Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Papa John's CEO John Schnatter Says Company Will Reduce Workers' Hours In Response To Obamacare

Time to put this shitstain out of business

In the wake of President Obama's reelection, one CEO is doubling down on his criticisms of Obamacare.

Papa John’s CEO John Schnatter said he plans on passing the costs of health care reform to his business onto his workers. Schnatter said he will likely reduce workers’ hours, as a result of President Obama's reelection, the Naples News reports. Schnatter made headlines over the summer when he told shareholders that the cost of a Papa John’s pizza will increase by between 11 and 14 cents due to Obamacare.

"I got in a bunch of trouble for this," he said, referring to the comments he made in August, according to Naples News. "That's what you do, is you pass on costs. Unfortunately, I don't think people know what they're going to pay for this."

Schnatter went on to say he's neither in support of, nor against the Affordable Care Act, even admitting that "the good news is 100 percent of the population is going to have health insurance.” But he’s not the only one in the chain restaurant industry to admit that workers hours may be reduced, since Obamacare mandates that only employees that work more than 30 hours per week are covered under their employers health insurance plan. For example, Darden restaurants, the parent company of Olive Garden and Red Lobster, has already experimented with reducing workers hours in anticipation of the legislation.

Others have responded to the added costs of Obamacare more harshly, including Applebee's which has said it won’t hire new workers because of the law. Just this week, a Georgia business owner also claimed he cut employees due to Obamacare and in fact had specifically laid off those who he thought had voted for President Obama.

by Anonymousreply 22311/25/2012

They do realize they sound like a bunch of pussies, the old "Obama made me screw you over because I never could have learned to screw you over by myself."

It's pizza, Papa. There are plenty of places to buy pizza. Even the cheap crap you make.

by Anonymousreply 211/09/2012

I will never eat there again.

by Anonymousreply 311/09/2012

Shitty politics. Shitty pizza. Nough' said.

by Anonymousreply 411/09/2012

This is an excellent opportunity for any small local pizza business. I hope some of them take advantage of it.

by Anonymousreply 511/09/2012

MSNBC is reporting that douche bag coal mine owner (the one who made his workers be unpaid props in an Romney photo op) is doing the same thing. He fired a bunch of workers and said it's because of the election.

by Anonymousreply 611/09/2012

Aren't they mostly franchised? If so, he would would have nothing to say about the people employed by the franchisees. Only in the corporate HQ or any company-owned stores.

by Anonymousreply 711/09/2012

Great way to run a business, "Papa" John. He must have as great a business sense as Donald Trump.

by Anonymousreply 811/09/2012

I wouldn't eat at any of these shitholes, so sadly I'm deprived of the ability to withdraw my business.

by Anonymousreply 911/09/2012

Just wait until his employees start pissing in his pizza sauce.

by Anonymousreply 1011/09/2012

It tastes like they already do.

by Anonymousreply 1111/09/2012

It will be very easy to boycott Papa John's. The nearest one is about 50 miles away.

by Anonymousreply 1211/09/2012

I already gave up Chick Fil A (and Dominos Pizza), and now I'm ready to give up Papa Johns.

by Anonymousreply 1311/09/2012

I kind of wish they didn't make the worst pizza sold in America, so that I could feel that by not buying their sugary crap I was making a statement.

by Anonymousreply 1411/09/2012

The hate-monger who owned Dominos sold it about ten years ago.

by Anonymousreply 1511/09/2012

What R14 said. I haven't had Papa Johns in about seven or eight years. The only memory I have of it is how [italic]sweet[/italic] it is. They definitely put sugar in the sauce, but I've also read they put it in the dough. Who would ever think of that? Why?!

by Anonymousreply 1611/09/2012

[quote]Schnatter made headlines over the summer when he told shareholders that the cost of a Papa John’s pizza will increase by between 11 and 14 cents due to Obamacare.

This is a bad thing? The CEO goes on record as saying that the impact of providing health insurance to the citizens of the United States of America will amount to 10 to 14 cents on a pizza?

I don't get it. To me that's an endorsement, and Obama should run ads about it.

by Anonymousreply 1711/09/2012

R16, many yeast doughs have a small amount of sugar to aid the yeast in rising.

by Anonymousreply 1811/09/2012

I never order Papa John's because it tastes worse than Domino's and that's really saying something. The sauce they use is too sugary.

Now that I know the CEO is a GOP scumfuck, not only will I continue to not eat their shitty pizza but I will go out of my way to make sure OTHERS don't eat their shitty pizza either.

They're dead to me like Domino's, Wendy's and Chick-fil-A.

by Anonymousreply 1911/09/2012

I would gladly pay 14 cents more for a pizza so the people who are doing the actual work have health insurance.

by Anonymousreply 2011/09/2012

[quote]They're dead to me like Domino's,

Don't forget Japan, Germany, and Italy.

by Anonymousreply 2111/09/2012

Isn't Peyton Manning a fucking spokesperson?

Like if he needs more thousands in his pockets?

I never buy the stuff. It gave us the runs, the only time we bought it.

by Anonymousreply 2211/09/2012

MSNBC is reporting that douche bag coal mine owner (the one who made his workers be unpaid props in an Romney photo op) is doing the same thing. He fired a bunch of workers and said it's because of the election.

by Anonymousreply 2311/09/2012

Papa John's employees who've been fired can't even find new jobs making pizza cuz they have no prior experience.

by Anonymousreply 2411/09/2012

[quote] MSNBC is reporting that douche bag coal mine owner (the one who made his workers be unpaid props in an Romney photo op) is doing the same thing. He fired a bunch of workers and said it's because of the election.

You must remember this guy. He owns the coal mine that had such unsafe and dangerous working conditions they actually caused an earthquake where a lot of coal miners were trapped and died. All the scientific experts said it was an earthquake and he caused it with the dangerous drilling. He refused, ABSOLUTELY REFUSED to believe an earthquake happened. He argued with all the experts and said they didn't know what they were talking about. He doesn't believe in science (big suprise). He didn't want any advice from the experts on how to get the trapped men out and spent days arguing that the disaster wasn't his fault. While he was doing that, all the men ended up dying awful deaths. He's being sued by all the families of the minors he's responsible for getting killed.

He's been fined and had some of his mines shut down because he is so cheap and the working conditions are so dangerous. I'd much rather be unemployed than killed because my millionaire boss was cheap and made me work in dangerous life threatening conditions just so he could make a bigger profit

by Anonymousreply 2511/09/2012

[quote]I'd much rather be unemployed than killed because my millionaire boss was cheap and made me work in dangerous life threatening conditions just so he could make a bigger profit

Somehow I don't believe that's the reason they're working there.

by Anonymousreply 2611/09/2012

This CEO drilled my hole on the beach in NW Fla back in 1992.

Huge cock

by Anonymousreply 2711/09/2012

I ate one once and did not want another.Perhaps Pappa John, who I think he is sort of cute and fuckable, doesn't know that the pizza business is pretty competitive. Shoot yourself in the nuts Pappa

by Anonymousreply 2811/10/2012

Yes, r18' but normal pizzas have fewer than four cups of sugar in the sauce.

by Anonymousreply 2911/10/2012

Please...stop talking about yeast.

by Anonymousreply 3011/10/2012

Holy Shit is their franchisees going to be upset. One just opened last week about 3 blocks from my house - and we're in a very very liberal area.

