over there complaining about ONE of their homes being flooded out (at least he has another home to go to). Are regular people suppose to relate to that?

by Anonymousreply 3611/12/2012

Rachel Maddow just said President Obama is considering Susan Rice for secratary of state. Anderson Cooper is going to shit bricks when he finds out. He went on a witch hunt against her a few weeks ago but could do nothing but back down when Hilary Clinton accepted the blame. He can't stand seeing minorities in power. You can see the hate in his eyes.

by Anonymousreply 3711/12/2012

I think it's a go. CBS has reported Susan Rice will probably be the new secratary of state. In other news I have become addicted to that new show the cycle on msnbc. They have very interesting guest and everybody on the panel seems to be very smart.

by Anonymousreply 3811/13/2012

The local stations in the areas affected by Sandy had nonstop coverage of the storm for a week. They had essentially turned into cable news stations. There was no reason to watch CNN.

WCBS, WNBC, WABC, NY1 and NewsChannel 12 we're all about Sandy in the NYC area. I'm sure NJ and any other hard hit area tuned into their local stations. Outside of the areas badly affected, nobody really cared all that much to watch continual coverage of the storm. They could watch things like the Con Ed station explosion on YouTube at their leisure.

by Anonymousreply 3911/13/2012

R39 The Ed Show has been #2 long before Hurricane Sandy, pushing AC360 to #3

And the ratings have remained the same since.

by Anonymousreply 4011/13/2012

It bothers me that I can't watch MSNBC in the morning...those retards need to be replaced.

by Anonymousreply 4111/13/2012

Well known lesbian senator Lindsey Graham has said he will not allow Susan Rice to be confirmed. Because she was "involved" in

(dramatic music)

[italic] Benghazi [/italic]

by Anonymousreply 4211/13/2012

Cooper and Piers should be the first to go since they are the weakest links and I can't believe people here think Cooper adds any sort of value to CNN, he is in fact part of they're problem.

by Anonymousreply 4311/13/2012

Seems like Donna Brazile has disappeared. She used to be an out lesbian when she ran Al Gore's campaign, wasn't she? But she's a devout Catholic and I never hear her mention being gay on TV.

I think she has been working to hard to be Miss Nice, a person who never ever criticizes anyone. Not even anti-gay rightwing folks.

by Anonymousreply 4411/13/2012

Well, R40, the OP of this thread seems to be impressed that MSNBC beat CNN during the coverage of the storm. My take on it is that there is no reason to watch CNN during a weather event anymore, so why be surprised that they got beaten during the storm?

by Anonymousreply 4511/13/2012

If that is the case then AC should take a salary cut since his ratings don't reflect his million dollar salary

by Anonymousreply 4611/13/2012

R46 is REALLY invested in cutting Anderson's "million dollar salary". She has posted the exact same thing on the other AC thread too. Why are you so fixated on that, r46?

by Anonymousreply 4711/13/2012

[quote]Seems like Donna Brazile has disappeared.

She appears quite often on "This Week with George S." ... but yes, I can't remember when I last saw her on CNN.

by Anonymousreply 4811/13/2012

I'd rather Piers and Burnett go instead of Anderson Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 4911/13/2012

What he is saying R47 is that AC doesn't deserve his salary because of consistantly low ratings over the past 3 yrs. That's a fair statement.

by Anonymousreply 5011/13/2012

I'm actually surprised MSNBC beat CNN during the hurricane. I found myself watching CNN. It seemed like MSNBC continued to spend the majority of their time on election coverage.

Wolf Blitzer & Piers Morgan have got to go. They are liabilities. Erin Burnett seems like a not-too-bright sorority girl. I like Anderson & John King.

I'm as liberal as they come, but watching MSNBC all the time gets old. They are too heavily partisan for my taste. Rachel & Chris Matthews are solid, as are most of the pundits (esp. Ezra Klein). But Lawrence & Ed kind of annoy me personality-wise.

I probably watched more Charlie Rose this cycle than all the other networks combined. Even though he's smug & seems to interrupt frequently, he has far & away the best & brightest guests.

by Anonymousreply 5111/13/2012

R50, R46 REALLY thinks Anderson doesn't deserve to LIVE, let alone have a big salary. That's the problem with R46.

by Anonymousreply 5211/13/2012

By this time next year, Anderson will be spending a lot more time with Ben since he will no longer have any regular TV shows - just something on "60 Minutes" every once in awhile.

by Anonymousreply 5311/13/2012

What an epic fail. He's being forced to do something he really didn't want to do in the first place. Spend more time with his trade. Lol!

by Anonymousreply 5411/13/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!