Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Dataloungers living in the Commonwealth - Do You Wear A Red Poppy?

Canada, Australia, the UK anyone living in the Commonwealth.

Do You Wear A Red Poppy?

If not why not?

Explain and discuss

by Anonymousreply 3811/11/2013

Of course I wear a poppy. It's just wrong not to. There should be no explanation required.

by Anonymousreply 111/09/2012

Here in America we mark the occasion with sales! Sale! SALES!

by Anonymousreply 211/09/2012

Actually, an explanation IS required.

The remembrance poppy (a Papaver rhoeas) has been used since 1920 to commemorate soldiers who have died in war. Inspired by the World War I poem "In Flanders Fields", they were first used by the American Legion to commemorate American soldiers who died in that war (1914–1918). They were then adopted by military veterans' groups in the Commonwealth; especially the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Today, they are mainly used in Britain and Canada to commemorate their servicemen and women who have been killed since 1914. There, small artificial poppies are often worn on clothing on Remembrance Day/Armistice Day (11 November) and in the weeks before it. Poppy wreaths are also often laid at war memorials.

The remembrance poppy is especially prominent in Britain in the weeks leading up to Remembrance Sunday. They are sold by The Royal British Legion for its "Poppy Appeal" and it is seen as befitting for public figures to wear one, which some have berated as "poppy fascism". The poppy is especially controversial in Northern Ireland and most Irish nationalists refuse to wear one due to the actions of the British Army during The Troubles. There has also been controversy over their introduction to the world of sport.

by Anonymousreply 311/09/2012

I usually buy one, but the 2 people who have been selling them in front of the plaza I go to, are creepy Jesus freak types, I need to find a box to make a donation this year least my donation spawns a "Halleluiah Praise Jesus" comment.

by Anonymousreply 511/10/2012

We have this American lout as a boss... Texan from central casting... moved up here to run our department. The stories I could tell... but he had no clue what the poppy was for or why everybody was wearing one and seemed, when told, to be vaguely suspicious about it. So odd, those people.

Mind you, I met a lovely Massachusetts liberal earlier this year who was genuinely convinced all Canadian spoke only French.

I wish Remembrance Day was a statutory holiday up here... it would be good to honour the veterans and Canadians being Canadians, I suspect an impressive number would turn out for the ceremonies at the cenotaphs and such.

by Anonymousreply 611/10/2012

Yes. It's only right. I had a nice conversation with an older gentleman veteran the other day too when I bought it.

by Anonymousreply 711/10/2012

Why I Won't Wear A Red Poppy By Deidre Hall

I believe that television shows are not a forum for expressing personal religious, social or political views. However, I have not objected when fellow performers have worn red poppy to express their support for war veterans; that's their choice. My choice is NOT to wear a poppy.

Readers should know wearing a red poppy is no longer entirely voluntary. Those who began by offering poppys to performers now resort to extreme tactics in pursuit of their express goal of 100 percent conformity. When performers arrive, individuals who attempt to pin poppys on them accost them. A performer who declines may be accosted at the pre-show, again while waiting backstage and after the show.

Offering these poppys to celebrities was, in my view, a benign and pro-social act. On the other hand, aggressively badgering performers to compel the wearing of poppys is no only demeaning to war veterans and to the desperate need of continued support, but an offense against personal freedom.

By attempting to force 100 percent conformity, these activists are now attempting to make the red poppy a visible litmus test for separating those individuals who empathize with war veterans from those who do not. This is a misguided and dangerous notion.

First, it misguidedly politicizes human tragedy. These red poppys provide a means by which public figures can appear to make a 'politically correct' statement in favor of a cause they do not support.

Second, any attempt to force conformity to a single social agenda attacks the freedom of expression. The extreme activities that resort to harassment to compel actors and actresses to wear these poppys are practicing a '90s brand of McCarthyism – and their behavior is deplorable. Our community was devastated by political extremists in the 1950s and again became a target during the last presidential campaign. It surpasses belief that men and women in the entertainment field would resort to shameful practices that the enemies of artistic freedom have used against us.

Sadly, it falls to some of us who ardently support war veterans and programs to resist these tactics by personal example. Believe me, the easy way out would be to pin the poppy on and keep silent. But I won't, because I don't want these appalling tactics to succeed.

by Anonymousreply 811/10/2012

I never felt any pressure to wear a poppy in a negative sense. I'm happy to wear a poppy. It's a sign of respect and mindfulness.

by Anonymousreply 911/10/2012

I tend not to wear one as I live in Northern Ireland and am a public servant. I always used to wear one when living across the water though. It's a shame that Ireland can't join in the commemorations as many many Irish soldiers died in the Somme and have done so since but I understand why they don't as well.

by Anonymousreply 1011/10/2012

Doesn't Deidre have a point? Why are people trying to achieve 100 percent conformity?

by Anonymousreply 1111/10/2012

It's just on TV. Nobody forces you to wear them at any other time. Most people support the British Legion poppy appeal independently and if they don't then it's fine too.

by Anonymousreply 1211/10/2012

Yes, I wear one. As a child, schools always stressed what this day meant and there would be a minute of silence in the gym during the ceremony. Today, I work as a public servant and many of my co-workers are former military personnel.

by Anonymousreply 1311/10/2012

But Deidre says 100 percent conformity on TV is wrong.

by Anonymousreply 1411/10/2012

I wear a green carnation.

by Anonymousreply 1511/10/2012

OP, I thought you meant the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. People used to wear them here, I don't know why it stopped.

by Anonymousreply 1611/10/2012

[quote] People used to wear them here, I don't know why it stopped.