They'll never make it now. What an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 3111/10/2012

14 fucking cents?! That's only a tenth of the marketing costs per pizza .

Food cost. = 30% Marketing. = 10% Labor = 10% Brick & mortar & utils = 10% Profit = 30%

by Anonymousreply 3211/10/2012

Hopefully, they'll get enough bad PR from this.

by Anonymousreply 3311/10/2012

So the story is Schnatter worked for Pizza Hut, but thought he could make better pizzas. We kept hearing that over and over in the commercials, but the fact is Pizza Hut's pizza, though overpriced, is much tastier. I don't know how Papa Johns took off and made that him rich, I never liked their pizza at all. Didn't know he was a Repug though until now.

by Anonymousreply 3411/10/2012

Waaa, why do I have to pay my employees at all? It was my idea to make sugar pizzas, I deserve all the money, every last penny. Filthy rich isn't filthy enough, I want more, more, more!

by Anonymousreply 3511/10/2012

I really want to throw a dollar in this asshole's face and yell "Here. This covers 6 to 10 of your employees."

by Anonymousreply 3611/10/2012

they all need to file for unemployment...an administrative job can reverse all the terminations and fine him too.

by Anonymousreply 3711/10/2012

I would eat a pizza every day but decided I wanted to live instead. I did eat a Pappa John's once and did not want another. Perhaps if Pappa did not pay Manning big bucks for a vanity commercial he could afford to treat his employees better. How would the Manning boy sell a pizza anywhere but in Denver? Admitting I have always had a thing for Pappa. Maybe I could fuck some sense into him.

by Anonymousreply 3811/10/2012

If you want a good pizza franchise, check out Marco's Pizza. They are fantastic, with fresh cheese and a crunchy crust.

Also, the only time they've been in the news lately is all the fundraising they've done for Sandy victims.

by Anonymousreply 3911/10/2012

Does anyone have an e-mail address for Schnatter or Papa John's headquarters?

by Anonymousreply 4011/10/2012

marco's seems great but what three cheeses are in their 'cheese blend'. i am a mozzarella purist, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 4111/10/2012

Here's my q:

WILL Obamacare force him to eat a 14 cents cost increase, or is that just bullshit too?

(Not that I don't think he can survive by raising costs much higher than that....)

by Anonymousreply 4211/10/2012

I know my 'math' at R36 doesn't work (obviously that 10 to 16 cent increase isn't the total PER EMPLOYESS), but I was trying to make the point that over the years, this guy has probably had plenty of price increases on his products (due to the price of cheese, yeast, tomato sauce ....whatever). And of course all of those prices were passed on to his customers TO KEEP HIS PROFITS INCREASED.

I have no doubt that *many* people who eat his pizza (I haven't for years) and were told prices were increasing so he could offer healthcare to his employees would be okay with it, especially since, as he says, "the good news is 100 percent of the population is going to have health insurance.”

This will be one of those things where "everyone" knows someone impacted by this good news.

This guys sucks. And I think he's pretty ugly, not pretty. I hope it costs him big time.

by Anonymousreply 4311/10/2012

He's a friend of Romney's and I believe got his start with Bain. A company his size would not be affected by Obamacare unless he didn't offer healthcare to his employees. In fact he would possibly even get a rebate at the end of the year. He's so full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 4411/10/2012

So why doesn't someone in the media expose him r44?

SHOW that he's full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 4511/10/2012

If that's really all it will cost him, what he's actually saying is that Obamacare is about as big a burden on the consumer as a tip jar next to the register would be.

by Anonymousreply 4611/10/2012

Don't forget, this guy also held a reception for Romney on his estate. It's not as if this scheme of Schnatter's is non-partisan.

by Anonymousreply 4711/10/2012

Papa John? Nasty, eat the box instead it has more flavor.

by Anonymousreply 4811/10/2012

Most of his workforce is part time anyway, and probably don't even buy health insurance - he likely doesn't even offer it. Many of them may even be kids still on their parents' policies until they're 26 (thanks "Obamacare" for that!) And yeah, it's nasty pizza - fuck him and the horse he rode in on, right along with Chick-fil-A and all the rest.

by Anonymousreply 4911/10/2012

when was the last time you heard a CEO saying "i'm going to take a pay cut, rather than lay off any of my valued employees?"

by Anonymousreply 5011/10/2012

R27 did Papa John? Did his jizz taste sugary?

by Anonymousreply 5111/10/2012

Love this facebook meme:

by Anonymousreply 5211/10/2012

All these rich white men CEO's are grabbing the edge and trying to take the US hostage. Fuck'em.

by Anonymousreply 5311/10/2012

[close]So why doesn't someone in the media expose him

And risk losing all of those advertising dollars? Fuhgeddatboutit.

by Anonymousreply 5411/10/2012

I've never had it, but obviously a lot of people like it because I see more Papa John's popping up lately.

On a side note, their owner creeps me out every time I see that commercial. The guy has no lips.

by Anonymousreply 5511/10/2012

R56, you should volunteer to go home and cook for them if you want to be in charge of what other people eat.

by Anonymousreply 5711/10/2012

Bitter ingredients.

Bitter pizza.

by Anonymousreply 5811/10/2012

Papa John's pizza SUCKS. I tried it once several years ago and it was a complete waste of my money. Awful. The CEO not only has a shit product but he's a cunt too with his employees? lovely

by Anonymousreply 5911/10/2012

I honestly didn't think adults ate this shit. I thought it was for Mom and Dad to order when they're going out--something for the kids and the babysitter to gnaw on while they watch Lion King.

by Anonymousreply 6011/10/2012

I ordered from them when I got stuck working late and that was the only food delivery I could get.

It was edible, but not something I would want to repeat.

by Anonymousreply 6211/10/2012

I've always been partial to Stouffer's French Bread Pizza myself.

by Anonymousreply 6311/10/2012

R61, I know a lot of mothers, some of whom work and some who don't, who cannot cook at all. It's not considered an important skill by young people. All you have to own is a microwave, maybe a toaster oven, and you've got dinner.

I know it's a skill people used to take for granted, but that's no longer true. What's more, it's not something most young people want to learn.

by Anonymousreply 6411/10/2012

Republicans are hateful, twisted scum.

by Anonymousreply 6511/10/2012

Can someone please help me understand what Schnatter's is thinking.

Okay, he wants to make a point and is angry that Mitt lost. So he states this is because people voted for Obama that I have to do this.

Why didn't he just either raise the price of his pizza by 14 cents or just let go of some employees quietly? Yes he would not have made his point. But he is now going to lose business because of this big pronunciation. (Is that the right word usage?)

Anyway, I never order pizza from a non mom and pop place, I'm new york about my pizza. But if I was in a situation and it was what was wanted and needed to be done. Well Domino's it's gonna be now.

