Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

'Obama cries as he thanks campaign workers'

In the most candid and emotional scene ever captured of Barack Obama on camera, the normally composed US president teared up as he told young campaign workers of his pride in them.

Obama's campaign team distributed a video of the president's emotional tribute to his team at his Chicago headquarters the day before, hours after he won re-election to a second term.

"What you guys have done, means the work that I am doing is important, I am really proud of that, I am really proud of all of you," Obama said around three minutes in before pausing as tears welled up and dampened his cheek.

"I am absolutely confident that all of you are going to do just amazing things in your lives," Obama said, standing alone at a microphone with a poster of his slogan "Forward!" behind him on the wall.

"What Bobby Kennedy called the ripples of hope that come out when you throw a stone in a lake, that is going to be you," Obama said, his voice still hoarse from days of campaigning.

The video was posted on and was distributed by campaign staff on Twitter and email.

Obama campaign manager Jim Messina said in an email to supporters that the president was not just talking to campaign workers in the office, but to all the thousands of volunteers who built his huge grassroots movement.

"He was talking to all of you," Messina wrote in the email.

Obama, famed for his cool, "no drama" persona, has sometimes been accused of showing too little emotion in public and appearing aloof. He nonetheless got teary in stump speeches at the end of both his 2008 and 2012 presidential campaigns. But he has rarely displayed the kind of raw emotion that was seen in the video.

by Anonymousreply 1511/10/2012

Man, I'm a big crybaby over these kinds of things.

There's a certain sense of nostalgia when you know you've come to the "end of the road," so to speak.

Looking at the faces of the next generation... at the fresh, hopeful young kids who are going to lead our country in 20 or 30 years. I know exactly what he's feeling.

Obama's campaign is done. And now he has four more years to do his best to put our country on the right track. To expand the middle class, to get us out of senseless wars, to get more people back to work, and to make sure that our elderly and our very young and our poor and disabled have access to healthcare.

Most people just think of the bickering and the partisan bullshit. But what we just accomplished by giving Obama four more years, may be the real reward.

I still have hope that he'll meet his own lofty expectations and rhetoric, and do right by our country, in a way that Mitt Romney never could or would have done.

Really, I do.

by Anonymousreply 111/09/2012

Another emotional final speech of the campaign...

I really never expected it of this guy. He always seemed so calm, cool and collected. But he's so introspective, when it comes to his place in history. It's really fascinating.

I wonder if most Presidents are this self-aware of the impact they have on the world?

by Anonymousreply 211/09/2012

Immediately following this speech, the workers' credit cards were cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 411/09/2012

Listening to Obama's words I was again reminded that he is a humanist. Obama believes in the potential value and goodness of people and he cares about the needs and welfare of all people. There are issues I disagree with him about, but I am thankful that he is our President rather than a man like Romney and his GOP cohorts who have nothing but contempt for anyone who is not exactly like them.

by Anonymousreply 511/09/2012

You're muddling up Obama and Romney, R4, silly billy. I know Repugs aren't known for their smarts, but that was just a simple one.

by Anonymousreply 611/09/2012

R3 you are an asshole.

This President stood up for principle when it could have cost him an election, he asked for FULL equality for gay and lesbian Americans on EVERY issue from marriage to immigration to tax policy. He's the first President in history to do so. He has proven once and for all you can be for equality and not make us the scapegoats of politics.

Are you really so bitter that you have to put up nonsense like that?

by Anonymousreply 711/09/2012

I saw this on the Ed show last night. I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 811/09/2012

With a mandate at his back there is no reason that Obama shouldn't make advances on progressive issues other than LGBT concerns.

Let's see if he accomplishes, or even advocates, for the following legislation:

Fight for the Employee Free Choice Act.

Fight to raise the minimum wage from its paltry $7.25.

Say no to Israel's plans against Iran.

Cut the military budget.

Stand firm on Social Security and Medicare.

Say no to Boehner and the "grand bargain."

Stop the Keystone Pipeline.

Free Bradley Manning and all other whistle blowers.

End the record number of deportations.

Prosecute the Wall Street crooks before the statue of limitations lets them off scot-free.

Prosecute the torturers.

End the assassination of U.S. citizens without trial.

End drone attacks.

Support public schools against the charter school movement and the drive to privatize education.

Forgive student loans.

Establish a mortgage renegotiation process that helps most homeowners who are underwater.

Stand with public employee unions.

End corporate welfare for big oil, gas and coal companies.

Require Medicare to negotiate with the pharmaceutical companies for lower drug prices.

He'll do all those things, right?

Some of them?

One or two?

by Anonymousreply 911/09/2012

This is a great video. Contrast this with Romney- canceling cards and essentially telling his staff to gtfo.

by Anonymousreply 1011/09/2012

I love this. I had to pause it when I first saw it.

by Anonymousreply 1111/09/2012

I fucking LOVE our president. That is all.

by Anonymousreply 1211/09/2012

[quote]Stand firm on Social Security and Medicare.

I suspect Obama will compromise on Social Security and Medicare to a degree that will make liberals very unhappy -- similar to what we felt when he ruled out single-payer healthcare.

by Anonymousreply 1311/10/2012

My cousin's, who is like a sister to me, daughter-in-law was at this very small gathering. She worked for him in Minneapolis. She is going to be sending the family her videos and pictures of the gathering. I can't wait to see them!

by Anonymousreply 1411/10/2012

So now I have to compete with him?

by Anonymousreply 1511/10/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!