Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Mapping racist Tweets in response to President Obama's re-election

Interesting read

-----

Mapping racist Tweets in response to President Obama's re-election

Data-mapping experts from the Floating Sheep blog mapped geo-located Tweets containing racist language during the build-up to the US election. How did patterns vary from state to state?

(Full article/data at link)

by Anonymousreply 611/12/2012

Those tweets were all from black people tweeting KILL WHITEY!!!

by Anonymousreply 111/09/2012

A few years ago I went to visit my sister and brother-in-law (picture American Gothic in Camouflage) in rural Georgia. As I recall, there were two topics of conversation - racist jokes about black people in general and Obama in particular and the best way to pull the innards of a dead deer through his asshole.

When the racist jokes began, I excused myself and went into the trailer, uh sorry, modular home. When I came out, they were kind enough to take my hint and the jokes stopped.

Recently, I received a multi-addressed email regarding how bad Obama is for taking Bill Clinton's advice, since Clinton is an impeached no-nothing. This time, I responded "to all," and gave them a piece of my mind.

I'm not surprised that most of these tweet are coming from Georgia and Alabama. The only thing these people have in common with Mittens is that they're white, pink really, and that's basically it.

I remember they asked Butterfly McQueen about bigotry and she responded. "Well, in some cases, that's all those people have [is their bigotry], so no, I wouldn't want to take it away from them."

by Anonymousreply 211/09/2012

The title of this thread can be read a different way--- "a racist who does mapping has tweeted ...." That's how I first read it anyway.

With respect to the map -- why the hell is someone tweeting about this from the tip of the Yucatan Peninsula?

by Anonymousreply 311/09/2012

Thanks for posting this, OP. It made for some good reading.

by Anonymousreply 411/10/2012

No shocker.

I went to the Univ. of Georgia and was placed freshman year in a great dorm. But my roomie was a 3rd year black woman. I was a white kid from Minnesota and ALL of my other freshman friends were SHOCKED, shocked that my parents would "let me live" with a black woman. And these were girls from upper middle class backgrounds. They said their parents would NEVER let them room with "a black."

by Anonymousreply 511/12/2012

Interesting, R5.

Thanks for the info.

by Anonymousreply 611/12/2012
Need more help? Click Here.