I mean you did your thing before the election to try and sway votes, it didn't work. Coming out like this about it only makes you look like a sore loser and make people want to boycott. If you were sincere about how it would effect business, do what you need to do, do cry about it for attention and use it like a revenge move.

by Anonymousreply 6611/10/2012

Isn't he supposed to be a pretty poor excuse for a human being in general?

by Anonymousreply 6711/10/2012

What a fucking prick. They have horrible pizza anyway and I will now be letting everyone know it. This guy is a multi-millionaire and this is why I hate rich people. God forbid you should treat your employees like humans and give them some decent benefits. This is why there are unions.

by Anonymousreply 6811/10/2012

There was a Papa John's place about mile from my home. I tried a pizza once and it was just average. They moved out of there about 2 years ago, I guess their crappy pizza couldn't draw in enough customers.

It's pathetic that he is doing something like this. He could pay for Obamacase easily by just not running a few commercials a year. ASSHOLE!

by Anonymousreply 6911/10/2012

"Obamacare" hasn't even kicked in yet, so it hasn't cost him ONE FUCKING DIME! Typically, fast food minimum wage jobs offer zero benefits anyway. What is the new law going to do to him? I read that I will have to buy my own health insurance and if my income is low, I will get some help paying for it. Do employers have to kick in if they don't ordinarily offer insurance now?

by Anonymousreply 7011/10/2012

Crappy rethuglicans will be greedy NO MATTER WHAT!

by Anonymousreply 7111/10/2012

[quote]pronunciation

It's a "proclamation", r66, but we know what you mean.

Hell, I'd be willing to pay an extra 15 cents for a pizza if it meant the employees could have health care.

How fucking stupid is this guy? The pettiness of rethuglicans amazes me.

by Anonymousreply 7211/10/2012

Papa John is dead to me (after I redeem my next free pizza.)

by Anonymousreply 7311/10/2012

I love how all the nitwits on this thread are patting themselves on the back for going to mom and pop pizza joints. Newsflash ladies: they not only do not pay for health benefits, they don't pay taxes or ss for their employees either. Those businesses are all cash.

This is such a non-issue for small business owners. If they have less than 50 employees they will not be mandated to pay for health benefits. Also, employees who work less than 30 hours are ineligible.

I agree with the poster above who said the CEO's biggest mistake was in opening his pizza pie hole. There are plenty of work arounds for retail businesses. You can split your business up into several separate entities, each with less than 50 employees. And, of course, in retail it's common to hire part-timers anyway, so you can just hire everyone but the manager at less than 30 hours/week. Easy problem to solve.

by Anonymousreply 7411/10/2012

What scumbag millionaires like Papa John's CEO John Schnatter seem to not comprehend, when bosses hire part timers or cut back hours as to NOT PAY INTO their employees health care insurance, this usually automatically entitles their workers to be eligible for Medicaid!

WHY do you think so many corporations have been using part timers and freelances for the past 15+ years, so they can avoid paying into health benefits.

For all the carping these scumbag CEOs are doing about 'freeloaders on Medicaid', they themselves are causing their workers to need to be on Medicaid. Oh the irony!

Many workers at WalMart etc are receiving Medicaid because of these CEO's corrupt hiring practices.

Look into it, you will be surprised at how many working people are now receiving Medicaid due to their jobs not providing health care because these companies are hiring lots of part timers.

To hear assholes like Shitt Romney going on about the 47% of Americans not paying taxes, how about this bastard telling us WHY? Perhaps the fact that those 47% do not make enough money to pay taxes on?

Fuck corporate America, it's filled with liars and thieves!

And apparently delusional rich white trash, going by that ostentatious 'house' Papa John lives in, ugh

by Anonymousreply 7511/10/2012

This is why I proudly invest in companies who take care of their employees, like Costco and Honeywell.

by Anonymousreply 7611/10/2012

"WHY do you think so many corporations have been using part timers and FREELANCERS for the past 15+ years, so they can avoid paying into health benefits."

by Anonymousreply 7711/10/2012

This is good. All these gazillionaire CEOs who are having tantrums and making assholish proclamations are just opening the door for decent, local businesses to take away some of their market share.

by Anonymousreply 7811/10/2012

PJ's is the worst pizza product in the market. I stated a thread about the disgusting sweetness their crust possessed. I would bet this chinsy outfit has always used part time help, since they are massed produced garbage that is heated at each location. I avoid all pizza except for Costco's.

by Anonymousreply 7911/10/2012

Why is it that in addition to being unhealthy for your body, most fast food chains are just as unhealthy for your soul?

by Anonymousreply 8011/10/2012

Why do you all think employers should bear the burden of healthcare just because they always have? Employer provided healthcare is an antiquated system that needs to be retired. It became popular (and later the norm) after WW2 when employers were desperate to hire and needed to use health benefits as a carrot to attract skilled workers.

You don't rely on your employer to find you a mortgage or car insurance or pick what schools your kids go to. Why healthcare?

by Anonymousreply 8111/10/2012

Shop at Costco and Starbucks. They support our causes and share our beliefs.

by Anonymousreply 8211/10/2012

the owner is a fucking idiot. if he raised his prices to cover ALL his employees health insurance, I'd support his business, provided he removed all that sweet shit from his pizza dough.

The damn fool is a typical dolt, and is marching in the wrong direction.

by Anonymousreply 8311/10/2012

[quote]This is good. All these gazillionaire CEOs who are having tantrums and making assholish proclamations are just opening the door for decent, local businesses to take away some of their market share.

You mean the ones who won't be paying for healthcare either, R78?

by Anonymousreply 8411/10/2012

This story is peaking on the interwebs!

by Anonymousreply 8511/10/2012

The other issue here is who the fuck wants to eat at a place where employees will come in to work sick because they don't have health insurance. Sick employees who will be handling your food? Fucking genius at work here

by Anonymousreply 8611/10/2012

by Anonymousreply 8711/10/2012

Domino's offer gluten-free pizza. Just sayin'

by Anonymousreply 8811/10/2012

[quote] Typically, fast food minimum wage jobs offer zero benefits anyway.

I doubt that he's referring to the hourly fast food employees, rather the corporate 9-5 employees, since the restaurants are franchised anyway.

by Anonymousreply 8911/10/2012

I'll never order from there again. Cheap bastard.

by Anonymousreply 9011/10/2012

Boycotting Papa John's will be easy for me too as I don't think I ever had one of their pizzas and from all the poor reviews of it that I have read here I likely never will. There is a shop nearby but I simply never think of going there--pizza is an expensive luxury item anyway, especially if you get it delivered. I agree with the post that said he/she supports the "mom and pop" places--better to patronize them instead of some corporation. Since I am older too, I'm afraid that too many slices would result in alot of indigestion anyway (there are over 900 calories in 3 slices of pizza).

by Anonymousreply 9111/10/2012

[quote] pizza is an expensive luxury item anyway, especially if you get it delivered

You sound poor

by Anonymousreply 9211/10/2012

I'm not so sure about poor as much as thrifty or frugal, r92. I was just raised to believe that purchases like ready made pizza delivered is something you do on rare occasions when it fits into the budget. Besides, many of these pizza places often use ready made crusts not necessarily ones rolled out and tossed fresh which to me is not worth the amount you spend--for that much money I can buy several Boboli crusts and make my own just the same way. But I will leave you with a thought the Duchess of Windsor once said and that is, "you're never too rich or too thin".

by Anonymousreply 9311/10/2012

Think about this for a second, would a better response be to have an organized effort so that everyone ordered pizza delivery all at the same, everywhere. Overwhelm the system so as to send the message that they need to keep employees. Not using Papa Johns will not help the people that work there.

by Anonymousreply 9411/10/2012

[quote]But I will leave you with a thought the Duchess of Windsor once said and that is, "you're never too rich or too thin".

