Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why I Won't Wear A Red Poppy By Deidre Hall

I believe that television shows are not a forum for expressing personal religious, social or political views. However, I have not objected when fellow performers have worn red poppy to express their support for war veterans; that's their choice. My choice is NOT to wear a poppy.

Readers should know wearing a red poppy is no longer entirely voluntary. Those who began by offering poppys to performers now resort to extreme tactics in pursuit of their express goal of 100 percent conformity. When performers arrive, individuals who attempt to pin poppys on them accost them. A performer who declines may be accosted at the pre-show, again while waiting backstage and after the show.

Offering these poppys to celebrities was, in my view, a benign and pro-social act. On the other hand, aggressively badgering performers to compel the wearing of poppys is no only demeaning to war veterans and to the desperate need of continued support, but an offense against personal freedom.

By attempting to force 100 percent conformity, these activists are now attempting to make the red poppy a visible litmus test for separating those individuals who empathize with war veterans from those who do not. This is a misguided and dangerous notion.

First, it misguidedly politicizes human tragedy. These red poppys provide a means by which public figures can appear to make a 'politically correct' statement in favor of a cause they do not support.

Second, any attempt to force conformity to a single social agenda attacks the freedom of expression. The extreme activities that resort to harassment to compel actors and actresses to wear these poppys are practicing a '90s brand of McCarthyism – and their behavior is deplorable. Our community was devastated by political extremists in the 1950s and again became a target during the last presidential campaign. It surpasses belief that men and women in the entertainment field would resort to shameful practices that the enemies of artistic freedom have used against us.

Sadly, it falls to some of us who ardently support war veterans and programs to resist these tactics by personal example. Believe me, the easy way out would be to pin the poppy on and keep silent. But I won't, because I don't want these appalling tactics to succeed.

by Anonymousreply 11211/12/2014

Easier to take the poppy and throw it away

by Anonymousreply 111/10/2012

Who? Who doesn't want to wear the rrrribbon?

by Anonymousreply 211/10/2012

Source? Link?

by Anonymousreply 311/10/2012

Satan was speaking through her that year.

by Anonymousreply 411/10/2012

LOL love you OP!

by Anonymousreply 511/10/2012

Unlike Deidre Susan Boyle is a proud Poppy Wearer

See link below

by Anonymousreply 611/11/2012

Allowing that she skipped her meds, most war veterans were forced to sign-up. Multi-thousands died. Others cameback maimed for life. It won't kill her to wear a poppy for a few hours, and will alienate viewers whose brothers,sons,and husbands who have and are currently in the military.

by Anonymousreply 711/11/2012

She's correct. One is supportive of anything doesn't need to wear something symbolic saying so. To wear the "poppy" is a choice. Remember the AIDS ribbons? Did you have to actually wear one of those ribbons to be truly supportive of wanting a cure over the disease of AIDS?

by Anonymousreply 811/11/2012

Here is everyone's favorite Golden Girl Gwyneth Paltrow wearing one, since she is British you know.

by Anonymousreply 911/11/2012

The cast of 'Harry Potter' all wearing their Poppy!

by Anonymousreply 1011/11/2012

It's because of poppies that we are having the war, in Afghanistan at least. Don't tell me the fucking CIA is not running heroin to fuel it's missions. Otherwise they would have destroyed those fields and they have not. So no, I am not pro poppy.

by Anonymousreply 1111/11/2012

In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place: and in the sky The larks still bravely singing fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead: Short days ago, We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow, Loved and were loved: and now we lie In Flanders fields!

Take up our quarrel with the foe To you, from failing hands, we throw The torch: be yours to hold it high If ye break faith with us who die, We shall not sleep, though poppies grow In Flanders fields

by Anonymousreply 1211/11/2012

Daniel Craig with his Poppy!

by Anonymousreply 1311/11/2012

Colin Farrell with his Poppy!

by Anonymousreply 1411/11/2012

Ooops forgot the link for Colin Farrell

by Anonymousreply 1511/11/2012

I do a LOT of volunteer work with vets. If I were a big celebrity, I would still do a lot of volunteer work with vets (but find a way to do it without garnering publicity), but if someone who probably never spent a second inside a ward with the guys tried to push some stupid poppy on me,I'd throw it in their face. NO ONE tells me what to do, how I should feel, or think or behave, except g-d. And these fascists with a flower are not G-d.

