Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I LOVE MATT TAIBBI

Mitt Romney could have easily won the presidential election if he and his party had realized that they were turning people off, according to Matt Taibbi.

"If they were self-aware at all, Mitt Romney would probably be president right now," Taibbi wrote in a blog post for Rolling Stone late Thursday.

He argued that Republicans' message about financial responsibility could resonate with a lot of people, but unfortunately it is a cover for their belief that women and minorities are "parasites."

Modern Republicans "have so much of their own collective identity wrapped up in the belief that they're surrounded by free-loading, job-averse parasites who not only want to smoke weed and have recreational abortions all day long, but want hardworking white Christians like them to pay the tab," Taibbi wrote. "Their whole belief system...is inherently insulting to everyone outside the tent – and you can't win votes when you're calling people lazy, stoned moochers."

Minorities and women voted overwhelmingly for Obama in the presidential election. Fifty-five percent of women voted for Obama, according to CNN's exit polls. Obama also won nearly three-quarters of the Latino vote, more than 90 percent of the black vote, and 73 percent of the Asian-American vote, according to exit polls.

Some comments by Romney may have played a role. Romney told donors in a video leaked before the election that 47 percent of Americans "are dependent upon government," "believe that they are victims," and "believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it."

President Barack Obama trounced Romney in the electoral college, winning 332 electoral votes compared to Romney's 206. But the election was not a total victory for Democrats. Obama won the popular vote by a closer margin: 50.5 percent compared to Romney's 48.0 percent. Republicans also kept the House of Representatives, and Democrats did not gain enough seats in the Senate to prevent future filibusters by Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 1002/22/2014

There were so many things that Romney/Ryan did wrong, I'm shocked actually he won as many votes as he did

by Anonymousreply 111/09/2012

Good post. However, so much attention has been paid by both sides to high percentage of black, Latino and other minority voters who voted for Obama. I think it is more instructive for Republicans to realize that even states with overwhelingly white majorities (Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Oregon, Colorado, Washington) also voted for Obama in huge numbers as well. The Repugs continue to live in some sort of bubble where they believe that the people who voted for Obama are all low-educated "takers" (code word: minorities). They need to realize that huge numbers of college-educated, professional white people voted for Obama as well.

by Anonymousreply 211/09/2012

This thread is about Matt Taibbi, but we owe David Corn a huge debt of gratitude too.

by Anonymousreply 311/09/2012

R3 is right.

(I love David Corn but can we all chip in and buy him some lips?)

by Anonymousreply 411/09/2012

ALSO the anonymous waiter or bartender who secretly taped Mitt's "47%" remarks....

by Anonymousreply 511/09/2012

I wonder if the recorder will ever sell his/her story or will just remain unknown. I would like to see him/her rewarded, but at the same time, there is such poetic justice about a lone, anonymous everyman or everywoman, a nobody like you and me, who can do brave and great things.

by Anonymousreply 611/09/2012

He's joining Glenn Greenwald on his new site.

Excited!

I hope exposes all of these fuckers as whores for Wall Street.

Bush1, Clinton, Bush2, Obama- they are all just pimps for the big banks and big corporations.

by Anonymousreply 702/21/2014

It wasn't a waiter, but somebody who paid and posed as a supporter, no?

by Anonymousreply 802/21/2014

R1 - I'm not convinced that he did get that many votes considering all the shit Republicans have been doing in the past few elections.

I read that Chan stopped some vote stealing tactics in Ohio - which is what that scumbag Karl Rove was crowing about will happen.

Matt's written some excellent articles over the years. I try to read them without a liberal bias so that they don't seem like hack pieces. But I have to say, most of it rings true.

by Anonymousreply 902/21/2014

It was a bartender, his name is Scott Prouty, he's very cool.

by Anonymousreply 1002/22/2014
Need more help? Click Here.