Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is anybody else not buying this "shocked" response by the GOP?

I have a really hard time believing this shit. You can't tell me there wasn't ONE person inside the campaign or in the GOP the did the numbers correctly, looked at the state by state polls or at the very least even considered the possibility of Nate Silver's analysis being possible.

This is nothing more than another Republican denial talking point. Basically they're still touting the line, "He's black, he can't be a real president" bullshit. They're just allowing their followers another line of doubt and denial and helping them to create their own conspiracy theories.

This who "We didn't see it coming" crap is just another lie and another strategy of delegitimizing the President's win.

by Anonymousreply 4011/10/2012

They sincerely do not believe white people WANT an Obama presidency. They honestly thought it was a "for a historic moment" and not that people are tired of Repub bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 111/09/2012

The dimwits pandered to the fundies and they got what they deserved...I'm not surprised about their stupidity. They believed their own lies.

by Anonymousreply 211/09/2012

I totally believe it.

In his concession speech, Romney teared up. The cameras graciously panned the audience...for almost 30 seconds...while he regained his composure.

I would love to see pictures of his face during that 30 seconds.

He was absolutely certain he won...just like the Emperor thought his new clothes were real.

by Anonymousreply 311/09/2012

I think they assumed votes were bought and they election was rigged so they would win no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 411/09/2012

They expected voter fraud to do God's work. Didn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 511/09/2012

They are freaking out because they have spent several generations demonizing minorities and they just got bitch slapped by karma and are realizing they are now a minority.

by Anonymousreply 611/09/2012

I don't buy it either. They're selling "voter fraud" and "this election was stolen from us" to the FauxNews masses.

by Anonymousreply 711/09/2012

They believed the polls were oversampling Democrats, and that Nate Silver's analysis was wrong because it was based on skewed polls. Their own internal polling oversampled Republicans, thinking the Democrat turnout of 2008 was an anomaly. As a result, their polls all indicated a Romney win -- especially when they factored in the voter suppression efforts of the Republican machine in Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania.

by Anonymousreply 811/09/2012

I buy it for several reasons:

1) There is no gain for them admitting that they were this off base.

2) The press was saying to the last minute that this would be a close race that either could win.

3) Romney did get a real boost from the first debate. A great many, Republicans and Democrats, saw Romney as having momentum, and momentum in the last couple weeks of an election historically indicates victory.

4) Most people on both sides of the aisle are surprised that youth and minority vote was up, not down, from 2008.

5) They are a quixotic party, as their all but complete ineptness during this campaign has shown.

6) Besides being quixotic, Romney is perhaps the most egocentric national leader the country has seen in ages and he has always believed he would become president.

by Anonymousreply 911/09/2012

Honestly I think the only momentum that Romney got were the people who remained undecided about the election but probably were going to vote for him anyway committed at that point. Until then he had been such a doofus that it finally allowed them to commit.

And if you follow Nate Silver that momentum slowed down within a week after the other debates but they kept cherry-picking polls (including the embarrassing Gallup) to show that the momentum was continuing.

by Anonymousreply 1011/09/2012

To be fair, this kind of surprise anal-ysis is very hard to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 1111/09/2012

I think that they thought that the fix was in - and something went REALLY wrong...

by Anonymousreply 1211/09/2012

oh DL, let me translate what happened into Eldergay so you can understand what really happened

by Anonymousreply 1311/09/2012

I'm not buying it either, OP.

In 2008, there were times when the Electoral College projections actually showed McCain ahead of Obama. But in post-election interviews, members of the McCain camp admitted that they had known pretty much all along that McCain was likely to lose.

Romney's campaign people would have to be complete idiots if they honestly believed that Romney was likely to win.

I agree with the OP that it's all a GOP talking point designed to deligitimize Obama's win by convincing gullible people that:

(1) Romney's internal polls were right, so the Democrats must have used fraud and other dirty tricks in order for Obama to win.

(2) Romney had momentum and was definitely on track to win until Hurricane Sandy at the last minute stopped his momentum.

by Anonymousreply 1411/09/2012

Three words: The Empty Chair.

