Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ex–Bush advisor Karen Hughes screams with angry power

[quote]And if another Republican man says anything about rape other than it is a horrific, violent crime, I want to personally cut out his tongue. The college-age daughters of many of my friends voted for Obama because they were completely turned off by Neanderthal comments like the suggestion of “legitimate rape.”

by Anonymousreply 3003/29/2013

What nobody discusses about the rapey thing is that all these douches were backing up Paul Ryan's anti-abortion policy.

In order to get around the popular view that legal abortion should be available in cases of rape, which Ryan was worried would only encourage women to claim they were raped in order to get abortions, Ryan's bright idea was, just narrow the legal definition of rape so as to be practically nonexistent.

by Anonymousreply 211/09/2012

Karen Hughes? Isn't she a lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 311/09/2012

A little late to the party, Karen? Perhaps you should have released a statement before the election. But you probably didn't want to hoping that these asshole 'rape' guys would win.

So passive-aggressive to come out with your condemnation after the fact.

by Anonymousreply 411/09/2012

Ladies & ladies: I give you "the gender gap."

by Anonymousreply 511/09/2012

[quote]A little late to the party, Karen? Perhaps you should have released a statement before the election. But you probably didn't want to hoping that these asshole 'rape' guys would win.

Ding ding ding.

I hope she says this on some panel show and someone brings up exactly that point. Thanks, r4.

by Anonymousreply 711/09/2012

Karen has always pinged off the charts to me.

by Anonymousreply 811/09/2012

I start growing an especially angular mullet whenever I'm reminded that Karen exists.

by Anonymousreply 911/09/2012

There's a reason this woman jumped off the Bush train as soon as she could.

She's not that dumb.

by Anonymousreply 1011/09/2012

I haven't thought of Karen Hughes in years. What rock did she crawl out from under?

by Anonymousreply 1111/09/2012

She also fails to mention how similar their positions are with the republican platform, the same platform that was in effect when her boy Bush was in office.

Contraception and date rape are big deals to kids in college. They had more on the ball than their parents. The thing is, if the party would just leave contraception alone and allow abortion in cases of rape and incest (and, ideally life of the mother), it would be sufficient for many republicans. Fortunately, they are too stupid. Rush Limbaugh is more important to them than their own children.

by Anonymousreply 1211/09/2012

In case you've forgotten what the little dump cake Karen Hughes looks like...

by Anonymousreply 1311/09/2012

From one of the comments to the Hughes story--a point that needs to made over and over:

"One of the myths of this election the GOP/right wing/Hannity/ Hannity clones are already trying to push is The Democrats FORCED the American public to accept their definition of Romney and he never got to define himself .... this a blatant lie ... Romney is the one who most powerfully defined himself in one speech to donors . Romney got caught with his infamous 47% comment and the rest is HISTORY...

More American voters liked President Obama and his vision than liked Romney and his vision . simple and clean ..."

by Anonymousreply 1411/09/2012

ROmney was a lying cunting liar.

you can fool some of the people some of the time and you can fool most of the people . . . .

by Anonymousreply 1511/09/2012

Wow, R13. Is she Karl Rove's twin?

by Anonymousreply 1611/09/2012

If she meant that she should have stood up at those times and spoken out.

by Anonymousreply 1811/10/2012

The moderate Repubs are silent until after the fact. They are as much a problem as the wing nuts.

by Anonymousreply 1911/10/2012

Wasn't she the one that Bush appointed as a liaison to the Muslim community? How'd that work out for you?

Has she been relevant since, oh, 2006?

by Anonymousreply 2011/10/2012

When she was at her height of cluelessness...

Saudi Women Have Message for U.S. Envoy By STEVEN R. WEISMAN Published: September 28, 2005

JIDDA, Saudi Arabia, Sept. 27 - The audience - 500 women covered in black at a Saudi university - seemed an ideal place for Karen P. Hughes, a senior Bush administration official charged with spreading the American message in the Muslim world, to make her pitch.

Karen P. Hughes, the under secretary of state for public diplomacy, was hired to publicize American ideals in the Muslim world. But the response on Tuesday was not what she and her aides expected. When Ms. Hughes expressed the hope here that Saudi women would be able to drive and "fully participate in society" much as they do in her country, many challenged her.

"The general image of the Arab woman is that she isn't happy," one audience member said. "Well, we're all pretty happy." The room, full of students, faculty members and some professionals, resounded with applause.

(rest at link)

by Anonymousreply 2111/10/2012

[quote]than what two Republicans said about rape.

Actually it was more than two and it's not like the Repukes were appalled about what they said so they must have agreed, like you, and the rest of the rape lobby, R1.

by Anonymousreply 2211/10/2012

Female Republican party operatives like her are like the Log Cabinettes - they want power for themselves, but don't give a rat's ass about other women or gay people.

She's been perfectly happy to participate in the Republican party's War On Women, she's just unhappy that it didn't draw in more voters.

by Anonymousreply 2311/10/2012

Like Dubya, Karen Hughes owes her entire career to connections and nepotism and was very unqualified for the jobs she was handed.

It all worked out well for her though, as Bar would say, because as soon as Hughes left the White House she walked right into a cush, do-nothing job as a "global liason" (whatever the fuck that is) for Burson-Marsteller where she will collect a nice fat salary until she "retires" with a golden parachute.

In my next lifetime, I hope I get a free ride through life like that.

by Anonymousreply 2411/10/2012

Funny how things happen. Rove wanted Akin to withdraw and pulled all of the Crossroads billions out of his campaign.

It was the gift that kept on giving. Obama needs to buy him an Escalade or something.

by Anonymousreply 2511/10/2012

Claire McCaskill out-Roved Rove in funding Akin during primary season. Well played.

by Anonymousreply 2611/10/2012

[quote]The college-age daughters of many of my friends voted for Obama because...

Because your party is the party of failed policies. Republican destruction of the economy and giant debt and pointless wars is the reason their futures are so bleak.

And oh yeah, every time they open their mouths they do remind us their troglodytes in the social arena as well.

by Anonymousreply 2711/11/2012

Well, she has stated her boundaries...

by Anonymousreply 2811/11/2012

Well, I think it's nice that someone from within that party speaks out against those neanderthals. And yes, it was more than two Repubs. As a woman, if I was undecided those statements could absolutely sway me to vote democratic. There's a reason why women voted democratic in such large numbers.

by Anonymousreply 2911/11/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!