by Anonymousreply 1611/11/2012

Just pin the damn poppy on already. Jeezus.

by Anonymousreply 1711/11/2012

Don't wear a poppy, watch a documentary. It's just a fashion statement and it's ego, pure and simple. The best way to honor the war dead are to do it in privacy.

by Anonymousreply 1811/11/2012

Hi. I'm the fascist with a flower ranter. I don't mean to put down celebs who choose to wear the poppy. That's their business. But they should wear it because they want to, but because they feel pressured into it.

by Anonymousreply 1911/11/2012

If you appear on TV in Britain or Canada during the lead up to Remembrance Day (Nov 11) the broadcaster automatically hands you a poppy to wear on camera. I would imagine if you chose not to wear it, the broadcaster wouldn't insist, but you'd most likely get one hell of a backlash from viewers.

by Anonymousreply 2011/11/2012

R20 Deidre says

'By attempting to force 100 percent conformity (on Brit on Canadian TV), these activists are now attempting to make the red poppy a visible litmus test for separating those individuals who empathize with war veterans from those who do not. This is a misguided and dangerous notion.'

by Anonymousreply 2111/11/2012

So Deidre, pray tell: what exactly have you been doing to support veterans hmmm.?

Otherwise STFU and wear the poppy and like it, you cunt!

by Anonymousreply 2211/11/2012

Calm down R16. No-one is forced to wear one. There maybe a bit of pressure on people on tv but they can remove it.

The people who collect for the poppy appeal are generally ex servicemen and women so well understand the importance of the cause and what the money they raise is used for. I don't wear a poppy but I massively respect its symbolism and the charity behind it.

by Anonymousreply 2311/11/2012

R23 see R21 for Deidre's point of view

by Anonymousreply 2411/11/2012

'By attempting to force 100 percent conformity "on Brit on Canadian TV), these activists are now attempting to make the red poppy a visible litmus test for separating those individuals who empathize with war veterans from those who do not"

So basically it's DIE, WORTHLESS - we'll send you off to die in pointless wars, but ask us to remember you?????

Begone, worthless....

by Anonymousreply 2511/11/2012

Oh for fucks SAKE. Jesus Christ. SHUT UP. I'll wear a poppy because I honor war veterans and ones who died. Why make a huge stink out of a non-issue? Why?

by Anonymousreply 2611/11/2012

R26 Deidre says

[quote] any attempt to force conformity to a single social agenda attacks the freedom of expression. The extreme activities that resort to harassment to compel actors and actresses to wear these poppys are practicing a '90s brand of McCarthyism – and their behavior is deplorable. Our community was devastated by political extremists in the 1950s and again became a target during the last presidential campaign. It surpasses belief that men and women in the entertainment field would resort to shameful practices that the enemies of artistic freedom have used against us.

by Anonymousreply 2711/11/2012

All she had to say is:

I refuse to wear a red poppy because I'M NOT A CITIZEN OF ANY OF THE COMMONWEALTH REALMS.

by Anonymousreply 2811/11/2012

R28 it doesn't matter.

by Anonymousreply 2911/11/2012

[quote] Remember the AIDS ribbons? Did you have to actually wear one of those ribbons to be truly supportive of wanting a cure over the disease of AIDS?

Of course I agree that you need not advertise support but I remember the quite literal hue and cry not that long ago when celebrities on TV awards show, etc. did not wear the red ribbon. DL was merciless.

The poppies and ribbons do serve as reminders and tell the world you stand with those afflicted or those who died. So I'd say yes it may be very important to wear them. Some things are not as effective in silence.

by Anonymousreply 3011/11/2012

Wow, a lot of Republicans and 'libertarians' on the thread today.

I support Deidre.

by Anonymousreply 3111/11/2012

R30 Deidre says she is talking about 'Choice'

by Anonymousreply 3211/11/2012

Poppies will make them sleep.

by Anonymousreply 3311/11/2012

Deidre needs an anti-depressant.

by Anonymousreply 3411/11/2012

R32, I get her point but I think she's talking more about getting attention for herself. If she's so into silence then why isn't she silent about her choice? Oh, maybe because speaking out whether in print or in symbolism is important?

by Anonymousreply 3511/11/2012

R31 - the only Republican and Libertarian on this thread is YOU.

