Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

White Privilege

Why isn't this mentioned as a key reason Mitt Romney was such an unappealing candidate?

by Anonymousreply 3603/04/2013

There are no people that Mitt hates. Those he hates he does not see as people.

by Anonymousreply 411/09/2012

White Privilege (imagine Oprah doing the same thing and what would happen):

Robert Lowell once said that whereas depression is an illness for oneself, mania is an illness for one's friends. Many of Lowell's writer friends penned anecdotes about his mania. Stanley Kunitz wrote about the time he visited Lowell at McLean's, and Lowell read him an improved version of the "Lycidas" that he'd written — firmly convinced that he, not John Milton, had written the original masterpiece as well. One friend who visited him at a London hospital told of how Lowell would entertain visitors with French liqueur he concealed in a repurposed aftershave bottle.

One of Lowell's Harvard poetry seminar students, James Atlas, wrote: "I had never witnessed one of these breakdowns, but I had heard about them in grim detail: Lowell showing up at William Alfred's house and declaring that he was the Virgin Mary; Lowell talking for two hours straight in class, revising a student's poem in the style of Milton, Tennyson, or Frost; Lowell wandering around Harvard Square without a coat in the middle of January, shivering, wild-eyed, incoherent. In the seminar room on the top floor of Holyoke Center, we waited nervously — perhaps even expectantly, given the status accorded anyone who had been present at one of these celebrated episodes — for it to happen before our eyes, watching eagerly for any manic soliloquies, references to Hitler, or outbursts of unnatural gaiety. These were the signs that Lowell had 'gone off' and would have to be put away."

After his episodes, when he'd regained his sanity, Lowell was inevitably embarrassed. He explained to a friend: "After the manic attack comes an incredible formless time of irresolution, forgetfulness, inertia, all the Baudelairean vices plus what he must never have known, stupidity."

by Anonymousreply 503/04/2013

I'm trying to understand what the fuck r5's post has to do with anything.

by Anonymousreply 603/04/2013

OP = insufferable troll

by Anonymousreply 703/04/2013

r5 is saying the white privilege extends to the reception of mental illness. If a white professor has psychotic breaks, they are legendary and termed "celebrated episodes."

If a person of color has psychotic breaks, they are often perceived in a harsh way. Even if Oprah was the subject of r5's story, the reception of her hypothetical mental illness would be subject to the latent racism of society.

by Anonymousreply 903/04/2013

R2 is right.

It wasn't white privilege; it was wealth privilege.

Mitt seems to be the epitome of "the One Percent". Son of a millionaire, running for office because he thought he deserved it.

He was too unrelatable and unlikable in a time when millions are facing economic hardship.

by Anonymousreply 1003/04/2013

And that "Beautiful Mind" guy wouldn't have been considered so beautiful if he were of a duskier hue.

by Anonymousreply 1103/04/2013

In a perverse way, Romney was fanatically inclusive. Rich, white, heterosexual males only.

by Anonymousreply 1203/04/2013

The trolling is getting desperate. So sad.

by Anonymousreply 1303/04/2013

White lesbians are the most privileged hyppocritical people out there. I wish they would all go away. I mean it. They bring gays down.

by Anonymousreply 1403/04/2013

Take R14's post, then replace "white lesbians" with your race and sexual orientation.

by Anonymousreply 1503/04/2013

r1, only delusional kooks think of that term.

by Anonymousreply 1603/04/2013

R8 you are seriously beyond stupid if you think OP is black.

by Anonymousreply 1703/04/2013

I disagree that it was anything other than his Mormon faith. Anyone who was offended by his wealth or priviledge wasn't going to vote Republican anyway. The real problem with Mitt was that the most right-wing of conservatives and Christians couldn't support a Mormon and simply didn't vote for him.

by Anonymousreply 1803/04/2013

This trolling is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 1903/04/2013

Priviledge = privilege

by Anonymousreply 2003/04/2013

White privilege definitely exists, with plausible deniability being a large benefit of it. Sure you can preten things are a-okay when you're at the top of the racial totem pole.

by Anonymousreply 2103/04/2013

Maybe he would have gone over better in the 90's when the economy was much better but he is insufferable and the fact that he is a Mormon was not even in the top 5 reasons I found him so awful.

by Anonymousreply 2203/04/2013

Well then r21, since we can just make things exist by declaring it to be so, I officially proclaim Santa Claus to be real. He exists!

