Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why I Won't Wear A Red Poppy By Deidre Hall

I believe that television shows are not a forum for expressing personal religious, social or political views. However, I have not objected when fellow performers have worn red poppy to express their support for war veterans; that's their choice. My choice is NOT to wear a poppy.

Readers should know wearing a red poppy is no longer entirely voluntary. Those who began by offering poppys to performers now resort to extreme tactics in pursuit of their express goal of 100 percent conformity. When performers arrive, individuals who attempt to pin poppys on them accost them. A performer who declines may be accosted at the pre-show, again while waiting backstage and after the show.

Offering these poppys to celebrities was, in my view, a benign and pro-social act. On the other hand, aggressively badgering performers to compel the wearing of poppys is no only demeaning to war veterans and to the desperate need of continued support, but an offense against personal freedom.

By attempting to force 100 percent conformity, these activists are now attempting to make the red poppy a visible litmus test for separating those individuals who empathize with war veterans from those who do not. This is a misguided and dangerous notion.

First, it misguidedly politicizes human tragedy. These red poppys provide a means by which public figures can appear to make a 'politically correct' statement in favor of a cause they do not support.

Second, any attempt to force conformity to a single social agenda attacks the freedom of expression. The extreme activities that resort to harassment to compel actors and actresses to wear these poppys are practicing a '90s brand of McCarthyism – and their behavior is deplorable. Our community was devastated by political extremists in the 1950s and again became a target during the last presidential campaign. It surpasses belief that men and women in the entertainment field would resort to shameful practices that the enemies of artistic freedom have used against us.

Sadly, it falls to some of us who ardently support war veterans and programs to resist these tactics by personal example. Believe me, the easy way out would be to pin the poppy on and keep silent. But I won't, because I don't want these appalling tactics to succeed.

by Anonymousreply 150November 6, 2020 6:03 PM

Easier to take the poppy and throw it away

by Anonymousreply 1November 10, 2012 5:44 PM

Who? Who doesn't want to wear the rrrribbon?

by Anonymousreply 2November 10, 2012 6:11 PM

Source? Link?

by Anonymousreply 3November 10, 2012 6:22 PM

Satan was speaking through her that year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 10, 2012 6:23 PM

LOL love you OP!

by Anonymousreply 5November 10, 2012 7:16 PM

Unlike Deidre Susan Boyle is a proud Poppy Wearer

See link below

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 11, 2012 11:49 AM

Allowing that she skipped her meds, most war veterans were forced to sign-up. Multi-thousands died. Others cameback maimed for life. It won't kill her to wear a poppy for a few hours, and will alienate viewers whose brothers,sons,and husbands who have and are currently in the military.

by Anonymousreply 7November 11, 2012 1:10 PM

She's correct. One is supportive of anything doesn't need to wear something symbolic saying so. To wear the "poppy" is a choice. Remember the AIDS ribbons? Did you have to actually wear one of those ribbons to be truly supportive of wanting a cure over the disease of AIDS?

by Anonymousreply 8November 11, 2012 2:06 PM

Here is everyone's favorite Golden Girl Gwyneth Paltrow wearing one, since she is British you know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 11, 2012 3:02 PM

The cast of 'Harry Potter' all wearing their Poppy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 11, 2012 3:04 PM

It's because of poppies that we are having the war, in Afghanistan at least. Don't tell me the fucking CIA is not running heroin to fuel it's missions. Otherwise they would have destroyed those fields and they have not. So no, I am not pro poppy.

by Anonymousreply 11November 11, 2012 3:07 PM

In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place: and in the sky The larks still bravely singing fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead: Short days ago, We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow, Loved and were loved: and now we lie In Flanders fields!