That chair became the symbol of the GOP. it represented every delusion within that party, so no, I'm not surprised by their shock.

by Anonymousreply 1511/09/2012

I am not buying it either. Yes, the popular vote was going to be close but at no point during the entire campaign was Romney anywhere even close to the president in the electoral vote count. Of course, there had to be some in the Romney campaign who knew what was going on. Romney was living in a Potemkin village and those in the know were keeping it to themselves, not wanting to take the risk that Romney voters might just stay home if word of his bleak prospect escaped. So, they kept it quiet and allowed the easily led to believe that Romney was going to win. No wonder they are shell shocked. I couldn't be happier and I have not even an iota of sympathy, compassion or empathy for any of them. There is a percentage of that party who would put us into camps if they could. Fuck, them!

by Anonymousreply 1611/09/2012

What else can they claim?

Oh, we saw the writing at the wall, but well, what else could we do at that point?

We thought the voter fraud would do the trick ... oh, did I say that out loud?

God came to me in a dream and told me we ... hey, what's with the straightjacket?

Romney did all the right things and said all the right stuff and ... and we are still puzzled what went wrong!

The lamestream media bullied us! We are victims, VIIIIIICTIMS!

by Anonymousreply 1711/09/2012

I don't doubt that the shock is real. As the campaign wound down, they kept talking about how the "Romney internals" were so different and bitching about polling models.

The rank and file follow Faux bullshit and believe it's the truth so of course they are shocked. The Romney team has proved their stupidity many times over and Romney himself is an egomaniac so it's not that surprising they fell for it (though the professionals *must* have known).

It's people like George Will and Haley Barbour whose "omg! I'm shocked" routines are surprising to me. They are old hands, smart, not easily fooled by campaign hype. How could they have bought into the Faux Noise jfairytale.

The only two Republicans I've seen who weren't shocked are Steve Schmidt and Michael Steele but then I watch a lot of MSNBC so that figures.

by Anonymousreply 1811/09/2012

ILU r13. Perfect.

by Anonymousreply 1911/09/2012

Shock for the sheep, faux shock for the wolves (Rove, Hannity, Coulter, etc) who make their livings off of those sheep.

by Anonymousreply 2011/09/2012

Some of you are confusing "shellshocked" with being, necessarily, a rational response to facts.

I have no doubt Romney is shellshocked.

The fact that his being shellshocked is irrational and based on a ridiculous notion of what would have happened Tuesday is completely beside the point.

Romney and his party, by and large, have no interest in facts.

by Anonymousreply 2111/09/2012

r14 and r16 echo my thoughts.

Another thing I will add to the evidence that someone knew the reality ahead of time is how quickly the staffers cards were cancelled. The RR campaign can preach and prance all they want about their "surprise" but whomever was watching the MONEY sure wasn't shell-shocked. The bank was contacted as fast as Romney could feel the first tears trickle down his sad face.

But the other option I could believe that Rove had a fix arranged that didn't work. He was scratching and clinging to a win in Ohio with every inch of his long crusty wicked nails. He did not want it called until those "final numbers" came in.

This is a man of reasonable intelligence. He knew those "Republican" counties he was listing off had no where near the population that the last Democratic county had. He knew the real numbers but he was absolutely certain something was going to come in that would push Romney over the top.

I'm willing to be that 50 years down the road, those of us that are still alive, will be reading a fascinating investigative analysis about 2012 and the Fix was found and stopped before it could happen.

Nothing was said publicly because Obama is going to use it for leverage in his second term. Rove will be hung out to dry like so many b-grade sniveling movie villains.

by Anonymousreply 2211/09/2012

The rank and file may be shocked but not the insiders.

They've known for months they were going to lose.

This is playing to the audience. It's to make their stupid followers reject logic, mathematics, science, education and truth even more virulently than before.

"This is not your father's electorate" -- Dick Morris. What he really means "Black and brown people stole it."

by Anonymousreply 2311/09/2012

I don't know if anyone has the goods on them but I agree that in addition to voter suppression tactics, the fix was in for Florida (which could have worked) and Ohio - where it didn't work at all.

The one thing I heard on MSNBC, I think it was yesterday, was about Rove standing off-camera, on the phone to the Romney campaign. The Romnette was telling Rove that Ohio being called was wrong and all the reasons why it was wrong. It was after that call from a "Romney senior staffer" that Rove came back to the desk and started bullying the Faux team to rescind the Ohio call.