Did she eat at Papa John's?

by Anonymousreply 9511/10/2012

I hope someone kills him publicly. That lawn looks like it could fit a guillotine. There's nothing wrong with being filthy rich, but acting like this is unacceptable.

by Anonymousreply 9611/10/2012

Don't look at me. The only time I ever ate fast food pizza was when I was stuck in an airport for hours. I order from local pizza joints. And they are delicious. Fast food pizza is unfathomable to me.

by Anonymousreply 9711/10/2012

r81, I don't but if there is an affordable option that accepts pre-existing conditions fuck the employers. Employers offer lower wages because they provide healthcare as a benefit.

With them no longer providing these benefits they will have to pay higher salaries.

by Anonymousreply 9811/10/2012

[quote] With them no longer providing these benefits they will have to pay higher salaries.

Yeah, just keep thinking that, as more and more jobs are outsourced to places that don't pay living wages.

by Anonymousreply 9911/10/2012

Doesn't he make money from selling the franchises? If so, he doesnt care if we boycott him, he already made his money. The people who bought his franchise should sue him for hurting their business.

by Anonymousreply 10011/10/2012

I have never seen a Papa John's or a Little Caesar's shop in my tristate metro area.

by Anonymousreply 10111/10/2012

To whom much has been given much is also expected. Personally I do see a moral question in being "filthy rich". I have thought about what my life would be like if I were that way and if you consider it thoroughly or carefully enough you begin to realize that being that wealthy might not be all it's cracked up to be although that said I certainly like enough money around to at least live comfortably with no concerns or worries. But what the hell can anyone do with a billion dollars like Bill Gates? What does he do with all that money? He could live very comfortably and even luxuriously on a fraction of that amount, especially when at the other end of the spectrum one sees bums shuffling around the streets begging for spare change. I don't know whether this thread will now morph into a moral/philosophical discussion on wealth and who deserves it but I will say this, I really see no need for ANY billionaires in this world. Once you reach a certain point it's taxed heavily. If sugar is going to be taxed then surely taxing something equally as useless, like billionaires can't be entirely amiss. And if sugar is taxed maybe Papa John would have to charge even more for his pizza??

by Anonymousreply 10211/10/2012

If you boycott Papa Johns' you ARE hurting a local mom and pop shop, idiots. They are locally owned franchises. The CEO is the Franchisor, not a franchisee--get it?

Are you planning to ask the waiters at ALL your favorite restaurants if they have health benefits under the new plan? If not, will you get up and walk out?

by Anonymousreply 10311/11/2012

R103, you're an idiot.

Seriously. Just shut up.

by Anonymousreply 10411/11/2012

R104 = logic challenged.

by Anonymousreply 10511/11/2012

No, R103/R105, you're just a fucking idiot. Stupidest posts in the thread. Stop while you're behind.

by Anonymousreply 10611/11/2012

There are 7 pizza places, including a Papa John's, within walking distance of where I live. I don't think I'll have any trouble finding a place to get a pizza with Papa John's now dropped from that list of choices.

by Anonymousreply 10711/11/2012

The guy reports mega earnings, but can't afford to pay for health-care for his own employees while he lounges in a castle.

He is the personification of everything that is wrong in this country.

by Anonymousreply 10811/11/2012

11-14 cents per pizza...seems like a pro. For the cost of the pepper flakes, I can give healthcare to all my non covered employees...NO DAMMIT. This is socialisim!!

by Anonymousreply 10911/11/2012

Maybe Papa John is just anti-healthcare in general. He apparently hasn't seen a doctor about that ridiculous head-nodding disorder.

by Anonymousreply 11011/11/2012

R103, then hopefully those franchise owners will tell the CEO to SHUT UP. There are consequences for your words and actions and if a boycott hurts their business, that puts pressure on their unethical CEO's to keep their mouth shut and do the right thing. It seems you want complacency as normal. Thank God you weren't a leader during the 1960's Civil Rights Era otherwise nothing would have been accomplished according to your failed logic.

by Anonymousreply 11111/11/2012

DineEquity, the corporate owner of IHOP and Applebees, also pulled the same bullshit about having to lay off or cut employee hours because of "Obamacare."

Meanwhile, this week they posted higher than projected third quarter earnings.

by Anonymousreply 11211/11/2012

R 103 The franchise holders can hold the franchise accountable. Here is the flaw in your logic. A franchise is an independent business. The make their own decisions concerning staffing, layoff etc. I am sure there are covenants in the franchise that lay out a level of service etc that is required. If it is a franchise it isn't Papa's issue.

by Anonymousreply 11311/11/2012

[quote]If you boycott Papa Johns' you ARE hurting a local mom and pop shop, idiots. They are locally owned franchises. The CEO is the Franchisor, not a franchisee--get it?

When the public face/voice of a company takes it upon himself to broadcast his extreme political views loudly to the puclic, his corporation may suffer. He has the right to his opinions and I have the right to go to other places where I feel comfortable spending my money. Get it, R103? If HE hurts his franchisees, he will not stay in business very long. This is a problem created entirely by the CEO not knowing how to run a franchise operation properly. Have you heard the CEO of McDonald's voicing his/her opinion about politics?

by Anonymousreply 11411/11/2012

Douchebag:

by Anonymousreply 11511/11/2012

Read what Costco has to say about this. Costco is murdering the competition by paying good wages and offering solid benefit plans.

You get a better grade of employee, better moral, more efficiency, and lower turnover. And it all goes to the bottom line in the form of higher sales and more profits. That's a fact.

by Anonymousreply 11611/11/2012

And again, I shall post it:

[quote]The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. -John Kenneth Galbraith

by Anonymousreply 11711/11/2012

R116, that needs to be shouted from the roof-tops.

by Anonymousreply 11811/11/2012

Darden is gong to do this as well. They are the corporation behind Olive Garden, The Red Lobster, and a few other places.

What people like the Papa John's douche do not understand is that their places stay afloat in no small part because of their full time employees who have worked for the place for maybe a good year or two. Those are the employees who are cross trained and know their restaurant inside and out. Replace those folks with part timers and the quality of the food put out as well as customer service will go down the drain and since it all sometimes sucks already so that is saying a heck of a lot.

by Anonymousreply 11911/11/2012

Does he understand the meaning of "majority"?

The "majority" of people who actually got off their asses to vote voted for President Obama...

Are these people mentally ill - "sorry, we won't serve you until you vote our way, even if it means you starve in the street - and we'll cut our nose to spite our face" (Britishism)

by Anonymousreply 12011/11/2012

"If Obamacare is in fact not repealed, we will find tactics to shallow out any Obamacare costs and core strategies to pass that cost on to consumers in order to protect our shareholders' best interests."