Take up our quarrel with the foe To you, from failing hands, we throw The torch: be yours to hold it high If ye break faith with us who die, We shall not sleep, though poppies grow In Flanders fields

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 11, 2012 3:07 PM

Daniel Craig with his Poppy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 11, 2012 3:07 PM

Colin Farrell with his Poppy!

by Anonymousreply 14November 11, 2012 3:08 PM

Ooops forgot the link for Colin Farrell

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 11, 2012 3:10 PM

I do a LOT of volunteer work with vets. If I were a big celebrity, I would still do a lot of volunteer work with vets (but find a way to do it without garnering publicity), but if someone who probably never spent a second inside a ward with the guys tried to push some stupid poppy on me,I'd throw it in their face. NO ONE tells me what to do, how I should feel, or think or behave, except g-d. And these fascists with a flower are not G-d.

by Anonymousreply 16November 11, 2012 3:13 PM

Just pin the damn poppy on already. Jeezus.

by Anonymousreply 17November 11, 2012 3:13 PM

Don't wear a poppy, watch a documentary. It's just a fashion statement and it's ego, pure and simple. The best way to honor the war dead are to do it in privacy.

by Anonymousreply 18November 11, 2012 3:14 PM

Hi. I'm the fascist with a flower ranter. I don't mean to put down celebs who choose to wear the poppy. That's their business. But they should wear it because they want to, but because they feel pressured into it.

by Anonymousreply 19November 11, 2012 3:15 PM

If you appear on TV in Britain or Canada during the lead up to Remembrance Day (Nov 11) the broadcaster automatically hands you a poppy to wear on camera. I would imagine if you chose not to wear it, the broadcaster wouldn't insist, but you'd most likely get one hell of a backlash from viewers.

by Anonymousreply 20November 11, 2012 3:15 PM

R20 Deidre says

'By attempting to force 100 percent conformity (on Brit on Canadian TV), these activists are now attempting to make the red poppy a visible litmus test for separating those individuals who empathize with war veterans from those who do not. This is a misguided and dangerous notion.'

by Anonymousreply 21November 11, 2012 3:19 PM

So Deidre, pray tell: what exactly have you been doing to support veterans hmmm.?

Otherwise STFU and wear the poppy and like it, you cunt!

by Anonymousreply 22November 11, 2012 3:20 PM

Calm down R16. No-one is forced to wear one. There maybe a bit of pressure on people on tv but they can remove it.

The people who collect for the poppy appeal are generally ex servicemen and women so well understand the importance of the cause and what the money they raise is used for. I don't wear a poppy but I massively respect its symbolism and the charity behind it.

by Anonymousreply 23November 11, 2012 3:20 PM

R23 see R21 for Deidre's point of view

by Anonymousreply 24November 11, 2012 3:24 PM

'By attempting to force 100 percent conformity "on Brit on Canadian TV), these activists are now attempting to make the red poppy a visible litmus test for separating those individuals who empathize with war veterans from those who do not"

So basically it's DIE, WORTHLESS - we'll send you off to die in pointless wars, but ask us to remember you?????

Begone, worthless....

by Anonymousreply 25November 11, 2012 4:20 PM

Oh for fucks SAKE. Jesus Christ. SHUT UP. I'll wear a poppy because I honor war veterans and ones who died. Why make a huge stink out of a non-issue? Why?

by Anonymousreply 26November 11, 2012 4:29 PM

R26 Deidre says

[quote] any attempt to force conformity to a single social agenda attacks the freedom of expression. The extreme activities that resort to harassment to compel actors and actresses to wear these poppys are practicing a '90s brand of McCarthyism – and their behavior is deplorable. Our community was devastated by political extremists in the 1950s and again became a target during the last presidential campaign. It surpasses belief that men and women in the entertainment field would resort to shameful practices that the enemies of artistic freedom have used against us.

by Anonymousreply 27November 11, 2012 4:31 PM

All she had to say is:

I refuse to wear a red poppy because I'M NOT A CITIZEN OF ANY OF THE COMMONWEALTH REALMS.

by Anonymousreply 28November 11, 2012 4:39 PM

R28 it doesn't matter.

by Anonymousreply 29November 11, 2012 4:41 PM

[quote] Remember the AIDS ribbons? Did you have to actually wear one of those ribbons to be truly supportive of wanting a cure over the disease of AIDS?