I wore a white poppy today because the best friend I ever had died in yet another meaningless war - and when red poppy veterans howled and screamed at me, I told them WHY I wore a white poppy...

by Anonymousreply 3611/11/2012

R36 I'm sorry about your friend.

What is the diff between the red and white poppy?

by Anonymousreply 3711/11/2012

Thank you, r37 - I haven't stopped crying since I posted. Truly, this planet has been a worse place since he died.

White poppy is pacifist - which right-wingers mistake as "coward"

Except repugs want to see how "cowardly" I am???

by Anonymousreply 3811/11/2012

R38 I'm with you. So sorry for your loss.

by Anonymousreply 3911/11/2012

Deidre really does NOT know how to pick her battles, does she?

by Anonymousreply 4011/11/2012

Electra Woman. Ain't nobody got time for that! You should be lucky the producers brought you back to Salem for a fraction of your old salary cuz no one else hired you.

by Anonymousreply 4111/11/2012

she should just eat a poppy seed bagel, unless she's anti-semetic.

by Anonymousreply 4211/11/2012

Deidre Hall was actually talking about red AIDS ribbons. The quote in the OP is from a statement she made years ago. The OP (or someone else) has replaced AIDS ribbon with poppy.

The original statement had its own thread here a couple of years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4311/11/2012

They're forcing people out there to wear poopies?

Yum.

by Anonymousreply 4411/11/2012

R40 nails it.

by Anonymousreply 4511/11/2012

R36's friend died from the embarrassment of knowing R36.

by Anonymousreply 4611/11/2012

Why is she such a cunt about it? She's offered the chance to give veterans a lift by merely pinning a poppy to her dress, and it's too much for her?

Christ, what a nasty person she is.

by Anonymousreply 4711/11/2012

We just had a squadron of P-51 Mustangs fly over in formation. Hot single prop fighters did much to protect our bombers and battle lines from Axis attack.

In the late 30s, the Brits, the Japanese and the US were all "sharing" similar designs that soon became the Spitfire, the Zero, and the Mustang.

by Anonymousreply 4811/11/2012

Yes, R40 does nail it.

She could just have not worn a poppy and kept her mouth shut. Her stance is right in that it's right to have your stance, and it's true the mob mentality slips into everything (DO WHAT WE SAY! IT'S THE HUMAN THING TO DO! DO IT DO IT DO IT!!! THERE"S SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU!!!!!), even actions based on the best motives.

So screw the mob, do what you want, but, Deidre, you just look like a publicity-seeking kook to go on like this.

by Anonymousreply 4911/11/2012

[quote] Deidre, you just look like a publicity-seeking kook to go on like this.

Lemon-itis. It's endemic. . .

by Anonymousreply 5011/11/2012

Deidre's publicist had AIDS so it's not like she was being insensitive. She'd nursed him through it.

by Anonymousreply 5111/11/2012

Deidre sued her former shrink because she felt he didn't help her and wanted her money back.

This was after he died, and she went after the estate.

by Anonymousreply 5211/11/2012

Fuck the poppy!

by Anonymousreply 5311/11/2012

R52, that story is unique. It belongs in a movie.

by Anonymousreply 5411/11/2012

Deidre already made a movie about her life, starring herself:

by Anonymousreply 5511/11/2012

Far too many people in this country see November 11 and 12 as just another day off.

by Anonymousreply 5611/12/2012

I agree R56

by Anonymousreply 5711/13/2012

Whoa!!! They don't fuck around.

November 12 - Aylesham teenager Linney House arrested after burning poppy picture posted on Facebook

A teenager has been released on bail after being arrested for allegedly posting an offensive comment alongside a picture of a burning poppy on Facebook.

Linney House, 19, from Aylesham, near Canterbury, was quizzed by police yesterday as it emerged his grandfather was a Merchant Navy hero.

Kent Police said they were contacted at about 4pm on Remembrance Sunday and alerted to the image.

The picture showed a Royal British Legion paper poppy being held to a cigarette lighter. A four-letter obscenity was posted above. House, pictured below and whose full name is Linford House, was arrested on suspicion of an offence under the Malicious Communications Act - just hours after an Armistice Day service was held in his village.

