Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Advice about a dog I think is being abused / neglected

I moved into a new neighborhood this past summer and walk my dog all hours of the day. There is a beautiful German Shepherd in a back yard down the street that seems to be left outside 24 hours per day. Her yard is fenced but she's chained to a post in the yard. She comes over to the fence for petting so she's not afraid of people but I can only pet her nose through the fence.

Also, her teeth seem to be very worn down so I suspect she's chewing on the chain.

Now that it's cold out, I've walked by and have seen her out at midnight curled up in a ball with frost on the leaves in her yard. I've walked by again at 5:30 am and she was still curled up in the yard.

She doesn't seem to be underfed but very dispirited. I've tried to say hello to the owner but he's a recluse and perhaps using the dog for protection. I don't really know how to handle this but feel strongly that the dog is being abused, at a minimum, through neglect. Any advice on what to do? My gut instinct is telling me that I need to do something for this poor dog.

by Anonymousreply 5905/05/2013

Take the dog away from your fucked up neighbor. Call the ASPCA, the cops, whatever - just do it.

by Anonymousreply 211/09/2012

I think your local SPCA could give you the best advice. Please call! Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 311/09/2012

I think of Animal Cops when I hear of cases like this, but they're probably not available in all communities.

The problem with buying her would be the owner might just turn around and get another one without some sort of intervention from the law.

by Anonymousreply 411/09/2012

If you can steal her, do. Or you could report the abuse.

by Anonymousreply 511/09/2012

Do NOT steal the dog. You MUST go through the proper channels. Call your county's animal control department first. If they can't help, ask who can. Then work very hard to talk to the neighbor. He may be a recluse and he may be nasty, but he may surprise you. It's possible he just needs help.

Do try to give that dog a better life, but do it in the proper legal manner.

by Anonymousreply 711/09/2012

The ASPCA will investigate cruelty to animals. Call your local chapter and report it NOW, before it gets any colder. And report back to us!

by Anonymousreply 911/09/2012

Thank you everbody. I will definitely call the ASPCA tomorrow morning.

I can also post some pics I took of her today. What is the best website to upload them to and provide a link here?

Thanks again.

by Anonymousreply 1011/09/2012

OP, can you share the city/town in which the dog is located? Unfortunately, your results can vary depending on where you live. It might be better to contact the Humane Society rather than your ASPCA.

I'm so glad that you're going to help this poor dog. Shepherds are incredible, and I can't imagine how depressing it is for a pack animal to live in this sort of isolation. Thank you for your kindness.

by Anonymousreply 1111/09/2012

Thanks R11. I'm not sure what they will say. As I said, the dog doesn't seem to have been beaten and seems fed. Not sure if neglect or leaving a dog outside 24/7 is high on their list but I think it should be.

If this owner is using her for protection, it has definitely backfired as she is so isolated she came to me immediately, I think, out of loneliness.

by Anonymousreply 1211/09/2012

[quote] I can also post some pics I took of her today.

by Anonymousreply 1311/09/2012

R13 = Mitt & Ann Romney

by Anonymousreply 1411/09/2012

OP, please keep us updated.

by Anonymousreply 1511/10/2012

Is the owner Asian?

by Anonymousreply 1611/10/2012

Call PETA; they'll get some action on the problem. But do something NOW.

by Anonymousreply 1711/10/2012

She doesn't even have a dog house? Is she out in the rain and snow? That is definitely abuse and you should do something ASAP. I agree that they need to be reported or they will do it again. Good luck, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1811/10/2012

I've called them. Here's a pic of the Shepherd. She sleeps in the back corner of the fence where she's carved out some dirt.

by Anonymousreply 1911/12/2012

What a beautiful dog. That poor baby, sleeping out in the rain and snow, with no covering at all.

by Anonymousreply 2011/12/2012

Wow she's gorgeous! Personally, I'd steal her if the neighbor made it possible, but if I wasn't able to do that, then I'd definitely try to get her through animal control/SPCA.

by Anonymousreply 2111/12/2012

Steal him, bring him home and feed him, take him to the vet, keep him and love him. The dumbass dog abuser can go to hell.

by Anonymousreply 2311/12/2012

Please let us know what happens as a result of your call.

by Anonymousreply 2411/12/2012

Dogs are generally very social creatures. To be so isolated must be very hard on the poor animal.

by Anonymousreply 2511/12/2012

Thanks for the picture, OP. She is beautiful. Hope you can do something to help make her life better.

by Anonymousreply 2611/12/2012

I'm almost positive that is NOT a German Shepherd but a Belgian Tervuren. See link for a picture of one.

If she IS a Terv, there is bound to be a Terv rescue in your area. Just google Belgian Tervuren and your zip code and you'll find someone. Call them and say you know of an abused Terv and then just stand back and watch them spring into action. Belgian owners are amazing.

Good luck, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2711/12/2012

R27, thank you so much. I thought when I saw her that she might have been a German Shepherd mix. Now seeing your picture she looks exactly like that. I will take a full body picture and post.

by Anonymousreply 2811/12/2012

OP, that so-called owner needs to be reported. Belgians are a very special breed of dog, and only available from a breeder. I hope there is some way to find out where he got this dog from, because I promise you the breeder will be more than happy to take her back, especially given her circumstances.

The are extraordinarily intelligent dogs, smarter even than a border collie or a German shepherd. They are the police dog of choice in Europe and more and more often here in the US, too. If you ever see a police dog that looks like a Shepherd but is all tan colored, that's a Belgian Malinois.