Of course I agree that you need not advertise support but I remember the quite literal hue and cry not that long ago when celebrities on TV awards show, etc. did not wear the red ribbon. DL was merciless.

The poppies and ribbons do serve as reminders and tell the world you stand with those afflicted or those who died. So I'd say yes it may be very important to wear them. Some things are not as effective in silence.

by Anonymousreply 30November 11, 2012 4:42 PM

Wow, a lot of Republicans and 'libertarians' on the thread today.

I support Deidre.

by Anonymousreply 31November 11, 2012 4:44 PM

R30 Deidre says she is talking about 'Choice'

by Anonymousreply 32November 11, 2012 4:44 PM

Poppies will make them sleep.

by Anonymousreply 33November 11, 2012 4:47 PM

Deidre needs an anti-depressant.

by Anonymousreply 34November 11, 2012 4:49 PM

R32, I get her point but I think she's talking more about getting attention for herself. If she's so into silence then why isn't she silent about her choice? Oh, maybe because speaking out whether in print or in symbolism is important?

by Anonymousreply 35November 11, 2012 5:03 PM

R31 - the only Republican and Libertarian on this thread is YOU.

I wore a white poppy today because the best friend I ever had died in yet another meaningless war - and when red poppy veterans howled and screamed at me, I told them WHY I wore a white poppy...

by Anonymousreply 36November 11, 2012 5:05 PM

R36 I'm sorry about your friend.

What is the diff between the red and white poppy?

by Anonymousreply 37November 11, 2012 5:07 PM

Thank you, r37 - I haven't stopped crying since I posted. Truly, this planet has been a worse place since he died.

White poppy is pacifist - which right-wingers mistake as "coward"

Except repugs want to see how "cowardly" I am???

by Anonymousreply 38November 11, 2012 5:25 PM

R38 I'm with you. So sorry for your loss.

by Anonymousreply 39November 11, 2012 5:27 PM

Deidre really does NOT know how to pick her battles, does she?

by Anonymousreply 40November 11, 2012 5:28 PM

Electra Woman. Ain't nobody got time for that! You should be lucky the producers brought you back to Salem for a fraction of your old salary cuz no one else hired you.

by Anonymousreply 41November 11, 2012 5:32 PM

she should just eat a poppy seed bagel, unless she's anti-semetic.

by Anonymousreply 42November 11, 2012 6:28 PM

Deidre Hall was actually talking about red AIDS ribbons. The quote in the OP is from a statement she made years ago. The OP (or someone else) has replaced AIDS ribbon with poppy.

The original statement had its own thread here a couple of years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 11, 2012 6:34 PM

They're forcing people out there to wear poopies?

Yum.

by Anonymousreply 44November 11, 2012 6:35 PM

R40 nails it.

by Anonymousreply 45November 11, 2012 6:37 PM

R36's friend died from the embarrassment of knowing R36.

by Anonymousreply 46November 11, 2012 6:39 PM

Why is she such a cunt about it? She's offered the chance to give veterans a lift by merely pinning a poppy to her dress, and it's too much for her?

Christ, what a nasty person she is.

by Anonymousreply 47November 11, 2012 6:51 PM

We just had a squadron of P-51 Mustangs fly over in formation. Hot single prop fighters did much to protect our bombers and battle lines from Axis attack.

In the late 30s, the Brits, the Japanese and the US were all "sharing" similar designs that soon became the Spitfire, the Zero, and the Mustang.

by Anonymousreply 48November 11, 2012 6:58 PM

Yes, R40 does nail it.

She could just have not worn a poppy and kept her mouth shut. Her stance is right in that it's right to have your stance, and it's true the mob mentality slips into everything (DO WHAT WE SAY! IT'S THE HUMAN THING TO DO! DO IT DO IT DO IT!!! THERE"S SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU!!!!!), even actions based on the best motives.

So screw the mob, do what you want, but, Deidre, you just look like a publicity-seeking kook to go on like this.

by Anonymousreply 49November 11, 2012 11:13 PM

[quote] Deidre, you just look like a publicity-seeking kook to go on like this.