Deidre was successful in her campaign to have people stop wearing them.

by Anonymousreply 1711/10/2012

OK for a second i thought the Deidre screed was real. Well done.

Until i googled 'Deidre Hall poppy' and got this thread.

by Anonymousreply 1811/10/2012

The Deidre Hall rant was originally about the AIDS ribbon.

by Anonymousreply 1911/10/2012

Growing up in Boston in the late 1960s, I saw lots of people wearing poppies.

by Anonymousreply 2011/10/2012

Wow the spoof left out the tidbit about DL fav Bar "Beautiful Mind" Bush from the original:

[quote]First, it misguidedly politicizes human tragedy. These red ribbons provide a means by which public figures can appear to make a "politically correct" statement in favor of a cause they do not support. A prime example was Barbara Bush wearing a red ribbon while seated among the audience at the Republican National Convention but removing it before joining the president on the podium.

Now I hate Bar even more.

by Anonymousreply 2111/10/2012

[quote]A prime example was Barbara Bush wearing a red ribbon while seated among the audience at the Republican National Convention but removing it before joining the president on the podium.

That wasn't a red ribbon, it was blood from an earlier kill.

by Anonymousreply 2211/10/2012

I grew up on Long Island in the 50s and 60s and we had a poppy in our kitchen "junk drawer" and my dad wore it every year until it finally fell apart.

by Anonymousreply 2311/10/2012

We wore red poppies in the US as well. My mom bought them in Fairfield Ct in the late 1950s or maybe 1960. I remember people wearing them.

It's not a political statement. It's a tribute to the war dead. Since Britain certainly suffered more in both world wars than the US did they are much more cognizant of the sacrifices made. Just like their eternal hatred of Jerry. And probably rightfully so.

by Anonymousreply 2411/10/2012

In response to reply 10 , yes many Irish soldiers did fight and die in British wars, the majority of whom, including my own grandfather, fought as they were promised the return of Irish sovereignty. A promise that was broken! The poppy to many Irish Catholics is seen as a reminder of the ongoing abuses dished out by Britain for god knows how many years! As a younger Irish catholic I knew which areas were safe for me and which areas weren't by the presence of the poppy. We may be in a period of transition but the troubles were a very difficult part of our lives, and unfortunately the poppy is still used to mark territories and alliances! I'm surprised how naive your response is considering you claim to live here!

by Anonymousreply 2511/10/2013

I wear a white poppy, and the money collected for those goes to pacifist organisations. That is how I honour the war dead - not through retro-chic militarist peer pressure.

by Anonymousreply 2611/10/2013

I wear a live opium poppy and give it a good snort whilst waiting for the tube.

by Anonymousreply 2711/10/2013

I live in New Zealand, and no, it's not really a thing to wear a poppy for Remembrance Day. In fact, I'd go so far as to suggest a lot of New Zealanders would not have a clue about Remembrance Day. We do, however, wear red poppies for Anzac Day (April 25). April 25 is the day New Zealand and Australian soldiers (ANZACs) landed on the shores of Gallipoli. But generally, Anzac Day commemorates the New Zealanders killed in war as well as returned servicemen/women.

by Anonymousreply 2811/10/2013

I grew up wearing a red poppy on Veterans' Day in the MidWest. When I moved to NYC, there was an elderly vet who sold them in Grand Central just before the holiday so I always bought one from him. However, since he's gone, I haven't seen anyone else doing this. I guess the American Legion is dead and gone here.

by Anonymousreply 2911/10/2013

the Red Poppy is a symbol of all those valiant and brave soldiers from across the British Empire who so gallantly gave their lives to keep China (and its' lucrative opium trade ) British .

by Anonymousreply 3011/10/2013

I wear a poppy for a VERY different reason.

by Anonymousreply 3111/10/2013

You are wrong, r4. They are pretty ubiquitous here in Quebec. Watch the news and all the separatist and federalists currently debating the Accommodation act are wearing poppies.

by Anonymousreply 3211/10/2013

In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow, Loved and were loved, and now we lie In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe: To you from failing hands we throw The torch; be yours to hold it high. If ye break faith with us who die We shall not sleep, though poppies grow In Flanders fields.

by Anonymousreply 3311/10/2013

R4 doesn't know what he's talking about. I will wear a poppy if I happen to see a vet selling them. No military in my family but it's to show respect.

by Anonymousreply 3511/10/2013

[quote]It's odd for Canadians to wear them, since Canadians have long since ceased to believe in the spirit of the poem.

Go write a poem about a drone strike. What do you know about the spirit of this poem?

by Anonymousreply 3611/11/2013

Hell no. Fuck war.

by Anonymousreply 3711/11/2013

The AMERICAN Legion became a professional anti-Communist, almost McCarthyite, war-mongering organization. I think it still is. That's why I would never wear a poppy.

by Anonymousreply 3811/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.