I actually liked the Faux team Megan talked to in the back room. "We're very comfortable with the call we made in Ohio" and "the counties that are still out are heavily Democratic there aren't enough votes left to overcome that." HA. Truth from Faux-hacks. I never expected that.

by Anonymousreply 2411/09/2012

I totally agree.

by Anonymousreply 2511/09/2012

[quote]The one thing I heard on MSNBC, I think it was yesterday, was about Rove standing off-camera, on the phone to the Romney campaign. The Romnette was telling Rove that Ohio being called was wrong and all the reasons why it was wrong. It was after that call from a "Romney senior staffer" that Rove came back to the desk and started bullying the Faux team to rescind the Ohio call.

I remember that too. Rove actually said something like, "I am on the phone with the secretary of state in Ohio.." or something along those lines before he corrected himself.

by Anonymousreply 2611/09/2012

I absolutely believe them. They were convinced that the turnout would look more like 2004 than 2008. They did not anticipate that their efforts to suppress minority votes would have the opposite effect. Their worst case scenario was probably 2008 levels of Democratic turnout. The turnout was higher.

by Anonymousreply 2711/09/2012

I swear there was an article a couple months ago talking about the discouragement in Romney's camp and how volunteers and staffers were leaving the campaign. This was before the first debate and Romney's supposed momentum. I want to say it was around the time the 47% video went public and Romney refused to apologize or even spin his comments. Anyone remember this? Poll troll?

by Anonymousreply 2811/09/2012

There was an article that said Paul Ryan was considering what else he might do if they don't win.

They knew.

by Anonymousreply 2911/09/2012

R23, I know of so many conservative and traditional White voters who have always voted Democratic, because they identify with the party of the immigrant and struggling rather than that of the wealthy and privileged. I think it has less to do with income than with their family traditions, even if they are 2nd and 3rd generation Americans. Everything MR did and said pushed this group far away from the Republican Party.

by Anonymousreply 3011/09/2012

I totally buy it. Republicans are so divorced from realty, living in such a tight little bubble of delusion, listening only to their propagandistic echo-chamber, that they're constantly "shocked" by reality any time it manages to intrude on their perceptions.

by Anonymousreply 3111/09/2012

I wonder what circumvented Rove's fix in Ohio? I'm eager to know how they prevented Republican machine tampering again.

by Anonymousreply 3211/09/2012

They can only "steal" very close elections, otherwise it's "too obvious". And Ohio wasn't anywhere hear close enough. in fact, their attempts at voter suppression actually backfired, motivating more minorities to vote, and to stand in line longer (while Romney voters were more likely to leave really long lines).

by Anonymousreply 3311/09/2012

The Republicans I know, actually want to return to what THEY thought was the if girls didn't get pregnant in the 1950s and people didn't need healthcare in the 1950s...completely creeps me out.

by Anonymousreply 3411/09/2012

Thanks for the laugh, r13. It also happens to be true.

by Anonymousreply 3511/09/2012

I know they planned on stealing the Ohio vote and I'm sure Rove was extremely disappointed.

I think there was a problem with a voting machine in WI also.

by Anonymousreply 3611/09/2012

I'm betting all the press about the software "patches" dampened the deal - also the press about Romney jr owning Ohio's machines.

People were watching too closely and if the courts knew which machines hat those Patches- maybe someone was watching them closely.

Someone backed off.

I can't wait for the lifetime movie about the reformed citizen techy who ruined the plan.

by Anonymousreply 3711/10/2012

Contrary to popular belief, I don't think it's old people who take these polls- it's the young ones who are internet savvy and politically active.

Other factors were: an improving economy; lack of a platform ("I'm not the Negro" apparently wasn't enough); Mormonism; Bain Capital; "You 47%-ers"; redesigning Medicare; Seamus the Dog; geekozoid Paul Ryan; his snooty wife and "Mitt" not being the kinda guy NASCAR Dads want to have a beer with (too fidgety, chilly and odd: "The trees here- they're the right height!")

by Anonymousreply 3811/10/2012

Yup, Mittens is a guy who makes the President look LESS like a Vulcan.

by Anonymousreply 3911/10/2012

I agree, r37. Plus, A lot of early and absentee voting that left a paper trail might have helped negate election day machine fraud. Why do you think the Obama camp was telling people to vote early and the FL SOS was busy negating thousands of absentee votes in Dem areas?

Plus, in his election night speech the president said "We gotta do something about that" about all the voter disenfranchisement.

Oh and early on election day a Reddit user posted video of his voting machine flipping Obana votes to Romney, so people were on guard.

by Anonymousreply 4011/10/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!