Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Blacks more supportive of gay marriage than whites

So much for the DataLounge myth that blacks are the main ones opposing gay marriage.

Black Support for Gay Marriage Rising

One of the striking results in the 2012 exit polls was the support for legalizing gay marriage among black voters. In the national exit poll interviewing conducted by Edison Research on behalf of the NEP, black voters favored their state legally recognizing same-sex marriage by a 51% to 41% margin, while among whites, 47% favored and 49% opposed this idea.

by Anonymousreply 2711/11/2012

Of course they are more supportive. They know all about oppression.

by Anonymousreply 111/09/2012

It has always been the Country Music rednecks who were the most anti-gay.

White, American born males.

by Anonymousreply 211/10/2012

This a trend that started when Obama embraced same-sex marriage. It was a powerful thing for him to do and the effects were real. He really has done so much for gay citizens, amazes me 23% of gay voters wouldn't support him.

by Anonymousreply 311/10/2012

23%, just means Gay Evangelicals, Mormons, Jehovahs Witnesses, Scared Catholics, Greedy rich SOBs and Scientologists. There are a lot of them in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 411/10/2012

White males with wives and girlfriends who fuck guys on the side are the ones who scream "faggot" the loudest. And, they are the ones that Datalounge lusts after the most. Homophobia damages all it seems.

by Anonymousreply 511/10/2012

Jehovah's witnesses don't vote. They won't take part in military either, in any capacity.

by Anonymousreply 611/10/2012

The overwelmingly black areas in Maryland, Prince Georges county and Baltimore city did support marriage equality, albeit narrowly.

by Anonymousreply 711/10/2012

That 23% are likely staunch gay/lesbian Republicans and face the same problems with a lack of multicultural outreach and representation that their entire party faces. It's no wonder they continue to have their heads in the sand about their insignificance within the Republican party...endorsing Mitt Romney. Now, where might our beloved Dan Savage be with his report on Black voters voting in favor of same-sex marriage??? I'll be waiting patiently.

by Anonymousreply 811/10/2012

Black men are on the down low. They could vote in secrecy and support their gay brothers under the skin.

by Anonymousreply 911/10/2012

Thank Obama for making it OK to say so.

by Anonymousreply 1011/10/2012

Oh, and what about Kristen Chenoweth, huh? If you're going to criticize black people, you can't just ignore Kristen Chenoweth!

by Anonymousreply 1211/10/2012

You'd be surprised how many white married men respond to craigslist and adam4adam posts wanting black guys.

by Anonymousreply 1311/10/2012

[quote]Consistently over the past decade, blacks have been far less supportive of legalizing gay marriage than whites. In 2011, for example, 49% of whites favored legalizing gay marriage, compared with just 36% of blacks.

Reading is not your strong suit, is it?

by Anonymousreply 1411/10/2012

R13, they put "married" in their ad to apark more'd be surprised how many gay men do this and their responses increase substantially.

Pathetic isn't it? It's tough to mix integrity with gay men though.

by Anonymousreply 1511/10/2012

Ah, yes r13. Men trying to play out the famous "BBC" fantasy myth. Both parties involved in that entire scenario are what I call the seasoned pros of perpetual stereotypes.

by Anonymousreply 1611/10/2012

[quote] Reading is not your strong suit, is it?

R14, you're the idiot who can't read. Yes, the *2011* statistics showed that whites were more supportive of gay marriage than blacks. But the EXIT POLLS TAKEN ON ELECTION DAY THIS WEEK showed the reverse: that blacks were now more supportive than whites. Read my post again and look at the link again.

by Anonymousreply 1711/10/2012

I noticed that gay marriage won by nearly 15 points in Baltimore City.

by Anonymousreply 1811/10/2012

I appreciate Obama supporting gay marriage but it's too bad he did it after his hand was forced by Joe Biden. If he'd publicly supported gay marriage a lot sooner North Carolina might not have voted to pass the amendment that banned gay marriage. A lot of the opposition to gay marriage came from within the black community that did not see same-sex marriage as a civil rights issue, but as a lifestyle choice they didn't agree with. Blacks in North Carolina voted 2 to 1 to define marriage as between a man and a woman.

As it turned out Obama's support for gay marriage did not undermine his support among blacks and wasn't even an issue in the presidential race.

by Anonymousreply 1911/11/2012

Stop blaming him for North Carolina's backwardness r19. He didn't even win the state. The point of this thread is, blacks are now more supportive of gay marriage than whites, rendering the endless DL threads about black communal homophobia, obsolete. But I agree Obama should be credited with this shift.

by Anonymousreply 2011/11/2012

r17 it is not a MYTH if it has been true for a fucking decade+. One day is ONLY one day, every day before that it was different, and again, therefore not a myth.

But don't let me stop you fanning the race flames. I know that's what you really want to do.

by Anonymousreply 2111/11/2012

Even my aunt in PG County who referred to me as a faggot behind my back voted for the referendum in Maryland.

by Anonymousreply 2211/11/2012

Ben Jealous and The NAACP (and many civil rights leaders and pastors) deserve a lot of credit for the Maryland victory. They worked very hard for marriage equality in that state.

by Anonymousreply 2311/11/2012

Don't tell Dan Savage.

by Anonymousreply 2411/11/2012

I am not surprised that black people are more supportive of gay marriage than white people. African American churches generally have been more inclusive of LGBT members than white Evangelical churches. There was a Gallup poll in 1993 showed that 63% of blacks thought that gays should openly serve in the military, and only 42% of whites thought gays should. This is not just a sudden boost of support due to Obama. Black people have always been more accepting of gays than white people.

by Anonymousreply 2511/11/2012

[quote] So much for the DataLounge myth that blacks are the main ones opposing gay marriage.

Hardly a myth, OP. Did you read the article that you linked to? It says says that blacks have consistently been far less supportive of gay marriage than whites. You do no one a service by pretending otherwise.

[quote] Consistently over the past decade, blacks have been far less supportive of legalizing gay marriage than whites. In 2011, for example, 49% of whites favored legalizing gay marriage, compared with just 36% of blacks.

I think the shift in attitudes among blacks from 2011 to November 2012 has to be due in large part to Obama throwing his support behind marriage equality this year.

by Anonymousreply 2611/11/2012

I think it was the realization that ¨together we stand¨, ¨divided we fall¨, that the Republicans so succesfully achieved for years.

All minorities, even tho they may have their differences, should remain united and learn to compromise.

by Anonymousreply 2711/11/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!