Where are you located, OP? And please, please keep us posted on what happens to that beautiful girl.

by Anonymousreply 2911/12/2012

Don't just take her!! Go thru the authorities....a dog is property and you could be arrested for taking it.

by Anonymousreply 3011/12/2012

The only stealing stories I've heard that worked out were when someone was moving and they just grabbed their asshole neighbors dog on the go.

by Anonymousreply 3211/13/2012

They are right OP, do not steal him, my post was an emotional reaction to the situation...I did not want the dog to suffer one more second than she is. I hope they do something today about it. I can't stand it. You are a good person to give someone a voice who doesn't have one.

by Anonymousreply 3311/13/2012

PLEASE DO SOMETHING ASAP before the dog dies

by Anonymousreply 3411/13/2012

I knew of a situation where a friend went into the backyard after the people had left for work. She took the poor dog to a shelter and it was probably adopted. The point is, that couple never got a dog again.

by Anonymousreply 3511/13/2012

Report it. If there isn't a roof to protect her from the elements, in some states, an officer can issue a summons. Mostly though, if you report it then an animal officer can offer help to a damaged owner. Maybe something is going on there. Usually the case. By reporting it, you will be doing both animal and owner a service. Don't think you're ratting someone out. Think that you're getting help for both of them. Many times the pet is kept outside because they ruin their homes with accidents and destructive behavior. The animal officer can provide ways around that so everyone wins.

by Anonymousreply 3611/13/2012

What R34 said. Please keep us posted.

by Anonymousreply 3711/13/2012

Yes! Report it. Though anecdotally, I will tell you that my sister stole a dog from no-account neighbors. He was a mostly-German Shepherd mix, and quite large. They left him running around the neighborhood, and she started feeding him, then took him in, decided she would keep him, and took him to the vet, got him shots, treated his neglect (including a bad case of mange), and the family eventually moved away without comment.

Wolfie lived to a ripe old age, and if you even looked sideways at my sister, he'd give you the snarl.

by Anonymousreply 3811/13/2012

Ok, this post is four days old and you haven't reported it, OP?

by Anonymousreply 3911/13/2012

My town has a society that got the town to pass a law to prevent dogs from being chained for longer than one hour unattended. The town doesn't run around looking for chained dogs but relies on members of this group to handle the calls and then follow up on the complaint. Some dogs are still allowed to be tied up, with runs and without chains and this group will come out and build enclosures for the tough cases, like the ones who are spectacular escape artists.

by Anonymousreply 4011/13/2012

I have just spoken with the Humane Society Investigator. This is happening in Pennsylvania and PA law states that if a dog is left out 24/7 it must have sufficient shelter to retain its body heat. Typically this would be a dog house (which she does not have.) If the dog does not seem to be abused otherwise, no other laws are being broken.

They prefer to work with and educate the owner to resolve the issue. They have dog houses they can provide free of charge. I gave the address and they will go out and speak with the owner today if they can contact him. They will then go by periodically to double check.

by Anonymousreply 4111/13/2012

r22/r31 = psycho

by Anonymousreply 4211/13/2012

Glad to hear it OP. you did good.

by Anonymousreply 4411/13/2012

OP, any further news? Or any more pictures?

by Anonymousreply 4511/16/2012

Beautiful dog. Keep us posted, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4611/16/2012

I thought we'd get a very special Thanksgiving episode, but no...

by Anonymousreply 4711/22/2012

Steal the dog and take her to a shelter.

by Anonymousreply 4811/22/2012

How did you make out OP? Is the dog ok?

by Anonymousreply 4912/01/2012

Op, please let us know how the dog is doing and if you have had any progress. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 5012/04/2012

OP, are you still around? Has anything happened/changed in the dog's circumstances?

by Anonymousreply 5101/18/2013

"Steal the dog and take her to a shelter."

The owners will just get another hapless victim to "protect" their property. They consider animals slaves.

by Anonymousreply 5201/20/2013

There's a special place in hell for people who are cruel to animals. Hearing stories like this makes me so upset.

by Anonymousreply 5301/20/2013

[quote] This is happening in Pennsylvania

And probably in a somewhat rural area of PA, no?

I grew up there and people are really stupid and cruel about leaving dogs outside. PA is very backwards and dumb about a lot of things, and this is one of them.

by Anonymousreply 5401/20/2013

We don't get many updates on Datalounge but here is one about the dog:

She now has a plastic dog house in her yard that she sleeps in at night and a bed on the porch next to the house. R54, this in Pittsburgh.

The dog actually seems very healthy albeit lonely. My dog and I walk by her yard every day and we give her a treat and scratch her. She is definitely not afraid of people so I don't think she's being abused. She pushes her body against the fence to get more scratching.

by Anonymousreply 5505/05/2013

I am equally starved for affection.

by Anonymousreply 5605/05/2013

Thank you for the update, OP. At least she made it through the winter, that's good to know.

Is she ALWAYS in the yard? Just because she seems unafraid doesn't mean she's getting the attention she needs. Dogs are social creatures, they are pack animals. They don't thrive in solitary conditions.

Obviously somebody (animal control?) got through to the owner to provide her with shelter and the bed. Do you think it would be possible to approach the owner? Would you be willing to do that? Maybe suggest (only if you are willing AND able) to take her along when you take your dog for a walk, just to allow her some exercise and socialization.

I know that's a long shot, most people aren't able to do what I suggested. And if you aren't, maybe try calling a local dog rescue group (there aren't any Belgian rescues in the Pittsburgh area, unfortunately) and see if they can give you some advice, or possibly try what I've suggested.

Good luck, OP, please let us know if anything changes in her status.

by Anonymousreply 5705/05/2013

Good advice R57 at least the poor thing will get some interaction. This breaks my heart.

by Anonymousreply 5805/05/2013

Thanks OP. it sounds like it's somewhat better but I still feel sorry for the dog.

by Anonymousreply 5905/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!