If you dare deny it, you just prove it to be so!

Er... that's the logic, right?

by Anonymousreply 2303/04/2013

Because there are so many other reasons that this one barely registered...

by Anonymousreply 2403/04/2013

All this white-people bashing on DL is becoming quite tiresome. You simply cannot lump poor and rich white people into the same category. Classism has made it virtually impossible for whites to be stereotyped into a single group.

by Anonymousreply 2503/04/2013

Do you think Heath Ledger was ashamed of his white privilege? I wonder abut this all the time.

by Anonymousreply 2603/04/2013

I think that the people who put up John McCain and Mitt Romney against Barack Obama were counting on their whiteness giving them an edge over his blackness, but when it came right down to it they lost because when they were actually put alongside Obama, it was clear that Obama was the alpha. Like Bill Clinton, Obama projects an image of being trustworthy and in control. In comparison to him McCain came across as a doddering idiot (which he is) and Romney as a shifty, fast-talking jerk (which he is) and no amount of anti-Obama PR from the Republican machine could override that perception.

by Anonymousreply 2703/04/2013

Some people are willfully ignorant when it comes to the subject of white privilege. They like to benefit from it but it makes them uncomfortable to think about the unfairness of such preferential treatment based solely on race. I thank god for the brave and enlightened who stand against and shine a light such injustice in inequality. People like Academy Award Winner Jennifer Lawrence who has declared that she will turn down any role if she suspects she was given it over an actress of color due to white privilege. This amazing woman considers this act of solidarity with her sisters of every ethnicity her duty as with great power comes great responsibility.

by Anonymousreply 2803/04/2013

Well, hopefully one day Jennifer Lawrence will rule the world. First she has to act in some movies to get the public to fall in love with her.

With Mitt Romney it was very rich man arrogance. It turned off plenty of white people, too.

by Anonymousreply 2903/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 3003/04/2013

I am sympathetic with the idea behind the concept of "white privilege," but I think it doesn;t work well and it winds up doing as much harm as good because of its inadequacies.

For one thing, it presupposes that many things that are basic rights are "privileges": unreasonable stops and seizures, for example, are not a loss of privilege but a loss of basic human rights, so to say that white people get pulled over less by the cops is because of "white privilege" actually minimizes the injustice of what's being done to black people when they're pulled over just for being black (i.e. their civil rights are being infringed upon).

Also, it tends to lump all white experience together, as the present example shows: Mitt Romney grew up extraordinarily privileged, but to say his insensitivity stems from "white privilege" isn't really true. The life of a extremely poor white coal miner's kid in rural West Virginia has had almost nothing like Mitt Romney's life, despite the fact they are both white people. Indeed, to say that kid enjoys "white privilege" is true only in an extremely literal sense of the term: he's grown up with much greater disadvantages than advantages overall.

by Anonymousreply 3103/04/2013

I think it was just accepted from the start gate that Willard was completely out of touch with real Americans. He knows NASCAR team OWNERS and the like. He never played to the 47% he talked of.

by Anonymousreply 3203/04/2013

R27 and R31 are very insightful.

by Anonymousreply 3303/04/2013

What about the race card? I've been told it only exist in white folks mind, yet I've seen it happen. Seems to me they should offset.

by Anonymousreply 3403/04/2013

There seems to be a minority racist troll starting topics. This place is taking a hit in visitors. This isn't that type of forum.

by Anonymousreply 3503/04/2013

True, r34, except the race card rarely works with cops or the people following you around in stores, who may also be minorities.

by Anonymousreply 3603/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!