Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Arizona gun dealer tells Obama voters, 'Turn around and leave!'

An Arizona-based firearms dealer is refusing to do business with gun owners or potential gun buyers who voted for Barack Obama, and whether it costs him money, he is providing those potential customers with what he considers an object lesson about actions and consequences.

Cope Reynolds, proprietor at Southwest Shooting Authority in Pinetop, Ariz., told Examiner Friday that he is absolutely serious and he does not care if it upsets some people. His approach is visceral. It made headlines on AmmoLand and The Gun Wire, and it is garnering support from gun rights activists, as can be seen in the comments below.

“I’ve been trying to wake people up,” he lamented.

Reynolds’ approach is like a bucket of ice water, rather than a diplomatic nudge, however. The sign posted in the door of his shop says it all:

“If you voted for Barack Obama Your business is not welcome at Southwest Shooting Authority. You have proven you are not responsible enough to own a firearm.”

Inside, another sign warns, “If you voted for Obama, please turn around and leave!”

As a reader of this column revealed, not every gun owner turned his back on Obama. A number of people who belong to various Pacific Northwest gun rights forums also indicated, either openly or by refusing to disclose, that they voted for the president. Apparently, the phenomenon is not confined to Washington and Oregon, where some gun owners are “blue bloods” in a political sense.

Reynolds is having none of it, and he no longer wants their business. A sign that was posted outside of his store announced an “Obama bin Biden” sale, which brought criticism from pro-Obama residents in his community, according to a newspaper article. Reynolds doesn’t care. He wants to alienate those people, although upon reflection, it is not clear how he could enforce the policy.

If the idea spreads to other gun shops and then to the aisles at gun shows, Obama supporters may soon be shooting blanks. There is no indication that other firearms retailers have copied Reynolds, in Arizona or elsewhere in the Southwest. But the story just broke Friday.

Is it discrimination? Retailers retain the right to refuse business to anyone, and in the case of a gun dealer, he is not violating anyone’s Second Amendment right by telling them to pound sand. He even bought advertising space in the White Mountain Independent newspaper to explain his position.

“Effective immediately, if you voted for Obama, your money is no good here,” the advertisement says. “You have proven beyond a doubt that you are not responsible enough to own a firearm. We have just put a sign up on the front door to save you the trouble of walking all the way in here….”

Reynolds is a transplant. He originally had a business in Farmington, N.M. but moved to Pinetop a few years ago. It is a small community more than 100 miles northeast from Phoenix in the White Mountains; the kind of place “nobody ever heard of.”

After this week, it’s going to be on everybody’s map.

by Anonymousreply 1911/14/2012

THIS is the new Right-Wing FOX mantra that they will continue to pound into the nation's collective heads:

Democrats, bar none and to a person, are BY DEFINITION "irresponsible," as Mitt Romney opined in his revealing "47%" remarks.

Takers, not Makers. IT DOESN'T MATTER THAT ROMNEY MADE NOTHING. IT DOESN'T MATTER THAT THE IDIOTS ON FOX JUST TALK and DON'T "MAKE."

THIS is the latest Rovian strategy to get ALL WHITES into the Republican party.

by Anonymousreply 111/10/2012

And on the gun application will there be a button to disclose who you voted for?

But besides that, what is he trying to do start the boycott himself. Try reverse psychology? Does he think he will get more business because people will say...no one tells me I can't buy a gun from there, I'm going in there to get mine.

No, fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 211/10/2012

Second Amendment applies to Democrats, too. He may not LIKE it, but I'm sure there are plenty of gun dealers who don't give a damn who their customers vote for. (My wife, in fact, owns guns, and we are both Democrats).

Free enterprise! Capitalism! All that.

by Anonymousreply 311/10/2012

All lesbians are born with guns, R3. Don't tell Reynolds that, though...

by Anonymousreply 411/10/2012

Well, my father was a law enforcement officer; and my wife is a licensed security officer. While I've never owned a gun, I don't freak out if there's one in the house.

by Anonymousreply 511/10/2012

Boy, every nut job in the world is crawling out of the cracks. You should read the crazies commenting on Yahoo. I tried answering some of them but they got way too scary way too quickly.

by Anonymousreply 611/10/2012

...and the melt downs continue. Who knew SOME straight men could be such damn drama queens?

by Anonymousreply 711/10/2012

Stand still. Can't hit a moving target

by Anonymousreply 811/10/2012

Guns and the death penalty still make America look backwards to the rest of the Western world which took care of these issues long ago.

by Anonymousreply 911/10/2012

And how exactly is he going to know who a person voted for? He is just making a fool of himself.

by Anonymousreply 1011/10/2012

How is he going to know for sure who voted for Obama? People can lie too. Say they voted for Gary Johnson if they don't want to be thought of as a Romney supporter. The funny thing about nutbars like this that think they are being so patriotic, is that their actions are not that of a democracy by a long shot. Thomas Jefferson would weep!

by Anonymousreply 1111/10/2012

He doesn't have to prove who voted for Obama, he's obviously betting on the fact that they will all be outraged enough to boycott his store voluntarily.

by Anonymousreply 1211/10/2012

Uhmmm they're black and Mexican R10. He won't even buzz them in

by Anonymousreply 1311/11/2012

And should he suffer a huge drop in profit, it'll be Obama's fault.

Just imagine, the party of personal responsibility is still blaming others for their shortcomings.

by Anonymousreply 1411/11/2012

But didn't Obama expand gun rights?

This is one of those weird things. Obama guarantees religious institution the right to opt out of covering contraception in their insurance (which they did not have in 28 states) but the repubs play it like the opposite.

He reduces the deficit but they say that he increased it.

So strange....

by Anonymousreply 1511/11/2012

I bet these gun-lovers will be shocked when one of their own gets gunned down by some liberal for daring to enter his or her house without permission.

by Anonymousreply 1611/11/2012

The guy is an arms dealer and has blood on his hands.

by Anonymousreply 1711/11/2012

The devil ryan told her to

by Anonymousreply 1811/14/2012

People think with this resoundingly clear election victory, the nation will have a "Kumbaya moment." We won't. The people who voted against the President are hardcore.

The evil people who ran Romney's campaign, who gave us all those offensive ads, and those crowds of thousands who showed up at the rallies are still around, and they are really angry. You can find that anger in every community.

Before the election, when they thought they had a chance to win, they didn't care so much about our bumper stickers and lawn signs, or our spirited arguments to defend our choice. These are not rational people. These are dangerous people. Take note.

by Anonymousreply 1911/14/2012
Need more help? Click Here.