Lemon-itis. It's endemic. . .

by Anonymousreply 50November 11, 2012 11:22 PM

Deidre's publicist had AIDS so it's not like she was being insensitive. She'd nursed him through it.

by Anonymousreply 51November 11, 2012 11:38 PM

Deidre sued her former shrink because she felt he didn't help her and wanted her money back.

This was after he died, and she went after the estate.

by Anonymousreply 52November 11, 2012 11:43 PM

Fuck the poppy!

by Anonymousreply 53November 11, 2012 11:45 PM

R52, that story is unique. It belongs in a movie.

by Anonymousreply 54November 11, 2012 11:56 PM

Deidre already made a movie about her life, starring herself:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 12, 2012 12:06 AM

Far too many people in this country see November 11 and 12 as just another day off.

by Anonymousreply 56November 12, 2012 1:36 PM

I agree R56

by Anonymousreply 57November 13, 2012 8:30 PM

Whoa!!! They don't fuck around.

November 12 - Aylesham teenager Linney House arrested after burning poppy picture posted on Facebook

A teenager has been released on bail after being arrested for allegedly posting an offensive comment alongside a picture of a burning poppy on Facebook.

Linney House, 19, from Aylesham, near Canterbury, was quizzed by police yesterday as it emerged his grandfather was a Merchant Navy hero.

Kent Police said they were contacted at about 4pm on Remembrance Sunday and alerted to the image.

The picture showed a Royal British Legion paper poppy being held to a cigarette lighter. A four-letter obscenity was posted above. House, pictured below and whose full name is Linford House, was arrested on suspicion of an offence under the Malicious Communications Act - just hours after an Armistice Day service was held in his village.

Families in his village also told how his grandfather, Ronald House, was hailed as a "hero" in the Merchant Navy.

Cllr Bob Thompson, who runs a boxing gym, said the incident had "stunned" the community and cast "a dark shadow" over the village's Remembrance Day.

He said: "It is such a shame - we had a fantastic ceremony to pay our respects to fallen servicemen.

"The image on the internet has cast a dark shadow over Remembrance Day.

"I don't know the lad who has allegedly done it myself, but I knew his grandfather Ronald House - who was a great bloke."

Ronald House was awarded the Workers' VC in 1954 after he dived into icy water to try and save a sailor near the coast of Newfoundland.

Linney House, who previously worked at the White Hart pub in Canterbury, is said to be a keen sportsman and a member of the Snowdown Colliery Rugby Football Club, where his father Keith is club captain, according to its website.

Chairman Jim Ritson said: "He [Linford House] has always been a very dedicated rugby player and always seemed like a great lad.

"As a club we will be meeting up to discuss the matter and to discuss how we deal with the situation."

The poppy is an international symbol of remembrance for soldiers who have died during wartime.

The arrest came after dozens of services were held across Kent to mark Remembrance Sunday. A statement by police said a 19-year-old had been interviewed by detectives and released on police bail, pending further investigation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 15, 2012 7:26 PM

That time of the year again!

by Anonymousreply 59October 17, 2013 1:43 PM

Holy hell, people, it's a tradition which dates back to after WWI. Veterans would have paper poppies for sale, for a few pennies each, the proceeds going TO veterans, who were not always so well cared for. This is a tempest in a teapot. Can't people even agree that it's a good thing to honor the war dead? They can make a controversy out of ANYthing, if they can do it here. I am heartsick to read all these reports.

by Anonymousreply 60October 17, 2013 3:46 PM

R60 it is about choice

by Anonymousreply 61October 24, 2013 11:37 PM

Angelina Jolie wearing her Red Poppy

This has really divided the entertainment community

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 24, 2013 11:41 PM

Andy Murray with his Red Poppy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 24, 2013 11:43 PM

I wear a white peace poppy, as a Quaker pacifist. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 64October 24, 2013 11:47 PM

What is Hall's damage btw? Wasn't she related to the creator of the soap somehow? Or fucked someone back when she still had looks?