---John H. Schnatter, Papa John's founder

by Anonymousreply 12111/11/2012

I see from Twitter that the conservatives will be clogging their arteries yet again to express themselves.

I know it could never happen because people need their jobs (and yes, I know they're franchises), but I'd love for employees to walk off.

by Anonymousreply 12211/11/2012

[quote]full time employees who have worked for the place for maybe a good year or two. Those are the employees who are cross trained and know their restaurant inside and out.

You don't need a full staff of full timers, only a manager and asst manager and maybe one or two others. The rest can be part time. That's how retail works.

by Anonymousreply 12311/11/2012

[quote]DineEquity, the corporate owner of IHOP and Applebees, also pulled the same bullshit about having to lay off or cut employee hours because of "Obamacare." Meanwhile, this week they posted higher than projected third quarter earnings.

Hmmm, interesting. So, it seems clear that theses "evil" practices do not cause cost conscious businesses to fall to ruin.

by Anonymousreply 12411/11/2012

[quote]This is a problem created entirely by the CEO not knowing how to run a franchise operation properly. Have you heard the CEO of McDonald's voicing his/her opinion about politics?

No, but you can bet they will be doing the EXACT same thing, as will every other retailer. They're just smart enough not to brag about it.

So, according to your theory, the honest (but dumb) retailer who came forward with his intentions should be boycotted, but everyone else, including the mom and pop shops who never did provide benefits, and never will, get a pass.

by Anonymousreply 12511/11/2012

No R113, your logic is flawed and I'll tell you why. The knee jerk posters in this thread have threatened to boycott local business that may already be paying for health benefits for their staff. The Franchisor of PJ's is not paying their salaries or benefits, a local small business owner is. Those stores are all run independently. Some pay well, others don't. Some pay for benefits, others don't. You can't paint them all with the same brush. Also, a Franchisee does not have the power to silence the Franchisor. Not by a long shot.

by Anonymousreply 12611/11/2012

In addition to hosting a party for Romney at his estate, is there any way of determining how much money Schnatter had donated to the campaign?

by Anonymousreply 12711/11/2012

So Papa John's is run by this idiot. And Domino's is run by the guy who gives millions to Operation Rescue and other anti-abortion groups.

Guess it's Pizza hut if I ever decide the need to get horrible delivery pizza.

by Anonymousreply 12811/12/2012

Actually, I don't think Domino's is still run by that guy.

by Anonymousreply 12911/12/2012

We liked you better with the moustache John and when you weren't an elitist corporate asshole.

by Anonymousreply 13011/12/2012

Isn't this the fat dude who lives in a 300-bedroom megamegamansion?

by Anonymousreply 13111/12/2012

yes

by Anonymousreply 13211/12/2012

Fact-Checking Papa John's CEO:

by Anonymousreply 13311/12/2012

Assholes like that should look at Costco. They pay much higher than average for retail workers, offer health insurance to full and part time workers - cover 92% of the cost of health insurance for workers and still make a healthy profit. Their CEO is not pays 400x the average worker's salary and their employee turnover is less than 23%. The average full time costco worker makes 40K a year. Costco is living proof you can treat employees like human beings and still make a ton of money.

by Anonymousreply 13411/12/2012

Wow, thanks, R133. They didn't need to call in a "treasury official" to get at the truth though. All they had to do was read this thread.

The fact is, Papa John's won't be negatively affected by Obamacare at all. Their employees will not be eligible for benefits because 1.) they are already working less than 30 hours per week and/or 2.) the small business owners (franchisees) they work for have less than 50 employees, so they are exempt from the new mandate.

by Anonymousreply 13511/12/2012

exactly r134.

by Anonymousreply 13611/12/2012

Come on, all pizza joints make their delivery people use their own car, insurance and gas. Why is it a big surprise they would balk on extra insurance costs?

Papa John's is the only one protesting - the rest will pass the cost on quietly, by raising prices or cutting hours. So, you support a vocal capitalist or one who has the same approach but flies under the radar.

by Anonymousreply 13711/12/2012

May have already been answered upthread but isn't employee health care a write-off anyway?

by Anonymousreply 13811/12/2012

[quote] And Domino's is run by the guy who gives millions to Operation Rescue and other anti-abortion groups.

No he sold it off a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 13911/12/2012

Thank you r134 and r135

Basically this is a lot Bullshit political shit-stirring to convince the lemmings that Obama is keeping them from getting a job.

Fucking mongrels. I hope the Obama Administration is fighting back against the propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 14011/12/2012

Yes, other CEOs will likely quietly do something similar.

But this guy is being a royal douche-bag about it. He, sitting in his wealthy opulence, is showing a huge amount of complete contempt and disrespect to his own employees, and giving a major fuck you to half the American Population.

So fuck him. I hope his company nosedives.

by Anonymousreply 14111/12/2012

His pizza gives me the trots.

by Anonymousreply 14211/12/2012

Olive Garden, Red Lobster to Cut Hours Instead of Giving Health Insurance

Darden Restaurants, Inc., which owns omnipresent suburban chains Red Lobster and Olive Garden, is gearing up to deal with new federal health care requirements.

According to the AP, the restaurant group — which employs 180,000 people at over 2,000 restaurants — is running an experiment in four markets that increases the number of part time employees. (Darden isn't giving out specific numbers at this time.)

This is an effort to curb full time employees, as the federal government — because of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (aka ObamaCare) — will begin fining employers for not providing basic health coverage to full time employees starting January 1, 2014.

It also means servers at Red Lobster now manage four tables at a time instead of three, in case you're wondering why your endless popcorn shrimp refills were taking so long.

by Anonymousreply 14411/12/2012

"Yes, other CEOs will likely quietly do something similar"

Look, just give up your stupid trolling. No one is buying it. Even when you think you are being clever by burying your looney rhetoric inside a post like that.

You're a fucking joke and we see the real you like a beacon in the night.

by Anonymousreply 14511/12/2012

I wish I could being myself to eat his pizza so that I could voluntarily boycott Papa John's.

by Anonymousreply 14611/12/2012

Looks like all the food joints you'd never want to eat at are taking the election results out on their employees.

If anyone wants to boycott these places, there are so many alternatives. If McDonalds is too hoity toity for your taste, try Taco Bell. As far as pizza goes, go to the freezer section of any market and you will all sorts of frozen pizzas none of which tastes as bad as Papa Johns.

If you really miss Papa Johns, just pour a half cup of catsup and a quarter cup of light karo syrup on top.

by Anonymousreply 14711/12/2012

This was just on the Ed Schultz show. Health insurance would cost Papa johns $5 million a year, out of an operating cost of over one billion. Obamacare only would require companies with 50 or more employees to provide insurance. I doubt any of these franchise have that many in each store, so it really won't impact him. This douche bag is using fear and threatening his workers to make a political statement. Fuck him. Fuck him with something hard and sandpapery.

by Anonymousreply 14811/12/2012

What idiots. As if they hadn't increased the prices for other reasons before. WTFEver.

by Anonymousreply 14911/12/2012

The same Olive Garden that refused to advertise on progressive Air America?