Families in his village also told how his grandfather, Ronald House, was hailed as a "hero" in the Merchant Navy.

Cllr Bob Thompson, who runs a boxing gym, said the incident had "stunned" the community and cast "a dark shadow" over the village's Remembrance Day.

He said: "It is such a shame - we had a fantastic ceremony to pay our respects to fallen servicemen.

"The image on the internet has cast a dark shadow over Remembrance Day.

"I don't know the lad who has allegedly done it myself, but I knew his grandfather Ronald House - who was a great bloke."

Ronald House was awarded the Workers' VC in 1954 after he dived into icy water to try and save a sailor near the coast of Newfoundland.

Linney House, who previously worked at the White Hart pub in Canterbury, is said to be a keen sportsman and a member of the Snowdown Colliery Rugby Football Club, where his father Keith is club captain, according to its website.

Chairman Jim Ritson said: "He [Linford House] has always been a very dedicated rugby player and always seemed like a great lad.

"As a club we will be meeting up to discuss the matter and to discuss how we deal with the situation."

The poppy is an international symbol of remembrance for soldiers who have died during wartime.

The arrest came after dozens of services were held across Kent to mark Remembrance Sunday. A statement by police said a 19-year-old had been interviewed by detectives and released on police bail, pending further investigation.

by Anonymousreply 5811/15/2012

That time of the year again!

by Anonymousreply 5910/17/2013

Holy hell, people, it's a tradition which dates back to after WWI. Veterans would have paper poppies for sale, for a few pennies each, the proceeds going TO veterans, who were not always so well cared for. This is a tempest in a teapot. Can't people even agree that it's a good thing to honor the war dead? They can make a controversy out of ANYthing, if they can do it here. I am heartsick to read all these reports.

by Anonymousreply 6010/17/2013

Angelina Jolie wearing her Red Poppy

This has really divided the entertainment community

by Anonymousreply 6210/24/2013

Andy Murray with his Red Poppy

by Anonymousreply 6310/24/2013

I wear a white peace poppy, as a Quaker pacifist. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 6410/24/2013

What is Hall's damage btw? Wasn't she related to the creator of the soap somehow? Or fucked someone back when she still had looks?

by Anonymousreply 6510/24/2013

Helen Mirren wearing her poppy!

by Anonymousreply 6610/24/2013

Remembrance Sunday and wearing a poppy is a mark of respect and to give thank for those who died or were wounded to ensure freedom. It's not pro-war, it's not anti-anyone, it's just a reminder that we have freedoms that were dearly bought.

by Anonymousreply 6710/24/2013

r71 Perhaps if she had kept her mouth shut.....

by Anonymousreply 7210/25/2013

r73 But Mar, we LIVE for this shit.

by Anonymousreply 7410/25/2013

R73 she says

"I believe that television shows are not a forum for expressing personal religious, social or political views."

How is that NOT commenting on Red Poppys today?

by Anonymousreply 7610/25/2013

I'd be fine with wearing a poppy if we still had conscription, not otherwise. Nations that bray about how much they love their army don't tend to be that democratic.

And I find it really offensive that soldiers come back injured and end up relying on poppy fundraisers for rehab and support. They were hurt in the service of the state, it's hypocrisy for rehab to depend on charity instead of taxes.

by Anonymousreply 7810/27/2013

I have worn the poppy every year since I was a child to honour my grandfather who served with the RCAF in WWII.

by Anonymousreply 7910/27/2013

Exactly R78

Dee whole point is that wearing a poppy makes one seem to support a cause, when they privately don't support it at all.

by Anonymousreply 8010/27/2013

R77 her point was in ALL symbols in general.

If she feels this way about red ribbons, then should be consistent. She should feel this way about ALL ribbons and symbols.

According to your logic, she doesn't wear red ribbons, but she is okay with other ribbons/symbols.

Which is even worse because she has now singled out one group, AIDS supporters.

She has brought this on herself, by attacking ribbons in general. So she can't have it both ways.

by Anonymousreply 8110/27/2013

Joan Collins wearing her red poppy

by Anonymousreply 8210/28/2013

That old dyke is free to not wear poppies, ribbons, whatever. She is also free to deal with the consequences of being a public figure who is taking this position.

Freedom for everyone. What you children seem to want is for her to be free to not wear poppies/ribbons and for everyone else not to be free to comment negatively about it.