by Anonymousreply 65October 24, 2013 11:47 PM

Helen Mirren wearing her poppy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 24, 2013 11:55 PM

Remembrance Sunday and wearing a poppy is a mark of respect and to give thank for those who died or were wounded to ensure freedom. It's not pro-war, it's not anti-anyone, it's just a reminder that we have freedoms that were dearly bought.

by Anonymousreply 67October 25, 2013 12:00 AM

R67 Deidre says it is about personal freedom. Isn't that what fighting a war is all about?

by Anonymousreply 68October 25, 2013 12:01 AM

R68 There's no law forcing anyone to wear a poppy. Freedom goes in each direction, if she doesn't want to wear a poppy she's free not to. If other people don't like that decision they are free to stop watching her on a TV. That's all there is to it. She's free to complain, so are other people. If she weren't free to complain, *that* would negate the sacrifice all those people made.

by Anonymousreply 69October 25, 2013 2:04 AM

[quote]What is Hall's damage btw?

Look! She just didn't want to wear that fucking ribbon, okay!

by Anonymousreply 70October 25, 2013 2:13 AM

[quote] There's no law forcing anyone to wear a poppy.

Her whole point is this 100% conformity to have EVERYONE appearing on TV wearing one.

It is a litmus test separating those who support the vets and who doesn't. Everyone supports the vets,

But by having this 100% conformity is demeaning to war vets.

by Anonymousreply 71October 25, 2013 1:01 PM

r71 Perhaps if she had kept her mouth shut.....

by Anonymousreply 72October 25, 2013 1:40 PM

I can't believe so many of you fall for the same prank over and over again.

She never commented on poppies, pink ribbons, or any of the other symbols that get used in these jokes.

Two or more decades ago she had some bug up her ass about the red AIDS ribbons that the become de rigueur at every awards of the era. It was ages ago, let it go.

by Anonymousreply 73October 25, 2013 2:05 PM

r73 But Mar, we LIVE for this shit.

by Anonymousreply 74October 25, 2013 3:05 PM

R73 her point is still the same REGARDLESS what type of symbol it is.

This fanatic 100% conformity is an assault to personal freedoms.

It is about ALL SYMBOLS people are FORCED to wear.

by Anonymousreply 75October 25, 2013 3:34 PM

R73 she says

"I believe that television shows are not a forum for expressing personal religious, social or political views."

How is that NOT commenting on Red Poppys today?

by Anonymousreply 76October 25, 2013 3:36 PM

Because, you moron, she didn't make the comment today. She made the comment decades ago. Who knows how she feels now?

This is the kind of idiocy that resulted in Paula Deen being lynched.

by Anonymousreply 77October 27, 2013 6:27 AM

I'd be fine with wearing a poppy if we still had conscription, not otherwise. Nations that bray about how much they love their army don't tend to be that democratic.

And I find it really offensive that soldiers come back injured and end up relying on poppy fundraisers for rehab and support. They were hurt in the service of the state, it's hypocrisy for rehab to depend on charity instead of taxes.

by Anonymousreply 78October 27, 2013 8:16 AM

I have worn the poppy every year since I was a child to honour my grandfather who served with the RCAF in WWII.

by Anonymousreply 79October 27, 2013 8:44 AM

Exactly R78

Dee whole point is that wearing a poppy makes one seem to support a cause, when they privately don't support it at all.

by Anonymousreply 80October 27, 2013 11:16 AM

R77 her point was in ALL symbols in general.

If she feels this way about red ribbons, then should be consistent. She should feel this way about ALL ribbons and symbols.

According to your logic, she doesn't wear red ribbons, but she is okay with other ribbons/symbols.

Which is even worse because she has now singled out one group, AIDS supporters.

She has brought this on herself, by attacking ribbons in general. So she can't have it both ways.

by Anonymousreply 81October 27, 2013 11:22 AM

Joan Collins wearing her red poppy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 28, 2013 6:10 PM

On Monday, let’s wear the red poppy, stand silently, and think for two minutes about women and men who are neither victims nor heroes, but people who have had awful experiences and deserve better.

by Anonymousreply 83November 9, 2013 7:46 PM

R81 is either developmentally disabled or a shit-stirring troll. Or, since he's so stuck on the red rubbon thing, maybe it's AIDS dementia.

