Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Fate of the Republican Party

When they're done moaning, what happens?

by Anonymousreply 2411/11/2012

don't get the code... the % option is pretend to move to the center and get blown out again by morons at microphones during the next campaign(s)

by Anonymousreply 111/10/2012

I'm thrilled this week, but let's not get too full of ourselves. The Dems won big in 2008, and then got soundly defeated in 2010.

Remember that every election is a fight. We cannot get complacent. The Repugs suffered a setback, but nothing is forever. They will not remain in the background indefinitely.

by Anonymousreply 211/10/2012

I know several lifelong Republicans and unfortunately, a Tea Party member. The party really is divided. Romney lied to both the hard liners and the moderates, telling them he was just placating the other to get the win. It's possible that the ultra conservatives might be willing to put together a third party.

by Anonymousreply 311/10/2012

[quote] It's possible that the ultra conservatives might be willing to put together a third party.

Please. Please. Please. Please. Please.

by Anonymousreply 411/10/2012

What R4 said. I'll take it a step further and suggest the name, "The Christian Government Party".

by Anonymousreply 511/10/2012

Hopefully the party moves to the even more extreme right wing, pushing themselves off the cliff and giving the USA a chance to form an entirely new political party, left of Obamas conservative fiscal policies.

The worst case scenario, is the Republicans look North to copy the Canadian Conservative Party, becoming sneaky and stealthy Conservatives, pushing their right wing fiscal, environmental and social agenda in the backroom, but denying it all in public.

by Anonymousreply 611/10/2012

That's an interesting concept... I hadn't imagined a party left of the Democrats. That's interesting. I wonder if the old Democrats wouldn't wind up folding in the moderate Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 711/10/2012

[quote]The party really is divided. Romney lied to both the hard liners and the moderates, telling them he was just placating the other to get the win.

R3. And they're just discovering this now? At leasst 51 percent of the country knew this ages ago and voted against Romney. It's not like Romney was lying in secret. His lies and fraudulent behavior was right there for all to see since he first ran for the Senate in 1994, the presidency in 2008 and again in 2012.

by Anonymousreply 811/10/2012

[quote]The worst case scenario, is the Republicans look North to copy the Canadian Conservative Party, becoming sneaky and stealthy Conservatives, pushing their right wing fiscal, environmental and social agenda in the backroom, but denying it all in public.

Seems likely to me.

by Anonymousreply 911/10/2012

No they're not just discovering this now R8, they haven't discovered it all. I work with 3 Republicans who often discuss politics at work, one is a gay-friendly moderate, one is an old school social conservative, and one is a gun toting, foaming at the mouth Tea Partier. Somehow, they believe they have something in common and that the Republican party represents them all.

by Anonymousreply 1011/10/2012

They're going to steal more elections by gerrymandering the hell out of every state they can, and then adopting the Nebraska/Maine model of splitting EVs by congressional districts.

We barely avoided this in Ohio last cycle, but the Republicans haven't given up on it. If it had been in place Romney would have gotten 14 of Ohio's 18 EVs. Look for this sort of thing to be proposed in other GOP controlled states.

It wouldn't have made any difference this time, but it could be a real problem for Dems in coming elections.

by Anonymousreply 1111/10/2012

Sorry, 12 of 18 EVs, posted that from memory.

by Anonymousreply 1211/10/2012

The Democratic Party has its very liberal wing, who keep threatening to vote for 3rd party candidates if the leadership ignores them. Most American voters are centrists, liberal on some issues and conservative on others. Still the broad based personal appeal of a candidate makes a big difference. NJ Gov Christie will thus never be president. The factions of the Republican Party are too far apart and even contradictory, if we consider the Libertarians, Christian Right, and those that are pro-military and the survivalists. Would the Repubs try to run a presidential candidate who appeals to one group, and a VP that targets the opposite? Could they find 2 wildly personally popular, scandal-free politicians? I see them spending a lot more money before they revamp their entire party, focus on smaller governmental interference and expenditures, and let each state decide social issues like abortion rights and marriage equality.

by Anonymousreply 1311/10/2012

Elizabeth Warren, Noam Chomsky, Ralf Nader, Micheal Moore.... it could be your time to shine as founders of the New America Party.

by Anonymousreply 1411/10/2012

They will do as they did in 2008 , discuss what they need to change early on and in time revert back to letting their freak flag fly. They are incapable to self reflection and just assume if they nom Rubio it will solve their hispanic problem.

They will pull bullshit like AZ immigration laws, more personhood legislation, and union busting still clueless that those moves helped push women, Ohio, WI and hispanics to the Dems.