Sorry, reality doesn't work that way and it's not going to change to suit you.

by Anonymousreply 8611/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 8706/11/2014

that time of the year again!

by Anonymousreply 8810/06/2014

Soul singer Joss Stone and guitar veteran Jeff Beck have teamed up to record the official poppy appeal single for this year.

The duo have recorded a revamped version of the song No Man's Land (Green Fields Of France), which was originally written by Scottish folk musician Eric Bogle in 1976.

It will be released on November 3, in the week leading up to Remembrance Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 8910/23/2014

Dee is very brave for taking a stand, she really puts herself out there. Her outspokeness and committment to the truth is a big reason why she never got the big roles.

by Anonymousreply 9010/23/2014

I'm a Brit and it can be awkward wearing a poppy if you don't buy so much into all the jingoistic crap, try for pacifist ideals and don't want to be a hypocrite, but still want to support veterans. I wear a white poppy and send some cash to Combat Stress, a non-government aligned charity that deals with PTSD in veterans. But I seem to annoy a great many people by doing this. The white poppy riles people up. Not wearing a red poppy riles people up.

by Anonymousreply 9110/23/2014

R91 you agree with Dee?

by Anonymousreply 9210/25/2014

R92

That it's a kind of McCarthyism? Yes. I do.

Having said that, feelings run high when you're talking about other people's relatives and friends who may have died or who may be suffering mental trauma post-service. People don't always want to hear that you didn't support the war (whichever war) but you do support the veterans. They don't want to hear it so much that they stop listening at didn't support the war.

So while I'd be inclined to say yes, McCarthyism, I'd also be inclined to say that a bit of forbearance on Dee's part wouldn't go amiss either.

We are (slightly) less jingoistic in the UK though, so perhaps I'm not the right person to comment.

by Anonymousreply 9310/25/2014

John Kerry wearing his Red Poppy

by Anonymousreply 9410/28/2014

Prince Harry on the Poppy Bus

by Anonymousreply 9510/30/2014

This is still as tired as it was the last 95 times someone trotted this tired meme out.

by Anonymousreply 9610/30/2014

This thread needs to get to 100!

by Anonymousreply 9711/09/2014

Last day to get traction from this thread until next year.

by Anonymousreply 9811/11/2014

R97 OK - 99!

by Anonymousreply 9911/11/2014

And 100!

by Anonymousreply 10011/11/2014

Thanks for making my dream come true

by Anonymousreply 10111/11/2014

I'd never heard of Deidre Hall, I assumed she was some Guardian columnist, but I googled her and it seems she's an American actress. I thought the poppy was just a British thing? American celebrities only wear them when they go on the Graham Norton show or something. And I'm guessing she hasn't been on that.

by Anonymousreply 10211/11/2014

Isn't this the bitch who's always writing about how she's not doing something that no one is pressuring her to do?

by Anonymousreply 10311/11/2014

Wear red poopy

by Anonymousreply 10411/11/2014

R104 not Dee

by Anonymousreply 10511/11/2014

r102, Deidre is a soap opera icon in America. Not that this means much in this day and age.

by Anonymousreply 10611/11/2014

In Canada we do the poppy thing but its not really a big deal. I haven't worn one in almost twenty years.

by Anonymousreply 10711/11/2014

Why should Deirde wear a poppy when the President of the United State won't wear an American Flag pin on his lapel?

by Anonymousreply 10811/11/2014

Poppys are now on Hijabs

Link below

by Anonymousreply 10911/12/2014

Diedre, watch it.

We can bring the Salem Strangler back tomorrow, and your bitch ass will never have to worry about wearing a poppy again.

by Anonymousreply 11011/12/2014

Its certainly silly and demeaning to the meaning of the poppy to see the dancers on Strictly Come Dancing wearing their glittery poppies on their skimpy costumes as they prance around the floor.

Ditto the boys on One Direction on X Factor - with kids wondering why are they all wearing little paper red flowers ? LOL !

It seemed here in the UK from the third week of October poppies were de riguer on everybody on television.

Just like those Aids ribbons used to be ...

by Anonymousreply 11111/12/2014

The tide is turning to Deidre favor!

by Anonymousreply 11211/12/2014
Need more help? Click Here.