[quote]According to your logic, she doesn't wear red ribbons, but she is okay with other ribbons/symbols.

No, cretin, I said nothing of the kind--go back and re-read what you're attempting to reply to. Read it slowly and carefully and if you still need it explained, I'll be happy to oblige.

In the meantime, I would appreciate it if you would stop putting words in my mouth. I'm guessing Hall would appreciate your not lying about her, either.

by Anonymousreply 84November 10, 2013 2:19 AM

Dee's a hero. Those who don't get that hate our freedoms.

by Anonymousreply 85November 10, 2013 2:47 AM

That old dyke is free to not wear poppies, ribbons, whatever. She is also free to deal with the consequences of being a public figure who is taking this position.

Freedom for everyone. What you children seem to want is for her to be free to not wear poppies/ribbons and for everyone else not to be free to comment negatively about it.

Sorry, reality doesn't work that way and it's not going to change to suit you.

by Anonymousreply 86November 10, 2013 3:05 AM

by Anonymousreply 87June 11, 2014 3:14 PM

that time of the year again!

by Anonymousreply 88October 6, 2014 3:36 PM

Soul singer Joss Stone and guitar veteran Jeff Beck have teamed up to record the official poppy appeal single for this year.

The duo have recorded a revamped version of the song No Man's Land (Green Fields Of France), which was originally written by Scottish folk musician Eric Bogle in 1976.

It will be released on November 3, in the week leading up to Remembrance Sunday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89October 23, 2014 8:54 PM

Dee is very brave for taking a stand, she really puts herself out there. Her outspokeness and committment to the truth is a big reason why she never got the big roles.

by Anonymousreply 90October 23, 2014 9:54 PM

I'm a Brit and it can be awkward wearing a poppy if you don't buy so much into all the jingoistic crap, try for pacifist ideals and don't want to be a hypocrite, but still want to support veterans. I wear a white poppy and send some cash to Combat Stress, a non-government aligned charity that deals with PTSD in veterans. But I seem to annoy a great many people by doing this. The white poppy riles people up. Not wearing a red poppy riles people up.

by Anonymousreply 91October 23, 2014 10:03 PM

R91 you agree with Dee?

by Anonymousreply 92October 25, 2014 4:21 PM

R92

That it's a kind of McCarthyism? Yes. I do.

Having said that, feelings run high when you're talking about other people's relatives and friends who may have died or who may be suffering mental trauma post-service. People don't always want to hear that you didn't support the war (whichever war) but you do support the veterans. They don't want to hear it so much that they stop listening at didn't support the war.

So while I'd be inclined to say yes, McCarthyism, I'd also be inclined to say that a bit of forbearance on Dee's part wouldn't go amiss either.

We are (slightly) less jingoistic in the UK though, so perhaps I'm not the right person to comment.

by Anonymousreply 93October 25, 2014 5:00 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94October 29, 2014 2:07 AM

Prince Harry on the Poppy Bus

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95October 30, 2014 1:55 PM

This is still as tired as it was the last 95 times someone trotted this tired meme out.

by Anonymousreply 96October 30, 2014 1:59 PM

This thread needs to get to 100!

by Anonymousreply 97November 10, 2014 12:39 AM

Last day to get traction from this thread until next year.

by Anonymousreply 98November 11, 2014 12:44 PM

R97 OK - 99!

by Anonymousreply 99November 11, 2014 12:46 PM

And 100!

by Anonymousreply 100November 11, 2014 12:46 PM

Thanks for making my dream come true

by Anonymousreply 101November 11, 2014 12:51 PM

I'd never heard of Deidre Hall, I assumed she was some Guardian columnist, but I googled her and it seems she's an American actress. I thought the poppy was just a British thing? American celebrities only wear them when they go on the Graham Norton show or something. And I'm guessing she hasn't been on that.