The same Olive Garden that was run by Joe R. Lee until recently, the same Joe R. Lee who is one of only 4 people listed on the "Campaign to Defeat Barack Obama" group?

Yeah, thought so.

by Anonymousreply 15011/12/2012

Support your local mom and pop pizza joint.

by Anonymousreply 15111/12/2012

Jenny Craig?

by Anonymousreply 15211/12/2012

Jimmy John Liautaud, founder of Jimmy John's sub franchise, is considering cutting employee hours to 28, to get under the Obamacare cap of 30 hours that defines full-time employment.

by Anonymousreply 15311/12/2012

Another Republican? Color me surprised.

by Anonymousreply 15411/12/2012

"Obamacare only would require companies with 50 or more employees to provide insurance. I doubt any of these franchise have that many in each store, so it really won't impact him"

Do you mean 50 or more employees for the company, or 50 or more per store? Those two things are very different. You seem a little confused, and I'm not sure that figure is correct anyway.

by Anonymousreply 15511/12/2012

R145? What the FUCK are you ranting on about? How is what you posted in any way relevant to what you quoted?!?

by Anonymousreply 15711/12/2012

[quote]Do you mean 50 or more employees for the company, or 50 or more per store? Those two things are very different. You seem a little confused, and I'm not sure that figure is correct anyway.

No, you're the one confused. Please see the video up above, in R133.

Each franchise is considered its own business.

by Anonymousreply 15811/12/2012

[bold]Applebee’s Tries To Spin Back Into Consumers’ Good Graces[/bold]

After what could only be considered a massive public relations nightmare last week, Applebee’s is trying to spin its way back into customers’ hearts. And wallets.

Fox Business Network reported recently that Zane Tankel, CEO of Apple-Metro, an Applebee’s franchisee group for the New York City area, said that Applebee’s “won’t hire more people” because the Affordable Care Act would cost the company “some millions of dollars.” Consumer anger erupted nearly immediately and brought with it a Twitter hashtag calling on consumers to #boycottApplebees. And it’s not just this unfortunate business: Papa John’s CEO is under fire this week, as well, for saying he is going to cut all employee hours due to mounting costs (mounting costs of 14 cents per pizza) from the Affordable Care Act.

Now, Applebee’s has released a statement in a desperate move to distance themselves from Tankel:

[quote][italic]Recent public comments by one Applebee’s franchisee about the possible implications of the ACA on jobs within his individual company were not the views or opinions of either Applebee’s or other franchisees, although we respect his right to speak freely as an American.[/italic]

Applebee’s International President Mike Archer also claims the company recognizes that “affordable health care is a critically important issue facing our country” and continues:

[quote][italic]Because final regulations and guidance are still pending from government agencies regarding the Affordable Care Act (ACA), exactly how our franchisees will implement the law when it takes effect in 2014 is still uncertain. However, we do know that our franchisees will comply fully with the law and take every measure possible to continue doing right by their employees — the lifeblood of their businesses. Applebee’s franchisees have always led their companies as responsible, caring employers, and implementation of the new law will be consistent with that commitment.[/italic]

To the more dubious eye, this simply seems like a case of public conservatism gone horribly wrong. Maybe Tankel did speak completely of his own accord. But then again, maybe Applebee’s recognized that some serious damage control needed to be done to maintain their customers and even more importantly, their bottom line.

by Anonymousreply 15911/13/2012

We will all be paying more for everything as a result of this new mandate. Maybe you don't care. I don't. I pay more for most things for convenience or because I prefer a certain brand, etc. So, I'd happily pay more for other products and services so everyone can have healthcare. However, I actually believe healthcare should be taken out of the hands of employers entirely. To me it's just bizarre that we still don't have Universal healthcare.

Just don't kid yourselves that you won't be the one paying for everyone to have something they aren't getting now. It won't be coming out of the pockets of greedy CEO's because they will of course pass along the expense to the consumer.

by Anonymousreply 16011/13/2012

You lost. Boo hoo for you.

by Anonymousreply 16111/13/2012

Actually, because costs are amortized across more Americans, we'll likely be paying less than we would have WITHOUT ObamaCare.

Costs were skyrocketing at unsustainable levels prior to this law. Costs are still increasing, yes, but not quite as fast as they were. And the more healthy people you get into the insurance pool, the less costs will rise over-all.

by Anonymousreply 16211/13/2012

exactly

by Anonymousreply 16311/13/2012

More and more evidence piling up that this is just petulant sour-grapes, and not actually based on anything financial or real.

by Anonymousreply 16411/13/2012

Papa John's faces $250 million spam lawsuit

The plaintiffs allege that Papa John's (PZZA) franchises sent customers a total of 500,000 unwanted messages in early 2010. The spam texts offered deals for pizza, and some customers complained they were getting 15 or 16 texts in a row, even during the middle of the night, according Donald Heyrich, an attorney representing the class.

"After I ordered from Papa John's, my telephone started beeping with text messages advertising pizza specials," Erin Chutich, one of the plaintiffs, said in a statement. "Papa John's never asked permission to send me text message advertisements."

The pizza franchisessent the text blasts through a mass text messaging service called OnTime4U, which is also a defendant in the case. When Papa John's was first sued in April 2010, the franchises allegedly ended their involvement with OnTime4U's text program, after the pizza company informed its corporate stores and franchisees that sending unsolicited messages to cellphones "is most likely illegal."

The Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991 bars companies from sending advertisements via text message without a consumer first opting into the service.

Related: Text messaging falls for first time in U.S.

Caroline Oyler, Papa John's head of legal affairs, said that Papa John's corporate text messaging program is not subject to the lawsuit, as the text were sent "by third-party vendors and a small number of franchisees."

The class-action lawsuit could lead to the largest damages awards ever recovered under the TCPA, according to Heyrich. The plaintiffs are seeking $500 per text, but they could be awarded up to $1,500 for each message if a jury rules that Papa John's willfully broke the law.

"We have noticed text message spam is increasing in part because advertisers see it as a great way to get their material directly into the hands of customers," Heyrich said. "We hope this case keeps text message spam out of cellphones."

Related: Here comes the Windows Phone Hail Mary

Oyler, however, said that Papa John's sees "no basis" for the plaintiff's estimate of $250 million.

The nationwide class-action case was certified on Nov. 9 by U.S. District Court Judge John Coughenour in Seattle. Papa John's plans to appeal the judge's ruling, Oyler said.

"We don't agree with it and will continue to aggressively defend it," she said. "We'll continue to litigate the case and defend the lawsuit and move to have it dismissed."

Shares of Papa John's fell by 1% on Tuesday and have fallen by nearly 2% since the judge ruled that the plaintiffs could join together.

by Anonymousreply 16511/14/2012

Look one of Obama's donor's companies is also dropping employees:

Stryker

One of the biggest medical device manufacturers in the world, Stryker will close their facility in Orchard Park, New York, eliminating 96 jobs in December. Worse, they plan on countering the medical device tax in Obamacare by slashing 5% of their global workforce - an estimated 1,170 positions.

by Anonymousreply 16611/14/2012

Yeah, that romneycare wrecked Massachusetts too.

by Anonymousreply 16711/14/2012

Papa John's employees will no doubt be better off after they go out of business.

by Anonymousreply 16811/14/2012

someone ran the numbers and it's not EVEN 11 cents...

by Anonymousreply 16911/14/2012

yt

by Anonymousreply 17011/14/2012

Instability in the stock market and layoffs are also being caused by the fiscal cliff. The fiscal cliff is obama's even if Mitt had been elected.

by Anonymousreply 17111/14/2012

What sense is there in making a sudden cut in staff? I mean, are these all workers that were expendable before the election?

by Anonymousreply 17211/14/2012

If Mitt had won, then nothing would be Obama's fault and we'd immediately attack Mitt. Isn't that how it works?

