Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Fordham pres not happy about Ann Coulter...

The College Republicans have invited her to speak, and in a strongly-worded letter, he says he'll let it go on, but:

{quote]“to say that I am disappointed with the judgment and maturity of the College Republicans, however, would be a tremendous understatement. There are many people who can speak to the conservative point of view with integrity and conviction, but Ms. Coulter is not among them. Her rhetoric is often hateful and needlessly provocative—more heat than light—and her message is aimed squarely at the darker side of our nature.”

There are still some Jesuits out there who speak truth to power.

by Anonymousreply 3011/11/2012

"There are many people who can speak to the conservative point of view with integrity and conviction"

unfortunately, they're all progressives.

by Anonymousreply 111/09/2012

You know, although they are Catholic assholes just like all the rest, I've always had a soft spot for the Jesuits. At least they believe in science and rigorous scholarship.

by Anonymousreply 211/09/2012

A lot of Fordham alums are not happy about this...and clearly enough of them have contacted the school that the president issued a statement about it.

by Anonymousreply 311/09/2012

"I've always had a soft spot for the Jesuits."

You've obviously never had the pleasure of dealing with Rev. Lawrence Biondi, SJ, the head of St. Louis University. A major bully and pompous blowhard who threatened to move the entire operation out of the city of St. Louis when he wasn't allowed to raze an entire neighborhood around the medical school campus.

by Anonymousreply 411/09/2012

No, I haven't deal with him, R4, but I did say up front that I knew they were Catholic assholes just like the rest.

by Anonymousreply 511/09/2012

r4, you need to look up the term "casuistry."

by Anonymousreply 611/09/2012

There's nothing hotter than Jesuit cock.

by Anonymousreply 711/09/2012

We ran her off the campus up here in Canada and had her engagement cancelled. We don't put up with her kind.

by Anonymousreply 811/09/2012

It is a documented fact that Church of Satan founder Father Joseph McShane fisted Christopher Stevens with an aborted fetus lubed with Michelle Obama's spit as he lay dying in Benghazi.

by Anonymousreply 911/09/2012

Her talk has been cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 1011/10/2012

I think they handled this with class.

I can see how they got there. These are young people, with the judgment of youth, and they've grown up in an era where having the likes of Ann Coulter at your podium is taken for granted as acceptable. The President articulated a more logical and reasoned point of view, the students considered and listened, and now no Coulter. I think the whole situation was handled well. And hopefully, the handling of this situation, will lead others to think before even inviting that side show harridan.

I'm impressed. It's things like this show there is hope the other side is learning a few things.

by Anonymousreply 1111/10/2012

Totally agree R11. Congratulations to the president for allowing Coulter to appear, with his logical reasons and reminders and to the students for thinking of their university and the Jesuit mission before they thought of political hoopla and controversy.

by Anonymousreply 1211/10/2012

"That Fordham President it such a retard."

by Anonymousreply 1311/10/2012

I hope Coulter read the president's statement. (See R10's link.)

You'd have to be dead on the inside for its message to be lost on you.

by Anonymousreply 1411/10/2012

Good. At least she won't get her speaking fee whatever it is.

by Anonymousreply 1511/10/2012

fr. McShane's comments should be required reading for all Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 1611/11/2012

She'll use it as part of her persecution shtick.

Meanwhile, at least, she is quickly going out of style.

by Anonymousreply 1711/11/2012

I mean AT LAST

by Anonymousreply 1811/11/2012

What does she get paid for her college talking-head appearances? First-class plane ticket and the use of a gay hairdresser and make-up man?

I've always said she's be great in CHICAGO as either Velma or Roxy or Billy Flynn, the lawyer.

by Anonymousreply 1911/11/2012

Coulter's regular speaking fee is $20,000.

by Anonymousreply 2011/11/2012

What does Fox pay her? Anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 2111/11/2012

This is an important first step in getting her silenced. First the speaking trash, next the books.

by Anonymousreply 2211/11/2012

R23, the president said that she would be allowed on campus and urged everyone to be civil. Jesuit education requires discussion from all sides, not just one. The robots are at Notre Dame, not the Jesuit schools.

by Anonymousreply 2411/11/2012

And if you'll notice the response from the College Republicans, when they cancelled, they said it was because they weren't really familiar with her, she was just within their budget.

WHY do I think that's not completely true?

by Anonymousreply 2511/11/2012

Okay, I know he's a Catholic, and thus automatically suspect, but that Pres sounds like a very cool guy.

From his comment on the topic (linked above):

[quote]As members of a Jesuit institution, we are called upon to deal with one another with civility and compassion, not to sling mud and impugn the motives of those with whom we disagree or to engage in racial or social stereotyping. In the wake of several bias incidents last spring, I told the University community that I hold out great contempt for anyone who would intentionally inflict pain on another human being because of their race, gender, sexual orientation, or creed.

Note that sexual orientation is included in that last sentence. I wonder how the Vatican feels about that.

by Anonymousreply 2611/11/2012

Or just assassination R22.

by Anonymousreply 2711/11/2012

Oops, not a freeper asshole, lol. That was left over from another comment I didn't post on another thread.

by Anonymousreply 2811/11/2012

R26, you have to know the Jesuits; they're a whole different groups of clerics. A Jesuit friend of mine told me fifteen years ago that JP2's appointment of conservative bishops meant that the church was going to try to purge its ranks of all but the orthodox believers, so they would have no more controversies and more control. So we should look for intolerant statements and policies which thinking people would despise and be driven away. He was right. This is absolutely what is being done.

by Anonymousreply 2911/11/2012

R23 the concept of free speech does not apply to private institutions. No one is stopping her from expressing herself. Free speech does not mean everyone must listen to what someone had to say. Free speech does not mean one can say whatever they want wherever they want.

by Anonymousreply 3011/11/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!