Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

If You Think We’re Less Homophobic Today, You Should See These Pictures From 100 Years Ago

About 100 years B.F. (Before Facebook), guys would have professional pictures taken to celebrate their friendships. And they’d usually be touching. And it was No. Big. Deal. These portraits are beautiful, and they’re great reminders that men’s friendships are just as intense and valuable as women’s.

by Nothing new under the sun!reply 711/10/2012

You hardly ever see that kind of close male friendship anymore. Women have insinuated themselves between men (including gay men, as they will often identify their bff as a woman- straight or lesbian). Too close a friendship now is "suspect".

by Nothing new under the sun!reply 111/10/2012

Unintentionally erotic.

by Nothing new under the sun!reply 211/10/2012

[quote]You hardly ever see that kind of close male friendship anymore. Women have insinuated themselves between men (including gay men, as they will often identify their bff as a woman- straight or lesbian). Too close a friendship now is "suspect".

Excellent! Now misogynists blame women for their own shortcomings in the friendship and intimacy departments. You're responding to the asshole macho culture and blaming women for your reaction? How victimized.

Shouldn't you be directing your venom at Roger Goodell or someone like that?

by Nothing new under the sun!reply 311/10/2012

Two of those pictures look like brothers.

by Nothing new under the sun!reply 411/10/2012

A few of the photos look like brotherly love between brothers but there are others that are very difficult to understand as hetrosexual. Times really have changed so much.

As sexual freedoms for everyone have loosened up, it has clearly made men more inhibited with each other. I guess because nowadays, two men holding hands can only be interpreted as homosexual, that gesture has been denied straight men.

I wonder if that will change in future generations. I hope so, it was sweeter before.

by Nothing new under the sun!reply 511/10/2012

R1 it was never women - homophobia was started by closeted gay men...and religion.

by Nothing new under the sun!reply 611/10/2012

More open male affection doesn't necessarily mean the times were less homophobic.

True that in the present time, men might avoid being photographed like that that for fear of seeming gay. But back then, living as an out gay person was pretty much unheard of, so there was nothing to fear that needed avoiding.

I would guess that many, probably most, men who had sex/love arrangements with other men also married women.

by Nothing new under the sun!reply 711/10/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!