The Freepers didn't want the name "Bush" mentioned, so we'd do the same with Obama - though we're not ashamed by Obama the way the right is by Bush. If they're not ashamed, then the level of denial and stupidity should be treated by a professional

by Anonymousreply 17311/14/2012

Stephen Colbert on Papa John's Pizza:

"Almost three extra nickels for this hot turd pie? Eat the nickels; you have your dignity."

by Anonymousreply 17411/14/2012

Papa John's Obamacare Price Hike Cheered By Ian's Pizza In Wisconsin

by Anonymousreply 17511/16/2012

Good god, the racist trolls are fucking stupid. Some of these people appear borderline retarded.

by Anonymousreply 17711/16/2012

I guess all the republicans will be buying from Papa Johns. I never did.

by Anonymousreply 17811/16/2012

A fried chicken/watermelon joke - what year is this again?

Can't even get angry with these people. It's really so sad.

by Anonymousreply 17911/16/2012

It's been proven that nationalized medicine turns out to be great for any country that has it. Of couse it's always greed over what's really right.

by Anonymousreply 18011/16/2012

The racist...hum just great! Don't you feel big and strong now? No? Oh yeah...you lost, fatheads.

by Anonymousreply 18111/16/2012

R180, you'd think Americans would get the hint when Congress (particularly those with $ from BigPharm) were attempting to stop people from going to Canada to get their meds cheaper - claiming they couldn't be sure that the drugs were safe. BULL. SHIT.

The reason meds are cheaper in these other countries is because those govts refuse to pay the exorbitant price, so BigPharm just passes on those prices to Americans knowing our govt won't fight for us because congressional whores do the lobby's bidding.

by Anonymousreply 18211/16/2012

You know why R176 making that joke is actually funny? The stereotype wouldn't even apply to Obama, considering his background. You can't make this shit up when it comes to the level of stupidity and belligerence on the right - even in making a racist joke.

I'm starting to think Obama really is a "magic negro" in that with his reelection, I can almost hear the last remaining brain cells of racists struggling for oxygen.

by Anonymousreply 18311/16/2012

And just like that (snap), R176 is gone, never to be heard from again.

Who are these freeptard trolls? Where do they come from? Where do they go? How do they find these threads, in a sea of posts about Channing Tatum, products you love, recipes, lickable taints and Lesbian Drama? They're like moths drawn to a flame, but who/what/why and how???

And why do they ALWAYS feel the need to sign a (likely fictitious) name to their posts when 99% of us just post anonymously?

by Anonymousreply 18411/16/2012

Every single member of our congress is bought and paid for. We, the people are never represented...only the rich are represented.

by Anonymousreply 18511/16/2012

Can you imagine the dumbfucks ordering pizza to *support* screwing over the employees making them?

Did they even bother to think this through?

by Anonymousreply 18611/16/2012

FREEP FREEP FREEP

by Anonymousreply 18811/16/2012

R187, cut the shit!

We're talking about a guy who is worth $600M. He said himself his shareholders come first, not his employees.

This is about greed, pure and simple, so don't act like we're talking about a "mom & pop" shop.

He said he would have to raise the price of the pizza by 11 cents... 11 cents! Had he just done that without saying anything, do you think people would've noticed? Instead of 2 for $10, you're paying 2 for $10.22. Hell, raise it to $11. Do you think people would've stopped ordering that shit?

by Anonymousreply 18911/16/2012

R187? I really doubt that 14 cents per pizza is going to make the business run at a loss.

by Anonymousreply 19011/16/2012

How many cents per pizza goes to the CEO?

by Anonymousreply 19111/16/2012

I see, understanding business is a "Freeper" thing. OK. After looking at it, maybe it was more than 14 cents. Whatever it was, the price point would possibly turn away buyers. The owner isn't worth $600 million, his business is and the business has operating expenses. Do you forget that? And of course shareholders always come first, they are what drive the company. If you don't worry about them, stocks dive, the business goes into the ground. Again, businesses don't run to go belly up, the actual idea is to be successful.

and r187 that's 14 cents over tons of pizzas. It adds up.

And while were at it, how can you all support a bill that we were told had to be passed to find out what was in it? That's akin to saying "I have to sign this divorce agreement to find out what's in it" No Ms. Pelosi you find out what's in it, adjust it, cut out the pork, present it to the people THEN PASS IT! Also, you still have to pay for your insurance, it just gives the insurance companies more power. It's bad all the way around.

by Anonymousreply 19211/16/2012

yes, freeperella r192, we know- obamacare took away our freedoms. lining up for judgement in front of a death panel now- hope i just get sentenced to a FEMA camp.

by Anonymousreply 19311/16/2012

It's called reality.

Darden restaurants, Kroger, and the like are all going to do the same damn thing.

Many people are now going to need 2 part time jobs.

by Anonymousreply 19411/16/2012

[quote]After looking at it, maybe it was more than 14 cents. Whatever it was, the price point would possibly turn away buyers

Actually, scum-sucking corporatist shitstain, "after looking at it", Forbes magazine says Obamacare will cost Papa John far less than 14 cents a pizza.

Try again, dumbass troll.

by Anonymousreply 19511/16/2012

I never said any of that R193. But because I am not anti business you yell "freeper". Keep doing that, it won't do you much good with this new reality we are living in.

And thank you for seeing the reality R194.

by Anonymousreply 19611/16/2012

[quote]But because I am not anti business you yell "freeper".

but you are, blanche, You ARE!

by Anonymousreply 19711/16/2012

You obviously don't have a base in reality. Is it working in general you have a problem with? Do you think companies owe their profits to you? Your hatred of corporations is very sad. Get a job, you will find it's rewarding getting paid to actually do something worthwhile.

by Anonymousreply 19811/16/2012

"Get a job"

And there it is, you reveal yourself to be the exact sort of person we suspected and that you vehemently denied: a freeper.

I have a job. I work, pay taxes (at a much higher rate than "Papa John") and give back to my community. But health insurance? Zilch, not since I got laid off 2 years ago.

You really are an asshole. Can't wait for the revolution in this country.

by Anonymousreply 19911/16/2012

Because I said get a job instead of hating corporations, please hunny. Only people angry at "the man" are people that don't have jobs.

Either you have a job or are laid off, which is it?

by Anonymousreply 20011/16/2012

What jackass Papa John and dipshits like R198 forget is that government is supposed to be working for the "common good." The common good helps everyone, not just a select few. And if Papa John wants to save money, he can quit paying Peyton Manning million of dollars to his ridiculous ads.