by Anonymousreply 102November 11, 2014 12:56 PM

Isn't this the bitch who's always writing about how she's not doing something that no one is pressuring her to do?

by Anonymousreply 103November 11, 2014 1:04 PM

Wear red poopy

by Anonymousreply 104November 11, 2014 1:29 PM

R104 not Dee

by Anonymousreply 105November 11, 2014 1:31 PM

r102, Deidre is a soap opera icon in America. Not that this means much in this day and age.

by Anonymousreply 106November 11, 2014 1:33 PM

In Canada we do the poppy thing but its not really a big deal. I haven't worn one in almost twenty years.

by Anonymousreply 107November 11, 2014 10:44 PM

Why should Deirde wear a poppy when the President of the United State won't wear an American Flag pin on his lapel?

by Anonymousreply 108November 11, 2014 11:23 PM

Poppys are now on Hijabs

Link below

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109November 12, 2014 1:09 PM

Diedre, watch it.

We can bring the Salem Strangler back tomorrow, and your bitch ass will never have to worry about wearing a poppy again.

by Anonymousreply 110November 12, 2014 1:39 PM

Its certainly silly and demeaning to the meaning of the poppy to see the dancers on Strictly Come Dancing wearing their glittery poppies on their skimpy costumes as they prance around the floor.

Ditto the boys on One Direction on X Factor - with kids wondering why are they all wearing little paper red flowers ? LOL !

It seemed here in the UK from the third week of October poppies were de riguer on everybody on television.

Just like those Aids ribbons used to be ...

by Anonymousreply 111November 12, 2014 2:10 PM

The tide is turning to Deidre favor!

by Anonymousreply 112November 12, 2014 2:15 PM

New Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn says he wants to wear a WHITE poppy!

by Anonymousreply 113October 9, 2015 2:27 PM

But will she wear a toaster strudel pin at the funeral?

by Anonymousreply 114October 9, 2015 2:32 PM

who knows?

by Anonymousreply 115October 10, 2015 4:22 PM

OP, it's "poppies," not "poppys," unless you are talking about more than one grandfather.

by Anonymousreply 116October 10, 2015 4:33 PM

Deidre is bugfuck crazy. She also happens to be a Class A cunt to boot. Deeva Hall is so full of herself.

by Anonymousreply 117October 10, 2015 4:43 PM

Many people do not recognize a spoof post

by Anonymousreply 118October 10, 2015 4:54 PM

So many people didn't get that this was a joke.

by Anonymousreply 119October 10, 2015 5:02 PM

I was stalked.

by Anonymousreply 120October 10, 2015 6:01 PM

[quote] In Canada we do the poppy thing but its not really a big deal. I haven't worn one in almost twenty years.

You BASTARD !!!!

by Anonymousreply 121October 10, 2015 9:51 PM

R119 Many people know about her refusal to wear a ribbon to an awards ceremony. The Gays Of Days are well aware of her villiany and cuntiness off screen.

by Anonymousreply 122October 10, 2015 11:12 PM

I meant villainy.

by Anonymousreply 123October 10, 2015 11:13 PM

Sienna Miller Slammed For Not Wearing A Poppy On Graham Norton

A source told The Sun: “She was wearing the poppy pin but it was taken off as she went on air as it was pulling on the clothes.”

So far, Miller has not commented on the matter.

What do you think? Should Milled her worn a poppy? Let us know below…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124November 2, 2015 7:33 PM

Five reasons people don't wear poppies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125November 9, 2015 1:26 PM

Why is Dee bitching? She isn't Canadian or British.

by Anonymousreply 126November 9, 2015 1:43 PM

R126 it is called Free Speech

by Anonymousreply 127November 5, 2016 8:33 PM

No one should be wearing puppies but me, PERIOD !!! oh wait you are talking poppies, never mind.

by Anonymousreply 128November 5, 2016 10:23 PM

It is that time of the year again, and Dee Dee Halls still WILL NOT wear a poppy.

by Anonymousreply 129October 27, 2017 10:25 PM

I'm born and raised in the US. My family are Canadian immigrants. I always have worn a poppy for Armistice Day. My Canadian grandfather was a WW1 vet. It's done in his honor. People look at me strange here, but I just explain the history.