2014 won't be a thrashing (less turnout :( ) So they will convince themselves that the bleeding has stopped.

Come primaries South Carolina will put a halt to any moderate not named Bush (Christie, Huntsman etc). So it will be Jeb or Rubio ... the former needing to throw his brother under the bus big time to reassure non republicans he is not the same ... the latter a 'bagger prone to being caught saying something much worse then Romney 47% video

by Anonymousreply 1511/10/2012

The republican party was pronounced dead in '06 and '08. They always come back with a new scheme to bilk the American people, who foolishly buy into it. They won't become moderate. They will just dig their heels in, because that is what they do. If people ever want to see any progress in this country, the coalition of voters who voted for Obama last Tuesday needs to remain in strong and continue to vote. Especially on the state level. Some of the biggest republican bullshit is coming out of the state legislatures.

by Anonymousreply 1611/10/2012

They will brainstorm how they can force the outside world to succumb to their conservative neo-facist platform.

These people will NEVER take a good look at themselves and think 'Oh, WE are the problem!/ Guys we have a serious problem in our party!'.

by Anonymousreply 1711/10/2012

R14, Most of your choices are too liberal for mainstream America, to be elected on a national stage. Don't make the same mistake Libertarians and fringe Republicans do in thinking that "if only the 'right' people got out to vote we'd win."

by Anonymousreply 1811/10/2012

I'm unaffiliated with a party because the Democratic party is not liberal enough for me. I voted the straight Democratic ticket this time for the express purpose of keeping Republicans out of office. The crazy shit they came out with this election was just unbelievable. I think they shot themselves in the foot by giving the ultra conservatives such a prominent voice. I'd like to support more liberal third party candidates, but frankly I'm afraid to for the forseeable future.

by Anonymousreply 1911/10/2012

The whole Republican campaign dumbfounds me to be honest. I get it that a Republican candidate has to appeal to the members of the Republican Party, but even IF he had every single one of them in the bag he still needs a lot more people to vote for him, like the indipendent and undecided voters. And you do not get those votes by talking about diminishing women's rights, talking smack about Obama not being a real US citizen or being a muslim, tell obvious lies that are outed as lies withing hours, etc. The whole campaign turned off so many people that it was a mystery (at least to me) how Romney got that many votes (unless you believe that a lot of these votes were part of voter fraud which was set too low in order to get Romney elected).

I mean for the Republican Party it should have been like: Look guys, he's one of us (a greedy racist douchebag), but he has to pretend to be a moderate in public to get the stupid women folk and the stupid minorities to vote for him, so please don't lose faith and vote for him no matter how he acts in public and believe me, that's all acting!.

by Anonymousreply 2011/10/2012

The future of the vote, and of our country, is about building coalitions. The reason Obama won was that he built a wide coalition of constituents: Latinos, blacks, gays, Asians, young women, etc. the teabaggers also know this, but the reason they have been so successful is that establishment republicans know they will not be able to do anything without the teabagging-base. Look at Boehner's statements since Tuesday; he's been very careful to not say anything to upset the teabaggers, and when anything he said comes close, he immediately walks it back.

This, however, is also the difference between D's and R's.... Democrats will kick the base in the teeth, knowing that they will come back. Republicans fear their base -- with good reason -- and won't dare cross them because teabaggers would rather lose today with the promise of power tomorrow.

That said, if Democrats want to accomplish big things in this term, we must accept and act like the 2014 midterms begin today. Don't close those OFA offices or shut down the apparatus. Begin selecting candidates now. Raise funds now. Hold Obama's feet to the fire.

by Anonymousreply 2111/10/2012

[quote] the Democratic party is not liberal enough for me. I voted the straight Democratic ticket this time for the express purpose of keeping Republicans out of office.

I'm in the same boat. I just *laugh* when right-wingnuts complain about how liberal Obama is. I just wish he was as liberal as they thing he is. He could have really held corrupt wall street's feet to the fire, but he coddled and protected them instead. He could have gotten a much better deal. He could have let the Bush tax cuts lapse, but chose to extend them to the country's detriment.

He's already talking compromise with the GOP on this fiscal cliff nonsense, while they're saying they aren't budging an inch. So the only option is for Obama to give in to their demands.

by Anonymousreply 2211/10/2012

Saying Obama is a Liberal is political framing. He is an fiscal Conservative.

by Anonymousreply 2311/11/2012

My favorite is the "WE WILL secede from the Union because of these Democratic maggots"

And the right-thinking folks have all turned round and said "Jolly good - piss off, you degenerate gun-worshipping, bible-thumping animals..."

by Anonymousreply 2411/11/2012
Need more help? Click Here.