I'm in Pennsylvania, and I can't tell you how happy I am that the Republican candidate for US Sentate, Tom Smith, was soundly defeated in the election. This asshole, a global warming denier and coal mine owner, was looking for a all expenses paid trip (by the taxpayer, no less) to lobby for his business and make sure he didn't lose his investment when alternative, cleaner forms of were championed. Did buggy whip manufacturers put up such a stink when their business was threatened by the automobile?

by Anonymousreply 20111/16/2012

R192, have you seen his home? When in the hell is it enough? People like this would be just as greedy if he had $6B.

When people who are ridiculously wealthy and would sooner fire a thousand people rather than forgo a bonus to save their jobs, then you know "capitalism" is out of control.

It can't be posted enough:

[quote]The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. -John Kenneth Galbraith

by Anonymousreply 20211/16/2012

[quote]Only people angry at "the man" are people that don't have jobs.

lies.

it is also a common lie told that those who want universal health care coverage are "anti-business". that has nothing to do with it, freeper.

by Anonymousreply 20311/16/2012

[quote]Either you have a job or are laid off, which is it?

My god, you are stupid.

I was laid off from a full time job (that I held for nearly 20 years) two years ago. I worked for an enormous corporation headed by 1%ers with 8 figure+ yearly compensation, but my middle class ass got canned.

I'm currently employed part-time and supplement that with freelance work when I can. No benefits.

And you claim we're the ones not grounded in reality? Where have you been the last 5 years? My situation is far from uncommon.

by Anonymousreply 20411/16/2012

I don't remember a single CEO raising rates on goods and services when Bush declared two unpaid-for wars.

by Anonymousreply 20511/16/2012

[quote]I see, understanding business is a "Freeper" thing. OK. After looking at it, maybe it was more than 14 cents. Whatever it was, the price point would possibly turn away buyers. The owner isn't worth $600 million, his business is and the business has operating expenses.

Okay, R192, you're partly right. John Schnatter may not be worth $600M. As of 2012 he owned 4,348,253 shares of PZZA worth --as of 11/16/2012-- $204,411,373. His compensation for 2011 was $2.745M.

The market cap of Papa John's (PZZA) is $1.09B -- not $600M.

As for the cost-per-pie...

[quote]Subsequent analysis by Caleb Melby of Forbes found that the price increase would actually be closer 3.4 to 3.6 cents per pie.[10]Before Obamacare most "Papa John's" employees working in company owned stores, are part time employees who are currently paid minimum wage and receive no benefits [Wiki footnote to Forbes source]

Finally, if there's any doubt that facts mean nothing to you, there's your sentence: "Whatever it was, the price point would possibly turn away buyers."

Whatever, man, Possibly.

by Anonymousreply 20611/16/2012

Colbert's take

by Anonymousreply 20711/16/2012

Would any consumer even notice a 14¢ increase, on an item that retails for about $12-$15? That's what gets me about this. We all knew Obamacare wasn't free and the costs would be passed on, but this...just greed and political grandstanding to make the n***** liberal look bad.

Where's our freepbot? Did we run him off?

by Anonymousreply 20811/16/2012

[quote] Where's our freepbot? Did we run him off?

His mommy called him away. It was time for his bath.

by Anonymousreply 20911/16/2012

No this "freepbot" had to work. You have made no sense so far. Your healthcare is far from free...you still have to buy it from insurance companies that are sitting fat, dumb and happy with the prospect of even more forced new members.

If you think spouting a few platitudes is going to make you right, go ahead and believe it. Reality is already rearing it's head. Refuse to see it or not, that's your choice.

Companies have costs and they will cut workers to keep a profit. PERIOD. They have to look out for the companies best interest to keep it going. A lot of research goes into what price points people will accept. $9.99 might be a mental point that people won't cross, but show them $10.00 at a cent more and it's a deal breaker.

by Anonymousreply 21011/16/2012

"No this "freepbot" had to work."

Miss Mary, beating off to internet porn is not considered work or a job.

"If you think spouting a few platitudes is going to make you right, go ahead and believe it."

Hey, if it's good enough to for Mitt Romney, the entire Republican party and the Christian Reich wing, why isn't it good enough to us?

"Companies have costs and they will cut workers to keep a profit. PERIOD. They have to look out for the companies best interest to keep it going."

At what point to you reach a point of diminishing returns, idiot. If Papa John keeps laying off his minimum wage workers to save money against increasing costs, who the hell is going to make the damn pizzas? Certainly not this entitled pompous jack ass and certainly not R210 and his make believe "business."

by Anonymousreply 21111/16/2012

R204 did u work for IBM?

They are notorious for laying off the worker bees and either do job elimination or move positions off shore.

They are bloated with executives making lots of $$$

by Anonymousreply 21211/16/2012

It all comes down to "How much is enough",these men already possess enough wealth for them and generations of their family to live in luxury in huge estates,yet they always want more and live in fear that someone is going to take a penny from them.That all just sounds like pathological greed.

by Anonymousreply 21311/16/2012

Reboot USA urging people to buy Papa John’s on Friday

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) -- The politics over pizza is heating up and on Friday there could be a rush for Papa Johns' pizza.

A group called Reboot USA that has conservative ties is urging people to buy Papa John's pizza on Friday. They've also created a Facebook page.

This all comes after owner John Schnatter came under fire for saying that some Papa John’s franchisees may decide to cut some workers hours to avoid providing health insurance under rules of President Obama's Affordable Care Act.

Papa John's isn't commenting right now on the move for the appreciation day. But not everyone is supporting Papa John's statement. You can see on their Facebook page, many people are saying they will boycott the chain.

by Anonymousreply 21411/16/2012

How many of his best customers might actually live longer to order more pizzas because of the Affordable Care Act?

by Anonymousreply 21511/16/2012

Hey, customers!

You are a bunch of assholes who force me to raise my prices and screw over my employees.

I hope those of you who have no other choice but to buy pizzas from me know how lucky you are!

by Anonymousreply 21611/16/2012

[quote]it is also a common lie told that those who want universal health care coverage are "anti-business".

True. Quite the opposite. I am a business owner and I want universal healthcare. I don't know why we are still burdening employers with it. Employers are not responsible for educating our children, building roads, bridges and tunnels, providing security (police and military), etc......or anything else that is necessary for the common good.

by Anonymousreply 21711/17/2012

good point.

by Anonymousreply 21811/17/2012

Papa John's Owner is an idiot and does not understand the American Free Enterprise System.

by Anonymousreply 21911/20/2012

If he renames it Pussy John's Pizza, I'll start buying it. He is, after all, a big pussy, a big, whiny pussy.

by Anonymousreply 22011/20/2012

R211 If The companies best interest is huge pay raises for the upper management, then you are correct!! Just like Hostess, tey took 300% raises, while refusing to give the workers a paltry raise. Papa John's top brass, will be the reason they go out of buissiness !!

by Anonymousreply 22111/20/2012

I think Friday would be a good day for all of the Papa John's employee's to call in sick. And without healthcare, there's no way they'll be well until next week.

by Anonymousreply 22211/20/2012

If you Papa John lovers actually had some good pizza, you wouldn't know what to do with yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 22311/25/2012
Need more help? Click Here.