I don't care if anyone else wears it. I wear it for myself. I also have a poppy hanging on the mirror of my car. The American Legion gives them out for donations leading up to Memorial Day.

I already ordered my pin for next year, the 100th anniversary of the Armistice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130October 28, 2017 1:00 AM

Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex wearing her Red Poppy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131October 28, 2018 3:22 PM

For those who didn't slog through this whole thread, Hall's original 90s statement was regarding the AIDS ribbon, NOT poppies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132October 28, 2018 4:09 PM

Wonder if Deidre will read her spiel to Don Cherry

by Anonymousreply 133November 11, 2019 12:43 PM

Thank goodness this poppy stuff has not spread to the city where I live.

I saw someone post a picture of a poppy on facebook, but would never have thought it had any significance if not for this thread.

by Anonymousreply 134November 11, 2019 2:01 PM

I felt the same way about flag pins. I remember Obama being excoriated over not always wearing one. It was flag pin patriotism.

by Anonymousreply 135November 11, 2019 2:44 PM

So brave.

by Anonymousreply 136November 11, 2019 2:46 PM

Poppies used to be all over the place here in the U.S. R134, they were sold by veterans on the streets and at local stores everywhere I went until probably about 2000 or maybe the mid 2000s. It's not a matter of spreading to your city because it probably already had years ago and has just died out since.

They're still big in the UK though, it seems.

by Anonymousreply 137November 11, 2019 2:47 PM

It is a well known fact (many people are talking about it) that Deidre Hall refuses to wear a poppy or ribbon of ANY color or persuasion because she is a fiend.

by Anonymousreply 138November 11, 2019 3:02 PM

R137-I remember poppies as a kid, but honestly, I haven't seen people sporting them in the US for decades.

by Anonymousreply 139November 11, 2019 3:03 PM

The last poppy I bought in the US was in Missouri a few days before 9/11. I was driving through a small town and the local police and firefighters were out on a main street intersection selling them at the stoplights.

by Anonymousreply 140November 11, 2019 3:14 PM

r137, I have lived in the US since the 1960s, in the Northeast, New York and now Florida. My family includes a number of military personnel and veterans.

I have never in my life seen poppies.

Maybe it is a west coast thing.

What is is it supposed to mean? Does it commemorate the heroin use of Viet Nam soldiers?

by Anonymousreply 141November 11, 2019 3:22 PM

Its Diedre Hall. Who the fuck cares.

by Anonymousreply 142November 11, 2019 3:36 PM

It's an American Legion thing I think, a fundraiser. The poppies we bought were always made by veterans and came with tags on them explaining what they were for. Ours always looked like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143November 11, 2019 4:21 PM

It;s Deidre!

by Anonymousreply 144November 11, 2019 6:16 PM

I remember when the movie Tommy came out, kids in my school had theories about the red poppies. A lot of them thought it was about blood.

None of us knew it had anything to do with Memorial Day.

by Anonymousreply 145November 11, 2019 6:35 PM

In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow, Loved and were loved, and now we lie In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe: To you from failing hands we throw The torch; be yours to hold it high. If ye break faith with us who die We shall not sleep, though poppies grow In Flanders fields.

by Anonymousreply 146November 11, 2019 6:37 PM

While we're at it, can we ditch the pink ribbons too. Those Komen cows pay themselves way too much and spend lavishly on unneeded things. Not a whole lot left over for actual research, after they've siphoned it off.

There, I said it.

by Anonymousreply 147November 11, 2019 7:02 PM

If that is from Tommy R146, none of us were paying that much attention to the lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 148November 11, 2019 7:05 PM

Red Poppy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149November 11, 2019 7:55 PM

Whole Foods have joined Deidre in her anti-Poppy stance and announced a Poppy Ban by their employee

by Anonymousreply 150November 6, 2020 6:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!